Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

Given level of food banks and poverty in the UK,

Looks to me the royalty would want to pull finger out and actually work to make this money go around.....

there will likely be people whom use food banks at this opulence funeral,and see nothing wrong with such inequality....thousands homeless there while palaces lie emthy

propaganda is a powerful powerful tool

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Currently watching the coffin cortege, it's like a flat stage in the tour de France. Maybe they should have a few intermediate sprints to liven up the coverage.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You always hear this. The RF costs a certain amount yearly. Many millions. All they generate pretty much goes to the treasury.

They generate many millions for the British/economy/treasury. I’m not an economist, but there are those saying that RF pays for itself, and some, and those saying it’s not a good deal.

bottom line: it has existed for a long time in unison with “regular” Britain. It’s part of the same country/state as all Britons. It contributes. That for sure.

Scrapping RF won’t at all dent/eliminate poverty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It must be a lot of pressure for the drivers and the police being filmed all along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Show some stiff upper lip man, never let those paddies get the idea they are getting you ruffled!

🙈🙉🙊

And Brit opinion is not the tone policed monolithic groupthink enforced spiel of msm: to use a word /dog whistle beloved by some there is nuance.

Correct me,if I'm wrong,but aren't they the largest landowners in the UK

You can't honestly think it's ok,to have people in dire poverty struggling to feed emselves and simultaneously have same country supporting a royal family.....there no better than the poorest down & out or people on welfare whom demonized over there,and there's no justification for the money poured into propping em up,

It's literally institutionalised inequality

But it’s the big question : if monarchy/RF disappeared, would Britain be financially wealthier or not?

a lot of their presence and work/benefit is also not measurable in money terms.

Two sides: pro and anti monarchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I feel I respect most cultures and traditions around the world. Quite sad that you can’t see past your bitterness and bigotry to try and understand why the majority of British people want the monarchy to continue and indeed the majority of Irish people found our monarch to be their most popular leader on these islands

It would not have to prop them up,and all monies received for rent etc go straight into tax take

Their is no benefit that justifies the wealth inequality they cause....no country that has removed royalty has ever returned to it,it's about 200 years out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think you might be stretching it there! I'm sure there are plenty of people employed but these could just as easily be public servants rather in the employ of the monarchy. If they wanted to reform the monarchy in the UK, one way would to rejig the financial underpinning of same. Keep the royal family succession but simply fund it straight from parliament.

Just watching Edinburgh here. Very beautifully scenic place. Queen arriving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I never doubted the bitterness of some nationalists in my community but my WhatsApp is filling up now with videos from local rural pubs of mass singing of “lizzy’s in a box” etc. I am shocked at the extent of it. It will be very important that nationalist leaders speak out clearly about these hate crimes in the same way as they rightly spoke out about the songs about the young woman from Tyrone. Employers also need to follow suit on that case and dismiss those identified.

The money they generate (huge amounts) goes to treasurey . Goes to the people. Any wealth inequality needs to be addressed by elected officials here.

With or without a RF, there will always be wealth/inequality. It’s part of life/society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Suckler

It's quite crass that you feign mourning to point score with strangers on the internet.

that's some crowd in Edinburgh. Nice to see

As I pointed out above, I'd reckon as a people, we might have a soft spot for a dynastic family that would provide a succession of heads of state. Look at how we fawn over Grace O'Malley (Gráinne Mhaoil), Brian Boru, Queen Maedbh, even McMurrough Kavanagh and so on. We love a tribe - see the success of the Healy Raes and that many other politicians have family dynasties. We'd love it and lap it up.

TBF it's bloody weird when people here, fawn over someone over who their family is

I'm always reminded of the quip,by a FG TD to marc mcsharry,in that he's a great example of how greatness skips a generation

People should stand on their own merit imo

• Advertisement

Someone pointed out on RTE news earlier that we have our elected president and have sort of managed so far to avoid disasters. If the Brits had an elected head of state they could equally be open to all sorts - Boris, Branson, Nigel Farage, Mary Berry, Attenborough etc. Whoever has enough popularity and/or money. Monarchy serves well in that regard, boring but safe and predictable on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Were they? I'm sure the denizens of the diseased slums of the East End of London were delighted with their lot. High infant mortality rates, rampant prostitution, venereal disease alcoholism etc.

In your mind's eye I can tell you're thinking of whistling jolly chimney sweeps like Oliver etc etc.

It's this type of mawkish regard for a golden era of settled British life that never existed that gave us Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Set the cruise control for 30mph and keep an eye on Google Maps. Easy-peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

It’s quite the question indeed. The crown estate is worth approximately £35 Billion. For context the UK yearly pension bill is over £100B.

Even if you could liquidise the assets overnight it’s drop in the ocean and would be a one off benefit. Then it’s gone. No more yearly revenue to the Treasury.

And who do you sell it to ? You’d be making a lot of people homeless and jobless if you did. Shopkeepers, farmers, staff etc. The entirety of regents st is owned by the Crown estate.

You could keep the assets and repurpose the palaces. Manage them more efficiently etc. The current yearly profit on the estate is around £300m. (That’s just under a fiver a year for every man woman and child in the UK - meh)

I do agree the optics of it all don’t look great though. There’s no denying It is extreme opulence and luxury for a privileged few. I don’t think abolishing the monarchy and selling off the assets is the poverty busting solution to the current crisis, but a scaling back and trimming-the-fat approach would at least make it more palatable.

The monarchy is by no means useless. We’d still need a head of state. This wouldn’t come cheap either.

No overnight solutions here. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t consider the options.

I listened to that. Brings lot more stability.

Yep, that's where the reforms will have to come. What do they call it these days, downsizing :)

Exactly. Two sides, and no actual right/wrong answer. To date the RF and Britain side by side have been doing ok. Of course, you will hear two sides arguing. There are pros and cons to having the monarchy. For British people it is about finding a balance. And of course, their decision to have it or not.

Indeed. Look at the visit to Ireland and the impact that it had (squandered of course by the current crop of Brexit politicians). And compare to a scenario in which the state visit had been carried out by a UK president - probably some washed up and partisan politician or celebrity nominated by their party. Or a business person doing it just for the celebrity factor. The scenarios don't compare. The monarchy has, and will retain for many years, a huge level of soft power and diplomatic influence

I do not for one second believe that the British public could elect a head of state who is not overtly political. And should the monarchy be abolished I would be very surprised if Boris Johnson doesn't make it into the hot seat at some stage. The monarchy is a stabilising influence that is to the benefit of the UK, and by extension the UK's partners.

I don't disagree with the wealth criticisms, and I think that King Charles will slim things down, and William will inherit a much smaller monarchy. What it costs the country on a day to day basis is not material, but the stores of land and wealth (mostly land and property) could certainly be put to better public use.

From a constitutional perspective, a much bigger issue is the composition of the house of lords, which absolutely should be an elected chamber

• Registered Users Posts: 25,859 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

She is nowhere near as important as any of the Prime Minister's during her reign. You can add to that the leader of any major country.

You are really not hurting me with the "revelation" I am a nobody. I didn't work my way up out of the slums to a position of importance like Liz did.

• Advertisement

• Imagine if the satnav had issues and lead vehicle took the wrong direction and they all ended up in sone estate… and not of the grandiose type 😁

Advertisement