Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s definitely noticeable, but perhaps relatively minor compared to the overall size difference. The Switch overall seems tiny in handheld compared to the gargantuan Deck. But the screen is a limited factor in that: it’s more the sheer physical heft of the SD that makes the difference.

As Grumpypants mentioned though a lot of PC games won’t have been optimised for Deck - indeed, the ‘text is small’ is the most frequent reason in my experience for games being rated ‘yellow - playable’ rather than ‘green - verified’. But there is also the in-built text magnifier shortcut to try to counter that - a slightly awkward solution tbh, but a solution nonetheless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers JU. Just had a look at that magnifier in action and it seems like a decent workaround. That should do the trick if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

So what's everyone (who's gotten theirs) been playing?

I never actually played GTA 5, so it's my current go to. It suits the deck really well once you get it working. It looks and runs great with PS4 equivalent settings.

Also dipping into Far Cry 5, Blur, Halo MCC, Mario Kart 8, and Duke Nukem 3D World Tour.

There's a certain level of tinkering needed to get some games working. But it hasn't been defeated yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I got mine back in early April and so far I have mostly played 2 types of game on the Deck so far; Games from the PS3/360 era that ran terribly on those consoles, and PS2/Gamecube emulated titles that are looking and running way better than on OG hardware.

So far have played thru the Dead Space trilogy, Enslaved, Spec Ops The Line, MGS Twin Snakes, Second Sight, LOTR 3rd Age and Jedi Fallen order. All looked and ran fantastically - had to drop to 40 fps with Fallen Order but that's a fairly demanding game so fair enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Vampire Survivors is a must-have. Such a strange and modest killer app for such a technically impressive piece of hardware, but can’t deny that gameplay loop is perfect for a handheld.

Rollerdrome is a great new title perfect for the Deck. A smooth 60 FPS, great short burst gameplay, and made for a controller. Art design looks just as good on a small screen too.

Citizen Sleeper also plays great on it (ditto Switch, mind you) and is one of the best games of the year.

Dying Light 1 is also a perfect fit for it in my experience (vastly superior to the Switch version and even the last gen console version), along with the likes of Vanquish and Bayonetta.

I do still think it’s a shame Half-Life 2 doesn’t play that great on it - it’s runs perfectly with lots of UI tweaks, but it’s a mouse and keyboard game first and foremost, and the lack of any kind of aim assist is a killer on Deck (unless you’re adept at gyro aiming). Would love to see Valve give it another pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It is also handheld so unlike the telly when it is too far away, you can just hold it nearer your face 😀

A side by side for you. I do find in game mode it is easy to read text. Desktop mode is a bit worse but I'm generally only in desktop mode to add art work to unsupported games so my Library looks nice 😄

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thanks for that comparison, I have the same Switch controllers so at least I'm prepared for the rough size of the deck, if not the weight. 🙂 I reckon if I was in desktop mode for any length of time setting things up I might just hook it up to a monitor. Going to get a 512MB micro sd rather than bother replacing the internal memory. Went back and read through the thread again and thanks for your various posts with different tips and how-to's, they're very useful. 👍️

Yeah I wouldn't mess with the guts. SD card works as fast as the SSD so no need to not use them. The good thing is you can hot swap them, if you fill the 528, and the installed games on the new card just pop up in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Arru

I'm loving the Deck, there are some games I prefer playing in handheld vs the desktop, and when it shines it shines.

I love the way I can play Dinkum instead of Animal Crossing, Multiverus instead of Smash, and Pummel Party instead of Mario Party.

I am wondering however if Temtem is worth it for a Pokemon replacement game. It has a platinum rating on ProtonDB, which is fantastic, but I'm still for some reason cautious about it.

I'm not sure anything can really replicate Breath of the Wild however, unless anyone has any suggestions for that? (Please don't say Skyrim).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

I'm tempted to jump in the queue for one of these. Been doing a bit of research and it seems like a nice bit of hardware. My only concern is that I currently don't have a PC or Steam Library so I'd be starting fresh.

I'm wondering is the main advantage of having an existing library to jump into and being able to use it as an extension for PC gaming lost on me.

Main draw I can see at the moment for me is cheaper indies than Switch and exposure to a lot more than are available on Switch and I'd also like to look into emulation on it. Also the odd AAA game playing well in handheld as opposed to downgraded Switch ports but this wouldn't be the main draw.

Anyone else on here get a Steam Deck having not had a PC and how you finding it?

I keep changing my mind every day about going through with my order 😂 and I probably won't make a final decision until the order email comes in (I'm at 88% atm).

The main thing putting me off is like the poster above, I've never been a PC gamer so I've no steam library. I also hate buying the same game twice on different systems and the main games I'd play on the deck is games that I already own on Xbox/PS just to play them handheld.

I love the idea of emulation on it to play old games but I'm useless with computers so I'm worried I'll mess up the deck by downloading the wrong files or something 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm also a consoles man who has never dipped into PC gaming but I don't see not having a steam library as a disadvantage. I got my email on thursday and paid for it straight away, I'm like a kid at Christmas now

I think this is the perfect gateway for me into PC gaming. The main reason for me getting the deck is emulation and from what I have read up on and the comments on here emulation appears to be very straightforward.

Because you have so many other options it doesn't matter too much. I stream from my playstation, Xbox or stadia more than I play pc games these days.

It's never too late to start a Library on steam. A few good humble bundles will have you up and running in no time.

At least you don't have to wait for a sub par switch remakes that cost full price when you can now pick it up on steam for a few euros.

I do love playing handheld on my switch but my main gripe with Switch is that after decent ports like Skyrim and Witcher, I was hoping they'd bring over more 360/XB1 era games (Fallout 3/New Vegas are games I've mentioned here before) so it would be great to have the deck for games from back then to play handheld and at decent prices.

I've been looking at the Humble Bundles and they seem like great value. I do love my Switch and I'm a fan of the likes of Xenoblade and Fire Emblem so that would still have its place, but the Steam Deck is looking a lot more of a versatile gadget. I have Witcher on Switch but it's a downgraded port and Steam Deck looks a much more viable option for games like that if I wanted them portable.

I have small kids and can't see myself getting a PC any time soon so Steam Deck would be a good way to get into PC gaming without needung a gaming rig and all that goes with that.

Might jump in the queue for 256gb model, not seeing any major advantage of the top of the line version as an SD card will be needed to boost storage for either model anyway.

The Witcher 3 was around €6 in the recent steam sale. So even at that price they are often worth double dipping.

I'd be triple dipping there. One of my favourite games and have it on Xbox and Switch. Was looking at comparison between it running on Deck and Switch and the difference is nuts. Not that I expected the Switch to compete but its a huge difference. And your getting that performance at 6 quid for the game versus 40 for Switch port. I think I might have just convinced myself :) Now do I need 256 or 512 version

I went with the 256, you can pick up a 500gb SD handy enough. I think I got one in a recent prime deal for under €40. You can hot swap them too so if it does fill up you can have two...or three 🤣.

Then I got this anti glare screen protector. It's a nice fit and doesn't dull the brightness. It's only €22. Barely notice it's on and doesn't pick up finger prints as badly as the normal screen does.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09X82S4XL?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

There are also dozens of key sites where you can pick up games at sale prices all year round.

If you're interested at all in replaying older titles it really is a no-brainer.

It's also the only console where you can play Valheim, Halo Infinite, Spider-Man and Breath of the Wild.

Some games need quite a bit of tinkering to get running well, but it's worth it for the versatility.

Even the 64gb model is grand if you just keep the internal storage for the OS/proton and their your games on micro SD cards.

• Advertisement

Ordered a 512gb model there. Presume I just wait it out now and hope its pre Christmas. Thanks for the info folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just got my notification for a 512, pre-ordered in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Got mine yesterday. So far, I love it! Was playing the Witcher 3 on it yesterday which runs and plays extremely well on it.

Tried Half-Life 1/2, they run perfectly fine but aiming can be a hassle, but the trackpad is pretty good.

Thankfully the dock work provided to me works with the deck so I would say I’ll probably spend most of my time with it there unless I’m going on holidays.

I haven’t had a PC for gaming for about 15 years and I don’t have much room, so it’s ideal for me to get into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Don't forget to grab the Free Epic game(s) every Thursday to build that collection, they've given away some great games for free in the past few years, e.g. Control, Metro: Last Light Redux & 2033 Redux, Prey(2017), Tomb Raider Trilogy, GTA 5, Alien Isolation, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Watch Dogs 2, Alan Wake, Wolfenstein: New Order, Bioshock: The Collection, Borderlands 3, XCOM 2

Paid for my 256GB version last Thursday, shipping email yesterday.......soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

When did you pay for yours and get your tracking number? I'm still in the limbo of it having left the Netherlands but not yet hit Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Paid on Sunday the 4th, shipped the following Tuesday, so took just over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Thanks, you're basically the batch before me. May still get it this week so

Thanks, I've been signed up and nabbing the free games for the last few months. Had previously thought I needed a PC to register and nab the free games so I missed out on some decent freebies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Just on the Epic Store, another thing( may not be relevant to you but might be useful for others) is that if you use a 3 sim and are prepay, you can use the 3 credit to buy games on the epic store, its capped at 50 euro but they do 10 euro discount vouchers in the summer and Christmas which along with discounts brings the prices to something more reasonable, i picked up the new(at the time) Final Fantast 7 remake with that last Christmas.

Advertisement