Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭combat14

Homebuyer’s remorse: most people who bought a house recently have regrets

Buyers are most remorseful about overpaying for a property, which 30% of Americans say they did. The median amount buyers paid over the original asking price on their new homes was $65,000, according to the survey. 

coming to dublin soon 😆

i think that’s valid if you are moving from your owned home to another owned home. Less so if you’re renting and blowing €24k per year, maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Is there a source for the 60% getting support. Was looking around and couldn't find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

The figure is 54% of renters is receiving some sort of rental assistance from the local council or government. 60% is what we were saying could happen by the end of the year or some time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But those that include those in LA and housing association houses or is it 54% in the private rental sector

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

One area I'm looking in was up to this year selling a three bed house at an average of 400-430k depending on condition of the house on the property price register.

In the last couple of months the base price has increased to 440-450k and one property went for over 520k.

Bidding wars are insane right now, estate agents are of course driving it, but people need to take responsibility for what they're paying as well. It's hard to imagine that those properties will be worth that amount five years down the line as well as the fact that a large number of people I'm seeing at viewings are being blown out of the water and all vendors in the area are now expecting the same type of money for their properties.

It's getting to a point where it's almost impossible to buy anything, there would have to be a long cooling down period to temper vendor expectations from where it is now, you'd have to see properties sitting on the market for extended periods before price drops are entertained.

I'd imagine there will be a few people regretting what they've paid once they're in their properties paying massive mortgages.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I think it's really variable. I viewed one house yesterday - beautiful condition, really well renovated, B-rating for efficiency. Loads of people at the viewing and I expect it to go well over asking (and well past my budget.) There's another house I viewed, quite nearby, been up for a while, not in bad condition but E-rated and needs some work, and so far I'm the only bidder on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Villa05

I'm glad we acknowledge that for renting and purchasing, it was easier in the past, tough but very much achievable.

I can't argue too much against your renting regulation argument. It has encouraged vacancy and supply anomalies.

Reits are only an issue in Dublin and maybe Cork but the rental crisis is now nationwide.

I would question reits higher cost as standards were reduced to facilitate them in increasing supply. In addition most of their acquisitions were done in a distressed market, so I would argue the opposite. They also have the cherry on top of paying close to 0 tax and the icing of long term leasing to the state

We have created a monster that feeds on our young no matter what way you dress it up

Many of my foreign colleagues are living in dread of getting notice in their rentals. They have made plans to leave in such a scenario.

My neighbour just got his notice, a beacon in the community, a landlords dream, Mr fix it. I'd expect him and his family to leave, all educated here and the eldest in third level. We are scrambling to find something for them {if you know of anything, can you pm me, he's a couple of weeks into 3 month notice, mid west)

Now think of the cost both in direct and indirect costs of that 1 decision and multiply it throughout the country.

The cost is stated at 0.5 billion so its just private rental. We were paying well over 1 billion in total housing supports before the war with it expected to reach 2 billion very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

You'd really wonder how all this is gonna play out over the next 6-12 months. Especially given the following:

On the latter, I heard from a risk assessor in one of the banks that they are expecting a significant amount of mortgage defaults "soon". This was a number of months back. You'd have to reckon that those on trackers and variable rates will be the worst hit. Tracker holders will have gotten used to a lifestyle that likely won't be able to continue in an era of higher rates and even higher day to day costs.

But folk coming off fixed rates in the next 6-12 months will also be in for a shock when their new, potentially almost double, interest rate comes into effect. Not good.

• Advertisement

I'm noticing massively fewer folk at open viewings now, at least when it comes to fixer uppers. Last month there's been me and a couple of others at them whereas a while back they'd be very busy. Absolutely noone showing any interest either and seemingly being much more discerning. To be expected given everything. These are highly popular/desirable areas of Dublin as well.

The outlier has been the one turn key property I viewed on the south side. In a less desirable area and initially priced competitively given it had a lovely extension and generous garden. But now bid up to an absurd price given the location (around 100-150k over similar properties without extension, a couple of years ago the price difference would be 200k or more). The thing is, the house is nice inside but you do have to leave it from time to time :D and the area is rough. At its price now you'd get a habitable fixer upper in a good suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Are evictions still very low?

For people who decide to stop paying their mortgage, will this affect their lives in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Very few on variable rates. Most will have fixed in the last 3-6 months. Anybody on a tracker has 14-20 years of there mortgage's paid off.

People coming off fixed rates may have refixed, anyway fixed did not necessarily follow ECB rate % for %.

Slava Ukrainii

Jim powers assessment is interesting appears to suggest that the covid bounce needs to be erased and prices and rents are crazy

“Irish residential property prices and rents are at obscene levels. Policymakers are either unwilling to or incapable of addressing the problem. Meanwhile, house prices continue to rise......

If prices continue to rise, it will move the market into a very dangerous situation, which could ultimately result in a more sharp correction. Personally, I would welcome a 30pc correction, but I don’t see it happening

Separately, the years have been kind to Constantin Gurdgiev

That assumes of course that in 12 months time the ECB is not signalling aggressively cutting rates back toward zero to try to dig us out of a deep recession. You’re right I probably wouldn’t want to be fixing within the next 12 months, but after that I think that rates will be falling fast

I'd imagine they're near zero. But mortgage defaults means bad credit, which can make things for your future self more difficult.

Time will tell I suppose. I don't share your optimism, but that's the pessimist in me :D

Yep, that's the expectation for the Fed anyway. Would reckon the same will happen in EU, ie aggressive rate rises followed by cuts. But again, who knows. Signs of recession here with increase in household saving vs spending. Such sentiment plays a large role in the bringing on of recession.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2022/09/09/irish-households-prepare-for-financial-squeeze-by-saving-more/

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Many have been expecting the Fed to being the pivot in early '23. That now looks like a pipe dream. Rates are going to go (and stay) higher (for longer) than most expected. The shills pushing for a return to the ZIRP environment are looking a tad exposed these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Many people on this thread, especially @awec , the guy who keeps spreading bad information really need to read this line from the article a few times.

"The idea that house prices are determined by supply and demand is an infantile view of how the market works."

I said same thing and was called deluded.

• Advertisement

The theory about property prices growing because people's salaries increase is a bit suspect also.

The correlation between property prices and wages broke a long time ago.

Alot of theory testing in short to medium term

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

There's 100 buyers available to buy one of 200 houses. This is a seller's market is what you're implying.

Or else, there's 100 buyers available to buy 50 houses. They try and outbid each other in order to secure one of the 50 houses and selling prices are obviously based on what they can afford to pay. We add into this mix that the hundred buyers get a salary increase...

You would be surprised how many wouldn't have fixed their interest rates or wouldn't even know that they could do it. The type that would whinge the minute their monthly payment increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

The columnist answers the question.

That’s what is hiking prices in Ireland — not supply and demand. You could cover all your land in concrete and prices will still rise, so long as mainly foreign capital is free to invest in finite Irish assets.

She's saying stop the zero taxation of international REITs or simply prohibit them from operating in Ireland to fix the market.

She then goes on to say it's likely the plates stop spinning. Might be worth reading the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

One of the “infants” in the same article does seem to link supply/demand to property price. Of course price is multi factorial.

"But I don’t believe it is comparable to 2008, as credit flows and big government spending cuts will not be part of it. If there is a very large shock to property demand, then prices could fall. However, with very large supply shortages, it is highly unlikely that declines will be significant or prolonged.”

Unfortunately many "experts" are no wiser than infants.

And recognised experts don’t always agree. The first economist in that article states it is infantile to link property price with demand/supply, the second economist does just that. So I suppose it could be considered equally infantile to believe one expert, whilst discounting the other based on which one supports the narrative you want to push.

If you keep saying something for long enough, some day you might be right, then you can tell everyone that your prediction was right all along.

We add into this mix that the hundred buyers get a salary increase...

If you work for a private company or a MNC and didn't get a salary increase this year, you almost likely have missed the boat for any big salary increase.

This is the time of the year that most companies budget for the next fiscal year, and we are in a totally different place compared to this time last year - even with covid. Most companies will be very conservative with their budgeting for sure.

Ann Pettifor did predict the 2008 crash .... I think that earns more credibility. Regardless, I already put my money where my mouth is.

Some interesting questions for you to ponder....

Does low housing supply result in higher prices? Or does higher prices result in low housing supply?, how much does central bank and government policy affect house prices?

Ill let you answer and tell you if you are right.

• Advertisement

My answer to all three, none in isolation lead to price changes, as I said earlier, market change is multi factorial.

There are many economists predicting a crash, how could they not? But how many are certain of when it will be/how bad it will be/how long it will last? None I would suspect.

As that article makes clear, the same conditions do not exist today as did in 2008, so Ms Pettifor is hedging her bets and speaking in generalities. Why? Because every crash is different.

I don’t need you to tell me if I am right, no one, not even you has the answer. You have just read 3 economists give differing opinions in one article. It takes a particular type of arrogance to believe you are right on a subject with so many variables.

Advertisement