Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapy problem

Options
  • 10-09-2022 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been seeing a therapist for the past while and it really helps but he needs to take a month to 6 weeks off to deal with some personal issues of his own.

I completely understand this but just not sure how to get myself through the next few weeks while he’s unavailable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Is there another therapist at the same practice he can recommend for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

They usually recommend someone local. If not post in regional pages here. The very best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He didn’t do that so I expect it’s something urgent on his part but maybe I could ask the centre he works for.

I wonder though would it be difficult starting over with someone new for that period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

How frequently do you usually see the therapist? You could enquire at the centre if someone else will be available should you need some interim support.

Usually once a week but sometimes can miss a week if I’m tied up at work or something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’d assume you’ve been learning skills throughout your work with him that you can apply to support yourself whilst he’s unavailable. A month is not a long time to go without therapy unless things are so severe that you’re under the care of adult mental health services. This can be a good opportunity to practice applying whatever you’ve learned with your therapist and work on being your own support while he’s away.

To see another therapist for 4-6 weeks would be very disruptive for you, probably more so than just waiting until your therapist is back. Again though, if you’re at risk of self harm, you should speak to either your therapist or your GP to discuss appropriate supports.

Think I’m going to do this.

Reluctant to go into detail to avoid identifying my therapist or myself. I feel like starting again with someone else after all the work we’ve done wouldn’t be any help to me unless I’m feeling really down.

As you say it could be a trial of how I manage without his support

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Goodigal

I agree with Faith that if possible, try to put in place the mechanisms the therapist has given you to manage yourself week to week.

If you're really having a bad day while he's away, text Hello to 50808 to chat with a crisis volunteer who can listen to you and chat about how you're doing. We aren't trained therapists but it's a lovely supportive service for those struggling. Good luck.

Is that just texting over and back or do they call you?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Goodigal

Texting back and forth. We don't ring people unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement