Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann I think got this one wildly wrong no? Rained hard here in South Wicklow from 11 until 4.30 or so, just warm and muggy now. Their forecast is still warning of heavy rain tonight and into tomorrow for the SE but not seeing that on other forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Another warning has been issued for Southern and south Eastern countries, met eirrean defo got this wrong, at times I wish met office issued our warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

So there we go, another headline grabbing warning and we end up with a wet morning in Cork, followed by drizzle and fog. A few puddles around with places prone to surface flooding pooling.

We really do need to get a grip of these warnings, as I mentioned last week the UK use them a lot less than we do. Ya see the general public don't really follow yellow, orange and reds like we do, they just here the warning part. It's a flawed system, with the bar needed to be set higher in my opinion for the yellows!!

Any idea what the 24 hour rainfall totals for Cork were out of interest? Felt the ME forecast was very hysterical last night.

The rain didn't seem to start in Cork until about 4am, which was much later than forecast, and apart from some very heavy pulses around 9-10am, wasn't that bad at all. Some of the rain earlier in the week was far worse.

We have seen an incredible amount of rain since the weather broke the previous Friday, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Check out

The south coastline is ranging from about 30 to 38. Castletownbere reads at 43.7mm

Thanks, but the rainfall accumulations hasn't been working for me. Must be a browser issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

29mm in Cobh, although my sensor was blocked and it probably took a few mm to unblock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Don't know but the 2nd attack from the South never materialised. Can't blame Met Eireann as the models kind of changed tack within 12 hours. This is not a bashing exercise for Met Eireann as they do a great job. What I would like to see though is an open discussion as to whether these warnings criteria are set too low, especially the yellow one. In a world dominated by social media perhaps a more imminent warning would work better and be more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Posted in wrong thread earlier oops

Stopped raining in Meath 330pm after it started after 9am. Dark, dull. 16⁰

Kerry Climbing not impressed with Met Eiteann orange weather warning up to 3pm in SW.......... having cancelled sold out guided hike........ with warm sunny spells in Kerry when they would have being starting.

Raining again in Meath since 830pm. So mild 18⁰.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

This site won't work for me either so never use it. Oh wait used it on that hot day in July to see the temperatures but computer crashed. Its a dud.

Just look at ogimet as that loads properly like every other website. Think they have 31mm for Cork today. A reasonable amount but not really yellow warning. Maybe just an advisory would do these events.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Turned out a great day in Kerry, mild and humid, got up over 21C at my site.

Pic: Tralee Bay late afternoon.

I'm using Chrome, it is slow to pull up the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Didn't get below 15c here in Ashbourne last night. Vile humid muck,hopefully the last of these muggy nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Kerry Climbing shouldn’t be organising a hike for a day such as yesterday regardless of what colour the warning criteria was. So what if it’s sold out, it was torrential rainfall for hours. One wrong foot or slip and you could have a serious situation or loss of life. Rocks could be loose, streams pumping water across paths unexpectedly. Met Eireann cannot win - yellow is too low for some, yet for me yellow wind warnings means take down trampoline netting as they can gust up have gusts up to 110 km/h and often do. The models got this rain wrong, not Met Eireann. The main issue with the warnings is in a county such as Galway - the wind warnings apply to say Ballinasloe as well as Conemarra. That’s where the adjustment is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Indeed, I was remarking how unimpressed they were with the weather warning on their socials, but yes the models changed and rain moved much faster it seems. it was a lovely dry evening in Meath after to enjoy a visit by Cannonball Ireland to our county. Now this morning is one manky, drizzly, humid morning since 730 am. Very wet drizzle indeed 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Really foul morning this morning in Cork. Looking forward to a bit of sun over the next few days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Miserable damp morning here and another few mm last night, should brighten up nicely later though. 85mm in the gauge so far this month, just passing the 80mm for the whole month of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well Met Eireann got it right for Dublin yesterday anyway.

It started raining from about 10am with torrential rain from about 12pm to 3pm.

We were only running from front door to car and rain was so heavy our jackets were totally soaked and when we came home from shops the tiles were still wet from rain that had gotten in front door!

That has never happened before.

It was drizzly then for rest of evening so it certainly never took up here.

Currently raining here and has been drizzly all morning.

Hopefully it starts clearing up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

There could be 16 mainly dry days in the East after today. Perhaps a few light showers but no wet days until perhaps month end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

It was manky in the south east too. We had booked to go camping this weekend but the thoughts of packing away the tent wet and having to take it out again put us off. - it’s a big tent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This upcoming dry spell is well needed at this stage, hopefully we will see more in the way of sunshine but it does look like this will be a cool and often cloudy high pressure spell. Nights are going to become much cooler by the weekend with the first ground frost of the season possible on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I can't get over how damp and humid it is, absolutely no drying out even when there's no rain. Even on Saturday there was very little drying in this area despite the sunshine and heat.

On a side note, another great forecast from Met Eireann for today. They had light rain/drizzle early in the morning with a dry afternoon and it's been raining heavily for the past 2 hours here in South Wicklow. Their rain forecasting has been very poor for this area in the past few weeks and it's massively impacting me because I'm trying to get outdoor work done and it's impossible to organize anything. I cancelled contractors last week and the days ended up better than expected, and today the contractor has left because he can't work in the rain. I'm not normally a critic of Met Eireann but the past week in particular has been incredibly frustrating.

I'm glad it's mild at night saves the heating being on

Is Gerry Murphy sick he doesn't look well

Little too warm though, the rain means not able to have to open the larger window to let air in.

Did notice the rain arrived later than forecast and when it was said to be heavy it was like mizzle. Rain didn't arrive till 8am. Lot of leaves came off he trees and still dropping today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

September is now the wettest month of this year at Dublin Airport and has gone above the 95mm mark, almost at 100mm now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hypothetically, if we managed a dry Oct to Dec or at least all months drier than this September, it'd be the first time September has been the wettest month of the year here since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Maybe he's sick to death of the weather, month after month of above average temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

an absolute awful day here in Meath, just wet damp drizzle pigmuck and it's relentless. Ground/grass has been wet since Saturday night.

Advertisement