Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child left out of birthday party.

Options
  • 11-09-2022 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

So we live on a cup de sac. My 9 year old son who has dyspraxia plays everyday outside with his pals who are 5,6 & 7. Today there was a party for the youngest who also happens to be a boy. The boy asked my son yesterday if he would come to his party while his mother was present. The mother told my son that she would text me about it but the text never came. My son has spent the day upset, questioning why he wasn’t invited when his other pals have. My son can be loud and hyper but is that a reason to leave a child out of a birthday party when he was told he was invited? I am livid, and won’t look at these parents in the same light as I used to. Please share your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

9 yr old going to 5 yr olds birthday seems slightly odd but that aside, dyspraxia doesn't make a kid loud and hyper, you sure the reason for the cold shoulder isn't something else? I'm specifically thinking maybe they don't like Ur son playing with their kid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Few clarification questions first.

Are your sure phone numbers are know? i.e. you have received messages before from her?

Where was the party on, at the house or another, possible pre-booked location?

You said the 5yo invited your son who is 9yo. TBH, that's a bit of an age difference for parties (even if they play together), maybe the 5yo was excited and inviting everyone he met, and it was not an official invitation, as such, even if the mom could have explained this at the time or later via txt. Or did it sound like the 5yo was asked to invite your son officially.

Maybe their was already a lot invited to the party and it was mainly 5yo's and family.

I think the courtesy clarification maybe was in order, but maybe missed for a host of good reasons, and not necessarily a bad host.

Sorry missed the bit where you say "his other pals where invited"

How old are these pals?

Where they invited the same way, by the 5yo?

How do they know the boy/family?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Anih27

He has been invited to the others party’s, ot isn’t exactly “odd”. Not every diagnosis of dyspraxia is the same though and my son happens to be loud and get quite excited very quickly. This boy has called for my son to play most days and my son has called to his house. I have known his mother and father for 20+ years. They haven’t had a problem with my son playing with theirs since this has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Or, turn it around - invite the 5 yr old over for tea, ask your son if he'd like to help you organise it as an event, get and give the child a small gift, play games etc.

I wouldn't take an invitation from a 5 year old the day before a party as an "official" invite.

Do you any other details? Was the party at their home, or was it booked at a play centre or something somewhere else?

• Advertisement

Hi OP, sorry but when you mentioned "hyper" that can sometimes be a nice way for some parents to describe other not so sociable qualities of their child. Imho knowing them 20 yrs and the mother saying she will txt u doesn't add up. Either they have a reason for not wanting him there or you really don't know them after 20 yrs.

Yes we all have each other’s phone numbers. Their son would be in our house playing and vice versa so we keep in contact very regularly to keep each other updated on where the children are.

The party was on in their house which is directly across the road from our house. My son watched other children going into the house for the party through our sitting room window with tears in his eyes.

The mother told my son that she would text me to ask if it was ok for my son to attend. Whether that was to please her son I don’t know but you do not say that I’m front of the child who she knew wouldn’t be asked to the party.

The party was made up of family members and kids from the house on our cul de sac. Just not our son.

My son while he might be 9 years old, doesn’t present as a 9 year old. He is quite sensitive, and much younger socially. This is why he gets on so well with younger children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

i remember a few years back my 5 year old invited every single person he met that week to his party.

Gaa coaches, bus driver, the checkout lady in dunnes and paul our postman all confirmed they would try to attend.

The mother did all she could at the time to not upset your kid, maybe she should have said its only family, or tell him call over after but she is thinking on her feet.

Birthday parties have to have a cut off somewhere and tbh inviting a 9yr old thats not family is outside the lines if you ask me.

your best bet is to get over it

Your best bet is to get other it

THIS. Not at all helpful and not in any way advice.

Others outside the family were asked. Please do not label my child when you don’t at all know him.

Jesus OP, right across the road? That is cold. I'm afraid assuming others were invited and not him you need to ask this mother wtf? I HV twins who both play with a lad everyday but only one of them was invited to party. Other was in tears , I asked the mother in question why, she said numbers limited so I told her she now had two extra places. Always remember that kids learn from their parents.

• Advertisement

Oh that’s heartbreaking, how could anyone decide on one and not invite both? So cruel, I would never ever do that to a child. And maybe that’s where people differ. What some parents don’t do, some parents do. But I would never leave a child out like that. Make them feel totally not good enough. My mind fathoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

When didn’t you just text the other parent this morning and ask what time your son should go over, and was there anything they needed? They probably had a million other things on with organising the party and it just slipped their mind. I think you’re over thinking this.

No, I’m not that sort of person. Of a child is to be invited to a party, the parent should be notified of the time and the place. I should t have to be the one to ask. That’s not an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Stall the digger here a small bit. You put the label on your child in the first post and while that may have been done to give some context I don't really think it had anything to do with what may have gone on here.

You've used some extreme words like livid to point out how you feel but I do think you are jumping the gun. Communication about these types of things is key. It is possibly and highly likely that the other mother forgot to get in touch with you in the first instance or perhaps didn't handle the initial situation as well as she could have.

Perhaps as adults you should approach her and advise her your son was a bit upset about what happened. From there then you'll be able to find out what happened and then perhaps start making some informed decisions around what to do next.

It would be a pitty to put your son's friendships at risk without first knowing the story from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Be right back

It seems to me to be just a simple oversight and perhaps she just simply forgot to text you...

You're right its not. An invitation should come from the parent, and with a lot more notice. Which is why I wouldn't have taken what a five year old said seriously.

It didn't come, for whatever reason, so what do you want to happen now?

They live across the road in a cul de sac and he was only one of friends missing? An oversight? Unless OP's neighbour is Helen Keller I think you can rule out over sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Be right back

In that she was probably busy and forgot to text...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I've come across quite a few party "issues" the past few years with my children, or heard stories from other parents.

I think the Mum would definitely have confirmed the party list well before the day before, so unfortunately your son wasn't invited. There could be lots of reasons for this. TBH the most likely reason is usually space, or numbers or money. This party was at home so it doesn't sound like it would've been too big of a deal to invite one more, but then I don't know that for sure. If it's at a party venue, then numbers are definitely a big issue. Not everyone can afford to invite lots of kids, and the kids don't always understand this. Or the other parents sometimes!

My kid has been invited to a party casually by a girl in the class, but I never got an official invite or text from the parent, so I took it as unofficial and we didn't go. I've had parties and had to keep numbers at 10 for either financial reasons or if I didn't have enough adults to help out on the day. There really are just so many scenarios, I don't think you should jump straight to the reason being because of his dyspraxia.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think the biggest clue here is the age gap. 4/5 years gap is huge at that age. The parent probably invited the kids from their child's class. Having older kids mixing with a bunch of 5/6 year olds is likely to cause problems (rough and tumble, 9 year olds can be enthusiastic and a 5 year old could get accidentally hurt from normal 'horseplay' by older kids)

Explain to your kid that the party was for younger children, that it's nothing personal.

And move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Why are you asking here? Wouldn't it be better to ask the parents of the other child?

You won't get any answers to your specific situation on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ahhh padre pio, with a name like that more sympathy wouldn’t go astray.

As I have explained above, if you have bothered to read through the thread, my 9 year isn’t socially mature. He gets on better with younger children than his peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

OP, if there were five-year-olds at the party there were probably a couple of kids who are even younger. There is a massive difference between kids who have just started school and kids in second or third class. I don't think anybody is saying that it's in any way inappropriate for kids who are neighbours to play together. However, an invitation to a little kid's party is not a given.

For all you know the child's mother thought she was doing your son a favour, relieving him of the tedium of hanging around with a hoard of babies for the day.

As above poster, the same comment relates to your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I have no sympathy for this situation.

I think you're more interested in garnering some sort of validation than actually solving your issue. A quick phone call would put this matter to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

You've referred 2 posters now to your beliefs about you sons social age, and this is perfectly fine for you to have this belief and knowledge about your own son.

Do you really think think that other parents, of 5 year old children, also believe that your 9 year old is a good fit, and no offence in any way intended, but I presume physically you son is as big as any 9 year old? Do other parents know the intricacies of your son's social abilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Yes, but the parents of the birthday boy might not see things that way.

• Advertisement

You have no sympathy because of your beliefs rather than thinking outside of your personal situation with your own child. Not all children are the same as when we were younger. Socially, mentally, emotionally, a little more empathy would help.

Advertisement