Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Cram everyone into cities as thing become sustainable then, living in cities creates GDP. That's the reason they want us living in cities not because of sustainability or green agendas.

Think about it what GDP am I creating by living in rural Ireland, apart from diesel I realistically could be self sufficient on the rest, and hence no spending no debt creation no GDP.

If I lived in Dublin city (I have aswell thankfully back home) I would literally have nothing to do bar spend money inorder to entertain myself and that's what they want GDP, and spend money on needless materialistic crap shipped from across the world but hey we're all sustainable and up to our eyeballs in debt and nothing to show for it bar a 2 bed apartment that you couldn't swing a cat in.

I'm sorry, there is alot of people who will never leave there home or rural town land, likewise there are lots of inner city folk who couldn't imagine themselves ever living in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So more builders can get themselves onto the SEAI approved list, and compete for the business with lower prices? @fliball123 spends all day telling us about how the private sector models are flawless and perfect and work every time, so I'm really surprised to see him telling us that capitalism doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are looking at it purely from a goods-only perspective.

Your lifestyle is not sustainable for the provision of public services such as broadband, electricity, water, sewerage, postal services, education, health etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

And a high GPD will give higher VAT, corporate tax and income taxe and last time I checked that was what pays for all the public services so I don't get your point.

The cost of providing those public services to a dispersed rural population is both more expensive and more damaging to the climate than providing them to urban settlements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

Hmm......I'd say there are a hell of a lot of assumptions that need to become a reality for a statement like that to be proven correct....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Actually in a lot of cases its more expensive to provide services to urban sites, as rurally you can just use cheap overhead lines.

Urban services are typically provided underground, which requires excavation (energy intensive + expensive). The density argument is a valid one, but the actual work involved is typically more expensive to do in built-up areas.

Per km you may be correct, but the number of people serviced per km is so much bigger that the savings from urban settlements are also much bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Thread Is about inflation not preaching and pontificating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

collapse of housing market already once crashed the economy, the trend of which is on the way for a while now.. not all factors are the same as then but there are new factors in the play this time.. seems it is just a matter of time when everything will crash majestically again.. taking everything that is happening on the global level who is going to help us rebuild it back .. i've no idea..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

When have I ever said it was flawless ? I point to the public sector clock watchers who get increments no matter how good bad or ugly they are if a builder phucks up a job the person who got that job done will hardly give them a glowing reference and will lesson the likelihood of getting more work. But you keep on there as I say nothing to see here with regards to a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...but the reality is, there is major failings occurring in both the public and private sectors, the root of the 08 crash was primarily based in private sector financial institutions, its clearly obvious we need whats called a 'mixed economy', whereby the state once again plays a critical role in providing our most critical of needs, property being one of the main needs, but in conjunction with the private sector, and not allowing major elements of the private sector to dictate and dominate these processes....

Did you not read the thread? Builders continuing to get paid, often under the counter, for much worse than clock watching- for doing dangerously substandard work- is this the model you reckon public servants should be aspiring to?

And you do have the choice of getting the work done or not to have it done and you have a choice of builder and that is the difference between the 2 sectors as the same cannot be said for our public services. We are stuck using and paying through the nose for these services and in a lot of cases they are not fit for purpose.

Again, did you not read the posts here? You can choose any builder you like and the outcome is the same- shoddy and overpriced work.

And this is your proposed model for public services?

Listen to what I am saying if a builder does shoddy work they are less likely to get more work done by that person or they can choose not to do the work done. Also I have had two lots of work done and in both cases the work was done really well and came in at the cost I had agreed. My model for the public sector would be not to pay them a 20%+ premium over the private sector , let them cover the full cost of their pensions and do away with increments for everyone no mater how good bad or ugly they are at their jobs.

Clearly you’re not listening to the many posts on this thread and indeed on other threads, such as https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058262808/how-do-bad-tradespeople-stay-in-business#latest

It’s almost as if your theoretical nonsense doesn’t actually work in the real world.

What are you sh1ting on about. I read the thread some people have bad experiences within certain sectors the private sector. Do we really want to go down the road and compare things like of Gards blowing into breathalyzers or x-ray scandals, lack of beds or any of the myriad of scandals from the HSE? How about politicians galway tents , Berties cash just resting in his account. At the very least in the private sector you normally only pay the majority of the fee after the job is done and if its not done right you don't pay if people are silly enough to stump up front then that's on them. With you robbing phucks the money is taken from your wage and paid even if you dont need or want the service. Then to further the cost when you boyos retire at a much earlier age then those in the private sector we are still paying via your pension. So dont compare as yeah the private sector has issues but you have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Greens are complete idoits. Trying to ban everything with no alternatives in place. During the tiger crash we were very much reliant on the agriculture and food sector as well a the tech sector to get us out of a hold. Now agriculture is the bad guy. Was talking to a dairy farmer recently who said they looked into solar panels on the milking palour to reduce cost. So much for eamonn ryan and renewables. Under the current scheme in place farmers to invest in renewables they are not allowed to sell excess power onto the grid. Yes i said they are NOT Allowed sell excess power to the grid Now think if even a 1/3 of roof space on farm buildings were used for solar power. So the likes of facebook can buy a windfarm in tipperary to offset their carbon footprint yet a farmer cannot do the same.

Also rural island some parts of the countryside could have better public transport. This obsession with turning every old rail line into a greenway. We should be ulitising what is there.Prime example in cork turing youghal line into a greenway when the corkdockland have seen significant office development and it would also be passing through Little Island. Also they are very slow in upgrading the Ballybrophy to Limerick line. These likes of these should be prioritise so getting timed services be provided. As its stands nenagh to limerick runs twice daily. Better services on these lines would provide greener transport options for those in rural ireland. Would also help government in terms of school places etc. Many rural schools crying out for enrollements while large ubans areas are struggling for places. At the same time we could ulitise the properties that are there while some derelict properties are only fit to be knocked, all you have to do is look at some of the lovely restoration and renovations of cottages around ireland. Much more sustainable than new builds in some suitations. I see 2 examples in the town i grew up in where 2 couples have bought properties that werent lived in for years nees work but their local planning authority putting them through hoops Also would help the student accomodation crisis 3rd level students face investment in upgrading public transport. Also then they would have a habit developed of using public transport in the long run

Post edited by lisasimpson on

On the public transport issue, better services on those lines would not provide greener transport options, as too many live outside the towns and villages. If development was concentrated in places like Nenagh and Ballybrophy and not in the surrounding countryside where Bungalow Blight rules, then the train service would be worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

Yes boo to the women who continue to care about their appearance after having children.. and have the cheek to live in D4 or similar.. and buy whatever car they want.. with the money that they earn in the job they go to after the school run.. Burn them at the stake before such notions sweep the nation. Don’t know what we will do when their RR hybrids go fully electric in 2024 and we can’t use the accuse of them killing the planet as the reason for the dislike.. 😂

While their husbands also buy whatever luxury car they want, emitting similar levels of CO2.. and instead of being scorned, are more likely be told ‘nice car’ by the same people who liked this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

This thread went way off track

Almost think it was intentional

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

Definitely my intention to call out the complete sexist nonsense, yes. How it descended from inflation to the typical gripes about SUV’s before my post is anyone’s guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

20.00 for a carvery in my local

this is not sustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

Coconut milk 10c more in Tesco than 6 months ago.

Pasta the same.

Not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

€6.75 in Dunnes for a Chicago Town oven pizza.

When have I ever said the private sector was flawless if I have please show me. What I have said is in the private sector you have choice usually there are no monopolies so you can shop around or choose not to use the service or buy the product. Now compare to the public sector we dont have that option. Stop talking shi1te please.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so our modern economic ideologies dont facilitate and encourage monopolisation of markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Steel in Europe up 13% from mill, by the time it reaches site that is expected to be 20%.

• Advertisement

Yet the public sector have a monopoly they provide p1ss poor services that you have to use you have zero choice in the matter

Advertisement