Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

With the loss of Izyum and Kupyansk railway junctions, the Red Army will have trouble supplying its forces in Donbas.

A complete collapse of their forces looks more likely than full control of Donbas.

Will Republics in Russia see this as an opportunity to throw off the yoke of Moscow and if they do will there be an force able to stop them.

The war is significant, obviously, for Ukraine but the longest term historical damage might be to Western Europe and fatally to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭briany

What's the story with Kherson, now, I wonder? Ukraine appears to be saying that the southern offensive was a feint to draw Russian forces from the north-east. If that's true, what will the forces in the south do now? Will they pack up and go north to try and hold the territory gained, or will they try to take advantage of the relatively limited gains made in the south. Ukrainian forces look like they're inching closer to Kherson, but it sounds like it's been a punishing slog and costly in terms of men and equipment, so it makes me wonder where they'll decide to go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The republics depend on scraps from the table from Moscow, without much employment or wealth opportunities they are still viable recruiting grounds. Not so the large population centers in Russia who have better opportunities, who are likely to more resistant to "the draft". Even the men with fake military documents (bribe to avoid mandatory conscription) are now getting caught. They can grind away for a while yet unless there is significant backlash against the administration in the coming months.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Plans will already to afoot to remove the botox dwarf fronted by the oligarchs. Hopefully he's not allowed do something crazy before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

They have a large Russian force pinned against the Dnieper and can grind them down at their leisure.

Attacking Russian troops even in Ukraine is attacking Russia. It is grammatically correct. Back to FSB English training for you as your English has been found wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

And, considering the usual rhetoric, Soloviev isn't taking rhe beating well and, looking for someone to blame, is taking punishment to a predictable level.

Post edited by Call me Al on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do these Moscow morons not read history books? Even just their own history books FFS. Attacking civillians never works. It only strengthens the resolve of the defenders and the man and woman on the street to support them. All it achieves is to create an enemy and combatant on every corner.

Look at the British under the Blitz. It brought them together in hatred of Germany and made them stronger.

Consider nazi Germany. They faced 1000 bomber raids thrumming overhead for mile after mile pummeling the ever living hell out the cities time and time again. Reducing the people below to twisted ash in the rubble of their homes. Tens of thousands in one night at times. And German war production and resistance went up.

And the Russians well know, or they would if they asked those few heroes left that they claim to idolise so much, that they still had to fight street by street, doorway by bloody doorway to finally take Berlin. Did the nazi's scorched earth policy against the Russian people work? Like fúck it did.

Even the Japanese wanted to fight on after the first atomic bomb obliterated Hiroshima and vapourised over 150,000 men women and children in one horrific second.

The Americans saw this in Vietnam too. Carpet bombing people from B52's at 30,000 feet and they still lost. They're not in Iraq, or Afghanistan anymore either.

This is a pathetic and petty response to their utter failure over the last few days that the world has seen all too clearly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Chinese whospers claims Zaporizhzhia is in Russia

Could this poster be a careful placed putinbot 😕

• Advertisement

Who are you talking to, everyone here knows the score with you.

You’re fooling nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A lot of people are absolutely livid over the attack on the Ukrainian power grid, seeing it as a mean and spiteful act by Putin and not even connected to Russia's war effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder will Putin end the special operation soon due to the losses and declare war on Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

How can anyone be sure if this ‘retreat’ by the Russians is as a result of the Ukrainians getting the upper hand or is it just the Russians giving the Ukrainians a false sense of victory and they will return with a major offensive including possible chemical/WMD’s…?

Will it matter at this stage to the outcome of the war if he does?

I suspect not.

He may still try but the best of Russian soldiers and equipment are used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I refer you to my reply to Hobgoblin a couple of pages back. Anyone that thinks it was anything other than a rout isn’t looking at the evidence on the ground.

I have no doubt that Russia will try to regroup, however it is Unknown if all those who ran would want to go back into the cauldron.

It's what i expected from the botox dwarf. He's a mean and spiteful person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

How can you be so certain of this ie best of their equipment now used up……the WMD’s are still there and I’m sure there is also plenty of anthrax, mustard gas etc etc…?

You are the one claiming Zaporizhia is Russian?

Suspicious that you'd fly that kite. We'll be keeping close tabs on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It may also be a sign of desperation. Bad news after bad news this week, so he stages this nasty stunt as some form of diversion.

• Advertisement

The massive amounts of ordinance left behind is a bit of a clue dontcha think?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I was watching a former NATO commander on CNN today warning that Russia can raise huge manpower and extra resources with a declaration of war.

Putin didn't declare war for internal political reasons but if he's staring defeat of his "special operation" he may have to do something because a defeat is the end for him.

They sent in the units of contract soldiers first.

Their nukes are useless, they might use one but even if the West responded with non nuclear they would rip Russia apart.

Russia may well kill Ukrainian civilians in massive numbers but it won't change the fact that they are still only a few hours drive from home 6 months in and losing ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lasting peace looks like a couple handfuls of nuclear warheads. This imbroglio was only made possible by the west's deception in guaranteeing Ukrainian sovereignty in exchange for them handing over their nuclear weapons.

The main lesson from this conflict, which won't be lost on many, is that the only protection from Russia, Putin, or the like, is to possess nuclear weapons.

Even when this ends, it's not over, given Xi is as dangerous a megalomaniacal pri​ck as Putin. Australia, South Korea and Taiwan, all need them.

Imagine back last January when Putin was massing his troops on the border, if Biden could have said: "it's a good thing you are only conducting exercises their, Vladamir, because we gave them 5 nuclear weapons two weeks ago."

There would have been no invasion and many, many thousands of lives saved and hundreds of thousands of children still with their rightful parents in Ukraine.

Post edited by cnocbui on

No. No I’ve not. Perhaps I’ve over estimated your intelligence, although the bar was set low.

Now, the FSB will be keeping an eye on me, eh? 😱😀

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Have you seen the sheer quantity of armour left behind during their disorganised retreat? Must be hundreds of millions of euro worth. Must be some masterplan.

Russia is a corrupt, inept sh ithole run by a fascist crook who believes he's a tactical genius. It doesn't lend itself to competence at any level. It's a country incapable of rising and improving because of Putin and their only answer is to try and drag others down to their level. And they're currently failing at that.

Seems Russia is continually re defining what constitutes success. From the denazification of Ukraine and overthrowing the democratically elected government to the liberation of Donbas. Quite the shift. Hopefully that'll be downgraded too.

The biggest movement of troops since WW2 will hopefully lead to the biggest defeat for fascism since WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Is it realistic? Russia like the United States is big enough that they might agree in principle to pay reparations and make a token effort as the United States did when it fled Vietnam. So reparations are unlikely, Crimea is a money pit, kinda like Northern Ireland is to the UK in one sense. I don't reckon Ukraine could do much with it after the war and most of the population (2 million) are ethnically Russian. Strategically the Russians must hold it to guarantee access to the Black sea, they also need agreement on the canal that supplies water from the Dnieper, which Ukraine had cut off in 2014. I suppose an agreement that the Russians pay for fresh water access with demilitarisation would work.

The Ukrainians are then left with the Donbass population, which is primarily Russian, this is an important economic centre for the country. There will need to be peacekeepers to protect the population from the reprisal of the more extreme elements of Ukrainian society who will want revenge and to enforce dominance. It would take time to deal with the bad blood between the two populations and there would always be an independence movement that wants to break away. That problem might be intractable as Russia will continue to exist and prepare for a second attack which might be years in the future. Most of eastern and Southern Ukraine down to the border with Romania are Russian speaking and even pre-February there was dislike for the language enforcement laws in these regions.

Given the paranoid nature and ambitions of successive Russian governments, I reckon they would eventually try again. A loss of Ukraine would also mean loss of Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko (68) is probably coming to the end of his reign as well and with no Russian strongman, there is a real chance that he would be overthrown in a coup since there is a dissident population present there. Without a strongman at the helm, would an unstable Russia be in anyones interests?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Be interesting to keep on eye on possible surrender talks taking place between Ukrainian forces and Russians who've had enough. It's all rumours at present, but still..

If the forces give up in Kherson, it would be a game changer and might cause Russians all over to refuse to fight.

Would just need to b1tch slap those Chechens.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Go to war with what Kermit? He's played his full hand and his bluff has been called. He's finished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement