Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks - Croke Pk Sept 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭glitterIsland

I'm not a stranger to walking. I didn't have any issues going to the stadium. Coming out and I was following the crowds and I had Google maps and directions open. It seems as if I was lead around in circles around the stadium. I'm not familiar with the streets. At one point I looked at the map and it said 12 minutes to my destination. I continued walking straight according to the map and directions and with the crowds. What felt like a good 5 or 10 minutes later, the map was still reading 12 minutes. The show finished about 10.15 last night and we were out quickly from the stadium. It was 11.15 by the time I saw something familiar in the city - The Quays. So what was supposed to be a 20 minute walk was far from it. Maybe it's 20 minutes if you know your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I was on the pitch in the pit last night and there was people smoking left, right and centre of me. And even lighting up during the gig right beside me while I was trying to enjoy the music and jump up and down and just enjoy myself. I presumed it would have been a no smoking grounds. Smoking is not a great idea when you're crammed in beside thousands of people. Very poor form smoking at a gig. Especially right at the front. If someone wanted a fag, they should have left to a quieter area.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭endainoz

Smoking is banned in most stadiums in Ireland, croke park included. Some people might have thought it was fine to smoke away on the pitch but the ban applies for there too. At the same time I didn't see any obvious no smoking signs on the field so maybe they could have done with them. I saw a bit of smoking myself on the Friday but not too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

snowgal what time did you join the queue outside the stadium to manage to get the pit passes? And what entrance did you use? I reckon as there is no support acts I might as well try to get in the pit. If we showed up at 5pm would that pretty much guarantee pit entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I was in the Hogan Stand Friday night. The security guards initially directed me to the wrong queue which I only discovered when I got to the barrier and was told to go back out again and queue further up Jones Road and that the security guards "don't work for us" (???!!!). Great seat in the end but shocking sound as has been said before. There weren't enough speakers in the stadium at all so the sound was funnelled through two towers at the top leaving it muddy and unclear.

Leaving the Hogan Stand the crowd management was seriously dangerous. Instead of previous gigs where you exit the stadium, turn right onto Jones Road and right onto Clonliffe Road, barriers with Gardai and security were erected exactly at the exit. Everyone was then directed and forced down the tiny side streets of Fitzroy Avenue then another turn onto Mabel Street and back onto Clonliffe Road. There was almost a very serious crush and some punters getting into verbal spats with Gardai about the situation. I don't know what the authorities were thinking by routing everyone that way. Sure fire way to piss off residents also as none of those houses have front gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I was stewarding at the gig and our call time to be there is 2.30pm and there were people already in the queue when I was going in - not in the grounds now but on the road outside

+1

Cinemas have announcements before every movie. I think there should have been signs and an announcement played regularly to remind people that it's a no smoking ground. Smoking is fine in a smoking yard but not in a packed stadium. Smoking while bopping up and down at a gig is not appropriate. It's a compo claim waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Always the risk when you have friends in low places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

Hey did you use these tickets yet? Any issues? Bought some via ticketswap for Fri 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Of course I had an idea where I was going. I've been to many GAA matches. And a few gigs. But that's not relevant. If I was going to a place where I am not familiar with, I would do a little research into how I would get from the gig arena to wherever my destination was going to be. Even an approximate plan in place.

I came out of the pitch area, followed the signs, followed where the rest of the crowd were walking and followed where the security people said to go. I saw the Spire on O'Connell st, and went in that general direction. Got the Luas on O'Connell St, and I was in Inchicore at 11.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Darn would of loving too hear 'Much Too Young (To feel this damn old)'

Ah well better to miss out on one song than a whole show

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Housefree

You have massive crowds and young people scanning QR codes as quickly as possible, ain't nobody got time to check or hold up queues, unless somebody else has used the QR code (I see loads of silly people advertising tickets with their QR codes visible, 2 mins in Photoshop and I'd be in)

He said last night that he will be giving up stadium tours. Does mean he will continue touring in the future but maybe doing arenas instead of stadiums. Ireland doesn't have an arena big enough for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cagefactor

The sound situation is very variable, typical Croke Park.

Upper Hogan 328 on Friday I heard nothing, couldn't make out what he was saying during talking moments, huge echo off the canopy.

Lower davin stand 319 on Saturday wasn't bad 7.5/10, could at least hear the drums.

Sunday night in lower Hogan 332 was A1, 9/10 but then friends in 330 said they heard muddle.

Croke Park is up there for worst venues for sound.

Some have told me me the seats in the corners, 336,335, 301,302, that although you are facing the stage at a really odd angle, the sound was great and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭snowgal

we strolled in about 6.15, not even knowing about the pit passes! there was no queue then but this was the first night. My friend went again last night and she didnt get in this time. they were there about 5.45. Id say if you were there for 5pm you'd deffo get in. we went through James ave, Cusack side, thats the only way you can go to pitch as far as i know. Id say alot of ppl were working and stuff on the friday so they were later getting there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭snowgal

just on the smoking thing, you can smoke in designated areas behind the stands but not on the pitch. although some were smoking around us on Friday too...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No reason why he can't do a few nights in the 3Arena and SSE Arena in Belfast. Some of the Arenas on his '14-17 Arena Tour' were of similar/smaller size. He even done Matinee shows at some venues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

• Advertisement

That's so funny. I wasn't referring to his weight but that's still funny.

I know.

Always good to wind the GB fan club up. Touchiest fan base to ever exist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

He could prob sell out a full month in the 3 Arena 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I saw him in LA in 2008, they only had the venue (indoor basketball) for 2 nights, sandwiched between NBA games, so when demand went through the roof, he played 5 shows over 2 days, 1pm, 5pm and 8pm the first night, 4pm and 8pm the second.

I prefer the 1-per-night approach but it would suit a lot of people. Earlier shows suit people travelling and avoids hotel prices, I'd probably bring my kids to an earlier show if there was one.

The 3 arena is a 10k arena. I can't believe Ireland doesn't have a 20 or 30k arena. If he played the 3 arena, getting a ticket would be a nightmare. The eticket helped a lot this time around and prevented physical queues which was mad the last time.

There should be regular announcements going over the speakers before starting and while waiting - something like:

Please me reminded that croke park is a no smoking grounds and there are designated smoking areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Considering how few bands can sell out the 3arena, a 25k stadium would be an absolute waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

And how do you enforce it when there isn't a steward 30m either side of you?

Exactly, you can't!

And what's going to happen? He's going to elbow his way through the crowd to tell you that you can't smoke?

Although, mate of mine got kicked out of U2 for smoking in the stand. Very funny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Zardoz

13500k capacity when using the standing floor layout.

A 30k venue , how many of them do you think there are in Europe that are primarily used for concerts ? None is the answer

There are very few arenas that hold 20k.

The 3Arena has had very few sellouts in the last few years and actually uses a reduced capacity layout for events there.

Advertisement