Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hard to believe only recently we had posters telling ukraine to forget about the lost territory it's now part of Russia and they are never going to give it back so surrender and negotiate because ukraine can't win against Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

What's happening with Putin is what happens to all dictators eventually. They surround themselves with yes men and women who become terrified of telling the truth about anything that puts the regime in a bad light. It's actually plausible that Putin believed he had a great army that could compete against the west much in the same way Saddam believed Iraq would be a graveyard for the west prior to the invasion there.

A move will have been prepared against him for some time the only question now is does it come within the next few days or weeks and where exactly it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Maybe Putin is another demonstration of the Peter Principle: one gets promoted to one level beyond that which. is warranted by one's competence

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Is it too late to get “Blyatskrieg” added to the new words of the year in the dictionary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not sure about protection from "us"?? Maybe the shows + military chest beating like that (in Russia, China) serve a dual purpose.

There's a nationalism or patriotism (as they would see it) part which is obvious. I mean you see similar things in some Western/democratic countries esp. the US comes to mind with the huge public respect shown to the military there (and the love of flypasts by fighters etc. as sports events!). edit Though perhaps I am a bit unfair - that kind of spectacle has a very different character & feel to parades of troops & weapons - hence negative reactions in the US when Trump (afair?) wanted to stage such an event.

But also an internal warning - don't step out of line you!, don't even dare think about challenging the might of the state/leader (as displayed in regular giant parades of soldiers, govt. security goons in shiny uniforms, and polished-up military materiel in the capital).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Russian army conducted 18 missile strikes, 39 air strikes at civilian and military objects across Ukraine. Damage in over 30 settlements, among them: Kramatorsk, Kostiantynivka, Dnipro, Pavlohrad, Velykomykhailivka. Russian army conducted missile strike at Kharkiv Power Plant, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

At Pivdenny Buh direction Russian army shelled Novovoznesenske, Bila Krynytsa, Osokorivka, Velyke Artakove, Sukhiy Stavok, Kostromka, Partyzanske, Bezimenne, Blahodativka, Ivanivka, Zarichne, Bilohirka and Myrne, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The next few days / weeks will be fascinating. It's still a bit early to say but we could be looking at a Ceausescu type scenario.

There may be a reckoning for the Russian public at some point too - they will surely find out about all the war crimes their regime has committed in a neighbouring country (Mariupol etc). It would be near impossible for the Russian army to be defeated and this not become common knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

Agree on the first part.

As for the second part: most Russians couldn't care less. See Chechnya, Georgia, Syria, plenty of well documented war crimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Quoting myself here but it looks possible they didn't just stop at the Oskil...

• Advertisement

Exactly. Russia could care less about how they are viewed by the west. The only disappointing thing for me these last few days is the Russian seem to have run back across the border in massive numbers without taking too much casualties. There seems to be from watching news reports plenty of abandoned tanks, and slower moving military equipment but not that many bodies. I suppose the only positive there is these soldiers will return to Russia with stories of what's actually happening on the ground and news will hopefully spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I wouldn't have thought so - why would they? Unless their supply lines are dangerously overstretched, they should maximise their advantage and press for Lychansk\Sievrodonetsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But this dents their narrative / delusion of Russia being a great nation and a force for good. They're not 'fine' with war crimes being committed by the regime in all the above places - they are in total denial that it ever happened.

No i'd disagree. I'd say a lot of them do know exactly what happened they just don't care. No different than say war crimes carried out by Americans in Iraq/Afghanistan the population didn't care or don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'm looking more at it now and apparently the river itself is not sufficient enough (read it's too shallow in a lot of places) to be considered a natural obstacle or a defensive line. You would assume the Russians know that too so where are they going to try and halt the advance? Line 5 on the original tweet I quoted maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

LazerPig sums up the ineptitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Well, not that I claim to have more than a surface level understanding but I would have thought the pre-February 'borders' between the 'peoples republics' are heavily fortified (on both sides) and would offer much more in the way of defence potential.

Of course one of the prerequisites of a successful defence is the willingness to fight and the Russians and their proxies seem to have run out of this commodity...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think you are going at this from entirely the wrong angle. Putin is motivated by what he wants, not what Russian propoganda might lead you to believe he thinks.

I doubt very much that Putin believed his own propaganda machine nonsense that the greatest danger likely to be faced by Russian troops in Odessa would be being crushed by hugs of joyous welcome.

Putin is motivated by wanting to reconstitute the borders and geographic control of the USSR. I'd say his parlaying of energy supplies to gain near absolute control of Germany and much of Europe via the incredibly successful Gazprom funding of the anti-nuke and green movements in Europe, gave him a taste for what control of resouces could deliver.

And if there's something far more powerful than control of energy, it's control of food. 'No country is more than 3 meals away from revolution' has no energy related equivalent. When we want to convey a sense of gravitas we might use the term 'gut feeling'.

China is spreading it's influence in Africa and many other less developed regions in order to steal their resources, through bribes to the ruling corrupt, the PM of the Solomon Islands being a classic example. They will own Sri Lanka shortly. A Chinese mining company in Ghana was even tunneling under the prospect owned by an Australian company and stealing their gold. And they have been boiling the frog in Australia for decades, buying up as much agricultural land and mines as the Australians were stupid enough to sell them.

China is doing all this with money, Putin, I think, wanted to counter and emulate it with control of food supplies, bought with artillery shells, a handful of entirely expendable, conscripts, and a lot of dead Ukrainians.

• Advertisement

Don't we have a used bicycle salesman as minister in charge of one of the most important portfolios imaginable in an energy crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

While in Pakistan, one day having a ( non-alcoholic ) drink on the sidewalk with some friends, a group of teenager students happened to pass by, all black haired and brown eyed except for one who had red hair and blue-eye's. We locked eyes as he approached and walked past, and ever after passing, he kept looking backwards, and I kept staring at him. Definitely some kind of communication across time was taking place. But then I remembered the British Army were in that part of the world especially when it was still a part of India, and where the British Army went, the Irish went too. With their red hair and blue eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

All part & parcel of a subtle or not so subtle, PR and disinformation progrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Blue eyes or red hair in pakistan originates from further north. You see similar on occasion in Afghanistan and the other stans, and in to central Russia. Nothing to do with the Irish. Pashtuns in Afghanistan often had red hair and green eyes, and similar can be found in pockets of north-central russia. A common ancestor, but not from the irish. There is plenty of historical record of red haired peoples living in that part of the world in the distant past.

If they were Irish they'd have big thick heads on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Ukraine has ~1,200 KM border with Russia and another ~1,000 KM with Belarus. There is no choke point, those borders are impossible to seal and Russia will always be there, testing, looking for weakness, in addition Ukraine that is part of NATO (it de facto is given the tactics, training and weapons) presents a continued security threat to Russia. That makes Moscow paranoid and given the failure of their current tactics, it also makes them desperate and more willing to consider tactical nuclear strikes as a means to compensate for these failures.

Politically, Putins successor needs to be considered, there is no love for a Gorbachev type president in Russia, Yeltsin got caught between a rock and a hard place, i.e. between the Communists and the Oligarchs, Putin aka the Siloviki, was the middle way out at the time. Within the next 2 years Putin is gone, so today's situation can atrophy as he runs down the clock and Russia initiates a mass mobilisation which just draws the war out for his successor to deal with. Western Europe does not have the resources to hold that long, and will be facing internal political crisis of its own. In addition the United States will have changed, with an ongoing civil conflict of its own that will get much worse.

It does not matter how totalitarian the regime in Moscow is, Ukraine is going to have to do a deal with them, and then keep watching their backs. This situation can get much worse, for example the war expands on new fronts like the Middle East. World War II started in the 1930s with Japan, the Spanish civil war (a left vs right conflict), the sovereign debt crisis of the 1930s, the trade wars, and then German expansion, the final phase from 1939 took 6 years to play out. Going on that historic timescale it will probably be the early 1930s before we have an era of relative peace again, new Bretton woods type agreement and treaties etc.

Therefore, the parameters of a deal have to be explored because the politicians on all sides must lay the groundwork within their administrations which takes time. Today, the attitude is "we must win, no compromise", this is stalemate and will keep drawing more men into the meat grinder. Ukraine (aka NATO) has now drawn a line in the Chernozem of Ukraine and the Russian administration knows that it cannot proceed today with its original grand design, it will play for time.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't think so. As the first major counter-offensive, at least with the 'new-trained, new-equipped forces', I can see good argument for Kiev going heavier than it might ordinarily need to on the main effort, and not try to over-reach by splitting its strength. There would be many political/propoganda eyes on it, better to have one avenue of attack achieve notable success than two potentially achieve little.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Does anyone remember the story from a previous thread on ukraine,

An ortodox priest was doing some live stream or similar taking questions and giving opinions ,one young lad about 15 came on and had a chat but at some point the young lad said he didn't believe in god, considering his age not uncommon,

The following night a news broadcast showed a heavy handed police raid on his family's home,he was arrested and detained under some mental health grounds ,and carted off to a mental asylum for re-education.

This is the me mentality your dealing with as others on here who have real world experience in Russia have touched on

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

If you are far enough north in Pakistan, Afghanistan or Iran red hair is not uncommon (less common is the red hair and blue eyes but not very rare). You should have asked the locals as it was them who informed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Careful there now Comrade...are you insinuating that the State is wrong in its news presentation?????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement