Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

I couldnt agree more - this is a fiction set in middle earth - The deranged excuses being thrown about are also becoming tired. As is the STILL UNDERWAY Smear campaign against criticism.

If im not mistaken, the only reference to Hobbits in the Second Age - is that they exist. Where as obviously we can point to Galadriel as having been warped out of recognition. She at least plays a part in the proper lore. Everything in the Hobbit plot is made up .. excuse me... 'original content'

The timeline is totally warped. Its set in the second age, for sure. But they have taken events, and people, from throughout this 3 thousand year period, and have jammed them together... It would be like watching a historical based show, involving Caesar, Napolean, Henry VIII, and a young Hitler. Depending on which RINGS OF POWER plot thread you look at, the rings should already exist, as should the one ring. And a war should be underway

I agree.

My own opinion. There are only a few components keeping this show together, and alive

• The Spin (criticism is all racist and misogynistic)
    • The frankly embarrassing reviews talking about how utterly amazing it is (see below for the most cringe inducing review)
    • The budget (Amazon may in fact accept a loss, rather than publicly accept failure)
    • Those that continue to watch - i understand that we wont have legitimate viewing figures for a while (we may not get any in fact) - the figures are being enhanced by having LOTR-TROP 'auto play', when one finishes anything on Amazon Prime - thats apparently where the figure of 25 million came from

Title of the above article : The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power review – so astounding it makes House of the Dragon look amateur

It cannot hold a torch to HOTD - The fact that any professional author could pen the above, and stand by its publication is astounding.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Attempting to swim distances even though she was saved from "CERTAIN DEATH" - another great line and even better decison making from the main character. Lucky that second ship came along to save her after the first one got eaten.

I think there was a big missed opportunity to show how the elves in the Southlands got captured, could have been some battle or skirmish, but instead they just appear beside our main guy who "Had" to go down the tunnel for no apparent reason - leaving his lover fend for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

Also she gets to Numenor and demands a ship. So she wasn't planning to swim all the way when she jumped off that ship two episodes back? She's capable of swimming all the way if she has to but it would be better to have a ship?

The whole Galadriel story arc stemming from the fact that she jumped off a boat 100s of miles from land planning to swim the entire way back to Middle-Earth is kind of hilarious. Why didn't they just do a rewrite? It's the equivalent of deciding to walk home from work then the first petrol station you pass you decide to steal a car because there's no way you can get home on foot. Ah, but the CGI looks fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Frankly, this series seems to be made for people like you, and I don't mean that as a slight. It's the Tolkien fans that seem to be the ones most up in arms about what this series is and where it appears to be going. The "casuals" appear to be enjoying it more.

It's relatively clear that this series is meant to be aimed at people who liked Peter Jackson's movies as opposed to the people who buried their heads in Tolkien's work.

I like the movies but I’ve no time for this at all. I ditched E3 half way through and will have to see if I go back. It’s got nothing of the grit and atmosphere of the movies, or the books for the matter, and some of the acting and is laughable. It’s just so light….nothing to hold your attention. I’ll probably persevere, but not without pauses to go off and watch something else.

Ive not got sky. Is House of Dragons similar?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s like they’ve taken characters we know and put them in a completely different world. There’s a brilliant story to be told and they’ve gone for this. It’s bizarre.

The literally could have made 2 seasons out of Sauron tricking Celebrimbor up until he convinces ar Pharzon to sail west.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

Obviously it's not for anyone to tell others what they should and should not like.

I do think it's strange that this thing is marketed as "Lord of the Rings" but really doesn't attempt at all to do anything with Tolkien's lore. So it's really Tolkien for people who don't know enough about Tolkien to know that it's not really Tolkien.

Just makes me ask why they even bought the rights if they aren't going to do anything decent with it.

I guess it would kind of be like if myself and a friend went to a Radiohead concert and I am a big fan of the band but they don't really know much about Radiohead. The show is about to start and Chris Martin from Coldplay comes out on stage with Matt Bellamy from Muse and they do covers of Radiohead songs for two hours. I am standing there thinking "what the hell is this" but my friend is smiling saying "actually I am really enjoying it". They did play their own versions of Radiohead songs but it's not really a Radiohead concert from my perspective but my friend who just assumed that they were Radiohead is none the wiser.

That's kind of how I feel about this now. It's Amazon using the lure of LOTR and Tolkien's name to get people to pay for subscriptions but anyone with even a passing knowledge of the lore can see that it's just not Tolkien at all. I get that movies and shows always need to take some liberties when making adaptations. This is beyond ridiculous though.

I think I'm out. If they manage to go all the way to season 5 and it ends up with a stellar reputation then I might pick it up again someday. Personally I would love to see this just be a thing that years from now people will say "we don't mention Amazon's disastrous attempt to create an LOTR show". It's horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No slight taken at all, those who are heavily invested in the source material are almost always going to find most at fault in the filming of any novel as they've already cast and directed it in their minds eye. I was similarly invested in ASOIAF and while delighted with the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones, my love for the adaptation quickly turned to derision as the showrunners deviated further and further from the source material.

I just thought a "casuals" view of the show might be a worthwhile contribution to the thread as I'd know many, many more people who enjoyed Jackson's LOTR trilogy than I would people who've read The Silmarillion or enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I have never watched any of the lord of the rings movies or read any of the books but i have watched this and i find it quite enjoyable except for the Harfoots whom I find childish in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wonder would the original movies had they been released today have done as well? If you were a kid/teenager in ~60's-80s the books were popular, D&D etc. so the movies had a ready base/nostalgia base and the effects for the time were spectacle level. In broad brush LOTR is less important for under 40's? so even a competent show would be liked but viewership would still skew to a show with dragons and bewbs?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This article gives a very good explanation of the timeline issue

Sauron returned from wherever he was hiding around SA 1,000 (1,000 years into the Second Age) and began setting up shop in Mordor, gathering his armies of orcs and trolls and other baddies to him.

Elendil was born in SA 3119, over two-thousand years later, long after Sauron had returned to Middle-earth and long after the forging of the Rings by Celebrimbor, who was tricked by Sauron, disguised as Annatar, and blinded by his own ambition.

But he concedes

So the show is taking the forging of the Rings, the return of Sauron, the fall of Eregion and presumably the eventual capture of Sauron and the fall of Númenor all into one show and one timeline that will span a very short amount of time. This is quite a radical compression of the Second Age, though if done properly I can see how it would work over several seasons.

He also has some fun with the scene where Galadriel and Elendil discover that Sauron’s mark is actually a map of the Southlands.

Did the Black Speech note really say that the plan was to create a realm where evil could not merely endure, but thrive? Is that how Sauron and his orcs and lieutenants speak to one another while twirling their villain mustaches?

“Not just endure you fool! It will be a realm where evil will thrive! Bwahahahaha!

“Oh I love it, Sauron! So diabolical! So despicable!”

Post edited by Loafing Oaf on

Everyone's view on something as unimportant as a television show is worthwhile and it'll eventually come down to whether someone enjoys it or not and there'll be many reasons for doing either.

As far as 'Game of Thrones' is concerned, I never read any of the books and the first I heard of the story was when HBO announced the TV series, which I enjoyed throughout its entire run, even if S08 was a wee bit "rushed" in its execution. I kinda dismissed the series as Tolkien with tits at the beginning, but was very much enjoying it once I'd settled in. Couldn't care less about its deviation from a source material that I never experienced and that, no doubt, helped me to like the series over all more than people who had invested their time in JRR Martin's novels.

As for 'Rings of Power', I'm getting very little out of it so far. But not because I'm some Tolkien fanatic or anything. I haven't read 'Lord of the Rings' since the 80's and have read 'The Hobbit' only twice since then too. The last time being about 5 years ago and, frankly, it was a bit of a struggle because it was so damned childish. It was written specifically for kids after all. Jackson's LotR movies were enjoyable enough, but I still never felt like they captured Tolkien's world that well at the end of the day. So I have no real investiture in this series at all from either a literary or cinematic POV. However, it still isn't resonating with me in any real way for reasons that are outside such states of mind, as it were. It just, so far, hasn't been terribly good.

Looks like metactitic is hiding the reviews below 6 now . On mobile anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭ollkiller

It would have to be the worst thing ever for me not to watch this as it is so visually stunning. The level of detail is fantastic and the colours. Story is only ok but episode 3 set a few things in motion that could elevate the show. Level of vitriol levelled at is both predictable and ridiculous. Will happily watch it and hopefully the story improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

See I would consider myself among the 'casuals', I read/like/respect LotR book and Jackson trilogy and I know some bits and bobs of First/Second ages by reading some wikia back then thats it - I am open for anything I mean if it is a brilliant well-made Karen revenge drama I would watch it lol.

Post edited by seraphimvc on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

What annoys me most is actually...so ya Tolkien invented the stereotypical fantasy elf...

Like, seriously, this show has all the ugliest elves I have seen in any show/film 😂

Jackson got the look of the elves right. The execs at Amazon have buggered that up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Ya they look like the various ages of Liberace or Gary Glitter with those stupid hairdos

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

they are basically humans with clip on ears. Galadriel is supposed to be 6'2 or 6'4 and the men are taller.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So the orcs are building a deathstar..

And Gandalf can't do much, even though he arrives looking like a million year old space wizard??

Haha..

Post edited by Brief_Lives on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Agree with the general consensus that it looks stunning but that's about it.

Bad acting in parts, cringy dialogue and flat unlikeable characters. Really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The show runners must have an issue with elves having long blonde hair and blue eyes. I can't think of any other reason why they all look like Vulcans 🤨

its more the quality of the acting for me. In LOTR, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett and Lee Pace portrayed their characters as being not human….like a superior and transcendent race. In the way the spoke and carried themselves. Here they are just humans with pointy ears.

I know that the shows creators wanted unknowns in all the roles, but it’s just not good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I think they had no choice when it came to casting unknown actors because its a long ten year commitment. Will Poulter who was originally cast as elrond dropped out for this reason. Now he's in an upcoming Marvel movie.

The elves are so human-like they don't feel any different to the people of numenor. Imo the halbrand actor would be a good elf.

He probably would, yes. The elves were disliked, at least in part, for their arrogance and superiority. Galadriel doesn’t pull off that nuance, and just ends up being argumentative

But if you look at the early episodes of GoT it’s much the same I guess. The actors really mature through the seasons and add nuance and depth to their characters. It’s a little jarring to go back and watch them in S1E1.

Looking at pictures of Will Poulter it seems like he would have looked more like Hugo weaving's version of Elrond, it appears they just gave up and went for the first big name for the recasting.

The latest thing bugging me is episode 2, when the elves arrived at Moria, they casually stroll over to the door(which is supposed to be invisible?) with no horses, no gear, no bags, no swords, no bows, nothing. Its again a stark lack of attention to detail in my opinion. The distance is half the world right? Like twice the distance the hobbits covered in the fellowship?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

@thomas 123 when the elves arrived at Moria, they casually stroll over to the door(which is supposed to be invisible?) with no horses, no gear, no bags, no swords, no bows, nothing.

Not the same door used in LOTR (yet to be build), just because we don't see horses, doesn't mean they weren't used.

We don't see characters eating much or using the facilities, we just assume they do.

• Advertisement

Okay, door aside the other issues still stand. There is no sense of it being any sort of hassle for them to make that journey, furthermore there is no sense that it would be a challenge for the other lad to get back, its all very casual imo.

Advertisement