Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

100 percent agree. We got rib eye steaks last week and they were miserably thin. They ended up being cooked beyond well done despite our best efforts.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I used to always get the steaks in boxes from Aldi, they were excellent, but they're no use any more. Stopped buying them entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The premium steaks in Tesco are really excellent at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Quality gone way down on steaks in Aldi, Lidl I find much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

And sadly this also.

I originally became a loyal Aldi customer due to the quality of their steaks but right now they are firmly in 3rd place behind Tesco and Lidl :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

1.5lt Bottles of Lilt , only place that does them now !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Probably already discussed, but Aldi Fishburgers are on my recent shopping list. I have so far only tried the Buttermilk coated burgers.

My recipie: aldi fish burger + aldi potatoe waffle in an aldi buger bun, with a topping of your choice. I like iceburg lettuce and mayo, or tarter sauce. Other half likes to add cheese singles. I freeze the burger buns, so I always have them in for a quick mid week meal.

• Advertisement

@Juran are those fish burgers crispy on the outside? How do you cook yours, in the airfryer? I am tempted to try them...

An oldie but a favourite of mine is the Aldi Specially Selected Butter Chicken Sauce. And now they're doing convenient 800g packs of diced chicken breasts (€6.29) , so I'm going to do the whole lot with two jars of this sauce and freeze a couple of extra portions. Serve with pilau rice - its delicious.

Made my first beef stew of the winter today - I really like Aldi's diced brisket pieces for this, along with their black angus lean mince.

And thankfully, the maris piper potatoes are back in stock - albeit it 20c dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

The lemon & coriander lamb skewers are pretty good. I have them with a bit of pitta and chips and salad, kebab shop style.

Also just to add to @[Deleted User] post above, the Aldi curry sauces are great and the best quality jar of curry I've had.

We get the specially selected Rogan Josh and Jal Frezi. Really nice, not 100% like the restaurant but close enough to keep the takeaway cravings at bay. I recommend adding some water to the sauce as it gets quite thick. I rinse out the jar and throw it into the pot. Then cook the chicken breast pieces in the sauce to keep them moist, don't fry em up first.

I also recommend getting Aldi poppadoms to complete the dinner. Then a jar of Aldi Bramwells mint sauce and plain yoghurt. Mix some mint sauce with the yoghurt and you have a poppadom dipping sauce just like the restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Yes, very crispy. I cook them.in a fan oven for 20-25 mins.

There are 2 other types - southern fried coating and tempura batter. I must get around to trying them. So far, I've always picked up the buttermilk coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I found the Tempura disappointing - Buttermilk are the best imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

The siracha coleslaw is delish. Anybody try that? Great in a sanguige or with a plate of chips.

Also those skin on fries ... feckin price gouging! The bloody beef dripping chips are cheaper! Doesn't make any sense. How much can it cost the factory to leave the skin on. It involves literally nothing. Just standing around the factory doing nothing. They just have to blink and then say "Ok the skin leaving-on process is complete".

Post edited by JackieChang on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Yep, it's nice when in stock but haven't seen it in my local for a while. The jalapeno coleslaw was nice as well but vanished.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I bought the Siracha Coleslaw a while ago. It's ok, but personally it's not hot enough for me. I wouldn't call it a hot mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Had the Aldi flatbread chicken and mango pizza, it was gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shortcircuit_99

Completely agree. The steaks in the black boxes were great, nice and thick and delicious. The ones in the black with the gold trim were even better. Now they are all very poor. The texture on them is so chewy now, obviously they are not aging the meat for as long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

I notice the 2 litre Milk in plastic bottle is gone to be replaced by 1.5 litre carton.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

beans and liver

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Tesco near me this a while ago and after a few weeks it switched back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wouldnt surprise me if the grade of beef they are buying has gone down so that they can keep the prices low. I heard a slot on the radio a few weeks back where a restaurant chef was saying he took rib eyes and fillet steaks off his menu as it had just gotten too expensive to buy in and customers were complaining and not ordering it as much. Have noticed in Aldi that rib eyes are never on special any more, the only specials on steak they seem to have these days are thin sirloins and those beef medallions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just noticed that Aldi will be selling 1kg carrots on their Super Six next week- 79 cents. Lidl currently have 1kg carrots on their specials for 49c. The two of them used to be lockstep on most prices but its no longer the case with Lidl often cheaper now on a number of products Id buy regularly enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Interesting; maybe it depends on the age of the carrots?

As an aside, I recently saw that Tesco's organic carrots were cheaper than their non-organic. Same sized bags too.

I'm wary of buying big bags of carrots from supermarkets though, they tend to go bad so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Is the whole grain sliced loaf gone everywhere? Was the favourite in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Wholegrain loaf still in Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The Grainne's raspberry and apple Danish pastries are gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Speaking of Gráinne's bakes, anyone seen the apple madeira cakes lately? Can't find them anywhere, and the more I can't find them the more I want one!

(The lemon drizzle cake makes a very acceptable substitute)

Advertisement