Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don’t know if there’s any basis for the rumours of surrender, but the claims would certainly sow doubt in the minds of Orcs. You’d hate to leave it too late to surrender if the guys around you were thinking of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I wonder if the siloviki could manage to depose him and keep control of power. I presume they could but it would be very interesting to see who they would replace him with. Medvedev has been auditioning for the part - I think he realised that the perception of him was that he was too enamoured with the West so he's been trying to outdo the crazies with anti-Western rants online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They might not have a choice. Ukrainians captured a fair few TOR systems. If they dont surrender.....

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't see much evidence of this on Telegram. Quite a bit of talk about hanging the general involved in the Kharkiv debacle, but remarkably little criticism of Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Now is the most dangerous time since the invasion begun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The usual bollocks from their rabble rousers. Note how they go on about the New World Order too. I'm surprised they didn't chuck in the WEF and the Soros/Rothschilds/Jews on top. Russian propaganda and the more simple minded Russians on the ground are big into this kinda conspiracy stuff. As I've noticed so are many of their western supporters.

This "we're fighting NATO on the ground" is their latest coping mechanism. "If we were just fighting Ukrainian nazis this would be all be over and the mighty forces of Mother Russia would have already prevailed". The joke is if they believe that a couple of thousand actual NATO combatants are on the ground in Ukraine and this not the many many thousands of Ukrainians is what's fúcking them up, that makes them look even more lacklustre.

Now clearly NATO forces are helping them with intel, or I'd be gobsmacked if they weren't and they've gotten dribs and drabs of weapons and out of country training(which has yet to really be in play AFAIK) but it's down to Ukrainians and the foreign types going under their own steam. Tha said I would not be too shocked to find out later that there aren't small and deniable groups of US/UK/etc special forces in country. Older "officially retired" Seals, SAS and so on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

There's only one way for Russian morale now, and it's not uphill...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hometruths_real

Like Russia with Wagner group... plausible deniability...

play them at their own game and they want to go home with the ball... pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

The chatter is becoming louder.

I'm just sniffing the air - I think Putin's goose is cooked.

A furtive glance from one comrade to another, answered by a nod, and that's it.

It will probably be his own security that get tasked to deal with him.

• Advertisement

I see very little evidence of anti-war feeling in the military channels. If anything, they think that Putin is not taking aggressive enough measures. They want full mobilization, they want tactical nukes, they want increased filtration of Ukrainians in occupied territories, they want Ukrainian infrastructure destroyed. These people are completely brainwashed by the propaganda, it's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Not so sure toppling Putin will get the desired effect .... be careful what you wish for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

meaning that they'll likely have better tactical and technical training when they hit the field.

That'll be the biggie. Russia is still running the old Soviet style military, where orders are top down and the men at the pointy end just follow them for the most part. Individual action when opportunities arise is frowned upon, or not promoted. Unlike in Western militaries.

I was watching a vid recently about an airliner crash in the Black sea and one thing jumped out at me: in Western airline culture and law the captain of the flight is most in charge, the guy who makes the ultimate call for the most part, in Russian/Soviet airline culture, the ground controller has far more say and can order the captain in a different direction. That's a very different mindset. Remember the time when the Soviets shot down the Korean 007 747. Well the Soviet fighter pilot who shot them down was almost entirely controlled from the ground. In interviews he was asked did he not see it was an airliner. He replied he had doubts, bu when asked did he relay those doubts to the ground his answer was along the lines of no, they didn't need to know. He was following orders in essence. A meat robot in the cockpit being controlled remotely.

I suppose part of that culture was they didn't want independent thinkers in charge in the military. All autocrats fear the miliary, because they're the guys who can take them out. All revolutions require the backing, or at least the neutrality of the military or they'll fail. When Stalin got in his biggest purges were among the officer class. To the degree that when Hitler invaded he had few good men left. One, Zhukov made a huge difference and won many battles for them. A hero of the Soviet Union. And popular. So when it was all over and medals were handed out what does Stalin do? Well he could't kill him as he was way too popular, but he was also way too dangerous to keep around, so he invents some trumped up charges and sidelines him to the provinces behind a desk. And we wonder why the Russians have lacklustre generals today? They're either loyal mates of Vlad or too useless to worry about.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So Ukraine won't hit Russian territory.

Obviously the Ukrainans don't listen to people on here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Not sure about the depth, but it's very wide. When Russian troops arrived in Germany and Poland in 1945, they were very unimpressed with the rivers which they thought were more like streams when compared with their own.

At one of its narrower points, the Dniepr is 560m wide, but in places that widens to over 6km.

For comparison, the Liffey at the East Link bridge is 142m, the Shannon at Athlone 128m, the Thames at Westminster Bridge 250m, The Lower Rhine at Arnhem 132m, the Vistula 665m, the Volga at Volgograd 900m, the Oder at Kustrin 240m and bringing up the rear, the Spree at Berlin is a measly 56m wide. Sure you'd jump it.

(Caveat: these are rough Google Maps measurements.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

Yes, support from NATO countries is basically the reason Ukraine has been so successful. And a good thing too

Azerbaijan are shelling Armenian positions in Nagorno Karabakh.

Interesting timing.

They just don't get that there's a diiference between a poorly-trained, poorly-fed, poorly-equipped, poorly-led and poorly-motivated army i.e. them, and a highly-motivated, well-led and well-equipped army like the Ukrainians now have. The Russians obviously learned absolutely nothing from the Winter War in 1939-40.

Or they know damned well and just can't bring themselves to admit it, which is good news for Ukraine since the first step in finding a solution is accepting that you have a problem.

Stalin was so short of Generals equipped with a bit of a clue that Rokossovsky was given a command on his release from prison. Luckily for him he had never signed the confession his NKVD captors had so thoughtfully written for him.

(Rokossovsky's release followed a "relaxation" after the death of Yezhov, who was replaced by Beria. Meet the new boss...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Correct! And that enormous natural obstacle lies between the Russians in Kherson and safety.

They'll surrender, and probably sooner rather than later.

Dont think they have much choice at this stage,if they want to avoid more airstrikes in Kharkiv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Putin wanted an excuse that he could use to justify his invasion of Ukraine. Any excuse, if NATO was not there, or even the non-existent fictitious Nazi's.... it would have been something else.

Leprechauns. Definitely leprechauns. Evil little sh1tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Kazakhstan is slowly and rather publically being pulled into China's orbit.

Russia doesn't like it, but it's not a fight they want to pick.

The Khazak President even went so far as to appear in St Petersburg at ostensibly a Putin lackey economic forum and took a shot at the Donbas puppet republics saying they would never be recognised. He also called out Putinists who have designs on Northern Khazakstan which is Russian ethnic majority.

Russia and China are not friends. Plenty of big-talk, but they fundamentally don't trust each other. They're like two theives in an Arab souk. They run the same swindle, but they'd have their hands in each others pockets as soon as the back is turned.

And a major difference between the Russian and Ukrainian military training is that for the Ukrainian's, there will not be any deaths from Dedovshchina, or "Hazing", which is endemic in the Russian military training, and leads to many recruits dying each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

When Putin goes down, it will be in disgrace, the knives will be out in full force. There will be a mad scramble of people rapidly trying to disassociate themselves from him. So for this reason, I don't think that Medvedev would be a candidate. He will be too much associated with Putin. Better someone who cannot be linked to Putin, but who would even have been known to be anti-Putin ( as much as possible. I guess in this case, we will be surprised at the vast nr of government people who were really anti Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement

Thats because he is still seen as being untouchable, largely through fear, but once that ring is broken, it will be a landslide.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement