Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Separate but joined. Whoever holds one holds the other. There is no British crown.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

COuld they be 'unjoined' in the case of Scottish independence. That is, could Scotland go its own way and have their own, different monarch?

Appreciate it is all hypothetical, but for those few independent minded royalists?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't see why not but there's no need. If Scotland is to keep the monarchy then the current set up is fine. Whoever wins an election in an independent Scotland travels to see the monarch to ask to form a government in their name.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You could be for example Freddie II of England and Freddie IV of Scotland so they recognize a separate history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The discussion is no longer academic. Interesting to see how this affects the Independence debate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

From the Guardian

The Queen’s death is a precarious moment for some of Britain’s wider Commonwealth realm, 14 countries of which recognise the monarch as their head of state. In many cases their constitutions state that the Queen, specifically, is the head of state. In these countries, constitutions will need to be amended to refer to her successor. In countries such as Jamaica, where there is a strong republican movement, and Belize, these constitutional changes will also require a referendum, according to Commonwealth experts. This is expected to bring about a moment of political peril for the new monarch, who, after Barbados became a republic in 2021, could face the loss of another prominent part of the Caribbean Commonwealth.

Questions are also likely to arise in countries such as Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, Grenada, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines over whether the new monarch could lawfully appoint a governor general, if the relevant country’s constitution has not been changed to refer to the King, and continues to refer to the Queen as head of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Plenty of analysis out there Jim, from India to Australia they have been thinking about these things, for quite some time. Go forth and research and you might form an opinion youself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They have already had that

James VI of Scotland became James I of England, and the just James I. So England is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He can still be called James VI in Scotland though.

They also hold different titles as Charles was not prince of Wales in Scotland but referred to as duke of Rothesay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

A lot of people had more of an affinity with the queen and not necessarily the institution of the Monarchy.

I think Charles in charge will not help the stability of the remaining remnants of the empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Booing in Edinburgh.

I'm curious to see what the next few independence polls are going to be like, and if the events of the last week will have any effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think that Sturgeon will be careful to keep the question of Monarchy as far removed from Independence.

In fact the question of independence should be kept away from details like Sterling, Faslane, armed services and defence, pensions, funding, etc. Copy the Brexit Leave campaign and be all things to all voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say once all the funeral stuff has settled down what we will see next is Charles trying to lovebomb Scotland, he will do lots of engagements up there visiting schools and hospitals to get on local tv. Would expect him to stay in Balmoral quite a bit as well in an effort to replicate the Queens 'love of Scotland' and curry favour with the natives.

Will be interesting to see how the media treat him up there. Already I recall that Balmoral (which is 50,000 acres so not a small place and they own even more than that in Scotland) is under different environmental laws to the rest of Scotland. This is becasue of an archaic law known as the Queens consent dating back to the 1700's. It allows the monarch of the day to be exempt from the same laws that their subjects have to live under. Its why we will never see the Queens final will and testament as a public document- she exempted herself from that law as well becasue the Royal Family dont want the public knowing their true wealth.

When recent climate change legislation was introduced in Scotland the Queen and her lawyers got her exempt from the new laws by trumping it with the Queens consent law. One of the climate change laws that came in was aimed at helping to reduce carbon emissions nationally. The law mandates the laying of underground pipework on anyones land to in order to facilitate energy from renewable sources like wind turbines. The Queen made sure that this new law did not apply to Balmoral and she got her lawyers to secure Balmoral an exemption from it. Now we have Charles the environmentalist on the throne it wont be too long before the Scottish media starts asking why every Scot has to permit their land to facilitate renewable energy but King Charles as the largest landowner in Scotland does not and is literally above the Scottish law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The worst thing Sturgeon could do right now will be to talk independence. The belligerent side of press, and public TBH, would eat her alive. Play the stateswoman, keep it dignified and in the immediacy of things

You are quite right in that.

Article in the Observer today asking 'What did the Queen actually do, apart from turning up on time, smelling the paint, smiling, and keeping out of politics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ALL of those details were answered when Ireland gained independence. All but one are complete non-issues.

Pound was pegged to Sterling. Treaty ports for the Royal Navy. Monarchy was kept until a loophole was found during an abdication and public opinion wasn't against the remove. Civil service kept going. Pensions were paid etc. etc. The Tories are trying to reduce headcount in the armed forces, which was also happening in the 1920's.

The remaining issue was funding and therein lies the devil in the detail and stuff like the demarcation line for fishing and mineral rights in the North Sea, is it east-west or equidistant from both shores ? Scotland still sends a lot of taxation and excise and crown estate south so there'll be a lot of haggling. The big difference is that Scotland is not likely to repeat an Anglo-Irish trade war.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, that is one brave woman to even hint at disillusionment towards Queenie. Trevor Sinclair got sacked for a tweet; I can imagine the performative royalists will love dog-piling on a leftie pleading sober context; and a female PoC n all.

She's free to do that though. Sturgeons best tactic is to behave like the leader of a nation she's meant to be. No politics, no grousing; just condolences from a foreign friend. Tomorrow we'll debate the logistics of that foreign status. No more than Michelle O'Neil did in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I don't know or think if it's Sturgeon, or her party and the people in the party behind her, who want a referendum.

From an economic and financial point of view I would never ever consider an independent Scotland. Also, I would never vote for Yes, because I don't want to give the SNP any "rewards" for their appalling work. The SNP doesn't deserve any rewards.

• Scotland runs a deficit of minus 8 %, and the trend is upwards, not downwards, also way more than England
    • SNP is very socially liberal on spending, free universities, free medicines, free menstrual products but doesn't want to consider financing.
    • The currency issue is still unresolved, London already stated that they won't allow to use the pound. Any Scottish currency would most likely be weak, and the Scottish majority clearly doesn't want to join the Euro currency, and even if, it won't be seamless as well.
    • The question of border checks and how hard the border is
    • Over 60% of trade is with the rest of the UK not with the EU. Would businesses like Standard Life or Scottish Widows sill serve their clients for the UK from Scotland? ( In 2014 they already indicated a move to England in the event of a YES vote )
    • EU membership will most likely not happen that quickly as the SNP believes or leads their votes to believe, - it will certainly not be seamless and other EU countries like Spain or even Belgium simply won't have it, as they also have fears of their own
    • NATO membership might happen quicker ( possibly within a year like Finland or Sweden), but military financing for submarines and other ships, fighter jets won't come cheap. And then there is the SNPs disgust for the submarines in Faslane.
    • Scots with a good career in the RAF or Royal Navy or the TA will have some hard choices to make on allegiances and also financial ( I doubt that they would pay more in Scotland )
    • I doubt that the funding of the NHS Scotland will be better under independence. It'll probably be something like in Ireland.
    • Any referendum decision of 49 - 51% in whatever way will certainly never unite a society and a nation, especially once the economic impact settles in.
    • And then there is the question if citizenship or dual citizenship with the UK, driver's licenses and reciprocity, etc...

Sadly populists don't care, are vague on the reality and only paint the picture that anything "bad" goes to England, everything good stays in Scotland. Straight and precise questions are either countered with deviation or with the "don't see it so negative" kind of talk....

There are also a couple of links on that subject: ( of course they are all wrong in the eyes of the SNP and their voters....)

London already stated that they won't allow to use the pound.

London can't prevent an independent Scotland using the pound. Much of the rest of the above points are based on speculation and conjecture.

Interesting that 49-51 wouldn't unite a society and nation, but apparently a 52-48 Brexit vote - against the wishes of the majority of Scots - is just something Scots have to swallow.

Eventually, assuming independence wins the day, there will be a negotiated settlement between Scotland and the remaining rump UK to determine what happens next. The Scots will have plenty of cards to play themselves, e.g. Faslane:

• Advertisement

I don't agree with your opinion, and you won't with mine, except with Brexit.

Scottish independence is full or arguments, often toxic, and London as a lot of options as well, from preventing the use of their currency to blocking the referendum altogether from happening.

The submarines also protect the security of Scotland and the whole of the UK, so that people with big bellies and no military experience and guts can sleep soundly at night ( and some can go to left wing protests during the day ) Ever been on a submarine? and know how serving there is like? My respects ! And apparently the SNP doesn't have that as well.

Of course you also have a different opinion on that.

Not even a referendum date, not even a majority for independence, and we already disagree profoundly.

It's sadly not unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

Eh some financing needs tidying up but most countries operate a deficit (if not basically all).

Currency is easy, go with the pound and slowly move away if desired.

NHS has no guarantee of continued financing from the UK and the NHS has been struggling more and more over the last decade due to Tory governments. There is no guarantee Labour will be in any time soon to help.

EU membership, countries have already said they are fine with Scotland joining as they see it as different to their own issues. However a bigger block there would be close links with the UK if they can never get a deal.

Indeed a military would need to be gotten but no one would expect a top of the line military from Scotland immediately. Nor is it required.

Allow dual citizenship. Make it like the North of Ireland and allow UK licences etc. All new ones issued should be Scottish.

Border should be kept as seamless as possible. Essentially think a Norway type deal but with the UK instead of the EU.

Essentially follow the Irish model for separating and not the UK model. Make the initial change as small as possible and slowly move away as things benefit you.

I don't have strong feelings either way on the submarine question. I don't believe it's worth the money that goes towards it but I can't imagine a British government ever taking that view. As such, it offers significant leverage to an independent Scottish government. I can see the benefits to a Scottish government agreeing to its continued use, as long as they get something in return.

The question of driving licences is just so trivial to be nonsense. The use of the GBP is not up to the rUK Gov, but the Scottish dept of finance, and the acceptance of the markets to its validity, as it will just mirror the GBP as the IRP (Punt) did for so long.

The Scottish 'economy' is controlled by Westminster, and the income for the Scottish Assembly is set by Westminster, so any choices made by the Scottish Assembly is spancelled by the UK Gov. Any gestures, like free university fees is at a cost to other matters that the English tax payers get for 'free'.

The whole point of Scottish independence is that these decisions are made by Scottish politicians and Scottish voters, and not by English Tories, or even English Labourites.

I doubt the number of Scottish residents that serve in the military that might vote in the referendum would be significant to sway the result.

If the Scots want to be free of the Westminster circus, they will vote for independence. Otherwise, they can continue to live under English Tory rule, or perhaps English Labour rule.

I think SNP rule is worse, it's a similar circus, funded and financially backed by Westminster. It would be a worse circus, once the funding stops, even more in times of "cost of living crisis" and Ruskies prowling the waters around Scotland with the "no submarine SNP".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Less of the FUD please. Scottish currency is 100% backed up by Sterling by law. The Bank of England would literally have to refund every single Scottish note in circulation as before it could even think about splitting the currency.

At end-February 2021, the three authorised banks in Scotland had an aggregate backing requirement

of £5.30 billion, comprising £5.10 billion of Notes in Circulation and £0.20 billion of Notes with the

Potential to Enter Circulation

Map of currencies pegged to others 2015. But you say it can't be done. We did for 57 years. And for a long time after that most places here would take Sterling at face value as the exchange rate wasn't that different. Here's a list of countries that peg their currency. But you say it can't happen.

Liz has said she wants to increase defence spending. Scotland could easily save 1% of GDP that way by not increasing spending and by not spending on Trident , the UK replacement for the Galileo GPS system and sundry commitments like Diego Garcia or the sovereign areas of Cyprus or the Falklands and subsidising BAE and other arms exporters.

Scotland's deficit of 8% is just Westminster accounting. It's the same reason that the ONLY areas in the UK without a deficit are London, the east of England (north sea gas) and the south east.

because of the concentration of UK financial institutions in the City of London, most interest payments, profits, leasing revenues, insurance fees, credit card fees and bank charges are recorded there as corporate taxable items – regardless of where in the UK or abroad they were earned. In an independent Scotland, on the other hand, these revenues would be taxed locally and register as Scottish Treasury income.

Also Scotland doesn't get to set tariffs or quotas or quality standards on imports, Westminster does.

The US subs in Holy Loch used to be serviced by the USS Proteus. So don't even need a base. Trident missiles are serviced at the U.S. Navy facility at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay in Georgia anyway. Repair and refurbishment of the boats is done in England. And besides the historical precedent was the Treaty Ports.

I'm going with Lord Buckethead's 2017 Manifesto on this one

• Nuclear weapons: A firm public commitment to build the £100bn renewal of the Trident weapons system, followed by an equally firm private commitment not to build it. They’re secret submarines, no one will ever know. It’s a win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If I were a military planner, the best place available to me, outside of Scotland, with deep inlets and sheltered harbours to build a submarine base or two, would be here.....

I think there is no point in discussing, as we would never agree. Your positions sound very much like a Brexiteer.

Incidentally defence spending and BAE employs quite a number of people in Scotland, notably in Glasgow. It'll be felt if these jobs are gone.

Also Putin will have a laugh, if Trident leaves Scotland.

I would never give populists a chance, whether it's Trump, Brexiteers or the SNP.

• Advertisement

The advantage of using the Firth of Clyde is that it's 40Km wide at the mouth so hard to see which way a sub is going, especially one that's been travelling submerged for the last 100km (the distance between Dublin and Holyhead)

Strangford Lough is shallow and very fast flowing at the narrow mouth. Carlingford Lough is also narrow and like the Foyle the other side is in a country that isn't a military ally. IIRC during the siege of Derry there was a chain put across Lough Foyle.

Better sites on the south coasts of England IMHO and the RAF is nearer. Norway is a NATO ally with lots of deep hideaways. Bristol Channel is also long and wide. There's options. https://www.aboutsubs.com/holy-loch.htm - US subs were supported by tender and a floating dock.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/uk-raf-stations-map/ - Most of the RAF bases are in England. Aldergrove in NI doesn't have any fighters or such like. In Wales Anglesey is for training and St Athan is an MOD site for non-aircraft training.

Scotland has just two bases one of which is "RAF Kirknewton ... home to 661 Volunteer Gliding Squadron." That leaves RAF Lossiemouth whose role might have to be taken by RAF Boulmer. Radars might need a treaty port arrangement.

Advertisement