Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Billy didn’t play intermediate. Has been coming on for the seniors all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

They spent the first twenty minutes of the game trying everything to stop Ballygunner from playing. Late hits and high hits is all they brought to the game for the first 20 mins. Doing that to that Ballygunner team does nothing, they’re too experienced for it.

If it hadn’t been the last 15 seconds of the match, Stephen Roche would have got the line for his antics. Not sure what he did just beforehand, but he ripped the faceguard clean off the Ballygunner player’s helmet. Dangerous enough manoeuvre, especially when the player was on his knees on the ground, and it summed up Mt Sions approach. I don’t have a strong dislike for Mt Sion, a lot of good friends are involved in the club and I had great battles with them down through the years. I call it as I see it though and they’re a very average team. The thing is, they’re the best of the other very average teams. My opinion on the game beforehand would have been the same regardless of who Ballygunner were playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Predictable enough outcome. Mount Sion tried to rough up Gunners at the start but to no avail. They were very game but ultimately limited. They rely too much on Aussie ; he’s only human and there’s a limit to how many players he can carry on his back. Apart from Luke O’Brien maybe, don’t think Davy will be calling up too many.

It’s onwards and upwards for Ballygunner ; they’ll take some stopping. As mentioned earlier, Ian Kenny didn’t put a foot wrong throughout. If I’m not mistaken, that was Patrick Fitzgerald’s first start at senior level ; he had some nice touches without raising any flags. When Dessie shot for goal in the 2nd half, Fitzgerald was completely unmarked inside, waiting for a tap in goal. They have great strength in depth, e.g. Billy O’Keeffe comes in near the end and nonchalantly taps over two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

So is it November 5th for BG’s next game in Munster…v tipp champions which at this stage is very hard to predict….? Winners of this one play limerick or cork champions..?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah weekend of the 5th Nov against the Tipp Champs in Walsh Park or Fraher Field in the Munster QF

Winners play Limerick Champs in the semi final 2 weeks later in Limerick (that's the case of a Ballygunner QF win)

• Advertisement

Shane O Sullivan now has something like 12 Senior County medals

Surely a record

Stephen o Keffee must be close to that also…?

Walsh park or fraher…….why would they play it in fraher

They played the Munster Semi final vs Loughmore-Castleiney there last year, possibly because of the floodlights

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

For a club team to have a player of the standard of Billy O Keeffe to come off the bench is crazy. Plus he's played in every line from at least half back up so he could slot in anywhere. And he's not alone, Jake Foley would be a starter for any other club in Waterford for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

No HARRY RUDDLE yesterday either.

Was he injured or just couldn't get into the team? I think I heard someone saying he was playing intermediate for BG this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Probably a non-runner but I’ll ask the question anyway, is it worth Davy picking up the phone and trying to coax SOK back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Harry Ruddle played in the intermediate game against Ballysaggart the other night. Eddie Hayden was one of their best defenders a couple of years ago and was on the bench for the intermediates the other night also. I think he was away travelling though so this could be the reason he’s not with the seniors.

Ballygunner are just a juggernaut. You could swap out 6 or 7 starters from yesterdays game and slot in subs or lads off the intermediates and they genuinely wouldn’t be any weaker for it. They’re a well oiled machine and the way they go about their business is so impressive. They may be hated be others in Waterford but you can’t help but be impressed. The money being pumped into the club is one thing, but other teams around the country in hurling and football have had similar backing and haven’t made it work. The application the players show is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭914

Isn't the redevelopment of Walsh Park due to start in October, which would rule the current stand and far side out of action until works are complete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Won't make any difference to the Ballygunner support.

I read somewhere (Co chairman quote in news and stat I think) that the ground will remain in use during the renovations/re construction……?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Games such as Ballygunner (All-Ireland champions) v the Tipp champions are sort of the showcase games in hurling nationally in November. We want these matches to get more national interest and showcase the club championship. The standard is not far off inter-county.

Given the weather at that time, they really should be played on the best surfaces available, e.g. Semple, Gaelic Grounds, Pairc Ui Chaomh and so on. If Walsh Park is in good condition, then fine.

But last year's mess with Ballygunner v Loughmore in a Fraher field badly cutting up and impacting the quality of match really shouldn't happen. No club is going to give up home advantage if they are entitled to it (so not judging Ballygunner here), but the GAA need to also consider the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Anyone think this? While Jamie gleeson was going through on goal and fouled his shot I thought and those around me hit the net..

It is only when I saw the game it was that o'keefe saved it..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Montys return

Fraher Field is a better pitch than Pairc UI Chaoimh. Wouldn't have thought the Garlic Grounds is that good either. You have to accept hurling is a summer sport, so if we have monsoon conditions we will have to compensate on quality.

Home & away arrangement is fairest I think, but not sure why Tipp champions have to travel to Waterford again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wouldn't agree with alot of this, Fraher Field was in awful condition for the Ballygunner Loughmore game last year, PUC pitch used to be poor but after they re-laid it in 2019 it's probably the best pitch in Munster, definitely best county ground pitch, held up well for Ballygunner Kilmallock and even on Sunday from the highlights i saw was in reasonable knick for the Cork quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,699 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Gaelic Grounds just after getting a resurface over the summer once the County season ended - Will prob be perfect soon

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭supernova5

Dan just can't get away from the Blue and White!!

how much will Ballysaggart be up for the challenge of Munster given there not actually 'county intermediate champions' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I was surprised at some of the tactics used by Mount Sion in last Sunday’s county final. They persisted with long puckouts, even into the wind in the second half, even though Ballygunner are past masters, especially in the kind of conditions we had last Sunday, in getting the ball to the ground under long puckouts and then winning the ensuing ruck.

Even when Mount Sion got good possession in the midfield area, they kept hitting balls (high and low) straight to individual forwards, even though they always had a Ballygunner defender up their rear end. Again, in wet conditions, it was easy enough for the defender to deny the forward possession in these situations. Ballygunner, by contrast, play the ball into open space for their speedy forwards to run on to.

Mount Sion also had no system for getting possession to Austin Gleeson who was out of the game for most of the time. Again, this contrasts with Ballygunner, who are excellent at getting the ball into Dessie Hutchinson’s hand. 

I have often thought that the best place to play Austin Gleeson is at corner forward and to play diagonal ball across the field into whatever corner he is in, with the ball preferably hitting the ground before it gets to him. Given his power, pace and skill, Gleeson could be devastating if he got sufficient possession in this situation.

This is the kind of ball that incoming mentor Eoin Kelly loved when playing for Tipperary, and Conor Stakelum in particular was very good at sending them in. It will be interesting to see if there are any developments along these lines when Kelly comes in.

I was also amused to see that, whatever about their poor recent championship record, Mount Sion still maintain a corporate memory going back decades. I noticed that, when Austin Gleeson was being given a towel to dry his hands and hurley before taking a free in the first half, the towel carrier also slipped him a dry sliotar. This was a standard ploy of Mount Sion’s when they were in their pomp back in the 1960s, especially when they got a late free in a close game on a dirty day. The dry ball probably was more use given the kind of sliotars they had in those days which absorbed loads of moisture, but I still had to smile to see that they are still at it, even though it is illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

You obviously don’t know anything about Ballysaggart if you’ve had to ask that question

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭optiplex780

It's part of a long list of things not known about I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

You don't need to type everything that comes into your head

At least I'm making an effort contributing to the fourm which had gone very quiet nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I think a conversation should be had at least. Even just to suss out were SOK’s head is at. Circumstances may have changed, He might not have been happy with previous management for example, or that Bgunner have reached the holy grail he might see it as one final shot at getting the intercounty medal aswell

My gut feeling is that he’s not for turning unfortunately. But we are talking about still one of the best keepers in the country, not to mind the county. So you have to try at least

Advertisement