Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BBC is embarrassing at the moment, they have gone way over the top.

But is anyone surprised?

This is the death of a monarch of 70 years.

It's a massive national event for the UK.

It's fair enough that we Irish who are not that invested in this see it as OTT but there was no way the BBC (the state broadcaster of the UK) were going to do this any other way.

I don’t mean this literally but you did. You and everyone else who believes in monarchy. In its essence monarchy is the belief that one family is superior to all others. And so on with nobility and titles. You are just witnessing the application of a belief you support. I’m not trying to be unkind but you simply cannot believe in both equality and monarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭gipi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

They've completely lost the plot over there. I've a friend working in a bank in the city of London and they all have been asked to wear only black suits and ties, black dresses for women etc.. into work all week. He texted on the WhatsApp group night that it was mostly ignored by all non UK staff members but British staff members felt pressured into complying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not surprising and not OTT. All planned and expected......BBC juts carrying it out

Even in death the lady is generating money and taxes and work and wealth.......It all goes around and many in Britain are ok with this.

About time someone took a step back and pointed out the silliness that's been going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Your point makes total sense. If I were asked why I support the monarchy it would be more to do with the history and lineage of it all. I’d like all that to remain but the imposition into everyone else’s life is something that I’m now seeing for real, rather than reading about what happened it bygone years.

I suppose it has been 70 years since a monarch died a majority of people wouldn’t have known what to expect. I hope that Charles realises now though (or when he gets the chance for a proper sleep and think on it) and will adjust the formalities of it all. The pompous lords and ladies might not be happy about that though. I have more disdain for them than any royal 😂

FWIW - if it is ever put to a vote to abolish the monarchy and that side won, it wouldn’t really bother me. Life would go on. I don’t understand replacing a monarch with a president though.

The National is a very much pro independence newspaper in Scotland.

Their headline should be no great surprise.

I don't think decent and educated people believe some people are "better" than others.

Better can be quite subjective. It is 2022 now. We really really have come a long way in terms of equality for all. Look at our laws. No law that I know of in Ireland or Britain excludes any human beings. We are all treated pretty much the same (in theory).

The RF for me are first and foremost human beings. Absolutely no different to any other human being in terms of being human.

I find the history and rules and traditions and protocols and pageantry etc fascinating, and very interesting. Its all just history, and people love history.

People need to relax. It is 2022 that we are looking at the monarchy at. They are more just about visual now and continuing on the works of their predecessors. They are no better or worse than the average human being. They are merely living their lives the way that the system expects them to.

Look at William and Kate. Two down to earth very normal people, who interact with other people in a very normal and natural human way. Charles, being older and from an earlier era, is not as attuned as them, but still just a man living his life according to the system.

I don't get the disdain for the monarchy. I just don't see it as at all being some system that is hurting and affecting anyone. It brings a lot of pride and joy and appreciation to many. Live and let live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yes, her death will be considered a rip roaring success for the monarchy and the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The fact that it was planned doesn't mean that it's not OTT.

I mean when BBC commentators are reduced to explaining that Paddington Bear was not a real life talking animal in the skit with the Queen it's fairly obvious that they have run out of things to talk about - yet they persist with the coverage.

If the content isn't interesting or informative but only exists because "it should be" then it is OTT by definition.

Interesting piece of trivia.

The body of the queen arrives at RAF Northolt this evening.

RAF Northolt is across the road from McGovern Park, home of the GAA in London.

Now I know nothing of the roads around there but she may pass the ground on her final journey to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

Utterly unquestionably OTT , planned or not planned !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I have been surprised by the lack of archival footage they have shown.

70 year reign, you'd imagine there's months of footage that they could be broadcasting instead of mindless contributions and the 100th person telling us that "she was a constant."

I won’t quote the Twitter feed that said this in order to discourage the hard right imperialist fanatical pile on but it hits one side of this very clearly:

“Britain lost its empire long ago but never underwent a process of decolonisation - people were simply left to nourish their imperial phantom pains. The hysteric outburst of performative nostalgia in connection with the Queen's death is a direct symptom of this cultural aphasia...”.

When the hysteria ends and the hangovers lift I wonder will Britain have a chance for un-manipulated reflection? Going by the media control over the past, no.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Some of the things being cancelled or postponed in respect for the Queen's death are crazy, like the cancelling of all other funerals. From what I have read though that is more to do with all of the funeral workers having the bank holiday off rather than a 'let no one else be buried on the same day'.

If you are on twitter, Grievewatch is worth a follow for some absolutely bonkers and strange ways in which various people/businesses are showing their respect.

https://twitter.com/grievewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Nothing you have written there is insightful, nor have you made any decent point or argument against the post you quoted. It's just you expressing a deeply divisive opinion, you are for the monarchy, others aren't. What was the point in quoting the post which was just stating facts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course not. People here are still taught the lie that Britain stood alone in the second world war, completely abrogating the contribution made by the rest of the Empire, particularly India. The right have already seized on the Queen's death to shut down any dissent and the police are already arresting protesters for simply peacefully protesting.

The woman hasn't even been laid to rest. Disgusting.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

They're taking the A40 into London and McGovern Park is just before the roundabout onto it so they'll definitely be passing it.

No idea what your point is here at all.

I wasn't arguing against the post I quoted. I was just expressing my view, that's all.

Nothing was meant to be insightful. As for a divisive opinion? Some people have no issue with a monarchy and some have. You're over-thinking here.

I am not for or against a monarchy. I expressed the view that today it seems very benign and harmless. I don't see how it can affect people to the point that they have contempt and disdain for it. Finally, being Irish and from Ireland, it has pretty much no negative or positive effect on me.....

I simply find it interesting, for the reasons I stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this wasn't upholding the law though, it was technically abusing it as the law is so open to interpretation and by individual officers.

1 protester was attacked in scotland but those who attacked him weren't arrested.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

because they wer arrested for nothing and their arrest was not about preventing a breach of the peace as in 1 case a breach of the peace took place when a protester was attacked, yet those who attacked him weren't arrested.

it's very clear what is going on, the law is being interpreted in such a way as to arrest descenters.

You could just imagine the producers dreaming up that slot

it wasn't the only option as he and the other protesters did nothing wrong.

they were arrested for descent without being arrested for descent.

the police could have simply moved them on or removed them and be done with it.

but no, they were arrested and some will face court dates for sweet FA.

moving him on out of the area was a perfect option and arresting the cfrowd who turned on him.

he was arrested for absolutely nothing ultimately.

it's clear what the breach of the peace law is being used for in these instances.

plenty of us are not fooled by what is going on here.

I think they’ll have to next time around- this was all set in stone for years so no one dared rock the boat but it all looks outdated now- fine have a period of mourning, have extensive coverage of the main events but get back to “normal” too-if the “Queen is dead, long live the king” means anything it’s that normal service (as in society not just tv coverage) should be reverted to where possible.

if you think about it, It’s also a way to shove the new king into the minds of the people and gain acceptance- it’s actually quite clever what they’re doing- whilst there’s a risk of over exposure, at the end of the 10 days of this unprecedented coverage, he’ll be well established as king in the minds of the people - that has to go in the palaces favour ?

I haven’t a clue why the police chose to arrest him unless they’ve issued a statement on the matter but acting a dick by disrupting a public funeral procession is good enough for me as reason for arrest - couldn’t care less about the crowd turning on him; that’s what crowds do when they’re annoyed with some numpty acting the maggot at an event they came to see - their response of God Save the King shows where their true loyalties lay - who knows what else that half-wit would have done if allowed to stay - he made his own bed- for people to say his “rights” were infringed is just laughable

• Advertisement

So, you are saying a UK police officers broke the law? Police officers are entitled to arrest people that they deem justify arrest.

Are you saying here some crime/law was broken by the coppers? That they illegally arrested him?

Advertisement