Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 45,578 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He heckled Andrew, calling him a sick old man whereupon he was assaulted by other members of the crowd as the police ignored that and arrested him.

The British police have been clamping down on any sort of anti-royal protest. See here:

And here:

And here:

Putin would be proud of this.

In their defence, the police must be tense as feck right now. Especially in London through this week and next weekend, with hundreds of thousands of extra people descending on the city centre. Its going to be like nothing ever seen before. There could be a suicide bomber or gunman anywhere in the crowds, so the police are going to come down hard on any disturbance no matter how isolated it looks. I cant blame them tbh

Britain does allow protest, and there'll be plenty of time for republicans to get something together in the early months of Charles' reign. Now, with police and army on a hair trigger, is not the time.

All this Putin and North Korea nonsense is just utter garbage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sports pundit Trevor Sinclair was sacked from TalkSport for a now deleted tweet remarking that black and brown people shouldn't be mourning Liz II. I've seen a few very quietly spoken opinions trying to note that her legacy was a crown that subjugated African people, even in her time. But very quietly because woe betide anyone trying to contextualise her life and the complications of her institution WRT to Black Britons.

In other news, looks like Charles won't have to worry about inheritance tax. The exemption, needless to say, was brought in by a Tory in 93...

Do suicide bombers and gunmen generally hold up pieces of paper? These policies are a direct result of the Tories pushing these powers through parliament.

Police seem to have been given the view that they can tackle anything that might be deemed to offend someone. Start of a slippery slope.

• Advertisement

i think you need have a zero tolerance policy in this environment for the next few days. Once a police officer starts trying to assess what is and isn’t a disturbance worthy of shutting down, using his or her initiative and maybe get in trouble for making the wrong call, then responses to a real threat will be slower and less effective. I would be very surprised if that is not the explicit instruction from a completely practical viewpoint.

protest is allowed in London. To claim otherwise is nonsense. Just not when there are hundreds of thousands of people crammed onto the streets and plenty of people around who would like to take a bite out of that

I think that the policing of this week long event is a completely different conversation to that of changes to the public order act or policies of the new Met police commissioner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think that the policing of this week long event is a completely different conversation to that of changes to the public order act or policies of the new Met police commissioner

No it isn't. Because those who choose to will always find exceptional circumstances to justify being more heavy handed.

Someone holding up a sign is not a threat, whether it is the Queen's funeral or a quiet Tuesday in February. If a police officer can not identify that they are not trained well enough to do their job.

Well, we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,700 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Obviously I don't have a clue how many are going to come along but pride gets 1.5m a year and Notting Hill 1m so the city is pretty used to it.

Speaking of Pride why are the police not worried about these very organized lads offending anyone. Got a whole stage and everything.

'Don't protest right now because it's not a convenient time' isn't the way protest is supposed to work in a free society. Whether they find it convenient or not ought to be irrelevant. Many republicans might say a time when the main channels are running 24/7 propaganda about the monarchy is precisely the right time to protest. Funny how the BBC can go out of their way to find the lone climate change-denying scientist, or the near-lone Brexit supporting economist - all for the sake of 'balance' - and yet they can't seem to find a single republican to put on the airwaves. They have even edited out crowd dissent from broadcasts.

I remember a time in the 2000s when an elderly man was ejected from a Labour conference for heckling a Jack Straw speech. There was a big backlash and they later had to apologise to him. Now you have British people getting hauled off from public places, sometimes for non-verbal protests, and the right-wing media are praising it. This is not a healthy direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I feel like there is no better time to bring attention to what the Royal family is and what problems people have with them. Its a topic that is going to be front and centre for a few weeks so why not have this discussion? We've already had a few days of mourning and people telling their stories about how great the Queen was. When can we move on to discuss the bigger picture?

She was Queen for 70 years. The world has changed an awful lot in that time. Surely now is the time for debate? And, as succession is automatic and there is already a new King, it's not like there's any waiting period where there can be a public discussion.

I always find it to be a sign of insecurity when institutions/Governments can't address any criticism and just dismiss it. If these positions are so solid and worthy, they can be defended easily and rationally. Sacking people for their opinions instead of asking them to explain them and arresting those who dare to question traditions is a very slippery slope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Because Liz II (or rather, her handlers) very carefully cultivated an image of being Granny Prime within the cultural zeitgeist; witness the cutesy videos with James Bond in 2012 - or more recently doing a skit with Paddington Bear. Let's remember how utterly hated she was in the wake of Diana's death - and that was pre-internet, pre-social media. There was still a groundswell of antipathy towards her & her reaction to events. Maybe in the following months there was a concerted effort by the Palace to ensure that never happened again.

The nations granny just died and so you get this outsized reaction from the very media apparatus happy to paper over the awkward realities of being a Monarch during the dying days of colonialism; after all, Liz was in Kenya when her dad died and ascended to the throne IIRC. She literally became queen while being a part of an Empire. Easier to put up this facade of being a sweet 'aul dear everyone loved - so those trying to quietly suggest the legacy isn't all cosy gets dogpiled. How dare you speak of Granny Lizzie that way; typical SJWs, they truly do hate everything!

But as we have seen time and time again, there is a reluctance for a certain quarter of British society, a quarter that has outsized control of the media, to interrogate its own history and sense of place in the world. That it chooses to ignore the messy and contemptuous history Britain and its monarch had with the Empire. They want to beat their chest about being a melting pot, an old and sainted democracy, without considering how that stew came to be - or have those dark faces be too prominent in society. They'll tut about the ghettos of America, or the banlieues in France - heaven forfend it be considered the UK has similar issues. Indeed it's probably (white) America's obsession with the royals acting as convenient proof the world just loves the Windsors.

I've often said, but could you imagine the furore if one of the Royals turned up with a partner who couldn't pass for "Mediterranean" at a pinch? Megan is mixed race but still attracted an obscene and utterly racist reaction masquerading as intellectual rigour. There'd be rending of pearls the likes of which we'd never seen from the Daily Mail set if (say) any of William's kids turned up with a distinctively West African partner. Mind you - I also think that would never be "allowed", but this is all getting into Conspiracy on my part.

(Ha. Oof. I realised this all reads like a huge anti-UK screed, and there are certain posters who pounce upon such passions. I should hope it's taken as read that I'm speaking only of a certain slice of British culture - not the whole.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Something is very off about not permitting protest of the coronation of a new, unelected Head of State, and using the funeral of the previous unelected Head of State to excuse that under a suddenly reasonable state of zero tolerance.

The coronation happens so quickly that there's no room for debate. When are unhappy subjects supposed to protest King Charles III's ascension?

Post edited by elefant on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Something bizarre about Irish people defending Megan given that she err married a Royal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So you think Irish people shouldn't oppose racism?

Spare us the Irish fighting against racism in the Royal family or Britain. Haven't we got our own problems.

Edit: Irish white people who are offended for Megan. Cringey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not a zero sum game. I've no idea why opposing racism in this country triggers this response.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Racism in Britain and America you mean. That's all that matters.

It is the general British politics discussion thread in fairness.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I'm not offended for Megan, just despair at the naked racism towards her. And if you actually read and digested my post instead of picking out the parts that enable you to feel intellectually superior to others, we might have had a conversation about where the UK Monarchy exists in the cultural zeitgeist. Even tell me I'm full of shít and why. Would have made a change.

Ah, but that might involve meeting people halfway, might require you to get down from your plinth that lets you go wow, why DO Irish people talk US/UK politics so much? How sad you all are.

Instead, as always, your side-of-the-mouth insults derail the thread; while others' replies surface the blocked posts so I still see them. Nothing of substance - as usual. Just empty passing remarks. Posted here for years and never seen anything resembling a discursive point. Just sneering.

Wish Boards' software also ignored replies to an ignored post. Course I'm not helping just replying but JFC like.

Well fair enough but Megan stuff is royal tittle tattle rubbish. Rich privileged stuff.

Well I'm merely pointing out the cringeyness of it, sticking up for a rich person.

Obviously I've hit a nerve. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Who cares if someones rich or not, racism should be called out and opposed no matter how rich the person its directed at is. And its important to not ignore the overt and public racism that she experienced because it will only embolden more racism towards people who arent rich if such public racism is seen to be gotten away with.

Complaining about people being against racism for any reason is defacto supporting racism imo. In case you still haven't caught what i'm throwing i'm saying your posts are therefore racist.

Nah, it's your usual disingenuous MO. Racism is fine when it's the right that do it. Diversity is great but only when the right do it. The usual.

I couldn't care less about the royals. I do care about opposing racism. Last week, the Met gunned down another unarmed black man but because one of the richest women in the world died, it was all but ignored. The Meghan stuff is pure, hateful racism, nothing else. There's an ugly section of English society that can't tolerate a woman of colour marrying into their precious, German royal family.

Your snide comments to derail this are emblematic of the problem. Somehow, I don't see you on the Soccer forum telling the lads that live in Ireland that they shouldn't be discussing the EPL. It's why I didn't buy your fake enthusiasm for diversity a few pages back.

H. H. Asquith

Yeah you're all great. You hate racism etc etc.

So you tell us every day.

I'm not interested in yet another one of your cringe-inducing sniping matches. Since you've nothing constructive to add, let's move on.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is the institutional media racism against uppity Meghan Markle really a general British politics discussion item?

I don't see why not. The Queen's just died and the press are already snarling at her. Happy to move to a different topic though as I've no real interest in the royals.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd argue its a cultural and societal matter that won't impact much on stuff like Parliament, civil discontent, Brexit, new PM etc.

Advertisement