Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young people and emigration: The elephant in the room

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Life and wellbeing here IS being downgraded, everything from social to healthcare to housing, every quality of life we had.

more difficult to attain services, harder to qualify and a long wait for everything from financial supports to healthcare..

it’s going to continue floating away in that direction.

young people see and are attempting to attain work and opportunities, make a base for a fair life elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd need more than a snappy comment which was what was posted.

Same everywhere. I think the end is nigh for lavishly-funded public services. We're entering the era of personalised medicine which will be a heck of a lot more expensive that what we have now. A course of CAR T cells can cost hundreds of thousands for instance.

The UK had a great deal where they were deporting a lot of retirees to Spain and importing the best and brightest of Eastern Europe but they've turned that on its head. Now we have a creaking NHS, a housing crisis, an abundance of NIMBY's and imperial measurements.

To get vaguely on topic, in Ireland there's just nothing for people like myself who've no interest in the drink, cars or English football. Dublin and even the likes of Cork, Limerick and Galway are too expensive and rural Ireland is just... dead in my opinion. Sure, Mayo might be cheaper than London but I'd earn significantly less and I'd have to own and upkeep a car. It's a false economy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

australia has followed many other developed nations such as little ould ireland, and has decided causing a hyper inflated property market by deregulating its financial sector, will be a roaring success, it probably wont end well! this can be clearly seen in the data provided, i.e. under such conditions, private debt rockets as its primarily used in the inflation of these property prices, as was the case in our pre 08 boom! again, this to will more than likely end badly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Opportunity, without affordable accommodation etc etc etc, is just an ephemerally vacuous idea.

As for the notion that we will leave the EU and lose all the FDI...

SF will see to that once they get into power.

MLODs trip to Silicon valley recently is complete bo$$ox

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

‘ Same everywhere’ is just not acceptable or shouldn’t be.

all of us and more before us having being contributors to and continually responsible for the setting up, delivery of and improvements of services and quality of life, get told now that hundreds of thousands will be coming over here piggybacking on those resources often ahead of the rest of us…

this is why kids now are emigrating.

when if they need a dig out with something, they have to wait an in ordinate duration of time and often have to pay full whack while others simply arriving get it free gratis…

if I was 18 again,I’d be gone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I never said it was. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't pretend that I did.

I know why people emigrate. I'm an emigrant myself.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

There’s a lot of anecdotal chitchat in this thread suggesting that young people are emigrating in droves. Is any of this backed up by hard data? A few people stating that their mate moved to Australia or Germany is indicative of well, nothing.

I don’t have time to look through CSO data right now, but last year saw a record high of net inward migration to Ireland, including Irish people returning home. The birth rate also jumped by 16% YoY. Ireland is doing just fine demographically.

I’m a little bemused by this thread to be honest..

More than 70% of young people aged between 18 and 24 are considering leaving Ireland for a better life overseas, according to a recent study. 

The survey, carried out by RedC on behalf of the National Youth Council of Ireland (NYCI), found that many young people "will choose to leave" if they feel their voices are not heard in the upcoming budget. 

The NYCI, which represents 55 voluntary youth organizations across the country, expressed concern about the "severe impact" that the cost-of-living crisis is having on Ireland's youth. 

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irelands-youth-considering-emigration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Average unit price in Australia is about €625,000, Ireland is €320,000.

Anyone emigrating for cheaper housing needs to reassess that plan.

• Advertisement

Really? Is that consistent across Australia? Perth looks to be a heck of a lot cheaper than much of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭foxsake

who is having the kids though? not much of that is the middle class -taxing paying- wannabe mortgage holders.

It's all there.

Mean in Western Australia is $640k, or about €433k.

Means are based no the total price all over the country. By definition, half the housing stock will be below the mean.

Plus ca change.

Young people always think the grass is greener. Vague intent rarely correlates with action. Unless there's actual data to suggest that young people are leaving Ireland in droves, I'm struggling to see what people are getting so exercised about.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

theres an awful lot of hyperbole in this post.

Ireland is actually very comparable to Denmark with a few stark differences. https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/denmark/ireland

what basic services can Ireland not provide?

loads has changed in Ireland, and to say otherwise is just ignorance. given you don't live here its not surprising.

and sure tell us where you went. where is this great panacea to all the WOrlds problems? cause i can gaurantee you its got a host of issues, most likely we could pick a dozen problems out with it. and if your lucky to avoid them thats just your experience. same here, millions of Irish people live happy, wealthy, serviced lives.

the very reason we have problems is because our inferiority mentality is nearly dead. we've actually swung the other way too far, now bursting with entitlement etc.

the same tired narratives are always laid out on these debates. its a wonder we have gotten this far at all seeing how **** Ireland is, how everybody etc left.

we have huge issues in this country, just as 99 per cent of the modern World does.

• Advertisement

You asked for a link. I've given one and now you're moving the goalposts. I suggest that you do your own research from this point onwards.

Obviously, the CSO doesn't break down births by socio-economic class. In terms of nationality, it's ~80% Irish people, 10% EU, and 10% rest-of-world.

FFS, there's no talking to you, is there? Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You’d better say “ex-pat”, ACD. You wouldn’t want them all picturing you as some grubby faced factotum out to screw over the “system” to the detriment of the native citizens.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Price-to-income housing ratio for Perth is definitely cheaper than for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭foxsake

I get you but they should.

I think though we all know anecdotally what the craic is .

Nope, by definition half the housing stock will be below the median.

If the mean for Western Australia is $640k, and Perth is the most expensive place in WA, then it follows that the mean for Perth will be higher than 640k.

Houses are more expensive in Australia. You asked for a source, you got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Price relative to income is the metric that matters most for determining housing affordability. Perth is cheaper than Dublin when taking this into account.

'A person working in Perth typically earns around 102,000 AUD per year.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Considering is not the same as doing. Where are they going to go where it is all better than here? Lots of people go away and find it is not better. Are all these people with language skills that they can work easily elsewhere? You then have only English language countries which have strict immigration policies generally other than the UK. So that means you have to generally have a 3rd level qualification to get in. Getting an entry level job in a new country might be a little difficult and often pay poorly.

You may get a better life but when people do their research to actually move after considering it will drop the idea. I would say most considers moving out of Ireland between 18-24 so 70% doesn't change much in my view

Never said it was.

You'd have a much better quality of life in an English city like Manchester or Liverpool than in Dublin. Newcastle is also very cheap compared to most of Ireland.

A lot of European countries have sectors where speaking English wouldn't be a problem such as tech and life sciences. I've got a much better quality of life here in London than I'd have ever had back in the sticks in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

not to be funny but thats more about your social circle than anything

In any objective analysis of quality of life, Ireland always ranks highly.

In the rankings of angry lads on the internet, not so much.

You couldn't make a go of it here. Grand. One of the beauties of living here is how easy it is to go elsewhere. Just because you were miserable doesn't make it a miserable place.

I've never understood the begrudgery mindset. If you're happy in Ireland, that's great. Moaning that other people decided to leave and it worked out for them is just a bit demented to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

Huge money to be made in WA in the right industries. 433K would be around 4-5 years salary at 40% tax in alot of jobs and no employee pension contributions to eat into net wage

• Advertisement

All I am saying is the choices to move to where your quality of life will be better outside of Ireland is limited in more ways than people think. On top of that considering moving changes dramatically when reality of the situation are looked at.

as for a better quality of life in Liverpool or Manchester I would say no. Personally I dislike the cities immensely and consider the city centres rough. You like London and I really don’t and lived there myself for a while but I will say not as a person with a good job. Dublin is the nicer city to them all but I am not paying massive rent barely getting by like I was in London.

Priorities change as you get older so where the nearest nice restaurant is compared to the nightclub is more important later on.

I get why younger people go on about stuff as they can only see their future but they lack knowledge of what the past was. They get a very distorted view of better and worse times. They also lived through some pretty good times the older generations didn’t. The problem with many who left are also stuck in the moment they left which may have been very personal circumstances.

My experience of London is as valid as yours is as is somebody else’s view of living in Dublin or Ireland.

Again, you're responding to statements I never actually made. Your experience is as valid as mine but the opposite is also true.

Dublin is a tip by comparison. Even somewhere like Sofia has a better public transport system. Don't even start me on the issue of anti-social teenagers. Cities like Manchester and Liverpool are much nicer, safer and affordable with plenty of nice restaurants. Manchester even has its famous curry mile if that's what one's into. I'd happily move to either tomorrow if I could get a job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am very familiar with Manchester, the hipster or nice bits, for example, Chorlton or Didsbury are expensive there are nice bits in the center such as spinningfields and Canal st but a lot of the center and surrounds are quite rough, it also has a very transient population, there are a lot of nice bars and restaurants, its a mixed bag the same as Dublin property is cheaper but not hughley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

We need broader boulevards, late night clubs, bigger Avant Garde galleries, more densely spread service industry outlets and easy access to quality sleaze and filth. They're the real reasons for emigration.

Dublin is not a tip compared to those UK cities. its totally disingenuous to say so. just nonsensical rambling here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Might as well go with the current narrative that the western world is fucked for young people and it's in decline anyway, what about south America to emigrate to parts seem very nice.

Although I do wonder what the thousands of Brazilians are doing in Dublin as it's such a kip.

i love Liverpool but to say its better than Dublin is just utter nonsense. it makes you come across as an anti irish/self hating irish loon. the country is better off without the likes of you

More hysterical wailing and shrieking. This is pointless.

• Advertisement

you're the one talking utter bollocks. agreed totally pointless engaging with a self hating Irishman

I don't hate anyone though I am a bit fed up of the endless complaining and begrudgery.

Since you lack the capacity to be civil, I won't be responding to you any more.

I wonder the way things are going will trailer parks become a thing in Ireland with loads of low wage / restricted income people living in them?

Probably not as the weather is so inclement.

No I responding to what you are talking about you just don’t acknowledge the implications of what you are saying. I completely disagree with your view of 3 cities in the UK. While you might like them you can’t really say everybody will agree and objectively they don’t score against Dublin. I tried to point out how personal views effect people but it doesn’t sound like you ever lived in Dublin as you refer to living in the sticks.

reality is those that can get good jobs in Ireland will stay those that can’t will move to another country if they can’t or think they will get better elsewhere. Some will stay some will return some will be happy some won’t. If you never met the miserable Irish living in the UK congratulations you managed to start at higher level over there. I have been in the UK as both a struggling minimum wage type to a business professional. I didn’t feel any different about the place. UK is incredibly racist is how I see it and I would be surprised if you never got a hostile thing said to you because you were Irish.

Each to their own and I would suggest people travel to get their own view because you tend to only here about the successful people who moved not the unsuccessful who still stay.

That's exactly what you were doing and you know it.

I spent 4 years in Dublin. I was the subject of multiple attempted muggings, I saw black bus drivers being openly called the n-word and I've had teenagers throw stones at me. The place is a tip. Simple as. Any given day, After Hours or Current Affairs will have a busy thread about some latest incident that has happened where the perpetrators got 2 days in prison.

Saying that the English cities don't measure up is something I'll believe when I see actual proof, not before.

• Advertisement

If people want to tell me that Vienna, Auckland, Sydney or Copenhagen are nicer places to live than Dublin, fair enough.

Leeds and Liverpool? Give me a break.

I doubt you will believe any data shown.

No idea how you ended up with attempted muggings so often. There is racism in Ireland it isn’t like the UK where it is much more prevelant. So while you are paying attention to Boards how much attention are you paying to Liverpool, Manchester or London which has a lot of violence and murder. Are the police in London still carry automatic weapons, last time I was there they were.

London still has huge areas of council housing with people in poverty and of set ethnic make up. Gangs stabbing each other is still a thing. You might not live near there but it is there. Oddly the only time somebody tried to mug me was in London but never in Dublin.

This is just a list. There's no info on how it was calculated.

Since you've begun with yet another snide comment, I'm not going to bother with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Young people whingeing.

The elephant in the room.

You did exactly what I said you would do so it wasn’t a snide comment but an accurate prediction . It has links to how it is worked out. Why don’t you focus on where you live rather than a place you don’t want to live? Is it self justification for your own choices?

• Advertisement
Advertisement