Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite series?

• 11-09-2022 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15 unkown22

I am currently looking for something to watch. Crime genre specifically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭trashcan

What have you already seen ? My faves are The Wire (obviously) Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. If subtitles don’t put you off, Narcos and the Deutschland series (83, 86 and 89) are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 unkown22

I have seen a few of the ones you named. I'll have a look at the other ones. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

Gomorrah and Mr Inbetween are absolute class, very gritty/realistic. Might want to only watch the first 2 seasons of Gomorrah though, kinda goes to shite after them.

Brotherhood is fairly good too, very loosely based on Whitey Bulger.

Southland is imho the best cop show hands down ever, can't believe its not more popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Andrew93

For crime I would recommend Blackbird & the Lincoln lawyer as two of my more recent watches that I really enjoyed. Mindhunter and True detective are two others that I would recommend to anyone as must see shows.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Crime you say....

The wire (also we own this city kind of a spin off)

The sopranos

The shield

Breaking bad (I didn't like better call saul even though saul was one of best characters in BB)

Oz. Really gritty and hard watch at times

Mr inbetween watching now, its good

Narcos (all of them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

If you enjoyed the Wire, check out "The Night of" its a great lil one and done season, Richard Price is one of the creators and he was a writer on the wire. It actually feels like you're watching the wire again, just a different aspect of the systems process. Great cast and performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

Bosch was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

A wee shout for old skool NYPD Blue. Haven't watched it since it finished so don't know how well it has aged but, by God, it was good back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭ratracer

Dopesick

We Own This City

Blackbird

are the most recent series’s I enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I’ll go even more old school on you with Hill Street Blues. Channel 4 showed them all at some silly hour of the morning a few years ago. Written by Steven Bochco of NYPD Blue and Dick Wolf of Law and Order.

Recommend a lot of the others already mentioned too but if it’s a good old fashioned cop show you want…The Wire is the daddy IMO.

Also Snowfall which reminds me I think I’ve a season to catch up on and Mayor of Kingtown (only one season so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Bones

NCIS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Ages since I've watched it now but Luther springs to mind as one you might enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

City on a Hill is a good watch in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Oz is my personal favourite of all time show. While not as polished as other HBO shows like the Sopranos, it grabs you by the throat from episode 1 and does not let go til it ends. Some of the acting is immense and it has some superb character arcs. Ive watched it 5 or 6 times and now, because of this thread, Im gonna watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

I wish I could agree on that but I found the quality fairly dipped in S03 and seemed to get worse as it went on. Personally feel they killed off too many well written characters and never replaced them 🙁.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

ah yeah, the bodycount was massive. Still, I loved it the whole way through.

Anyway for the original poster, I'd recommend 'Succession'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,475 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Gang Related was brilliant, only got the one season though 😢

Vigil is also worth a watch. Set on a nuclear submarine so it is a change in scenery to other crime shows.

If you want something more along the lines of Bones (i.e. detective and coroner), I would highly recommend Rizzoli & Isles.

Sherlock, the BBC series, is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mindhunter you might enjoy

Actually just came into my head when I saw this thread. I was engrossed in it

The Sinner was the very definition of a binge-watch for me.

YeahI enjoyed Mindhunter. Felt like they cancelled it prematurely. Another one I enjoyed, which I haven’t heard mentioned much is Sneaky Pete. It’s on Amazon, and I really enjoyed it. Has the same “hooky” experience as Breaking Bad (but the story is completely different.) Bryan Cranston plays the villain in the first season. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you like crime,sex and violence then Banshee is the show for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

The Americans !

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My current crime show is City on a Hill, Kevin Bacon is great in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

The Following is good. Kevin Bacon's in it. Think it aired from 2013 - 2016 ish

BBC re showing Our Friends in the North. Fabulous series. Possibly the best British TV series I’ve ever seen. Don’t think it’s been repeated since it first aired in the mid nineties. First acting breaks for Daniel Craig, Christopher Eccleston, Gina McKee and Mark Strong, plus a back up cast of well known British TV Actors.

Aw so many, but I'm assuming you've seen all the huge ones? If not, True Detective series one.

Swedish/Danish The Bridge is brilliant I think. As is the Anglo-French series based on it, The Tunnel.

Been rewatching Cracker lately too. 90s crime series about an extremely gifted criminal psychologist (but with so many personal problems he needs to be on the other side of the shrink's desk himself). Robbie Coltrane is just SO good!

• Advertisement
Advertisement