Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I don't think the added depth made it any more fun or engaging, just more finicky, and the new systems actually actually limited gameplay styles by forcing you to use these systems just to maintain the basic amount of health/ammo and armor. As I said earlier, the awful platforming sections and non-sensical story were also step downs from its predecessor. And don't get me started with them poxy axe demons.........

Its still a fantastic game but I only played through it once, compared to 3 or 4 playthroughs of the original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I bounced off Eternal early and wasn't quite as fond of Doom 2016 as others, but the latter definitely had a looser, more free-flowing form of combat which I found more appealing. Eternal from my limited time definitely felt more prescriptive, and more punishing if you neglected to use the mechanics for a second. That has its advantages, but also means it loses a certain sense of general flow and adaptability. It was a bold choice for a sequel to actually change the flow so substantially, although one that understandably proved divisive.

That said, I didn't get super far in Eternal so I really must re-download it on Game Pass and give it another shot. That said, its decision to have 'more storytelling' was a straight-up bad design decision compared to the no-nonsense approach of the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Doom 2016 was very fresh, but I also couldnt vibe with Eternal, The story was needlessly lore filled following the pared back approach of 2016.

It felt that they simply added system on top of system - weapon modes, runes, abilities, and every mistake was punished severely to the point of it not being too much fun. I'd consider myself fairly average at FPS, but the juggling of abilities, combos etc made it feel like a game that was at odds with itself.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't think the added depth made it any more fun or engaging,

It did, its just it takes time and somewhat more effort to understand and get comfortable with the added features, but my god when playing the game as the designers intended its so much fun, makes other first person shooters feel absolutely pedestrian.

the new systems actually actually limited gameplay styles by forcing you to use these systems just to maintain the basic amount of health/ammo and armor.

Once you gain a proficiency with these systems maintaining health/ammo and armor becomes far less of an issue. Its not gone entirely but becomes like second nature that you do on instinct as part of the regular gameplay loop.

As I said earlier, the awful platforming sections and non-sensical story were also step downs from its predecessor.

To be honest the platforming I could take it or leave it. Wasn't too much of it, wasn't too difficult. Didn't love it but don't get the hate for it either. Story wise didn't really do much for me either. Wouldn't call it terrible, but I don't really play Doom games for the plot.

And don't get me started with them poxy axe demons.........

LOL this isn't a brag on my part, and believe me the Marauder handed me my ass the first few times I played him...but the guys a teddy bear and actually fun to fight. Yes the tutorial made the mistake of not really clarifying what medium range is (hint its further away than you think) Once you know how he works and how to fight him it goes from oh my god I'm fooked!!! too, oh look 3 Marauders at once that's so cute but I'd like a challenge please could I have 6?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The only 'Ace' I like is Ace of Spades by Motorhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The Steam Deck means Nintendo have to produce some hardware innovation that can not be emulated on it. It's doing dual screen WiiU and DS now. And it can play that game above that @Retr0gamer bought shares in. 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think saying I bought shares in it is disgusting hyperbole. I only bought the game twice (the ace combat 5 remake made it worth it).

I used to invert Y-axis controls for all games until one day I said feck it I'm just going to get used to up being up and down being down. Which worked, I now play like a normal brained person.

But as a result I can no longer play flight games. My brain just gets too confused. I invert and I go up for up. I don't invert and I go down for up. It's just so confusing in the heat of the battle.

The joy and pleasure of Ace Combat 7 and MS flight simulator is gone from my life because I messed my brain up.

Just thought I'd share that 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There's a special place in Hell for those games that allow you to invert Y but not X. I too had to get used to normie controls for Madness Returns and still resent the game for the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Am I understanding you correctly you play games where you press right to turn left?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My bad, misread your post and thought you were talking about the camera controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Invert for flight games, but what kind of monster inverts for an FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Doom 2016 was the perfect Doom reboot. Lightning fast action, big weapons and a little bit of weapon customisation to make it feel more modern.

Doom Eternal was the perfect Doom 2016 sequel. It made an effort to not be Doom 2016 mk.II and added in gameplay mechanics that forced the player to play in a new way, which happened to also be lightning fast and somehow stay true to Doom.

I completely sucked at Eternal until close to the end of the main story because life was busy and I only got to play maybe once a week at which point, I was forgetting what all the buttons did mid-fight. I was essentially playing it Doom 2016 style. Once I played it more regularly, everything clicked and I stopped sucking badly at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

My brain doesn't understand it any other way.

Pull down to go up! Push up to go down!

Now I'll never understand those who invert Left/Right! True evil right there 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I usually just play as it is at the start and see how I get on. But think for FPS I would treat moving the reticle as if controlling a cursor.

A god that has been playing since quake.

Your brain adjusts pretty quickly, I've had to play non inverted in some games and it takes about 4 hours for your brain to rewire.

I started with flight sims so I inverted and kept it that way. No disadvantage to either way other than the smug feeling of superiority that non inverters will never feel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Goldeneye finally announced. Xbox and Switch.

Also, some other indie exploration game or something, Tears of the Kingdom? Probably a Ubi style game with loads of map markers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is that the 5th of December or the 12th of May? Stupid American dating system causing completely avoidable confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'd also put that as a fault of the game as the makers should allow for people who will only play once a week. Like others I kept running out of ammo, I'll go back to Doom eternal at some point but before I do I'll have to google what I'm supposed to be doing

Another great nintendo direct. Some good news of new games loads of great news of remasters, rereleases and indies. Nintendo has been on fire.

I didn't get on with it initially. It's a very different game to 2016. You really have to balance the use of the chainsaw and glory kills to balance health and ammo. You just have to adjust to it but it's great once it finally clicks. It just takes a while before it clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah I'll wait till I have a full day and will definitely go back to it. It is much more engaging than a lot of other FPS's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone else prefer when games are easy and you plough through like a beast. I'm currently playing Rage 2 and was beating everyone at ease and it felt great until I got to this area and I am getting my ass handed to me. I know the reason too I am in an area I shouldn't be yet so I am under powered well at least I hope it's that and not that I am not good enough.

I already a few days ago quit Doom Eternal as I was getting my ass handed to me in that game too. I will go back to it at some stage.

I actually stopped playing Rage 2 this evening after dying in the same spot three or four times. Rage quit I think you call that. Tomorrow evening I will plough in and have better tactics. There is just so many of them and they seem to be more powerful than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, as I'm pushing on I'm finding I prefer the experience over the challenge. I may have liked the Souls games 20 years ago, now there's just so much out there I can't be bothered "gitting gud" so I move on.

Also, imo, the whole point of escaping into a game is to be something or someone you're not, and to be the best at it. It's why I play on lower difficulties in say, NBA 2K. I want to be the star, not second place. Losing has its place, and aside from death loop games, death is not a mechanic! (No, souls aren't death loop games).

Tell me a story, bring me to amazing worlds, and make the gameplay fun. Subanutica, Dysmantle, the Mass Effect Trilogy, God or War series, Legacy of Kain series. They all do the above for me.

I much prefer an authored challenge like how dark souls or an old school game like MegaMan provide. There's craft that goes into it and it makes games far more enjoyable. However I also recognised that for an open world game this isn't always possible. Elden ring suffered a bit in the end game with most bosses being a cake walk and then you have stuff like Bethesda games and breath of the wild which have dynamic difficulty but it just means you fave damage sponge enemies which sap the fun.

Saying that I also don't mind plowing through a game if it's lots of fun. What I don't like is a big open world game that poses no challenge and is totally brain dead.

• Advertisement

You're pulling the butt of the gun down to point up. Or you could say you're pulling your head back to look up. Makes perfect sense 😄

Advertisement