Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

2 of those 3 games were in 2019 when he was 20 and getting fúck all game time at club level. A player can improve and develop a lot over 3 years especially one who is only 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What errors did he make in the 3-1 win vs Bulgaria? A team Kennys team couldn’t beat in 2 attempts.

Or in his 24 mins vs NZ?? We were 2-1 up when he came on and we won 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

O'Shea, Molumby, and Cullen all start tonight. No McNally again, and Costello drops out after being on the bench mid week. Gonna be interesting to see Molumby Vs Cullen in midfield tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

O'Shea misses a free header to level just before half time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The only bad game I recall Travers having was against Serbia which was years ago now. Only for that he might still be Irelands nimber 1. He is a known entity though as is Bazunu. Kelleher isn't and the only people I have ever seen suggesting he start for Ireland are Liverpool fans putting club before country. Bournemouth were always going to struggle in their 2-4 games of the season. They are probably where they expected to be at this stage albeit their goal difference shouldn't be that bad. Harsh to blame Travers for that though

• Advertisement

Reading on the Athletic that Cullen turned down offers from La Liga and Bundesliga clubs in the summer to join Burnley.

Bazunu now has more starts in the PL than Kelleher has.

Yeah remember reading that and would have been great to see him playing in one of those leagues. Burnley probably offered the best wage and with VK also there was a no brainer for him. At least Burnley try to play decent football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Mark is a good solid keeper as is Gavin. He should have beem give the Wolves game at the very least and there the games he gets judged on. He was marginally at fault for one of the goals again Liverpool. Some going considering his confidence must have been on the ground. The shite on here is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Bournemouth ireally a Championchip team playing in the Premiership, nothing against them used to see them a bit when I lived nearby, but ther capacity is about 10k, no doubt owner who is Russian will be happy to just Yo yo. Regarding goalkeeper, I see Bazunu as our No. 1 going forward.

Connolly starts for Venezia

Kerrigan starts for Como

• Advertisement

Think they want to move to a bigger stadium as they're only tenants at the current stadium but want help from the council to build I think I read.

But yeah they'll be happy to get the TV money, if they survive lovely but if not they'll get parachute payments and favourites to come back up etc etc.

Yeah for me Bazunu is our number one and going forward I don't really see the other two challenging him much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Watching. First half over and it's 0-0. Poor enough game with very little created by either team. Connolly actually had the ball in the back of the net just before the end of the half, but it was ruled out for offside. Hoping for better in the second half.

Absolutely Gavin is our Number1 . But its great to have 2 PL keepers and another one second choice at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

We should be delighted with that but we have to listen to WUMs on here.

Jaysus I remember when we had Kieran ohara as our up and coming goalie. Jaysus wept.

We are in a really good place with our GKs. You'd have full confidence in all 3 being solid for us.

We've struck it lucky with the goalkeeper situation. Bazunu only turned 20 in Feb and looks like someone that could go right to the top.

Travers was arguably the number one keeper in the championship last season and only turned 23 in May. He'll undoubtedly get his chance again and unfortunately for him found himself in goal for a poor team against three teams that could well make up the top four this season.

Kelleher will be turning 24 in November and while his situation could be better for us he's the trusted number two for a massive club at a young age. Has looked good when asked to start.

Interesting that there's no Michael Obafemi in the match day squad after the interest and bids from Burnley being turned down.

Ouch. Idah has no luck.

Hopefully they are fitness related absences or else the transfer will have been a disaster for both.

Re idah. Im nearly of the belief at this stage a full season of starting in League 1 would have been a good thing.

Idah had surgery on his meniscus and unfortunately for him could be something that affects his career. Could be swelling in the knee like last month or hopefully not and nothing knee related if it is indeed injury related.

Russell Martin said Obafemi was left out because he felt his head wasn't in the right place.

"Michael, we had a chat after the deadline day madness and both decided it was best for him to have the weekend off and that he couldn't contribute in a way that he should have. I'm a young manager and have to learn a lot, I shouldn't have brought him on Wednesday with what was going on, I made the wrong call. But I feel like we made the right call today, and Michael agreed.

"He'll come back in on Monday, we'll have a really good chat and we'll make sure he's in the right frame of mind to contribute. His head has been filled with all sorts of nonsense since we first came back in, so his energy has been a bit different.

"We need to get back to the Michael Obafemi we had from December onwards and I'm sure we will."

Jim Goowin had similar to say about Jamie McGrath and outside influences back in January.

“I told Jamie there are outside influences in his ear telling him this and that but it’s purely speculation. The most important thing is concentrating on the football because the move will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have and he is not great, and not only that Kenny seems to make a point of talking him up to give him confidence. Which is what a manager is supposed to do. But I am not his manager I don't have to sugar coat it.

Also, compare Bazunu to Travers, In bad defeats Bazunu has the ability to shrug it off. Shows a bit of goalkeeping charisma. Travers folds like a deckchair. How does that instil confidence in a defence? There is a reason Travers has been dropped by Bournemouth and is only Ireland's third choice keeper. Simple as that. It is just my opinion of course.

But I don't get why just because a fella is Irish, some Irish fans feel the need to talk Travers up. Or any Irish player in general for the sake of it etc. Instead, wouldn't it be refreshing for fans to tell the truth. If a player is not very good or a liability why not say it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It’s extremely simple, you’ve been asked twice for the errors Travers made that qualifies your opinion that he consistently makes errors.

you haven’t had a response to that question. So we think you need to watch more and talk less. Any questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Would you just stop at this stage. You've already admitted you have barely watched him since the Serbia game

I never said that posters implied it and others ran with it. i simply said seeing Travers for three Ireland games is enough. Plus added to his recent club form and him being dropped what does it add up to. Now supporters defending players is admirable. But blindly defending players and making excuses for them as fans is the wrong thing to do IMO. It is similar to the approach the fella on Irish Football Fan TV does defend the players no matter what. It becomes silly, Why not call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel?

It is there for anyone to see should they look them up. In past experience on boards even if examples are shown the poster then moves the goalposts pardon the pun. So I am not going down that rabbit hole. Plus Travers does not have a commanding presence which is crucial for a goalkeeper. He is mentally fragile IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

You'd wonder did Michael want to join Burnley is that what his agent was pushing him to do. Obviously money related. He needs to toughen up a little mentally still. That kind of thing isn't uncommon to happen in football and he should be able to park it while playing for Swansea.

Good to see a manager support a young player. The last thing we'd need is Gavin being dropped too. He was at fault for the Wolves goal but that will happen. A young goalie like him needs to be guaranteed games and told that mistakes won't necessarily see him being dropped. Pity Bournemouth took the view that Mark it is the weak link. Laughable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

I have a bad feeling in my gut about Obafemi. I hope I’m wrong, because he’s obviously a talent. I just hope the Scotland game isn’t as good as it gets for him in an Ireland shirt. And before anyone jumps all over me, I’m not writing him off. As I said it’s just a feeling I have.

Trashcan's got a feeling

A feeling deep inside - oh yeah

Trashcan's got a feeling

A feeling he can't hide - oh no

• Advertisement

Concerning that his head seems to get turned so easily. There's ability clearly there, he needs to get his head down and let his football do the talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He seems like a fella who could maybe do with a good long term advisor - not in an agent capacity, but rather someone who won't profit off his specific actions. Just someone to keep him focused on the longer term goals, who he knows is on his side. He does seem to get overly effected/distracted by the little drama's around football.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

It keeps me on my toes, oh yeah ! Everybody pulled their socks up, everybody let their hair down !

Women's team had a great campaign. A bye to the second round of the playoffs but neither round is seeded so could get lucky or draw one of the top two teams.

Adam Idah will be out for a number of weeks after undergoing surgery on his knee. Was still suffering with swelling in the knee and has undergoing exploratory surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wish him all the best and luck.

Very annoying from Irish point of view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Irish Women team will play Scotland or Austria for place in the World Cup

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any chance of a double header with the men in Glasgow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Round 2 - October 11

Portugal/Belgium v Iceland

Scotland/Austria v Ireland

Switzerland v Wales/Bosnia-Herzegovina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I would think it's more likely to be Austria. And that will be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

There's a separate women's thread.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

At this stage of the competition everyone will fancy themselves in one off games. Wales or Bosnia would have been the best draw though. Was a good campaign and should set them up nicely to have a right crack at qualification for Euro 2025 which being one of the three best runners up would get you automatic qualification and avoid a playoff. Will likely be the final tournament for a few of the girls so be interesting to see if some call it a day if we qualify for the WC or stay on for the Euros.

Men's senior and U21 squads should be announced Thursday or Friday. Interesting to see if more games are postponed between now and then. Not that some players who aren't getting minutes atm will suddenly of pick up game time ala Doherty, Coleman, and Duffy.

U19s kick off their campaign Wednesday week against Gibraltar which is a handy first fixture and don't think their squad will be announced until after the U21s. Can't see anyone from the 2004 group sneaking into the U21s so they should be unaffected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So apparently the time for the 2nd leg of the U21 playoff away too Israel has been moved to 7pm with the 2nd half clashing with the start of the senior game at home to Armenia on the 27th September

Bloody irritating

James mclean sticking to his guns anyway. Had a dig at miguel delaney. No black arm band for him.

Can see him being left out this week by Wigan.

No Obafemi in the Swansea squad. Smallbone starts for Stoke but no Kilkenny in the squad again. O'Dowda makes his return for Cardiff in time for a possible call up. Cullen, Brady, and Parrott all start in the live game but again no Luke McNally to be found in the Burnley squad.

Robinson sets up odowda for Cardiff

2 assists for Robinson now

Great to see him bouncing back. He is far too good for a Steve Bruce team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement