Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He needs an assist soon to get back to "world class".

He'll be tight to make the squad I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone turn over to the Goals Show and see Griezmann get the winner for Atletico in the 10th minute of added time? Grand night for the Simeone family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 1 Results

Group A

AFC Ajax (NED) 4 V 0 Rangers FC (SCO)

SSC Napoli (ITA) 4 V 1 Liverpool FC (ENG)

Group B

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 2 V 1 FC Porto (POR)

Club Brugge (BEL) 1 V 0 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)

Group C

FC Barcelona (ESP) 5 V 1 FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) 0 V 2 FC Bayern München (GER)

Group D

Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) 0 V 3 Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR)

Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) 2 V 0 Olympique de Marseille (FRA)

Group E

FC Salzburg (AUT) 1 V 1 AC Milan (ITA)

GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) 1 V 0 Chelsea FC (ENG)

Group F

Celtic FC (SCO) 0 V 3 Real Madrid CF (ESP)

RB Leipzig (GER) 1 V 4 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)

Group G

Borussia Dortmund (GER) 3 V 0 F.C. Copenhagen (DEN)

Sevilla FC (ESP) 0 V 4 Manchester City FC (ENG)

Group H

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 2 V 1 Juventus (ITA)

SL Benfica (POR) 2 V 0 Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 2

Tuesday 13th September

17:45 Kick-offs

Group C

FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 1

Group D

Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 4

20:00 Kick-offs

Group A

Liverpool FC (ENG) V AFC Ajax (NED) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE Two

Rangers FC (SCO) V SSC Napoli (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 3

Group B

FC Porto (POR) V Club Brugge (BEL) - Live on BT Sport 8

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 7

Group C

FC Bayern München (GER) V FC Barcelona (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 4

Group D

Olympique de Marseille (FRA) V Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) - Live on BT Sport 6

Wednesday 14th September

17:45 Kick-offs

Group E

AC Milan (ITA) V GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) - Live on BT Sport 1

Group F

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V Celtic FC (SCO) - Live on BT Sport 4

20:00 Kick-offs

Group E

Chelsea FC (ENG) V FC Salzburg (AUT) - Live on BT Sport 3

Group F

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V RB Leipzig (GER) - Live on BT Sport 4

Group G

Manchester City FC (ENG) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media Two

F.C. Copenhagen (DEN) V Sevilla FC (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 8

Group H

Juventus (ITA) V SL Benfica (POR) - Live on BT Sport 7

Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - Live on BT Sport 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, Klopp is being forced into playing Milner every game more than choosing so. There's been widespread injuries in the midfield this season.

Thiago only coming back from injury tonight for 25 mins. Arthur's debut and clearly isn't fit. Thiago, Henderson, Keita, Jones, Ox all injured most of this season so far. Fabinho has had a knock and out of form. Carvalho injured tonight and not a midfielder as such. That only leaves teenager Harvey Elliot and Milner who have to play every game.

Milner has been shockingly bad in the games too, except for a cameo against Fulham on the opening day. Can't hack it at the top level anymore as a starter, let alone away against a team at the top end of Serie A. Fabinho & Henderson's form & fitness have not helped either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Yup ,my bad.

Thought they totally fell apart after the Liverpool goal. Several balls from defence just finding Liverpool players.

Settled after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Liverpool are past their peak in this current era, only going one way recently.

I said after the CL FINAL loss that if I was Klopp I'd be thinking about moving on.

I think Liverpool have moved into that phase where the opposition aren't afraid of them any more. They have found out that TAA can't defend and its so obvious how many teams target their left side. Their midfield ain't good enough. They have too many aging players and Salah seems to have downed tools since he got his big pay rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I think saying Salah has downed tools is extremely harsh, he is 30 and has practically played every single league game for the last 7 seasons, averaging close to 50 games a season for 7 seasons and 5 of those for a team that play a high tempo press that requires incredible stamina. He is simply exhausted IMO and the team around him is weaker through injuries, Mane leaving, lack of transfers in and one or two guys being found out.

Salah has created the most chances in the top 5 leagues in Europe this season.

He is not getting the same number of goals, but his role seems to have changed. His positioning certainly has. He is playing far too close to the touchline now, and it looks like it is by design too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He has had goal chances though and fluffed them.Certainly had chances he would have scored a few years ago.

As someone above said he is probably a bit tired as are a lot of the team.

I don't doubt that lot of the team are tired and Salah isn't excluded from that either.

Salah had a mentally exausting 2022 aswell, lost the AFCON Final & WC playoffs final, both to Senegal on penalties iirc. Lost the PL in the last 15 mins, when he had thought his goal had won it. And then lost the CL final. That's mentally fatiguing. I know he won 2 other trophies and was the top scorer and top assister in the PL, winning POTY but it takes a lot out of you. Having to keep going to the well every 3 days. Up against the relentless Man City for a number of years too. Having to constantly dig in, but didn't get the rewards.

It all adds up. When Liverpool started the season with a number of injuries, it might just have been the straw to break the camels back. The club relying on him again. And to be fair, it's not just Salah, the club are relying on the same players to keep going every few days as bodies are thin. Mentally exhausted. A lack of fresh bodies and fresh minds.

Salah's always been a player who gets 4 chances and scores 1 or 2. The team was set up that way. I don't think they are set up that way now. Which is odd. I could see some sense in it when Nunez was starting but they are doing it even while Nunez is not starting, and that's odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

injuries are what are currently killing Liverpool

And also Klopp's loyalty , Likes of Milner, OX ,Keita should have all been show the door in the summer & two replacements brought in ,

Lets not forget with the amount of injures they have had 12 , it even makes it hard to put on decent training sessions

Salah been moved out wider because the plan was for Nunez to use the space left, he hasn't got a run yet for various reasons,

Liverpool WILL get going it just hoping its not to late by the time they do ,

Not sure Milner should ever be shown the door at Liverpool but certainly replaced and explained to that he won't see much game time. He could stay on as mascot/ League Cup captain.

Gary Neville speaks of a moment he knew he just couldn't compete anymore at United , i think it was away to Westbrom , I think Milner may have had one of those moments last night , he just can't do it anymore at that level ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

He should be able to cope in the two games against Rangers, certainly not against Ajax.

What I don't get about Liverpool is that they had a well publicized interest in Tchouameni - understandable as he's brilliant - but when it was clear he was off to Madrid, it was as if they just gave up on signing a midfielder. Did they not have a Plan B, C, D, etc? Buying Arthur appears a panic move since Klopp had ruled out midfield reinforcements when the season started.

Klopp & the board decided they would wait as B & C aren't available right now,

They didn't say that exactly but said that other option's where not available this summer ,

They decided to move for Arthur because Thiago & them Naby got injured when the season began ,

Arthur is someone they have tracked for a long time , they tried to get him before Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Alot of fans seem to have pinned their hat on Bellingham. He's had one decent season but is being painted as some sort of messiah. The likes of Sancho had several strong seasons before leaving BD but according to the same people he was over hyped, over priced etc. Now alot of these comments are fairly accurate based on what hes delivered thus far yet Bellingham is gonna join the league and be a certified monster?

Thiago is a crock, no use being world class when you spend half the season in the sick bed. Robertson, VVD, Henderson, Fabinho, Firmino all look burned out. TAA having to try and defend is now being hugely exposed. Salah looks all at sea.

The problem facing Liverpool is that these players are all on really hefty contracts. We've seen it at United when the big deals are made many players switch off. You end up with a load of lads on huge money that is completely unjustified and they are very hard to shift. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see JK throw in the towel at the end of the season. Unless FSG buck the trend and invest huge money in the squad then its inevitable that they will fall away so rather than blot his copy book by trying to work with a squad of has beens and the occasional new face, he could decide to walk away.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think given their relative performances, milner might have been better at right back and TAA on midfield.

• Advertisement

That lad on the left wing would have had a field day against Milner.

Having said that, he had a field day against taa.

Have heard that they identified Nunes as the alternative option, but wouldn't pay the fee. A difference of around ~€5 was the sticking point apparently. He's gone to Wolves now.

I suspect that the British clubs will be forced to play their games, even through the mourning period. There's no space in the schedule to postpone games before the WC.

They'll have to play the euro games, but I see this week's EPL games are postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Not, they haven't been postponed yet.

It's to be decided.

* Now they have been officially postponed.

Post edited by davemckenna25 on

Marcus Edwards nearly scored the goal of the season for Sporting with a Messi-like run only for Lloris to ruin it by making the save.

Spurs finding it tough. Strange to see the young CB Inacio at RCB when he's left-footed.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

Sporting may have won this. Paulinho with a header from the corner in the 90th minute.

They've certainly won it now. Sub Arthur Gomes with a nice solo goal.

Big win for Sporting.

They are close to guaranteeing EL football after Christmas, at the least. 6 points from 6.

Looks like Xavi is playing Marcos Alonso as a LB against Bayern. Don't see that ending well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A few yobs in the crowd at Anfield.

Lewandowski misses a sitter. This has been a good start from Barca and both sides look capable of winning. Davies giving Raphinha a torrid time down that left side.

Kudos for that finish 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Kenny Cunningham is a bad commentator.

To a certain extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Ajax should keep attacking the Alexander Arnold side....he's defensively poor so they could get more joy down that side...great finish

• Advertisement

Volume on my TV rapidly going down by the second. The Kenny Cunningham effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Officer999

That was a brilliant first half of football entertainment from Bayern and Barca

Lucas Hernandez gives Bayern the lead from a corner. Poor defending by Barca.

Now 2-0 Bayern. Lovely goal from Sane after a good pass from Musiala.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'm turning over to BT Sport. I like Darragh but I can't listen to Kenny.

Pedri hits the post. Finishing letting Barca down so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Unfortunately the alternative is Steve McMenamin, painfully biased and a painful accent.

Sane threw a strop after being subbed and has marched down the tunnel. Bayern 2-0 up with ten minutes to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Nunez misses a sitter after good build up play.

Can't say that is not deserved. The ball finally goes in.

Liverpool miss so many great chances and even when the goal comes it barely goes in.

I'm so sick about people btching about time wasting.

Liverpool players and fans crying knowing full well they will do it too and now here are Ajax crying when it comes to pass.

It's the most pathetically pot kettle thing in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Tons of updates last Wednesday. Not many updates tonight, apart from the Ajax goal. Odd that.

Bayern beat Barca 2-0. Mazraoui defended very well. Goretzka impressive in midfield. Might have been closer had Barca had their shooting boots on.

Ajax got what they deserved. Happy days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But it went in, that's all that matters.

A fully deserved win for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement