Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Remember in primary school your teacher would give you an English paragraph and asked the class to pick out all the mistakes (spelling and grammar) and you get started and get SOOOOOOOOOO excited when you spot some obvious errors - the above is the adult equivalent, but the adult in me can only raise a Guffaw!

0.5/10

I agree, it's very unlikely while Putin is in charge... *waits for the penny to drop in the Kremlin*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Ultimately NATO subjugated and did not hold that country either and spent a lot more resources before timing out. You can't draw too much from that other than the Russian economy in parallel was failing (inherent contradictions of central planned economy) and they needed to reform, plus the mothers of the soldiers being injured and killed were not happy and started writing letters to everyone in the party they could (every letter has to be responded to or the party apparatchik loses promotion in their end of year performance review.).

An important defeat I left out was the 1904-05 Russo-Japanese war, where Japan sunk the Russian navy, that partly spurred the 1905 revolution.

Also, disaffected soldiers returning from a bloody and disgraceful defeat with Japan, who found inadequate factory pay, shortages, and general disarray, organized in protest.

Russian soldiers are not happy with defeat, the nationalists will want to avenge that and organise the economy accordingly, there is no significant political opposition within the Russian federation, though they may sense an opportunity, they always have to compromise with the system.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

a “huge” economy with now smaller exports per month than Ireland despite record hydrocarbon prices

for those who might say “oh look Kiev independent” it references Bloomberg

I posted similar article in Financial Times just yesterday

tl:dr; Russian exports now smaller than Ireland a country with 30x less people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

• Most of that landmass is sparsely populated tundra that the Russians managed to grab because very few people live there. Their population is dwarfed by Western Europe, with most living within the Western population centers
    • The Russian economy was tied into the international supply chain and was driven heavily by the sale of fuel. Both have effectively been denied to them and their actions are driving an earlier adoption of renewable alternatives, so you have the Russians effectively shooting themselves in the foot in the long term. What's more, those resources are worthless unless you can maintain the equipment to extract them, which will get increasingly more difficult for them as time goes on.
    • Supporting Ukraine is likely boosting Biden ahead of the mid-terms and may be helping undo the damage of the Kabul withdrawal. Politically, he will be investing in keeping this going to hopefully an eventual win.
    • Mobilizing a million more poorly trained & armed conscripts and then pouring them into Ukraine would make Pickett's Charge look like a silly playground run-about. Numbers won't help them unless they have a solution for the quality of their armed forces.
    • The T-13 Armata...of which I believe there are / were 12 working examples, of which at least one needed tractor assistance to complete a parade? The tank that now can't be produced in numbers because it needs parts from countries that santion Russian? That T-13 Armata?

The Russians have limited resources, people, money and above all time. They'll run out of one or several of these and will be physically unable to wage any kind of warfare for much longer. That is how the world works.

• Advertisement

Has the presenter, your man, soliwhatsit, becoming less belligerent... possibly the smack on the gob has put manners on him?!

LOVE these vignettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

,🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Another Comedian the gas pipe will be turned on within weeks

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well as example afair "Pa ElGrande" (if I'm not misremembering) used to post alot of climate change "questioning" and give out about the misdeeds of Nasty Greta before interest in Russia and the war in Ukraine. Possibly the filter bubble he's in has done a turn to pushing propaganda messages that are most important to the paymasters/controllers!

They (Russia) have gotten themselves in very serious trouble in Ukraine. I wonder could they give a f-ck right now trying to push the more insidious stuff hard in Western countries which is slow and takes a while to pay off when their army is getting a bad beating, the West continues to support Ukraine and the current sanctions won't end any time soon + will likely harden over time? Needs must when the devil drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sometimes, rather than argue directly against a point you disagree with (aka 'banging your head against a wall'), it can be more effective to take those points and present them as your own in an exaggerated form, in order to highlight the ridiculousness of the counter proposition. There's probably a formal English term for it, but I didn't pay that much attention in class 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Ukrainian economy will be bigger than Russia's, investors will go there

Russia will be a smaller economy it resources paying for it misadventures and sanctioned till it behaves

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Russia wants revenge, they'd be fools to seek it militarily. It's not as if Russia were to retreat from Ukraine that the Ukrainians would high five each other and then sit on their hands until Russia tried to invade again - Ukraine would obviously use that time to complete the modernisation of its military with help from NATO, to build defences against invasion, or possibly even just join NATO altogether. The time to invade Ukraine would have been 2014, when it had little on the military capability it currently enjoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Rawr T-13 Armata.

He means the T14 armata super tank that Russia has been developing for the last 20 + years they built 6 of them before being sent to Syria where one was blown up by a javelin Anti tank missle or similar since then they turn up at Moscow parades been towed around

And they cost a similar amount to the American F35 jet.

The Ukrainans must be quaking at the idea of one of them tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

What do you make of Russias “powerful economy” now exporting less than Ireland?

That Putin fella I hear is a genius who plays 42D chess

Meantime on the military front their all important base in Sevastopol (how this whole thing started in 2014 as Putin got tired of paying peanuts for a lease) is now useless

I can't see Ukraine being able to join NATO not being on the table as Russia slink back behind their borders. Russia has blown its load, it invaded, has been found seriously wanting and is slinking back to their rather stern mammies for their manhood to be berated... how can Russia then squeak, 'but you cannot join NATO'. It'd have as much potency as that guy at the party that inhales helium and then orders everyone to 'calm down'.

Ah my bad, thank you for the correction. But yes, I was referring to that particular Russian marvel of ingenuity :P

The main problem for joining NATO would be if Russia only slinked back behind their pre-2022 de-facto borders, leaving a part of internationally-recognised Ukraine still occupied. However, even if that made it impossible for Ukraine to fully join NATO, I'm sure NATO could create some sort of enhanced cooperation program with Ukraine that would make reinvasion a much hairier prospect for Russia, and it's hairy enough for them, even as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

Also, it does look like they are already underway to converting their forces to NATO tech. Using NATO arms makes it a lot easier to arm Ukraine from Western supplies, than having the rummage for Soviet stuff from old Warsaw Pact counties. That seemed to be the theme part of the earlier of the War, with Eastern NATO countries swapping over their Soviet gear to Ukraine in exchange for upgraded NATO kit.

Ukraine will want to go that way too. Although NATO membership might take a while, the NATO supply chains appear to be readily available to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Talking of rummaging for Soviet stuff, it seems the recently fleeing Russian army left behind stockpiles of munitions and lots of military vehicles. We can be sure they'll be put to good use, if they're any good.

There is that. While Ukraine are still using Soviet weapons & systems, any loot they grab from the Russians that's in good enough condition can just be used by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Putin's confidence must have been incredible, the West had let him off with so much. Imagine, despite the annexation of the Crimea and the Salisbury poisoning, the Russians were still able to host the World Cup in 2018. No wonder he thought there would be zero consequences to the Special Military Operation.

In times of prolonged peace, countries in the relevant region will do almost anything to maintain it and will look the other way on a considerable amount of aggression. Invading Ukraine - a European country - was just too big and disturbing a move to ignore, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Ukraine is a country ruled by kleptocrats since the fall of the Soviet Union. A modern military requires money and resources, are Ukraine's debts going to be written off? Is this the same culture as either Japan or Germany, who adopted substantial reforms and rebuilt after world war II? That kleptocracy is the primary reason they are weak and it pervades the country.

I'll give an example, a Russian I used to work with from Visaginas in Lithuania, his surname indicates Ukrainian heritage. His family moved from the Odessa region during the Soviet era to build and operate the nuclear plant there. They have relatives in Ukraine (Russian speaking & Ukraine nationalist, The mother called them in 2014 to see if they were ok and got an anti-Russian diatribe from their mad uncle), anyway his mother went to visit, she is elderly and has a medical condition that is stabilised with medication. While there, she went to a chemist to get the medication, except they put any old pills in the bottle and she nearly died as a result of not getting the correct medication, she had to be hospitalised. Corruption is endemic. They had the same problem in Russia with fake medication and the government addressed it.

I see Marshal plans being discussed in the context of Ukraine, unless there is a significant mindset change across Ukrainian society, then the kleptocrats benefit, the country remains poor, but this time potentially with an army that has territorial expansion ambitions of its own that goes about antagonising its neighbour.

Crimea was treated as a backwater when Ukraine ran it, the standard of living went up under Russian subsidies, albeit at a cost to the Russian exchequer. Lets suppose that Ukraine takes it, the population is actually mostly Russian. A Ukrainian government is not going to put much resources in there and that in itself is going to create instability or like what happened in Lithuania the Russians migrate abroad to find work.

Defeat of Russia, does not automatically mean Ukraine will become an upstanding member to the EU and net contributor. A more likely scenario is that it is a resource economy that ships raw materials out without adding any value and has to, to pay off its debts. Adding it to the EU, more likely means it has more in common with the Visegrád Group, which changes the dynamics of the EU. Ukrainians entry is not a given certainty, it may still end up as a buffer zone.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

So Ukraine might invade Russian in the future => Ukraine bad?

Russia did invade Crimea, imported more Russians there => Russia good?

What have I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

"And don't forget OUR Islanders and the T-13 Armadas and all those hypersonic missiles that WE can use to level Kiev. The West will be terrified we'll use our nukes and they'll blink."

Our/we???

Come on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd have agreed with all that, before this war. Ukraine was a kip, corrupt, a poor backwater among ex Soviet states, a southern Belarus, run by kleptocrats. However I see this war as changing that in a big way. There was already a push for change post Maidan but it was coming slow. The beady eye of the Western world is now on Ukraine like never before. The support they're getting will drift away like mist on the wind if they don't make clear changes after the guns fall silent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Pretty telling that you ignored the posts that went into detail on your points. I'll quote them in case you missed. Also I'm pretty sure I'm a few months, Russia will be just as isolated globally but enjoy being a propagandist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A Russian position in occupied Azerbaijan was shelled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement