Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Yeah, same here was wondering that. Thanks to OP for posting that info.

I'm in wave 2 myself, going to be my first marathon. Still not quite sure what time I'm going to aim for, will be 3:30 anyway but not sure whether to try to aim much faster, will see how the next few weeks training goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There is no 3:45 or 4:15 pacer. Pace groups are 10 mins apart from 3:00 to 5:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I'm trying to work out the exact location of the waterstops e.g. 6.5k, 10.2k etc. I've seen the PDF from DCM but some of the aid stations are a bit ambiguous. I'd like to make up a pace band bracelet and put in the water stops and when to take a gel. Is this one 9.5k or so?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's as you come out of the park, more like 9.5 miles than 9.5 km though.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Near Donore harriers track by the looks of it. 53.346787898154346, -6.336789305108338

The markers are in miles

• Advertisement

Ha! Miles of course. That would be a bad mistake to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Even if you had the exact location your watch says and what it is will be different.

Just base it on that is just 9.5 miles. As you come out of park you'll see the water station. 15 km marker is near enough the exit of park

Thanks all I was just wondering if there was a list somewhere of the distance locations of the water stops that I wasn't aware of not just the PDF on the DCM website.

I've guessed the following mile locations:

2.6, 4.9, 7.2, 9.5, 11.6, 13, 16.2, 18.5, 21.5, 24.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

If you go with Aqua gels early on you can afford to base gels on an exact time/distance and take in water as you pass it. Majority of distances below have water stations 500m either side.

Gels you'll get from a table from KCR onwards, so you only need to think about first 13m and however many you've trained with for that distance.

3m Stoneybatter

6m Castleknock gate

10m Chapelizod village

13m Crumlin shopping centre

16m KCR crossroads

19m Orwell Park corner

22m Clonskeagh Mosque

24m St Vincent's corner

A quick note on water stations; on my one and only Dublin Marathon in 2019 the last two water stations didn't have water. I finished in 4 hours so I guess a few thousand runners had passed the stations prior and as it was the last section everyone was parched and the water stations had been emptied.

Back then I carried a bottle in my pocket for backup as I hadn't built up the physiological adaptions from extra mileage/training to allow me to run long without water. It would have been very annoying and stressful to get to mile 20 and up to 26 without any water stations.

• Advertisement

Off hand there is at least 3 stops for liquid from 20 miles?

The route map is gone off the site. Something changing or just having got the Irish Life logos on it?

Found it but not on home page

Thanks RR, I'm planning on taking my own 6 Maurten gels and using water from the course. Thanks for those mile markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MZ22

Hi, first timer with 2 quick q's for non-newbies!

Does everyone have to be there at 8.45am regardless of wave? I'm in 4 so prob starting closer to 10am?

Do people use hydration vests/water bladders or is that overkill? Going between Tailwind and gels, can't make up my mind which will be easier to manage on the day. If they run out of water on the course, as I've heard, it ruins the gels plan.

Thanks 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Not sure about the time question but yes people use hydration bladders. It’s my 8th marathon … I think … but I’m going with Tailwind this year for the first time. Easier to have it made up than trying to do it enroute so I’m going to carry 2 x 500ml soft flasks on my front and have a spare gel or two just in case too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Running my first marathon in next month.

flying in on October 27th and leaving again the 31st.

I'm just not 100% sure about wich hotel to book. Hotels in the city centre are about 1000€, wich is way to expensive.

Currently I'm looking at the Plaza and Maldron in Tallaght. From there I can take the 7am Luas to the start.

Are those good options? any other budget friendly recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I'm from Tallaght & they are 2 decent enough hotels for what you pay. The Plaza has only recently been reopened & done up so I've heard it's quite nice. As for getting to the Luas both of them are perfect location wise, you would be getting on at the 1st stop which is the square Tallaght so that's good too. The Glaushouse is supposed to be ok too & this is literally beside the luas track. Best of luck getting somewhere, I think its gone ridiculous the price of accommodation!

Also try Clayton in leopardstown as it's on the green Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

If you are talking budget, try a few hostels. Try airbnb either

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Well, to be clear, a few people may use hydration bladder, most people don't. I personally wouldn't dream of it. You may wish to of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The good thing about dublin marathon is time of year it is on. It wont be hot which means hydration is not a huge issue. Some marathons are on in summer where hydration is much more important. Some people run dublin without taking on any water or food so dont panic too much about where you grab a bottle. Just be nice and relaxed and tell yourself what ever you do on the day is right. This will help you relax which helps you breath better which is hugely important. I think some newbies may over think it a bit on where they take water on. Just relax and breathe is my number one advice for dublin. Dont worry if you miss one water stop. The worrying will do more damage to your run than missing the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

solid advice about worrying however i would suggest trying to take on water (small sips) at any opportunity, the last 10k is when you will get most benefit for a solid fueling and hydration strategy in the preceding 32km

itll be graaaand :)

I would suggest people who like to pick up at every water stop is start with a bottle so you can avoid the first one at the turn for manor street

Anybody been able to source and test these enervit gels?

Can't seem to find anyone that has them in stock, why change to a company who have no market presence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Felexicon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Not Hi5?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

+1

Definitely avoid the first water stop in any mass marathon. Any tiny benefits you may possibly get from the sip of water are far outweighed by the risk of being tripped up, falling on a bottle or just the general stress of trying to grab a bottle.

If the water is on just one side of the road then spot that early and stick to the opposite side whilst everyone else fights for a bottle. If it's on both sides of the road then stick to the center line and run through the parting waves of runners moving to each side of you.

The first water station is just a place to get injured and stressed. Avoid.

• Advertisement

How many people on boards run marathons without fuel and hydration? I'm not doubting your point or that's its not been done but I've not seen a single post over the years from someone claiming to run/race DCM without taking on water or fuel.

If it's as common and recommended as you seem to be implying I would've thought there would be a thread.

Advertisement