Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Why would anyone use Ionity on a regular basis? And anyone that does surely has either the Ionity Passport or a better deal from their manufacturer anyway which halves the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You are of course correct, but that really doesnt make a very good headline to confirm the ICE bias now does it. You will never get a job for the sun with that kind of nuisanced thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I found Hertz has a dedicated page for electric car rental although very little results with EVs on my searches. Found an EQB in Dublin with them if anyone is interested, no price you have to call to book. Nice to see clear T&C, specially for electric rental (i.e. return at 75% or higher)

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/rental-car-deals/electric-car-rentals

Anyway I got a Polestar 2 or similar for CGN with Europcar and now I'm like a child counting the days. I hope they will not give me a Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Seriously, this is so true. I've just returned from being abroad with a 500km+ roundtrip in a rental petrol car (Peugeot 2008) and I missed the simplicity of the BEV - smooth drive, instant acceleration, no engine noise.

Although, Peugeot probably deserve an honourable mention for making a petrol car feel, sound and rattle like an old diesel engine (and to combine this with no acceleration to speak of, even in 'sport' mode).

I was delighted to get back into my car at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That's one reason why I want to drive to holiday destinations rather than fly. I don't want to have to get a crappy ICE for a rental and EV rentals are outregeously expensive. Yes cruising around the Alps in a Tesla is awesome but I'd rather spend my holiday cash on fun activities, like being p!ss drunk at 11am 😂

Also I shudder to think of what condition the clutch will be in if I ever get a manual gearbox for a rental

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

If you thought Ionity was expensive 😱

I wonder will we see another price hike here soon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was in Lithuania last October in a brand new Toyota Corolla sh1tbox... all 'sport' mode did was turn the dials from blue to red...... it was fcuking horrendous.

This summer we went in our Model 3 and it was absolutely glorious...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Very interesting video from Fully Charged. Showing off crazy charging speeds and speaks of even faster already in the works.

AionY looks like a great small car.

Toyota, proof they you can put a price on sadness

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, I almost count it as a downside of my EV. I travel a fair bit with rental cars, and each time it's an awful driving experience now. It constantly feels like the car is missing a beat. When in reality, its shiny new but its just an ICE !

I used to love trying out all sorts of weird and wonderful cars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Each to their own and I suppose this is an EV forum after all. Personally, and I'm an old git so set in my ways, but I still get a lot of enjoyment from driving different types of cars. Drive an EV and yes it's easy, just point and squirt, but to me it gets monotonous after a while to the point that I have to stab at the accelerator every now and again to get some reaction from it.

Still really enjoy driving a manual, much better connection with the car, especially on good national/ rural roads. Nowadays people like their comforts and having it easy so there's no doubt EVs are a good fit. My wife loves the Ev but then again she dislikes driving and just wants to get from a to b with the least possible hassle and driver input. Ideal scenario is to have an EV and manual ice so can continue to enjoy having to drive a car rather than the car doing most of the enjoyable elements of the experience. Problem is the price of experiencing that enjoyment is becoming prohibitive, as is the case with most good things in life.

Don't get me wrong, I love to drive a nice ICE too... I still have my 3 Series e90 M-Sport, and I love driving it.....

The issue I had in the Corolla was it was painfully slow, especially when needing to overtake, which you do a lot of in Lithuania....

I spent more time red lining it than I did with it just ticking over at lights!! It just had nothing under the bonnet!! I'm guessing a 3 pot 1l engine...

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

A similar story happened to my mum, uncle & aunt when they went to Cornwall last year. They had to fly to Exeter or somewhere and rent a car, ended up getting a Yaris hybrid

If you've been to Cornwall you'll probably know that it's pretty hilly, lots of fairly steep climbs and descents on the A30. The poor car was steadily losing power on one of the steeper climbs and was struggling to figure out what gear it should have been in. They thought it was going to give up around 2 thirds of the way up

Then a few weeks ago I drove the same road in the ID.4 and had a massive grin on my face the whole time.

Great bit of road to be driving on when you've a car with some power.

Absolutely, nothing worse than an underpowered car irrespective of the form of propulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Now that you say it, my primary underwhelming experience was also a Toyota - a CHR PHEV (0% SOC obviously) rented in gothenburg. No hills, no real overtaking on the wrong side of the road...but lots of merging and it just felt sh1t.

So maybe rental companies just love an underpowered Toyota!

I used to fly to the U.K. 20-30 times a year up until a few years ago, and as such, was in Hertz Presidents Circle for years, and all I ever had to do was book the cheapest Auto they had on their website (usually a Focus Auto or something), and 99 times out of 100 I was always guaranteed to get a Mercedes E-Class AMG, or god forbid a C-Class AMG!!!, or random Audi's/Volvo's/BMW's.... but always nice cars.

Except for the few odd times my trips would coincide with some big event happening locally, and all the high rollers would have the Merc's booked out, and I'd end up in a sh1tbox!!! 1 time I had one of those CHR's (non hybrid) which were only new at the time, and it was utterly horrible, and with that same 1l Toyota petrol 3 pot engine that just had no power!!! It's only redeeming feature was it had adaptive cruise control, which up to that point I'd only ever experienced in a Volvo XC90!

Speaking of power, the spinny thing now go spinny faster

It's kinda buried in the article, but it seems to mean you can get the same power from a much samller motor, saving weight and materials

So pretty soon you might have an EV motor that fits into a backpack instead of a duffle bag

Or, taken the other direction, from the same size motor you can get MOAR POWER!!!!

Those Cornish hills won't know what hit them 😂

I would think that for the masses the focus in future will be to try and produce lighter EVs which will require smaller batteries to give a decent range. The current preoccupation with dumping bigger batteries into increasingly bloated EVs can't go on if we are serious about EVs replacing ICEs ASAP. The alternative is to reduce power output like what happened in the US during the 70s oil crisis. The former would certainly be more desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's more complicated than that. Compare these two: Huge weight and power difference, the latter having 3x the battery capacity and probably 7 times the power yet their consumption figures are almost identical.

Car 1: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/40769.shtml

Car 2: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=45015

The conventional wisdom about power and weight vs. efficiency does not really apply to BEVs. In our household the 24 kWh LEAF had pretty much identical efficiency to our current 75 kWh car.

• Advertisement

I think it'll be a bit of both tbh. There's still an obsession with big and powerful cars, just look at sales stats where CUVs and SUVs are always on top

I even heard in the US that SUV and pickup truck sales are up despite the (supposedly) high gas prices over there

But I think a lighter motor, and lighter batteries, will also enable smaller EVs to have more range and hopefully become more affordable. So we might finally start seeing Polo and Up sized EVs with maybe 200km range for under €25k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Charging at my local circle k. Had to wait on a taxi finishing. Literally got the charger and another taxi pulled in (grey Id4). About a minute later another (so I thought) grey Id4 pulls in the other side. I barely glanced up. It was only when he slowly pulled out again I realised it was the Nissan Ariya. Nice motor alright but at a glance it looks incredibly like the Id4.

You mean the Peugeot 3008 right? 😉

Seriously, all cars look the same now. Car design has to be the easiest job ever, just rip off the competition's ideas

Yes but the Leaf is old tech and very inefficient, especially at any reasonable speed. While increased weigh might have a lessor impact on efficiency compared to an ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Indeed and the reason is the regenerative braking. The heavier the car more energy is needed to accelerate but likewise you get more energy back on deceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Efficiency is going to be increasingly vital as we look to manage our energy supply.

Consider the different between an Audi full size Etron and a Hyundai classic Ioniq.

On one individual car of each its not a big deal.

It does however become a big deal if applied across the whole vehicle fleet across the world or even just Ireland.

The same thing will (is) happen (ing) with EV’s as is the case with ICE’s….

There will be economical cars, and there will be guzzlers…

The problem is the majority of EV’s available as of today are guzzlers…. And they’ll always be guzzlers….. so it’s going to take an awful long time for eco EV’s to take hold as first, they need to be available & affordable and even then it will take years for them to filter down to the used car market…

The grant doesn't help as it incentives people to buy bigger and more expensive cars.

If the grant was capped or tapered at say €40k, there would be a greater demand for and subsequent supply of smaller more efficient EVs. Amazing how the demand for EVs hasn't collapsed in the UK since the grant was significantly reduced.

Another win for the EVs

I'd recommend clicking through to the press release, there's a lot more info. For some reason I can't paste the link myself

• Advertisement

Points for actually doing some analysis, but it's a bit silly that they automatically chose the most expensive charging network. I've known people who would drive 30 mins to save 5c/l on petrol (I was one!) so I imagine that folks living off of public charging would do the same

However, the article made me think of an interesting point. In these days of high fuel prices we're seeing governments slashing taxes on fuel in an effort to drive down the price at the pumps

And that's fair enough IMO. Don't like to encourage fossil fuel use but it's a bit counterproductive if a significant portion of the population can't afford to go anywhere and are at the mercy of Ireland's miserable public transport system

But what are they doing to drive down public charging costs? For example is some of that windfall tax that the government is getting from ESB group going to be sent towards charging providers to lower their grid costs?

The cynic might point out that EV drivers are only a small portion of the population, and are often on higher incomes so can just suck it up

However in equal measure there's lads going out in big gas guzzling SUVs who are enjoying tax breaks on filling up their cars, so it seems like measures aren't being applied equally

Again, I'm not saying that government shouldn't be helping, but where the help for EV drivers?

Advertisement