Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Where could they be targeted?

Route is likely NK - China - Russia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It is likely to go via train to China and then on to Russia; not really any suitable points of attack for that (besides I'd have some questions on the quality of the weapons & ammunition in the first place).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would presume that if true, the Russians don't really care. What can the West do: put sanctions on Russia lol? Heck there was talk of Russia simply taking all the leased passenger jets currently grounded 'cos of international travel bans - as yet again, what can the international community do?

Anyway, this the same North Korea that (apparently) still uses 1950s submarines? Can't imagine the quality of weaponry Russia are looking at be much to strike fear in the hearts of its enemies. Speaks to a desperate situation that it's having to buy off NK of all places. In fact, is it likely Russia might be buying ammunition for Soviet knock-offs?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats exactly what it is.

We aren't talking about ships and planes, just bullets, shells and rockets, all of which in China and North Korea come from Soviet era specifications anyway.

Won't make any difference though, if the lads supposed to be tossing them are running in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I wonder could buying from NK just be a front for China to supply Russia but keep its hands clean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Don't know, maybe some country can seize them if it's going by ship (given NK is basically a global pariah state whose trade is supposed to be totally restricted as far as I understand, even if China help it get around this)?

I am sceptical/cynical of these supposed/rumoured arms deliveries coming from likes of NK or Iran and am wondering is it a way for China to help resupply Russia a little by the back door (obviously it won't be as efficient and effective as China just doing it openly but still...).

I wonder are the events in Ukraine going to be concerning for Xi/CCP and maybe they will blow their cover more + "come out" a little further as open military enemies of the US/EU/West. Try to save the bacon of the "no limits" genocide-buddy/partner in Ukraine. Something that should be watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Why would they waste time and effort trying to get them enroute? Wait and the Russians will bring them right to within Himar / other range. They will make a nice juicy target, and what a bang they will make when they are blown up!!☺️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first loyalist speaks out against the current course of the invasion. The Chechen Barbarian in Chief Kadyrov not quite slamming Putin but also not staying diplomatic either. The first signs of discontent among the brass? I suspect Kadyrov is ultimately a fringe figure among Russian hierarchies, but where there's one dissenting voice, more will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭amandstu

Every one that causes damage to the Ukrainian civilians or military personnel is a shame on us all. (even the Russian casualties should be deplored insofar as they could be avoided)

Ukraine should have better things on its agenda than repulsing the mad crimes of its neighbours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Here's a thread with pictures of some of the equipment left behind in one of multiple local and regional depots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes it's a shame all right, and for sure, the world would be in a much better place, if Ukraine could live a normal life, that would be great!!! But when it comes to shame, all of that belongs on Russia. And I hope that future generations of Russians will indeed feel so ashamed of what they have done, that they will be unable to face the international community.

Shades of Dunkirk with the equipment just abandoned. Assuming the equipment is still functional, that's some accidental boon for the Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It was said on a report that several were working and some were easily repairable.

File this with heavy mounds of salt: Ukraine officials are claiming russian bigwigs and their families are quietly evacuating Crimea. Maybe it's some psy-ops to sew doubt and panic in the region, because I'd have presumed that was the prize the Russians had locked down every inch.

I wouldn't be surprised. When the Ukrainians hit the airport there a while ago many Russians left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Personally I think the EU and us as a part of the EU need to suck up all the pain it is causing and will continue to cause to ensure a Ukranian victory and a vastly diminished Russia.

It will hurt our wallets and cause us economic pain, but it is a price we have to accept to pay.

Slava Ukraine

Saw a Russian video and! some comments !about the latest defeats. One said that the Ukrainians were 'cheating'! Do they have to tell them all their plans in advance?

One Russian presenter said that you can never defeat a nuclear power! Afganistan? Viet Cong?

Their last resort may be tactical nukes, but I think then NATO would have to act. No nuke has been dropped in anger in 73 years

Good twitter follow to see Russian media attitude changes

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews

The problem with "tactical" nukes is the same as strategic nukes; they only work against static defenses / locations and if there are static defenses then Russia can simply use ordinary artillery to blow it up in the first place. In short there's nothing to gain with their use against a force such as Ukraine short of going after a city to salt the land and at that point you'd need to figure out if a) your nukes actually works (rumours that over 90% of the nukes are not functional due to funding siphoned away by the commanders), b) delivery system that actually works and don't trigger Nato (i.e. can you really get a relevant bomb plane there easily let alone talking ICBMs) and c) actually go through with it knowing the fall out (pun intended) from said action for your country. Hence the normal bombing of electrical key points but I don't see where nukes would really make an actual practical difference short of Mad Ivan approach to warfare ("We're crazy, we'll bomb anything!").

• Advertisement

I agree with you, but Putin is in a box, what does he do, he can't mobilize as his failing economy will collapse, Ukraine has 16 Himars, as a NATO comparison, Romania has 60. He doesn't have enough troops, his supply lines are being severed, he is not a man to back down. It's clear Ukraine will deal with all hardships, so what options does he have?

And his mad TV folksnarw advocating tactical nukes to sober up the Ukranian resistance.

Amd while a tactical nuke may notvrurn the tide if the war, it would certainly be a devastating psychological and ecological impact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I suspect NATO are ready to intervene - they are waiting for justification. Use of any nuclear weapon or nuclear 'accident' would be that justification.

They currently are supplying advanced weapons to Ukraine that are better than the Russian equivalent, and possibly the Russians are running short of their top technology stuff. NATO are supplying very good intel to Ukraine which is proving to be invaluable to Ukraine. The Ukrainian troops are being trained in NATO countries, while Russia are using untrained conscripts equipped with running shoes.

Now does Putin go all-in or does he get the knifed from behind? What happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Is Putin's demand to use nukes enough or is there a process?

Putin gives the order, it goes through a chain and anyone in that chain could refuse.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Wasn't there the famous case of the Russian officer that refused what appeared to be a valid order back in the day (it wasn't it was a mistake) and his refusal meant we are all still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Look up operation Autumn forge and Able Archer in the early 80s is where things almost set off MAD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I know that there was a case where a Russian guy operating some kind of tracking instrument was told by the machine that a nuclear attack was occurring. By rights he should have sent the message up the chain but he hesitated because he knew what that could likely lead to and he thought that it may have been a false positive. As it turned out it was - the instrument was defective.

That was different. He didn't receive a direct order from a superior. Instead he chose to ignore what was an error with an early warning system basically the satellite system misidentified high altitude clouds as being incoming missiles but the officer who ignored the warning ignored it because it was only a few missiles the system detected when he reckoned in reality if you were going to launch a first of strike you would send hundreds of missiles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Advertisement

Yes, that is the guy. Good thing he decided to ignore the system error, although it is likely that once given the information about the incoming missiles, he's superiors would have made the same decision that the amount of incoming missiles was too small to be a real strike by America.

Fortunately, after this they developed a system known as perimeter or dead hand and ensures that even if they command centres are taken out, Russia can still respond with a nuclear strike.

Advertisement