Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Is that an example of corruption? Is someone siphoning off a percentage of that money?. I have read a handwritten letter from an soldier stuck in the trenches of WW I to his wife in Limerick requesting she send clean underwear and socks. He also describes the conditions of the trenches, the mud, the noise, the death and destruction and the fear. It affected her and she stopped writing to him. His last letter to her asks why she no longer writes to him? Two weeks later he was dead. She kept the letters and passed them down to her son. The last time the son say his father was when the fire brigade, did a drive through Limerick looking for volunteers to sign up in 2014, easy money, home by Christmas they said . . he survived 2 years.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Depends on your definition of "before this war". Ukraine were making steps to address this already in 2014 - which is largely why this whole mess started.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Imagine how much it would boil our blood if the UK invaded the Republic of Ireland at some point in the future and you had commentators in other parts of the world going, "Well, they speak the same language, have a shared history, and didn't I see some people from that island waving a Union Jack on TV a few times? Obviously there is some justification for this invasion..."

The history between Ukraine and Russia has certainly not always been rosy, and indeed, they have their own famine memories in even more recent history than ours and more of a case to say it was a deliberate genocide by the Soviet regime of the time, perhaps. So, the idea that Ukraine's latter day moves to distance itself from Russia are nothing more than a result of western meddling would be to ignore the history between the countries in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There fauqed so ,

Being Ukraine is reducing the army to bare minimum levels of operational usefulness,he might have to send his troops in Belarus instead,

Which leaves Belarus to open to several situations that could favor the Ukrainans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's hilarious. I saw a pro-Russian YouTuber talk for 15 minutes about this a few weeks ago. They were spinning it as a plot hatched by MI6 to send Ukrainian commandos across the Dniepr to try and seize the nuclear power plant. He claimed that they had killed 65 of them. I remember thinking it was fishy since the only people reporting it were pro-Russian twitter accounts and there was no evidence of any bodies or anything like that.

Remember it was only recently reported that the Russians stopped an attack on the plants front gate when IAEA inspectors were there.....

Still no evidence presented on here to prove it ever happened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

You are avoiding the question. Putin did not suddenly have a fight with his mistress one morning, take his anger out by kicking the dog and deciding that day was a good day to invade another country. He and the people around him have a history of interfering in the affairs of "near Russia", and did signal their intentions over the course of his reign. There was a build up to this over two decades.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Or so he claims. I have issues with a couple points he makes. No one is claiming that one nuclear weapon detonated would result in the end of humanity - they are worried about one launch starting a nuclear war with hundreds of warheads being launched. And nuclear weapons absolutely are not essentially incendiary devices.

• Advertisement

Explain how this could have been prevented in your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Armenia are about to find out just how reliable their Russian defence pact is.

I would feel a good deal of sympathy towards Armenia, given that they've had to endure a lot of pain from the Ottoman Empire and which segues into the modern day of Turkey backing Azerbaijan against them, but Armenia really have the wrong ally in Russia. Unfortunately for them, their geographical position doesn't offer a whole lot of other options on who to buddy up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

For those who are interested in a deeper dive into the nuclear issue, I recommend checking out a YouTube channel called Nuclear Vault. They have a plethora of old US military and Atomic Energy Commission films about the nuclear surface tests of the 1950s and 1960s. These films have admittedly been screened and sanitized to keep classified material, well, classified, but they are still extremely interesting for anyone who's interested in the effects of these weapons.

The channel also has a four-part, four hour long documentary made by Sandia Labs about the development of US Nuclear Policy. It's biased, obviously, but still very interesting. I binge-watched the entire channel when the whole Ukraine thing kicked off, right before my mental health took a nose-dive...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

I wouldn’t be so fast to jump to any side here, it’s complicated

That peace of dirt in Nagorno Karabach they are fighting over was seized by Armenia in a Crimean style invasion back around time USSR collapsed resulting in long war. Not that Azerbaijan is shining beacon of democracy either but they could make a case for retaking what was theirs like Ukraine can with Crimea.

I am more interested in what Russia does if anything

On the whole bomb (why me ) @thomil in the late 70's /early 80s SR 71 pilots were reporting what look like black worms or similar crawling up the windscreens during high-speed high altitude runs , convinced that there was some kind of species living in atmosphere, until scientists took samples off the windshields and didn't find a new species it was infact radioactive isotopes and debris from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs, still in the atmosphere..

That's my little addition to the bomb chat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All your bomb are belong to us

All Eyes On Rafah

They must be one of the most unfortunately placed country on earth in terms of geopolitics. They are a small, mountainous country whose two largest borders are closed for reasons of a past genocide and an ongoing conflict. They don't appear to have any natural energy resources whereas their chief antagonist is swimming in hydrocarbons - which it can use to buy more and more modern weaponry with which to fight them with.

If Russia doesn't come to their rescue they look to be in serious trouble right now.

Not really taking sides in the dispute over Nagorno Karabakh, which I know nothing about. More saying that I feel a good amount of sympathy toward the country due to its historic treatment at the hands of Turkey/the Ottomans, and just trying to reconcile that with its current alliance with Russia, despite how Russia is behaving in Ukraine. But Russia the only big neighbour in the region who it could realistically ally with, even though I share the suspicion that Russia will not break its back trying to beat back the Azeris.

• Advertisement

From a chair! 😂

Apologies, I'm a bit behind and this has possibly been pointed out 😝

EDIT - and if not, SHAME ON YE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A guarantee that doesn't extend to the provision of troops or aircraft or no fly zones, I'll wager. So long as only Ukrainians are dying and suffering. Better than nothing but not a hard deterrent to the likes of the little sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just because someone says they 'have 30 years worth of experience' studying nuclear weapons on Quora does not mean it to be fact. He's really really downplaying nuclear arms to a bizarre level.

To go Nukemap

Select Kiev as the target.

Detonate a 100Kt device and see how much of Kiev it fills.

Now that's a fairly low yield nuclear device compared to some of the bigger ones out there, its 5 times the size of the Nagasaki bomb (which was 20Kt) but you have bombs like the US's W-53 ICBM at 9Mt - or in other words, 9000Kt.

But still, at the lower end of the scale, that is huge. Now also keep in mind that ICBMs carry multiple reentry devices, which would be multiple detonations per ICBM. There would then be multiple ICBMs.

Yes, Ukraine is huge as a country, but when you launch nuclear attacks, you don't blast every single part of a country. You blast it's cities and you'd fire multiple ICBMs at each one which could have multiple reentry devices in each ICBM.

Now the state of Russia's nuclear arsenal is another question entirely and I would imagine it is in a huge state of disrepair with a large percentage of it not functioning - however, that post is almost calling into question the destructive power of an actual functioning nuclear arsenal which I find odd.

And that's before you even start to talk about radioactive fallout and the implications of that.

You do realise this story is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more relevant to Russian soldiers, hmmmm? And 2014 really messes up your history lesson. But, cool story, bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Air defense is active in Kerch, occupied Crimea

its going to be a miracle if that bridge lasts the war

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That may well be the case but what if the neighbouring states in 'Near Russia' don't want to be interfered with. Suppose they wish to run their own affairs.

France wouldn't put with say Germany interfering in their affairs and telling what they can do. We wouldn't take kindly if the UK routinely interfered in our affairs, would we?

Russia still have delusions of empire and being the head honcho in the USSR etc. That ship has sailed as far as Ukraine goes, whatever about Belarus etc.

HIMARs likely won't cut it with that bridge. It's quite large. They're going to need to hit it with something with a much larger payload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

#RUSSIA 🇷🇺 INFO ALERT: Numerous local testimonies

confirm a massive counter-attack by Russian missiles on

#OTAN #Kyiv military positions throughout the #Ukraine including

#Zaporizhzhia, #odessa, #Kharkiv, #Krivoy Rog, #Vilkul...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

There must have been a few childrens hospitals or old folks homes left standing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement