Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report Landlord/House Not Registered

Options
  • 14-09-2022 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before,

The property next to mine (terraced house) is being rented out for cash and I'm sure the landlord isn't registered,so my question is

1)How can I check if a property is registered with the RTB? (To be 100% sure)

2) More importantly how do I report him.

Note,I know a property can be registered and the landlord can still do it all above board with cash,this isn't the case here I believe from talking to a few tenants.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies and knows the procedure here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

Very easy to check if it's registered, I just did and of course it isn't registered.

Also easy to report and just involves filling out a form.

I've done all that now,I'd be interested to know of what happens next or from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

The RTB registry is not always updated so can sometimes be hard to find a registered property.

Thanks for reply.

This house has been rented over a period of more than two decades at this stage 100s people.If its registered then fair enough but everything points to it not being including me chatting to various tenants over the years.

The landlord is dodge on several different fronts.

I've reported it now so hopefully something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The RTB registry is indeed not always updated, and the site as of now is an utter disaster (everyone gets charged a fine which will be refunded, as is the RTB itself). Older landlords can be cash only as that's how they always did things, and banks nowadays can be hard for older people. If they don't report their earning accurately, they paint a target on their backs as Revenue prefer smaller targets like them, not NAMA builder moghuls.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Why do you want to report them?

Being an informer is not something that will reflect well on you in your circle. If you come known to be an informer, you won't trusted by anyone in the local community.

Also bear in mind that every action has a reaction. If you inform on your neighbouring landlord, you never know, some day you might have a planning application for changes or want to sell your house. The person you informed on might seek revenge and object to planning or try to cause hassle in your sale plans.

If the tenants have a problem with the landlord, let them take it up with the RTB.

This is none of your business, so if I were you i'd keep my nose out of it.

• Advertisement

I'm reporting him because he is a Kùnt.

He's dumped anti social tenants in beside me for years,when he has the pick of tenants like he does now he's instead decided to rent it to a group of Albanian criminals who drink all day and night with loud music keeping kids up,they've managed to fill the garden with refuse aswell and the council (not for the first time) are going to have to intervene.

Any of the tenants that were sound he treated like crap.

I've tried every approach and now I've had enough.

He's evading tax and in "my cirlces" that's a bigger crime than pointing this out to the relevant authorities. I don't know where you're going with your informer angle either,we're not in a fùcking prison gang.Just for clarity my name and address are on the form and I ticked the box that I'd happily testify if it went to court

If you think fùckers like this lad should coast through life causing grief for everyone with no consequences then that's your own problem I personally think it's a bit of a cowardly stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Did you try having a quiet word with the tenants?

Tried a quite word and then had to get thick aswell,it's a familiar dance for us with the various tenants down the years.Dont go in angry at the start because they might be sound and also you have room to escalate if needs be.

The guy seems to go out of his way to get trouble makers,once or twice I can understand but it's maybe 8 out of 10 are causing major issues.Theres 3 properties in my town on Daft,he could easily have a decent family or working couple/group there,it's a 4 bed house and in a good area.However,once again he has given a big fùck you to anybody within 100m of this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Did you open a third party dispute with the RTB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Are the tenant's complaining or being exploited? Your actions may just result in some of them being made homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I wouldn’t worry about them being made homeless, they are badly behaved. But I would worry about their behaviour escalating when both figure out what the guy next door did. I have far more sympathy for the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Perhaps it is let to social tenants through the Council.

If he is in the RAS scheme with the Council then he wont be on the RTB register.

Nope.

Tenants usually last less than 6 months,not a pattern you see with social housing.We also have social housing in our estate and there's no problem there.

I know rooms are being rented on a room per room basis at the moment too.I know this because I called in there recently to tell them their refuse pile in the garden was overflowing into my garden.Instead of the face tattooed Albanian thug who had answered previously a frazzled looking Irish guy came to the door.I explained the situation (it didn't really need explaining) and he apologised and said he'd only been there two days and got the room from an ad online.He said obviously he didn't know the full story and wouldn't have went near the place if he did.I got his number and sent him the number of a friend who rents a room which is in the process of moving to.

As an update the RTB rang me this morning (I'd left voicemail aswell as enforcement referral form) I found that fairly efficient for a government body.

Let's hope so and then the house can go to one of the many families looking for a house who also contribute to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

The RTB are fcuking useless, even when they take a case, A 3rd party dispute should be the way to go, BUT if the landlord isn't registered and therefore has not provided details, the RTB will say, "we dont have their details cant do anything" even if they do have an address, if the landlord fails to respond, they can say "the landlord did not reply" and refuse to take a 3rd party case against them. That alone makes me think the rtb are bordering on useless, because they will try fob you off. Record all calls (if only for your own record to write down later) with them but dont highlight that, ie use a second phone or a dictaphone.

Although I have had taken 2 cases to the rtb, from my experience, the rtb barely want to be involved even when it gets to that stage and can be partial towards tenants. OP I suggest you gather evidence, make a log of events in writing, take some photographic evidence, (cross reference both, ie if there was noise at a set time, discreetly take a picture of what cars were there), on that point record car details and reg/number of vehicles, keep doorbell footage (less in someones face and obvious than an actual security camera as lots of people have them), Ring makes you pay to keep records, but it's not much and well worth it imo.

Record noise, but note phones are not great at recording noise in my experience, due to signal noise in the mic, phones just arent up to scratch for a lot of recording, they just do the basics. Personally I wouldnt go out of my way to report someone if the tenants were reasonable, but once I read they aren't reasonable, then I'd go all out. The rtb register can be slightly out of date, but its a good start,and a lot of the time it is updated and accurate, limit your search terms, ie dont put too many in or be too specific, because some people record their property details woefully inaccurately, not sure if that is because they dont care, trying to hide something or just thick. Address may be slightly off, search under different stuff seperately, ie for street name and see what turns up, without including the actual house number. I'd also suggest looking up the landregistry to see who the owner is, that will provide you their name at least.

Can you really get the name of a landlord by looking up the land registry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

You can get the name of the current property owner, who would be the de facto landlord even if they use an agent to manage their rental property. You'd have to pay a few euro for a copy of the folio, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It has to be a registered property in the first place for that to happen. Not all properties are registered. Even if it is registered all it will say is Joe Bloggs of "the same address as the property" is full owner. If Joe Bloggs is a common name there won't be much chance of catching him.

Interesting, thanks for the info,I will definitely look into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

As properties change over to land registry, it will be possible to find out the owners name (of any property registered with landregistry), I didnt say landlord though, I said owner, but typically that would be the same, it may assist in gathering information, because you can request details also from RTB and if they supply details, then cross reference, such a request has to be formal, ie you provide your details and address, they may not give details if you aren't near or for some other reasons unknown to me, I think if you are next door or nearby they may.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Revenue will have a keen interest. Might be worthwhile giving them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would say the sentiment you display here is the reason some people think they can do what they want with no consequences. Thats not how it works

A person next door to a rented propery has every right to report anything they they feel is worth reporting. It's up to the relevant authorities to decide what to do with that information. I would commend them for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is it not that all tenancies have to be registered with RTB, including RAS? To claim mortgage interest Revenue insist the tenancy is registered with RTB. Revenue don't care if its private or social letting, just that it's registered.

Haven't called them yet but also have the Environment Enforcement Officer on the case aswell as they are dumping refuse,I'm in official email contact and have a case number.It helps that's they are a friend of a friend but i have to say all government agencies are impressing me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Revenue are the ones with the real power and enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

An informer 🤣🤣 won’t be trusted in the local community 🤣🤣

one step short of “sNiTChEs gEt StiTcHeS” 🥴

Wind yer neck in ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Lots of assumptions here. You in fact know nothing about this landlord but want cause him trouble because you dont like his tenants. The landlord you are saying is responsible for his tenants behaviour and thats another matter.

Advertisement