Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

True, you need an inverter to match and that would add a few thousand

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Has anyone ever heard of something like an MHRV that can recover heat as hot water?

I remember a while back that I read an article about a hot water cylinder with a built in ASHP. The idea was it used warm air in the attic to heat the water

The article was from California and I'm guessing it works better there given the states highly enthusiastic attitude towards summer

Saw another one in the UK which looked similar but used outdoor air ducts and was targeted towards apartments

But it would be pretty cool if you could scavenge the heat given off by some household appliances a bit better.

Cookers, ovens, dryers all give off waste heat, plus any electronics. Not to mention those newfangled hybrid inverter and battery systems that some people are getting 😁

I guess the idea with an MHRV is that it evenly distributes the waste heat around the house so it's put to better use. But that's not always the best idea if the house is already warm

So it'd be pretty cool if one could use the warm air in the house to heat water instead, which could be stored for later use

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

They do exist here you would probably have to have a passive Haus standard with lots of hoolies going on to use it.

https://unipipe.ie/exhaust-air-heat-pumps/

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The mixergy tank is impressive (dunno about prices) and the way it can offer "volumetric heating" mmmm a new buzz word 😉

https://www.mixergy.co.uk/products/mixergy-tank/

Our kids kids will be wondering why we were heating all that water but only using a fraction of it....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Dont have it to hand but there is heatpump hot water tanks that take warm air from bathrooms, kitchen etc, and put that into the tank.

They also have installed one on a dairy farm, taking waste heat from the plant room (where the vacuum pumps are) to heat hot water.

Found it : https://glenergy.ie/hot-water-heat-pumps/

• Advertisement

I wonder has there been much movement on biogas production in the past year

I wouldn't call it a long term solution but digesters are pretty easy to build and scale up, and we already have a lot of cattle (not to mention other sources of methane) so it seems like a no brainer

AFAIK biogas generally gets held back when natural gas is cheap because it's more expensive to produce. But with natural gas prices through the roof and about to reach high orbit then alternative fuels should be much more competitive

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

EU looking to cap €/MWh price for renewable (inc nuclear) sources at €180.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/eu-propose-crisis-measures-curb-energy-price-spike-2022-09-14/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

18c per kwh is nice but if the idiots in charge don't cap the "standing charges" I can see that loophole being used to continue to gouge customers.

That's not even a cap on consumer prices, just the price of non fossil energy sources

I think the answer is to decouple the price of electricity from gas, that would allow renewable sources to be truly competitive and start seriously undercutting gas power stations

I also think a price cap on revenues isn't the best answer. A windfall tax on profits would force the producers to reinvest their revenue into expanding the amount of renewable generators and battery storage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Are these tiles a pain to mount panels on? I'd be able to access the back of it easy enough to go through the felt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Standard pantiles? No, pretty easy. You shift the tile up and screw the standard brackets directly into the rafters, then shift the tile back. You could break a tile or two, so have a few spares ready. Also you will curse a lot and there will be some blood, sweat and tears on your first go if my experience is anything to go by 😁

So you got the virus then? First a few panels DIY on a shed or a simple ground mount of just against a fence. Then you start wondering where else you can DIY panels, etc. Word of warning: it won't stop until you have all your roofs and available spaces plastered with PV 😎

Got the virus, classic 😂

Seriously, there must be some kind of obsession with people and electrification. Literally everyone I know who has bought an EV has either gotten or is considering solar panels and looking at way to move away from fossil fuels

I mean it makes complete sense, I'm sure if you could put panels on your house that magically made petrol then everyone would have them.

And having moved to EVs myself, I don't want to see anything with a petrol engine on it anymore. I even got annoyed a few years back when I rented a compactor and had to get a petrol one because the electric one wasn't powerful enough. So it's electrification all the way as far as I'm concerned

I just find it very funny how everyone seems to get thinking along the same path.

Either it's get an EV, then solar and maybe heat pump

Or get solar, then EV, then heat pump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

i think you may have to grind some clearance for the bracket, into the back of the tile. I'll be fine with all that. but going onto a fairly high roof is gonna be the toughest part.

It's up to you but personally that's one bit I'd pay the professionals to do.

If I was doing it myself then at some point I'll be standing on the roof holding a big heavy panel and trying not to get blown off

I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that I'm actually quite bad at it

Well.. if you can make your own " fuel" at home why wouldn't you.

It started me on a path of "burn less stuff" journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I hear ya, I was just replying the earlier post about what is involved. And the safety aspect of being up on a roof is indeed a large factor in me having gotten an installer in, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Don't think there's any cutting involved I have the same ones and they just slide the tile up, screw the bracket on the joists and then slide the tile over it.

The tile does sit a few mm higher but no water in the house yet 🤣

@SD_DRACULA - same here. Didn't need to do any cutting myself, I have the brackets coming out from under the arch of the pantile if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The idea they have roads is a myth. Those guys don't need roads. The speed they drive means they just fly 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You guys are in the ha'penny place with you're roofs. I've got a field to expand into 😂😂

• Advertisement

I'm not jealous. You bastard 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

Speaking of jealous of spare land for solar. @SouthWesterly (and I'm jealous of your field too)... this lake is using well under 1% of space to get 12,000 floating panels. Reduces 1) heat on panels so better performance in summer 2) reduces water evaporation. Ignoring the 30% dearer to install, lakes / reservoirs are space every country has that they likely don't need to buy or lease. And they say later that land gets expensive closer to large population centres (where you need the large solar farms). So using water bodies could help as there needs to be loads of water in those places.

Edit: fixed link Floating Solar Farms Are a Game Changer (reasonstobecheerful.world)

I've seen other places trialling it in likes of Middle East over narrow irrigation canals. Primarily to reduce evaporation as they lose heaps in that temp

Post edited by DC999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'm starting to see more and more commercial roofs finally being plastered in solar panels.

Done a quick google maps measuring.. i have roughly 300m2 of easy install south west roofs at home (Steel, Low slope)

On an outfarm theres 550 m2 of East west, steel low slope and about 220m2 of south/southeast, Steel low slope. and these are "small" sheds on the grand scheme of things. Solar on that outfarm is now viable with the announced FIT though, (still classed as a domestic connection).

You'd presumably get the CEP with that size of an installation, which is a bit lower. I imagine with the amount you'd be generating it's still worthwhile despite the lower rate

DIY install, get parts for good prices and that's a sound low risk investment with a high return. Provided of course the FIT stays the way it is. Which is a big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

Stopping them getting nicked will be a whole spin off industry. Will need some way they are all fairly well locked in place :)

Would need a commercial connection (+ a few €k )not a residential.. nc7 (+1k). Tbh not worth it, also quite a bit away from 3 phase. Cep is only 13.5 cent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I have done some digging on using a piece of land, I think it applies to lots of shed roofs too. Essentially, the impression I got after some conversations and research is you need to be self consuming a chunk of it, or have a local energy thirsty business (e.g a factor) to use a large chunk of it. This means you can do a deal with said factory to guarantee a certain price over a long period. On a larger setup with cost of ground mounts especially, I suspect the business plan will be based on 10-15 year revenues? There is no guarantee FIT will be useful in 5-6 years, hence the benefit of a heavy user in close proximity. (this relates to a smaller piece of land, a much larger piece will obviously overcome the initial fixed costs like connections, sub-stations, etc far easier)

Spain pumped money into incentivising solar panels years ago, including FIT, the big boys flocked in and saturated spain with solar, so bonus pulled - 62,000 people now bankrupt (and many no doubt suffering with mental health due to stress/protests)

https://www.france24.com/en/tv-shows/focus/20220221-spain-s-solar-energy-crisis-62-000-people-bankrupt-after-investing-in-solar-panels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0gbisTsj2w

😎

Advertisement