Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Had the K£ lads out today dropping off some stuff, and from their review of the roof they think I'll only get 5 on the front and 4 on the back in my E/W array.

When xxx was out in April to review and give me s quote, he looked at the roof and thought 12 on a 6/6 Split, and quoted on this, but now if only 9 then its a large decrease.

Their quote was for 12x370kw, 5Kw inverter and 5Kw battery for €10,200 pre grant and based on their sizing net €7,800.

Now there will be zero reduction in cost because 3 less panels, and they are putting in 385Kw, but with 9 panels the grant will be about 2,200, so say they knock 600 for 3 less panels, and smaller grant then cost will be €9600 pre and €7400 post grant, but system is 3465Kw and inverter and battery, is this a good price, and how realistic is it that they way overestimate the no of panels 12 vs what's likely to be able to be put up.

There was a site visit and view of Google maps, but didn't go onto the roof until today, as for 8/9 panels I might have went with SAS provider, even without battery, as would have been half the price,

Any thoughts or what I should do, as they are back this week to start the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

So 3 less panels and they are reducing the cost by 600, they charge 400 extra per panel if you where to add more during the installatio. I would be looking for 1200 off. Thay fecked up not you

I don't know what the revised figure would be, just guessing but is 9 panel system worth it? For price

If gad known max 9 panels, I might have gone solar as a service, maybe dropped the 5kW battery, as I don't know what revised figure will be, and yhey are planning to install today.

I find it hard how a site visit albeit not on thr roof inspection could quote 12 panels and then when here it's down to 8 naybe 9, which us a considerable drop in total system capacity,

I know it a bit late now given they are going to install later today, but what should I do, apart from contacting the office as I'd a 5kW battery overkill for a system with 9panels @385, given the FIT announced,

Any quick thoughts on how yo approach, and what reduction should be applied given less panels, fittings, time required even though this is probably irrelevant as they have to get up on the roof whether 9 or 12 panels going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Given battery demand I don’t think they should penalise you for saying you will hold off on the battery, especially if your keeping the same inverter so you can add battery later.

worth a quick call to office anyway

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 HumanRightsNGO

Sorry to bump this but does anyone have any thoughts on this offer?

For the price the battery is too small next to pointless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So would it be a better deal with 2 extra panels instead of the eddi?

It is probably working out at 1200 over the lifetime of the service.I assume an eddi can be added a lot cheaper at a later date?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Personally, I'd add extra panels..depending on price of course. But my brother in law got the 29.99 offer without the eddi. I purchased a second eddi (1 for him) when getting my install done for 468 Inc VAT, a local electrician is fitting it.

1200 euro over 10 years v the upfront price is hard to justify in my opinion, but others may have a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Why, surely it's worth it to balance the power generated, and not lose it to a ridiculously low ball FIT, or to nowhere at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

+1 for more panels over an Eddi. Houses are gonna use ever-more electricity (EVs, move from gas boilers, the more tech / devices we add...)

For me the Eddi only comes into its own when you have showers already running from the hot tank and the tank is well insulated. And for those houses where people like to enjoy a long soak under the shower. Otherwise, my view is stay with the electric shower and get the money back on FIT instead of sending to the hot tank via the Eddi.

I know many others here favour the Eddi for the reasons above. It's convenient to have hot water on-demand if you use a lot of it. But for our house, an electric shower is the better option. Different strokes, different...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HumanRightsNGO

@MAULBROOK Thanks!

Is that because you think it wouldn't store enough from the panels or just that it's not worth it because of the generation maxmimum? I had though about getting double battery to be able to do night rates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

I'm in a similar position, we're getting a 3kw system with Huawei inverter.

Would it be a bad idea to get the Huawei battery now during the install?

Or should we wait and hope the price comes down as the technology advances?

Would the 5kw battery be effective on an install of this size?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Wondering if anyone has a view on the below quote?

400 W Solar Panel - 10 Panels

Hybrid Inverter

My Eddi Hot water diverter

Van Der Valk Roof Mounting

Isolators, Cabling, Switchgear etc,

€ 9,000.00          Cost.

€ 2,400.00          SEAI Grant

€ 6,600.00          Final Cost

I don't think i want the Eddi so I'm assuming that will knock off about 500€ or so.

Install just finished, and they somehow managed to get all 12 panels on the roof, now the fun and games looking at production/consumption, and figuring out what it all means.

Thanks for all advice, as I got then to do all wiring for future ev charger install, and in general they did a tidy job.

Recommend the Enniskillen lads.

@cloughy, remembers the fight club rule of no installer names or major hints of who they are!! Well done on the install from the ********* company :)

All the worry of them not being able to fit the panels got sorted on the day, we had same drama with our installer. Now the fun / OCD starts checking the app every waking moment. Welcome to da club!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Great to hear it all worked out in the end. Remember to take an occasional break from being glued to the various solar apps. 😉

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The rule is no naming installers by name. Referring to a bunch of lads from a geographic location is fine.

No worries we all know who they are, now I will he posting on other treads with questions on what does this and that mean on solis cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 pphil

Hi. I have been reading through all the info, some excellent advice as usual, thanks for pulling it all together.

I am just starting to get a few quotes and got one today that I wouldnt mind hearing what folks think. It is the lowest quote so far, for similar kit from what I can see.

16 x 380 PEIMAR Panels (~6kw total)

Solis 4.8kw inverter

Eddi Diverter

It includes all the usual install, handling SEAI grant upfront, BER rating etc.

Cost after the grant is €10600, or €11400 to get hybrid inverter which I will probably end up getting.

As I said, It's the cheapest one I've gotten, even though its way over the rough guide calculator.

Is anyone getting quotes any closer to the rough guide calculation?

And by the by, all the vendors so far are quoting 4 to 6 month install lead times.

Thanks as always for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know with SaaS who owns the panels at the end of the 10 years? If its the homeowner what sort of life cycle do solar panels have, is there a point where they degrade and dont deliver electricity as efficiently as they did when brand new?

Also wondering if any posters here who have SaaS have inputed their production on that very useful spreadsheet, Id be keen to find out what they are generating with the equipment supplied by the Saas provider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

You own the panels after full payment, they will last 20 to 25+ years with a bit of degradation maybe 15-20%.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thanks con thats interesting. Do people tend to over spec their panels by 20% in anticipation of later degradation

At 10 years for 30 a month would work out at 3,600 and the grant is up to 2,400 depending on the size of the array. Which makes the net cost potentially as low as 1,200 and with them maintaining the system for 10 years should anything go wrong. It almost seems too good to be true, am I missing something here?

AFAIK it costs €3600 after the grant is deducted, but others here who have used the SAAS can confirm if that's correct and the panels I wouldn't worry about if you get them they will be producing good enough well after 10 years.

ok right the Saas website I was looking at didnt make it clear that the 30 a month is net of the grant which changes things a bit.

Still though Im going to get on to them regardless as Id like more detail. The main thing is what size array they could fit on my roof, its a typical 3 bed semi but it has a Velux window in the middle which might complicate things. At the moment Ive no ideas what size array would fit as it seems difficult to work out with all different sizes of panels and me not being able to measure the roof properly anyway. So I guess a survey is the way to go to find out.

They will also put up additional panels for you if you can fit more on the roof, not sure how much extra they charge per panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eskothor

I have been quoted the following:

8 x 415 Watt Panels -  Jinko

Optimizers

Inverter 3K (Huawei)

Eddi

Total 9k before grant.

No battery

Install+BER+etc.

Is this a good quote?

• Advertisement

Short answer no, look at SAAS listed on the installers thread and the previous few posts. You can get the same sized system for nearly half the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement