Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Assists with a cross for what could be the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Knuckle draggers still not happy because he wasn't linking outta his teammates while respectfully observing the minutes silence with the head bowed.

Looks to have either played CF in a 4-3-3 or in a front two. Given Kenny a selection headache with Obafemi out of form and selection at club level atm, Ogbene showing a bit of poaching instinct, and while Parrott is putting the hard work in his only goal contribution has been one goal in the EFL Cup and no assists so far with Preston as a whole poor in front of goal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You'd still have to assume that Michael will be there abouts to start anyway. We just have no strikers tearing it up at the moment. Might be the shot in the arm he needs but he is a fragile type of lad by al accounts. Troy is really struggling but good to see him starting regularly though. One would have hoped he'd find his level this year and contribute with goals but it just isn't happening. Liam Delap also struggling to settle early on which in a way could be good for us actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He did wear a black armband. Miguel Delaney? What did he say about him?

I think it was just James being James. Social media and some people don't mix. I thought when I read that McCleans post originally it was a bit silly and the context really didn't make sense. It looked as if he were having a dig at Delaney but he wasn't. Just bizarre stuff as usual.

McClean just told Delaney to mind his own business when passing comment about him more or less.

What Miguel tweeted, though he says that's in response to an article I think and said he'd have supported McClean if he didn't wear one and his comments are being twisted.

What McClean posted on his Instagram story.

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1569378002387214338

He's right. Why was Delaney blabbing about something that didn't happen yet and turns out never happened at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Ogbene,Hogan ,Molumpy all on target tonight

Molumby got the assist for West Brom. Ogbene starting the season the way we hoped Obafemi would. Playing like a man out of contract next summer and pushing for that big career move. Wouldn't be surprised if some teams from abroad sniff around him in January. His speed and strength could make him stand out in some leagues abroad and while technically he's not the most graceful player he's showing a bit of a poachers instinct in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'm actually a bit surprised none of the lower PL teams didn't take a chance on him.

2 goals for Hogan, a goal for Kelly as well. At least we've a few players hitting form at the right time.

Was humming and hawing on whether Hogan would get a call up earlier this evening but the two goals tonight has probably helped his selection. He wouldn't have been in the 23 I fell would be likely call ups but think it's gonna be a 25 man squad.

Bazunu, Travers, O'Leary.

Doherty, Coleman, Collins, Duffy, Egan, O'Shea, Omobamidele, McClean, Brady.

Cullen, Hendrick, Molumby, Knight, Browne.

Ogbene, O'Dowda, Obafemi, Parrott, Robinson, Keane.

Wasn't sure who the final two would be but Hogan definitely gets added to the list now. The final spot I think might be between Manning, Sykes, or Hourihane.

Manning as another LWB which would allow Kenny to also use Brady further forward. Sykes could be a dark horse call up. Only named five midfielders because I think that should be enough for the two games with someone on stand by but Kenny might want six in the squad. Brady is also someone he'd probably play as an advanced midfielder if he was looking for someone more versatile like Manning or Sykes and only select five midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Who starts up top?

We've had a few false dawns over the past year with the striking options. Robinson and Ogbene were in great form and then dropped off, then Parrott and Obafemi played well but haven't been ripping it up this season so far.

Should Kenny pick form players like Ogbene, Robinson or Hogan or persist with Obafemi and Parrott?

It's a tough one.

• Advertisement

I think he should persist with Troy and Michael for the time being. We know Scott and Will give us SFA. I think it's between four at the moment of Troy,Michael, Callum and Chiedozie.

Sometimes poor form doesn't transfer across from Club to International so that's what we need to hope for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I think he has to start with form somewhat. Ogbene and Parrott should start up front. Ogbene is playing well, and Parrott is well, playing. Obafemi needs to sort his head out and get back to where he was earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Has to be Obafemi I think anyway, after the absolute stormer he had in his last game for us especially. And he started this season well enough too, scored that one absolute peach where he rolled it back and completely wrong footed the defender before finishing - he's just out of the team because of the transfer stuff. But his performances were grand, so I'd say he'd be chomping at the bit to get back on the field again.

Parrott and Obafemi have the highest ceilings of all our forwards by a distance, so I'd be inclined to give them time together where possible until/unless their performances for us drop off. They deserve the chance to keep going where they left off in green.

Go with Michael Oba for a game anyway and see what he is like. See if he can leave his head issues to one side. It might even help reignite his club season. He needs to do away with his muppet agent fast. There is a long term picture to consider and a quick pay increase is all his agent is thinking about. He is still young enough to earn plenty of money without harming his short term prospects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

On form you would have to say Hogan and Ogbene but I agree that Hogan has never shown much for Ireland. I would go with Ogbene, Parrott and Obafemi.

I would happily leave Keane out of the squad. Never showed in green.

If Obafemi is omitted he may have another strop and never play again. I am not saying this is a good reason to pick him but it has to be on SKs mind

• Advertisement

No surprises with the squad really but am a bit surprised he didn't pick Will Keane again.

Talk that Aaron Connolly will be included in the U21s squad.

Probably the right thing. Well off the senior squad right now, and the U21s could do with the reinforcements to try to make the tournament.

Yeh that was my first thought. We need to start looking at an alternative a LB/LWB. Manning is in that position playing regularly for the last two years in the Championship. McLean won't go on forever and I'm not convinced that he should be starting for us. The same goes for Brady. He might see him as cover for McClean but that is very shortsighted. Horrific to see Hourihane still there despite dropping down to League 1. Our midfield options contain 2 league 1 players. We badly need new blood in that area.

Jack Bonham has played more than O'Leary this season so might have been worth a look at in the squad.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Bonham got injured.

A return for Luca Connell, Joe Hodge keeps his place, and a first call up for Finn Azaz. Kilkenny and Noß out with injuries I believe. Festy and Connolly with the U21s.

I don't know if Connolly will be guaranteed a start lads. Especially with the system that Crawford plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Good to see O'Dowda back in after the run of injuries.

No idea what Hourihane is still being picked. He is anonymous for us.

I think Byrne might do alright in the deeper six role if you dropped him into the midfield with Molumby and Knight. Think Mick even passed comment about how Byrne plays to deep and wanted to see him higher up the pitch in and around tye final third making things happen. Rather than coming deep to receive the ball from defenders.

One thing I like about Byrne and it's the reason I wouldn't mind seeing him picked at times is he always wants to be on the ball. If he hasn't got it he's making space to receive the ball and moving forward when he has it.

That's a fair observation. I think with the 21's out too Kenny is limited. Otherwise you could be looking at Conor Cov or Smallbone in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Senior squad fairly as expected, struggling to think of anyone else who deserves to be included and think most of the squad is deserving of their callup maybe apart from Hourihane. Hard to say who would be a better alternative, maybe Smallbone once the 21s campaign is over. Jack Byrne possibly if he is fully fit and on form but he is neither right now unfortunately.

I'd go with Bazunu; Omobamidele, Collins, Egan; Doherty, Molumby, Cullen, Knight, McClean; Ogbene, Parrott for Scotland. Complete toss up between Obafemi and Ogbene but the latter is in better form. Then you could bring in Duffy, Brady, Browne, Obafemi, Hendrick for the Armenia game if lads needed a rest while still throwing out a fairly good team.

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if Brady starts both games and could see it being McClean away to Scotland and Brady at home to Armenia. Game at Hampton is likely to be physical and McClean probably had his best game for us under Kenny in that 3-0 Scotland win.

Tony O'Donoghue is a poor journalist. Questioning why Caomhin isnt in the squad. He says hes back training with Liverpool so its strange. Eh no Tony. Hes been injured for the best part of 3 months so its not strange at all. Clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,722 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Is Duffy getting game time at Fulham ?

Will it be Collins and Omobamidele, at back ?

Coleman hardly played any for Everton either, dont think Doherty is getting much time at Spurs.

Thought Egan was injured ?

Coleman played in a 3 for Everton last season and did alright, probably suits him better now as he slows down, great leader on field.

Nope Egan has played every minute this season for Sheffield United. Enda Stevens has been injured since the first game. Could see him sticking with Duffy and not changing too much from Scotland at home bar Bazunu and Doherty coming in. Omobamidele has been the better of the two between himself and O'Shea so would likely come in. Unless he feels O'Shea is that bit more experienced and defensively minded. Hoping we see Collins in the middle of the three again though.

New lad for the U21s, Finn Azaz and his three goals so far this season for Plymouth who are third in League One. Finished last season with 7 goals and 7 assists for a mid table Newport County.

Norwich are flying now, and Omobamidele is starting , like to see him start , he'll have that winning confidence.

Yeah would like to see him go with Omobamidele, Collins, and Egan. Could very well be our defensive three for the Euro qualifiers.

Duffy is likely gonna need to find a new loan come January. Fulham are going well atm and don't see him getting into the team unless injuries happen. Thought he'd have one campaign left as a guaranteed starter but likely won't happen if he's stuck on Fulhams bench. Gonna need to move in January for his international prospects and to get himself the best possible deal next summer when he's a free agent.

• Advertisement

Coleman and especially Doherty haven't played much this season either, so don't see why Duffy would be sidelined for that reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Duffy is a liability trying to play out from the back lads. He nearly gave away 2 goals early on in the last game.

I cannot see what he offers when compared to Egan, Omo, Collins and even O'Shea.

If Egan was injured I might include him as the experience head but otherwise no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

We really are spoiled for choice at centre back. Ultimately I think the 3 will be Collins, O’Shea and Omobamedele. If only we had similar quality coming through in midfield. Upfront doesn’t look too shabby either, if Parrott, Obafemi, Idah all come through, and there’s Ogbene, who I think is terrific. Can’t understand some of the criticism he gets. He’s generally been pretty effective when he plays, and he can put the ball in the net.

Whatever about the possibility of Duffy not starter, but there's no chance that John Egan isn't starting.

I think he meant ultimately as in 3 or 4 years time.

It is too hard to look out that far imo as others could come good in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Finn Azaz looks an interesting prospect, seems to have some great feet and technique. Also fair play to Connolly for taking the callup, we know not everyone in a green jersey would be willing to take the step down.

Didn't get a move and is sulking now. Unfortunately not the first time we've seen this, likely not the last.

Think for Connolly and even his agent would probably tell him it's a good move because it gets you back around the Irish set up especially playing abroad. Shows the senior management that your comments about turning things around were meaningful. Train hard, Crawford puts in a glowing review about you, and might give Kenny something to think about for Novembers training camp. Would be great for him personally if we qualify because would give him more opportunities like this if he's not picked for future Ireland squads.

Has Ryan Johansson dropped off the scene a bit? Haven't heard anything about him for a while.

And is John Joe Patrick Finn still part of the U19s?

No Finn Benoa would now be over age for the U19s. Current U19s would be for lads born in 2004.

Seems Russell Martin isn't happy with comments that Kenny made in his press conference yesterday regarding Obafemi when he said there's three sides to every story when talking about his situation at Swansea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement