Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The prize in that was free drugs for the other members.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

A ladies competition was won with 63 in a club earlier in the summer playing off 48.

The club & player names are removed but it’s 100% legit. I heard she only took up last year and she’s 100% genuine.

Par 74 for ladies and she went around in 95 strokes in a stableford comp, she got cut 20 shots after it as it was her 9th round on her handicap index.

124 strokes was her previous lowest score and 109 is her lowest besides the win above. Her HI is 29 now with 11 scores on her index.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

Jeez some of those scores are off the wall, but the scores that were in 2nd place are hardly extreme at 41 & 42 pts. That to me kinda points to extreme outliers tbh. Although for a small country we do seem to have a lot of outliers 😁

I guess golf as a whole needs to decide at what base level of ability does it allow someone to compete. I agree with a lot of Fix's points, and in fairness a lot of GreeBo's too, in that the day you take up golf you shouldn't expect to be competitive, there's always been a learning curve that went something like, get a handicap, probably 24, can't play anywhere close to it for ages, gain some experience, maybe a few lessons or just plenty of rounds, and over time you'd break 100 for the first time, then 95, then play to your handicap, then break 90 etc etc. You certainly wouldn't be shooting 110 and winning anything, you'd be mortified if you did. Once you were regularly in the 90s you could probably consider yourself competitive at that point.

Not sure what was wrong with that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭newport2

Agree. When you start golf, you should be trying to enjoy yourself and learning to play to your handicap. If you're going to give it up because you're not in contention in competitions from the word go, then it's probably not the game for you and you probably won't stick at it anyway. Most golfers I know loved it from the start and got hooked very quickly - they weren't even thinking about winning competitions at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I don't know exactly where you draw the line, but players with 2 or 3 shots on par 3's shouldn't be in the running for club competition wins. These guys win everything currently. Being realistic there should be a side event for "most improved golfer" on the day that supports high hc players and make them want to win that prize and applauds players new and old of all abilities and gives a platform for turning in 50+ points in a round without embarrassment or finger pointing. While also allowing good players to compete in the main competition through good golf.

The Le mans series of car racing has multiple different classes of car compete in the same race. Cars that are 1/5 of the power and 1/10th the budget compete on the same track at the same time. Their prize is different at the end, however the prestige of winning is the same. Golf should be like that too.

Post edited by RoadRunner on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

So could we all maybe agree on these minor changes:

1. New members will be assigned a maximum handicap index of 24, and this mark cannot exceed 24 until they have submitted 20 counting cards.
    2. A player’s current WHS index cannot be more than 3 points higher the best differential in their past 20 counting cards, and no more than 4 shots higher than the best differential in their last 40 counting cards. So if I shoot a 21 differential today, then my handicap index can go no higher than 24 for the next 20 rounds (regardless of the other 19 cards) and no higher than 25 for the next 40 rounds (regardless of other 39 cards).

no.1 takes care of the new players who as pointed above by many people, should not expect to win when learning the game.

no. 2 should alleviate most of the bandits in the game. If the bandit’s goal is to win a major then as they won’t know who else is playing that game, they’ll have to throw everything into it. Which, even if it doesn’t pay off with a prize, will hurt them for up to 40 rounds.

no.2 also effectively prevents any man woman or child knocking in multiple 48-50 pointers in a season, for they’ll lose 8-10 shots off their handicap immediately for the privilege of their day in the sun. It doesn’t prevent a group of members doing this in turn…. But no system does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

No. 2 is much too strict. My index is 6.7, I've shot a 1.2 - I'm not a 4.2 handicap player. Maybe you can't be more than 3 higher than your lowest index?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I would agree with that to an extent but would further it to saY no more than 3 higher the lowest differential on the 3 year record

No real issue with 1, but don't agree with 2. I think that's way too severe and defeats the purpose of your H/C reflecting form rather than potential. For instance I've 7 shots between my best and "worst" counting rounds in my top 8, and my index is currently 4 higher than my best. I'd already be in breach, so to speak, and I'm no bandit, off low-ish single figures. I'd guess most people's handicap would fall somewhere in or around the mid point of their 8 counting rounds and that could easily be more than 3 higher than the best one. I'd say almost no one is consistent enough to have that close a spread in their top 8. You'd be redefining completely what handicap is IMHO.

Like most, I think 50pts is madness and that WHS could certainly be tweaked, but if we're using WHS we have to move away from handicap being potential or close to "best", or its then a kind of hybrid with CONGU at that point IMO.

Is that not even more severe ? or am I reading it wrong ? Taking in a score from 3 years ago ?

• Advertisement

Personally I don’t think scores from 3 years ago are relevant to anyone who plays regular golf, whether they are professionals, high end amateurs, serious club golfers, the erratic middle of the road bulge, or old timers enjoying their days.

High scores from way back aren’t relevant. Low scores from way back aren’t relevant. Being able to freeze your mental and physical approach to sport for 3 full years would put you in a minority of minorities.

——-

Re a hard cap being applied to differentials or averages, this is probably the area most difficult to reconcile. Aligning it to your lowest average does seem fairer to me as it’s closer aligned to the day to day reality of your golf.

But aligning it to your best score should mean that on any given day, every player should have to work harder for a win, whereas clearly atm, on some days some players don’t have to work too hard at all (especially those on 28+ handicaps).

Agree re 3 year old scores.

Wouldnt aligning your h/c to your best score really just be almost CONGU by another name to all intents and purposes ? I’m not sure we should go that far for a few outlier scores tbh.

Yep it would @Russman - except with a more generous cap and a much shorter retention period.

I know there’s a hundred potential angles on this. But this scenario is wrong. A man is a 28 index because he’s averaged 28 in his best 8/20 rounds maybe has a few in the low 20s among that lot. Everything is fair enough in the world. Next week he shoots 15 over for 49 points. But even with an additional one-stroke exceptional cut applied, for the following week’s comp he’s still off 25 index. This is much too high.

The proposal I made above would see him off a maximum of 18 for 20 cards and 19 for 40 cards. This is perhaps a little punitive (maybe 4 and 5 might be better caps), but it’s a much fairer reflection on his golf game. You need more than a hot putter and a bit of luck to beat your handicap by 13.

Post edited by thewobbler on

Absolutely there’s a hundred angles to it, and probably all have merit. In your example though, why is 25 still too high for him ? If, (granted it’s an “if”) he’s close to a genuine golfer, there’s little chance he’ll repeat that score. It was too high for him under CONGU but not necessarily under WHS. Again, I know we’re dealing with “ifs”, but if he’s genuine, we’re essentially making him completely non-competitive for 40 rounds, that could be two years for some people. With the whole world going to WHS I think we have to redefine what we think handicap means. It used to mean basically what he’s able to shoot, now it’s how he’s playing of late.

I get, and largely agree with beating your handicap by 13 being more than luck, but I’d love to see data on it, like are these people beginners, improvers or cagey old dogs ? I do think there’s some other factor in play and it’s not your regular “joe who’s been a member for 20 years” types doing these mad scores (that’s purely a guess though). Maybe both our opinions on it are based on years of CONGU though, and it’s not such a big deal under WHS, I dunno.

I suppose in my scenario above, the onus should be on the man to prove he is actually a 28 handicapper who had an outrageous day, rather than a 20 handicapper who doesn’t need the safety net of a big bastard handicap.

We, the rest of the field, can’t force him out of his safety net under current WHS. But were is handicap decimated, If he has in any way a competitive soul he will never rise to 28 again, because somewhere along those 40 rounds he surely has to develop the will/concentration to play closer to low 20s.

—-

by the way, I’d quite happily win a members comp every 2 years for the rest of my life, so long as I put in enough decent rounds a year to know that I can still go close Does anyone really think they should win more often than that?

Oh I get what you're saying completely, but it kinda takes us back to "what is a 28 handicapper ?" now, or a 10, or a 15 etc. Its completely redefined and we're still thinking of it in terms of what we used to believe one was. Like, if his average of best 8 etc comes out at 28, then he's a 28 handicapper. What more can he do ?

Meh, I dunno, I think we're all sort of saying the same thing to a greater or lesser degree. I think WHS needs to be tweaked but I'm not sure how, or Golf Ireland need to communicate better to show just how far removed it is from CONGU - in fairness COVID stopped them doing the club visits and workshops, but I think they could do them now, after WHS has had a season or two to bed in, and explain the rationale and changes.

But, speaking of whether a guy is a 20 or a 28, watching the golf at Wentworth, I see Min Woo Lee had 76, 62 in his first two rounds. 14 shots of a difference, from one of the best players on the planet. If a 16 handicapper did that in Ireland he'd be called a bandit 😀 ! I don't think club golfers should be getting too upset when Joe off 20 or 28 shoots rounds with a similar or worse variance tbh. Its golf, its hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

I’ll give my scenario.

Joined club 6 years ago, handed in 3 cards and got a handicap of 18, my average score was around the 110(+). Slogged away at it with average I’d say 20points and handicap slowly went up to 20 over about 3 years. TBH got pissed off with it and pretty much ignored comps.

Then WHS came in and after my 20 cards were counted up had a HC index of mid to high 20s. Still not take it too seriously bar some fun/social golf which I did enjoy a lot.

Decided to give it a go last year with a few lessons and played with and got advice from decent players (big one was course management and swinging vs over controlling). Anyway, as would expect not huge progress year 1 but saw a slight dip in HC index to 23 (did win the annual cup that I do with couple friends which was highlight). Never broke 90

This year few more lessons. Start of season…meah. Too inconsistent, par/burdie/scratch/scratch/bogie/scratch kind of stuff. Decided to overhaul the clubs with a decent fitting and something just clicked, especially with driver and putter.

Over 3 months have gone from 23.6 to 20.3 index. Broke 90 and shot 40 strokes over 9 holes once. In between there were low 90s but no 100s or anything near. Hope to get sub 20 before end of season.

But my story is…in one comp I scored 46 points (same day hit 40 on front 9). BEST DAY EVER (golf wise). Could do no wrong. Yes, it was a complete outlier. BTW I was second to a 48 pointer (from an 12 HC index player). In same timeframe have won 3 of 6 comps with local society. 18 cards handed in this year alone.

I am sure I’m being called a bandit and worse except for the lads I’ve been playing with last few years. But it is timing…in a great place golf wise (it’s all relative), playing better then HC which is dropping (and could go back up).

I also see the opposite scenario. Players with low HC vs there’re ability…but not handing in cards. Want to hang onto the <18 number. And then giving out when not in the races…I have zero pity there (especially when I take money off them).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Best reason in the world I can see for whs. A proper handicap system gave you the encouragement to actually try and enjoy golf and now it's paying dividends. Great to see someone enjoying the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It is a strength of the WHS, as much as it was a huge failing of Congu... That failing should have been easily fixed by HC Secs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

does it matter how much she won by though? as long as she gets cut by the appropriate amount to bring her back into kilter

get the same score again and she would get what 44

• Advertisement

Could it really though ? These are mostly volunteer club members (half of whom haven't the first clue about golf😁) and to ask them to look closely at all the playing records on a, say, monthly or bi monthly basis is expecting a bit much IMO.

That's apart from how subjective it all would/could be from club to club:

"Joe's playing rubbish for the last few months, he hasn't done any scores even in his buffer, should we give him a shot or two back ?"

".....go on out of that, I played 9 with him on Thursday night and he had two birdies and three pars, he doesn't need any shots back...."

That conversation actually happened a good few years ago in my place believe it or not. Mind you the H/C Sec hated "Joe" anyway.

Hey Mr Sec, I need John for the XXXX inter-club next year, could you have a look at his handicap ?

I'm not sure how Joe came into it.

The poster above was a beginner who was given an initial HC of 18 and wasn't able to play to it for 3 years before losing interest. This was a common thing in quite a few clubs and while I can see / would have tended to agree with the idea of giving people an initial HC that they can improve to... You also need a HC Sec who is going to look at annual reviews for outliers.

Some clubs were very bad for this and it wouldn't have been a big job for any competent HC Sec tbh. The software was there to show if a guy wasn't able to play anywhere near his HC for a prolonged period.

Nobody was talking about monthly reviews etc. and if clubs were giving shots back to players for club teams then they should have been reported to the GUI.

Fair enough. I guess my point was that I think across the board its better to take as much subjectivity out of it as possible. H/C Secs would vary enormously from club to club, even from year to year within a club. I just think a member isn't the right person to pass judgement on the playing ability of another member, purely because personalities can come into it. Thankfully WHS alleviates a lot of this I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

But in higster's case, the HC Sec gave him a handicap that he clearly couldn't play to and for which there was absolutely no justification for according to the cards he handed in. A chap who can't break 110 shouldn't be getting a handicap of 18. That's just nuts. IIrc, the rule three years ago was double bogey for scores above double bogey when giving initial handicaps. Which would allow a handicap in the high twenties if not the low thirties on those sorts of scores.

I don't think it was a rule, just guidance. I agree that it was an issue with some clubs just handing out 18 as a standard initial HC for anyone with cards 100 or above.

I got 18 myself starting out when iirc I would have been higher going by that double bogey guidance. But thankfully after a year of 0.1s and the odd buffer of hope, I had gotten to the stage where I was able to play to it and cuts followed. But 18 was somewhat within reason for me, and I didn't mind that at all.

I think clubs were trying to protect the majority of members by allowing for (what can be sometimes) quick improvement with players new to the game. I can see the reasoning behind that when done within reason tbh.

Highsters case was different and 18 wasn't reasonable to start with but that mistake was compounded by the lack of an annual review, that was the biggest mistake imo. There was enough data after a year to adjust his HC and be safe enough in the knowledge that the field was protected.

WHS is quite different and HC Secs are almost redundant, people may like that, but we had an influx of new members during covid and the competitions were being won left right and centre by them. 3 bad cards, another month or so of golf and then all of a sudden there were playing much better than their high 20's or 30's handicaps. These were all young, fit, good sporting guys who turned to golf during covid. Fast improvement in scores was fairly inevitable tbh.

No system is perfect but when done right I was more in favour of the Congu one in terms of initial handicaps. I liked the idea of new players having something to work towards. I think most clubs had a sensible approach to it but Highsters was part of the minority that didn't.

Edit: To sum the initial HC situation up for me.

Congu generally gave new players something to aim for in terms of their initial HC.

WHS generally gives new players something they can capitalise on in terms of improving.

I just think it has added to the general disillusionment towards club competitions. The odds are stacked in favour of a new golfer who puts a bit of work into their game. And there are new golfers every year so the/my "problem" will remain.

Post edited by PARlance on

Some good points there as usual PARlance. Although the double bogey for scores above double bogey was guidance, it was also the default calculation done by the software when entering initial handicap cards. So any adjustment to that was a conscious decision by the HC Sec. And that's still the case. A HC Sec can make an adjustment unilaterally after the three cards are entered under WHS. After initial allocation, any adjustment must be notified to the player before it can be applied.

Initial handicaps are difficult to assess. A lot depends on the time period between first and last. If they're close together, you almost always find that they are in and around the same score. Over a longer period and there's a much better chance of getting a more accurate one. So you have to look at that, any potential for improvement and even look at individual hole scores (for example how they fare on low index holes over the three cards).

Having said that, the system is self correcting in the early stages. A good score after initial handicap will become the new handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

One of the things I most like about the new system is it takes the discretion out of the hands of the handicap secretary and people can get higher handicaps initially, or move out to them if they can't play to whatever they're off. The story described of the beginner who was drifting away from the game because they couldn't play to the handicap has been replicated in every club in the country many times I'm sure.

Under CONGU by the way - under what circumstances would you get an exceptional scoring reduction? I got two, for 41 and 42 points and I'm wondering if they were based on the fact that I could hit the ball further than an average mid teen handicapper, as opposed to my scores. For context, I'd been between 15 and 17 handicap for about a decade, playing in 10 or 12 comps per year. I had never reached 40 points with a senior handicap. I think I'd won a winter comp in Tramore that year (with 37 points or so) which was non-counting. The first of my two good rounds was the 41 points and in Captains for 4th place, the other was a normal Sunday comp and I finished second. And for each on top of the 1.5 handicap reduction or so from beating standard scratch I was cut a further 2 shots. Was that in line with CONGU or the handicap secretary just deciding that someone shooting 5 shots better than standard scratch for the first time in about a hundred comps should be cut a further two shots?

ESRs under CONGU were based on a number of factors. First was a nett differential of -4 or less and the second was the frequency of scores with a nett differential of -4 or less. So you could have up to 9 qualifying scores between such exceptional scores and still get an ESR. In practice this didn't happen often because the other criteria for such a long gap was that the ND had to be less then -6.5.

As an example: You shoot a round of 40 points. This triggers the ESR clock but doesn't actually apply an ESR. You then put in two average enough score and then have a 41 point score. This wiil now trigger an ESR of 1. Do it again and you get another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Hmm. That sounds like what I suspected. I never had a score of 40 points, not sure if I ever even reached 39 to be honest. Then the first time I broke 40 I was cut 1.5 from beating it by 5 shots and a further 2 shots from an esr.

I was delighted to get the cut, but it does sound like the sort of handicap nonsense that was the norm.

• Advertisement

I was simplifying it to a certain extent. I didn't want to complicate it by introducing CSS. Like if CSS was 34, 38 points would give a ND of -4 for example. In your example of 41 points, the CSS seems to have been 36.

It was an awful system tbh. If you think about the buffer zone where you've played well (within a shot or two of your handicap) and there's no adjustment, whereas now it can go either way. I've had three rounds recently where I've played within a shot of my handicap (none below) and each time my index has gone down as a result.

Advertisement