Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

While I don't disagree with the factual statements here, it's way OTT to be so dismissive as regards the opinions on his fighting Fury, and his right to, and how he should be grateful. That reads nonsense to me.

AJ was ranked in the elite/top the past few years....Ok, he lost twice to Usyk........he avenged Ruiz clearly. He doesn't go from hero to 0 based off the Usyk losses.

What has Fury done the past few years? Beat Wilder twice and drew once, and beat a woeful Dillian Whyte, who AJ hammered years ago..

Try be a little more objective here. It's not all the Fury show.

At this moment in time the title of number 1 HW on earth is IMO between Usyk and Fury, but lets not make out that AJ is miles behind. Fury hasn't fought Usyk or AJ yet. Usyk hasn't fought Fury or Wilder yet, and AJ hasn't fought Fury and Wilder yet. It's all to play for, and this fight, if it goes ahead, will make for an intriguing race to the number 1 spot, should Fury lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

haha that would be comical !!

I think they are capable of beating each other I'm sure if AJ fought Usyk enough he would be bound to beat him in one eventually 😂

Fury - Usyk have the ring craft ,although in a very different sense.

Wilder AJ have power after that I give up trying to analyse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fury v Usyk is a bigger fight now in my opinion world wide,

Do you think AJ would fill out a football stadium in his next fight if its not against Fury ? i don't

I think without this fight we would see a big drop in AJ's numbers

Do you think AJ would have much spot light if his next fight is not Fury ? Could AJ v anyone not named Fury fill a stadium now ? Maybe v Wilder

He won the 2nd Ruiz fight but lets be fair Aj was blessed that Ruiz turned up an absolute mess, No chance that AJ risks it & gives him the rubber match now,

AJ right now today has very little to offer Fury other than money ,When Fury wins he won't get a belt or much credit ,

No matter what way you slice and dice it, I think your dismissal was way OTT.

Yes, one can argue who is the best HW, the more rated etc, but AJ is a very big name, highly rated, and this is a huge fight. Fury is not some huge PPV star here that is so far ahead of the rest.

As I said, the title of best has not been claimed yet, because the top rated guys have not finished fighting each other.

Usyk turned out to be AJs problem, and other than this he has won all fights (including the revenge fights ve Ruiz).

Fury has not done near enough to be described as being so far ahead of AJ in terms of rating and of "rights."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Looking like a joint PPV on Dazn and BT so hopefully that sorts the TV rights, which is usually what gets in the way of the mega fights being made.

Although I would think that the buys will be very lob sided in favour of BT.

Ah come on at this stage the title of the best is a 2 horse race between Usyk & Fury,

AJ is back in the pack , he has lost 3 of his last 5 & one of his two wins was self inflicted by Ruiz

AJ is a 24 / 3 Fighter , Whyte is 28/3 , Wilder 42/2 , Ruiz 35 / 2 that where he is now ,

Would you favour him against Wilder or Ruiz at this stage

I already said the number 1 spot is between Fury and Usyk right now.....

But, that could all change December 3. And then the game goes on....

Fury beats AJ, game still on, as Fury and Usyk need to fight. AJ beats Fury.....well, then Usyk number 1, but he still needs to beat Fury and Wilder. It's not easy to see who is the number 1 until they all fight, and even if the do, you could end up with none of them undefeated.

AJ-Wilder is a 50-50......maybe now slightly leaning Wilder

AJ-Ruiz: Hmm.....60-40. AJ beat him comfortably last time with the negative and timid and cautious approach. I'd back him to do that trick again

Just on this fight, if it happens: all the pressure to win is on Fury. AJ has had the bubble and hype burts a few times. AJ will be the underdog. Not much to lose if he loses, but Sh1t load kudos if he wins. Fury, on the other hand will be pasted by many for losing to a man he labeled nothing more than a body builder!!!

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yea it is but Usyk is out of contention. There’s no one else as good available. As good a draw. Em Joshua Wilder yea and I’m not too sure about others but I’m sure plenty would watch him with Whyte, Parker, Ortiz or Joyce.

• Advertisement

Yes. Joshua will be able to go for it. He’s a big able fella and he will certainly have moments. He has many more tools than Whyte to trouble Fury and Whyte made Fury at least work a bit. He would need to be willing to take a lot of jabs though. Fury would set a very high pace. I think Joshua can compete wrestling and grappling. He should throw plenty of body shots and try to tag Fury unexpected. Fury will try to showboat a bit and that could be an opportunity for him. Probably a 70-30 fight or worse for him but massive reward and a bit of a chance anyhow, could be dangerous with uppercuts and combos.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO, as a casual observer compared to the rest of you, the only reason Fury entertains this fight is because the chances of him losing are slim. IMO both of them see this as a good chance to fill the pension pot, may as well hop on the gravy train while they can.

I reckon Fury sees AJ as a bit of a golden goose but he needs to get that golden egg out of him before he stops laying. Fight him now before his stock diminishes further.

I am sure over the next few months we’ll see Joshua talked up as someone who can genuinely win this fight, because this narrative will ultimately boost earnings for both of them.

My 2cents anyway. Fury will win, I struggle to see another outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

When fury calls Aj a body builder etc he doesn’t really mean it it’s just bluster to get into his head I’m sure, once the fight is over all that bluster will be finished and they will shake hands.

im still not convinced the fight happens tbh and I’m half expecting an injury from either side

The internet isn’t for everyone

Yep. I think Fury could find an excuse. Not because he’s afraid. He’s just a flake!

AJ really just has a punchers’ chance, but the way he’s been punching and committing of late, if this continues he won’t beat Fury. Needs to actually throw big and heavy and throw in the “kill” zone. Easier said than done. But still intriguing clash of styles.

Fury can definitely hurt AJ. Fury is a b- in terms HW power, but he still can punch a bit.

I think Fury hopes AJ tries to compete with the wrestling & grappling,

AJ avoided it at all cost in Usyk 1 he claims because he wanted to outbox him & shows his boxing skill which is BOLL*X he avoided it because he is scared to death of running out of gas, Everyone & there dog told him he needed to do it in Uysk 2 & again he avoided it until the 9th & then he was a busted flush after one round of it against a smaller man,

Ever since Ruiz 1 AJ is scared stiff of fighting in close

If he grapples & wrestles with Fury he will be a sitting duck due to fatigue ,

Looking at AJ you would assume he is built for in close but he panics & tenses up, over thinks it & fatigues himself, Id love to see Fury's heat rate in the ring I'd imagine it doesn't change much from boxing to leaning, he is just so comfortable in there, he doesn't panic or get worried,

Fury's like a lad out doing a handy 5k just below 3/4 pace just ticking over , even when Wilder knocked him down he just gets up & continues as was ,

I don't think Fury will showboat at all , i think he will come out like the 2nd & 3rd Wilder fight just seek to destroy get the job done & then talk all hte crap he wants ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

None....

You obviously misinterpreted me....his demeanor, behavior, changes of mind, retiring, un-retiring, retiring, un-retiring....

Strikes me as a flake.....no crime. Just from what I have seen/heard of him the past few months, I'd not be at all surprised if he flaked here and the fight doesn't get made...

TBF it was pretty logical interpretation from me from the post. Yeah hes highly strung but usually does as he says when it comes to boxing. Anyway, fury will be heavy fav, would be a disaster if joshua won as that prick hearn would never shut up. If fury toys with him, joshuas head will be ruined forever and should prob walk away.

I don't think it was logical. Anyway, we cleared it up. Fury is juts a very up and down volatile and dynamic type guy.

That's what I get from him, and regarding this huge fight it requires maturity and commitment and professionalism and integrity. I just think he may not go ahead with it.

"Recently," he has been coming across as a bit of a messer.

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

He likes taking the piss outta hearn(which i like) so wouldnt surprise me in this instance if he did back track and wait for the real fight with usyk.

People say fury is a messer and goes back on his word but it’s all promotion and headline grabbing, think of everything he needs to promote he’s got the boxing his drink his clothing and his Netflix series so anything in the media is good for business

he’s also bipolar which could explain a lot

I think Aj may have taken this fight too quickly and he won’t be ready so I’m expecting either to pull out

I think he wants a warm up fight before Usyk

Fury's not silly he knows he isn't doing himself any favour not fighting for 8 or 9 months & then getting in against Usyk , Especially someone like Usyk where its imperative that your sharp & on point

He needs to keep sharp and busy ,

I’m not sure I see Joshua pulling out as right now it’s a megafight and he gets a fortune in the split. In the build up he can point to his own bravery for getting straight back into it at the very top end even when Usyk himself couldn’t. Pulling out puts that all at risk and he doesn’t make as much money against anyone else. Also if Usyk were to win he’s not getting a third fight with him so he’s back waiting for a chance at a belt. He doesn’t want to be in it too much longer either and a ko lose to Wilder would likely be game up for him so I think there’s too much to lose for him. Fury could underestimate him, could arrive too heavy lots could happen to give him a shot in that fight and Fury’s point about him being match fit is right. He lost again and talked serious shite but he banished some demons cos he did much better in the fight and gave a fair account of himself

when has fury being too heavy been an issue ? He was weight drained against Otto wallin and got in trouble that night, if anything being heavy is his where he’s comfortable.

i still think it’s weird the fight is being pitched for Cardiff when the big money is abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I suppose they'll get 80000 in Cardiff vs 5000 in Saudi.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bit of an issue last time out against Wilder. He def didn’t plan to need the bell at any stage. There were a few times in that fight Wilder really got to him. By heavy I’m talking about coming in underprepared it could happen. Smart money would be on Fury for sure but there could be lots of levellers; cut, walk on to a shot, head not right

Fury starts favorite. But Fury himself is no fool. He has said that it’s always a risk when two big men throw leather. He’s well aware AJ hits hard enough to hurt him, or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why would Joshua pull out? He'll never get a fight like this again.

I imagine him and Hearn did a little dance around their respective kitchens when it became apparent this fight would happen.

Advertisement