Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

And what should the "sheep voters" do when the next election comes?

It is understandable why there was no limit set at the start, as it would send very confused messages. However as it also took place at the same time as a Post-Brexit UK and Britain threatening to move asylum seekers to Rwanda means we are no dealing with a lot more than just the Ukrainian refugees. Really, the only issue here is the Property crisis, which the Ukrainian crisis magnifies. But the Irish people love the property crisis and want it to continue, so nothing's going to change there.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

News report with,

Oleskii Chernyshov, Ukrainian Minister of Communities and Territories

Regarding reconstruction of war torn areas, at end of segment he expresses his wish for Ukrainians to return to their homeland, but accepts some people who have fled will never do so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2022/09/13/ukraine-asks-for-long-term-commitment-on-reconstruction-from-eu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We have nowhere for them to go. So initially I think the open arms approach was the right one to have we have no long term solution. I have some friends who are working closely with housing/welfare payments etc and they have said so far the majority want to go home.

Housing is one thing, but I am concerned about how much this is costing the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Poland has taken in about 2 million Ukrainian Germany 1 million, Czechs about 500,00 , Russia 2.5 million (mostly forcibly deported),

But it's not just Ukrainans there's been a Large surge in other Nationals seeking a new life which is adding to already under pressure systems

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Who ever they are, they will get my vote. FFG have made the housing fiasco a whole lot worse with unlimited immigration to a.non EU country . ANYBODY would do a better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But your post seemed to suggest policy on Ukranian refugees would be influencing many people to move their vote away from the government parties. If, as seems highly likely, the main destination for those votes will be Sinn Fein, how is that likely to improve things on immigration policy, from your POV?

When the time comes and FFG are on the ropes I am sure SF and the other parties will say so what ever it takes. Unlimited immigration is an easy vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It was the right thing to do when the whole country was at risk of being overrun by Russia

It was the right thing to offer sanctuary to refugees. Definitely yes. However, at no stage, was it the right thing to announce a no cap on those allowed entry. All before any practical/feasible plans were put in place to house, and provide for them. I think we're still waiting on practical/feasible plans to house and provide for them.. all the while the no cap remains in place.

This government loves to make the glorious gestures to gain international acclaim, but they're extremely short on any consideration of how to meet their promises, or who is going to pay for it all. Sure, it'll be grand.

And the nutty thing is that all of these politicians will get away without any repercussions for their decisions, and virtue signalling. It'll be the average Irish person who will have to pay, or face shortage of services. This country is such a joke at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Yes obviously. There has to be a breaking point. Unless you don't think a million extra would break Ireland. Now you'd argue a million wouldn't come, but that's what limits are there for in case the word spreads in Ukraine that there are no limits to Irish hospitality.

Remember what happened when Merkel invited the Middle East to Europe. A lot of young men took her up on the offer. A few million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's Ukrainians and the others coming daily who tend to young males Asians and Africans and not just for the Short term ,they have already told us 40,000 Ukrainans arrived in the first 6 months but haven't given the numbers for people who arrived here who aren't Ukrainian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ukrainian army has got Russian army on the run but we are still taking in 1000 Ukrainians a week for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Energy crisis on the way.

Housing crisis happing now.

Hospital waiting lists through the roof.

yet…. No limit…

88% of prison places full….

a food shortage being mooted

yet…. No limit…

because taxpayers don’t count, citizens don’t count…. Got a harp on your passport be prepared to be fûcked headfirst under a bus.. never have the political classes, Martin, Varadkar et al. been so divorced from the realities, challenges of the citizens in this and of this country…steering us unsteadily and recklessly on this pathway to an uncertain future we are all on…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

If you say so Matchy, if you say so.

Let's get back to the topic at hand, if you wish to discuss this further please do so by PM. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

I don’t care where Ukrainians and other assorted foreigners live. I care only that Irish people have suitable housing. It’s madness that people are coming here, not being able to support themselves and taking up housing stock that should be used to house the indigenous people of this country.

Nobody should be able to move to this country unless they have the means to support themselves. Ukraine is the second largest country in Europe. The majority of it has remained untouched from war. This is where the Ukrainians should be. Not in Irish hotels at the expense of the Irish taxpayer whilst simultaneously being hooked up to the welfare gravy train.

This simply cannot continue. We’ve taken in over 100k new arrivals this year. The borders must be shut or we will see serious strife in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Nope Virtue is all it is. No plan No end in sight. Most were supportive in the outset of the war. France seems to be getting away with not to many. My advice on this thread is don't take the bait there was a concerted effort last time. Some countries are starting to turn off the taps after finding out about Ireland. Calls from Ukraine for Ukrainians to Return.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

Every single last one of them are me feiners,just want to ride on the eu gravy train when they know the time on the Irish one is coming to a end

First sensible post of the thread in my opinion.

All the Ukraine situation has done is magnify the spotlight on the property crisis.

There have been tents dotting the length of the Grand Canal for many years before this crisis occurred. Once again, I will point out the banning of bedsits as being shortsighted. Students finding accomodation has been an issue every year for many years now. The cost of accomodation, because it's in short supply has been an issue for many years.

A modern, relatively well off country like Ireland should have a surplus of accomodation, not constantly have "barely enough", even before a crisis like Ukraine occurs.

The cynic in me would say it serves land and property owners well, for there to constantly be a deficit in available homes, which allows prices to rise - far above inflation rates allowing for healthy profits.

As an aside, every Ukranian I have spoken to, can not wait to go home. They want the war over so they can go home to safety. A few will stay, of course, but the vast majority will return once the conflict is over.

You've started my day with a laugh. FFG spending money on this scale due to “virtue”. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

These Ukrainians will be in jobs and paying tax well before many of our 'own homeless'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't see how unlimited immigration is an easy vote.

Maybe it was before people read stories of nursing homes being shut, students being denied accommodation which was already a huge issue and many more things.

If a party came in now with a policy to end this madness they would be very popular.

Yet Shane Coleman is on Newstalk this morning shouting down and interrupting anyone who says this massive influx of immigrants needs to stop. He insists its good for the country as we have a shortage workers. He says our problem is "one of wealth"! People here do not want to work in low paid jobs so we need to keep importing workers from anywhere to do these low paid jobs!

That wealth he speaks of is Tech/MNC money that ends up in America. Think apple.

The defenders are making some money from this, the lobby groups like NGOs ect, and now Hotels have a slice of that pie. More immigration for those mean more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why and how is where Ukrainians end up a) after we kick them out or b) if we stop taking them in, our problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Of course any sensible person would be very sympathetic to Ukraine. But millions of people have left there, it's only common sense that Ireland can only take a certain amount of those.

Unfortunately it has been somewhat botched, there are way too many in some areas and very few if any in others. There are over 300 in the small village of Ballyvaughan in North Clare, there are no facilities for them there, just a hotel. It'd be fairly grim living in a hotel room there in October/November and it'd be hard to get employment there at that time without a car, and there wouldn't be many ways of passing the time either.

It seems the idea of people opening their homes to refugees never really came to pass, that was the best way of facilitating large scale arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, heard that. Someone texted in that we don't have the infrastructure for the current population let alone another 500,000. Coleman said was rubbish, that we had one of the lowest density populations in Europe, as if you could just start building houses in fields. The professor who was on suggested we look to bring in non EU immigrants who would be prepared to sleep 3 or 4 to a room for low wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

On the subject of work - a lot of the businesses that would employ Ukrainians (cafes, restaurants etc) are in danger of shutting down now due to energy costs. I know of some that have already gone, many more are at risk. If the situation gets worse, there will be no jobs needing filled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Some of them have actually taken up 2 jobs. Figures from August.

More than 7,100 Ukrainian refugees are now in employment in Ireland, filling more than 8,000 jobs, according to the latest official figures. There are 7,155 people from Ukraine at work in at least one job, with around half filling jobs in the hospitality sector which has been suffering post-pandemic staff shortages

Advertisement