Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Just have to register them before the picnic each ticket allows 2 under 12s in with an adult

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I presume you just select wknd camping even tho your not actually camping?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I didn’t have to register. I bought my general camping ticket and brought 2 kids straight in. We weren’t camping though

I think you are asked to register but a lot don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tbh I bought my ticket from a lady on DoneDeal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

It could imply that the older demographic (with the cash to spend six days after EP finishes that most kids don't have) aren't rushing out to buy. The energy crisis could also be playing a part and the next few months will see a major reduction in non-essential spending.

Not selling out quickly should also work in our favour with FR forced to up their game for the lineup if it's not yet sold out before the announcement. Though I could see them releasing a couple of names to get the final sales done before Xmas. They'll want the cash in the bank as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

“€15.80 SQ *CENTRAL FUSION Dublin IR “

xMany!!

God they could have charged me anything, including duplicates, nothing I can do about it!

Post edited by Fatfrog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I mentioned in this post that some of what I was planning to comment on had changed over the course of Sunday. It’s probably changed again since the festival. As that section was four paragraphs long, and didn’t really go anywhere, I’ve cut it out. Slightly later than planned, a few final comments on the festival and what has been discussed remain.

My first EP was in 2016 so I’ve only known it as a commercial pig. As a result, I have a more positive outlook on the current situation than some of the negative commentators on here. I only made it to Oxygen once, when I worked there in 2010. As I was working, I was only able to wander around the site for two/three hours but even in that short span of time there was plenty of unpleasant things to see. If you limit your view of EP to the Main Arena, Hendrix, and Warhol I can see some justification to the comparisons. However, the comparison was more accurate in 2019. The rearranging of the arena this year created more space and removed many of the problems present in 2019.

I think the litter and waste management issue is also improving. I can remember walking between stages in 2016 on a carpet of discarded plastics cups, that wasn’t the case this year. My view is probably also helped by not having to walk through the middle of any general campsites. My main issue with waste management is that most of the bins had non-recyclable labels on them. This was particularly annoying in the arena and pre-security check area because it’s unlikely that anything non-recyclable is being binned in those areas.

The line-up certainly had less depth this year. In other years I’d have two or three sets of alternate acts to see at any point. This year I probably only had one alternate line-up, but I haven’t looked properly to confirm that. Having said that, I feel the set of acts I did see was the strongest of any of the years I’ve been (I haven’t done a side-by-side comparison to be sure). Most of the acts picked themselves as the obvious choice with any conflicts easily resolved. I also didn’t really look at the Mindfield line-up which would have filled in the sparse early afternoon.

Someone mentioned that they felt EP has lost the eclectic line-up it had in the early years. They must define eclectic differently to me because it seems like the perfect word to describe a line-up including: 100 gecs, Mick Flannery & Susan O’Neill, Khruangbin, Glen’s theatre thing, Pixies, Megan Thee Stallion, Jeff Mills, Kneecap, and CMAT to name a few. I’m sure we could create multiple similar lists.

There was also a comment about early picnics having a golden thread which tied all the acts together. I’ve probably misunderstood the point being made, but is that not still the case? You just have to pick your genre/thread. While I haven’t done this, I reckon you could pick a broad genre (Trad/Folk, Pop, Indie/Rock, Electronic) and fill your day with just that music.

In relation to Terminus, the planning licence limits it to the same hours as the Main Arena stages. While that is up to 2am on the Friday and Saturday nights, I’d assume they stop it at the same time as the main stage to avoid a large surge moving up through the site, cutting across everyone else trying to exit.

Genghis (#5725) and Seathrun66 (#5976) covered most of the rest that I might have commented on. I’m sure anything I’ve missed will come up in the 2023 thread at some point so we can discuss it then. I do have some more comments around the line-up, but they’ll need some research. I won’t be doing that until October when I’m finished with upcoming festival listening.

As a final point, I thought the submissions / observations section of the planning report was interesting:

Fully agree on the recycling and waste points. Some progress but much more to be done. When we can separate our waste at home it's not a great stretch to do so for four days at a festival. Most of this is down to the individual (and inebriation is no excuse) but FR have to play a much greater role in ensuring greater recycling and the removal of tents. It's a lengthy topic (and suitable for discussion on the 2023 thread) but the possibility of a tent tax remains and they can compel Pink Moon to take their tents down for re-use rather than destroy them. Given the option I'd kick out Pink Moon for their waste and treatment of employees, but such a move isn't imminent.

And I generally agree about the lineup still being eclectic but there were some clear missing factors this year. We've lost the traditional Sunday afternoon reggae act (also absent in 2019 and a big loss given the previous appearances of Toots, Jimmy Cliff, Steel Pulse, The Congos, The Wailers, Inner Circle and others), there were no eighties pop acts (we've had at least one per year since 2005) and no significant trad/folk acts (Christy Moore has played twice, Paul Brady, Laura Marliing, Kila, etc) which was a big absence in a year when the reformed Scullion and Stockton's Wing are touring. No metal again (only ever seen one such act at EP) but Naked Lungs sure gave it a blast. There were no African acts (we've previously had Rachid Taha, Baaba Mall and others) and bar a couple of Australian bands plus a smattering of North Americans we had very little outside Ireland and the UK, though Priya Ragu was a great exception. Nothing else from mainland Europe when we've often had a smattering of acts from Germany, Norway, France, Iceland, etc. It all felt a bit homogenously monocultural.

I think that some of this will change for the good next year and 2022 may be seen as a blip in terms of post-lockdown adjustment. However I think the greatest criticism of the lack of eclecticism here is the preponderance of unchallenging, soulless generic pop but that may be a general trend. How did music get to be so bloody safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭fourmations

OOOPS. OLD NEWS, I SEE IT MENTIONED HERE YESTERDAY

alas.... end of an EP era or at least a change...

from Facebook........

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the retirement of our singer and great friend Dave McGuinness from These Charming Men at the end of 2022.Dave would like extend his love and gratitude to all the fans for their support over the last 10 years. Fear not as the show must go on. We are holding auditions for a new lead singer. If you have tons of live vocal experience and can impersonate Morrissey’s vocal and stage persona, you could be the new frontman in These Charming Men! Only serious applicants should apply to info@thesecharmingmen.com

NB Applicants must have live experience and know all the The Smiths back catalogue.

@Stillill42 ...you game? you have hair! thats a shoe in that a lot of us dont have!

Post edited by fourmations on

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Re. Terminus....

Could they move the entry and exit of Anachronica to the old Oscar Wilde field to create more of a connection to the two of them?

Admittedly, it might change the dynamic of Freetown / Providencia. But splitting the crowd between the 2 might be good if they could get the planning go ahead for later use of Terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Another question on Terminus, maybe it's been answered before. It has essentially replaced the Little Big tent albeit in a different location and a bigger capacity - but the LBT went from around mid day or early afternoon until at least 2 or 3am. Why are the hours for Terminus so different? Freetown seemed like an area of huge potential that was largely wasted in 2019, it sounded like a similar story this year.

The cleaning teams really do a great job.

There is probably still a lot more effort required from some punters, but it is hard to get people to use bins if they are not there or if they are overflowing.

I remember seeing some behind the scenes stuff from Glastonbury where they were processing the waste/recycling on-site and it was pretty impressive.

It is probably one of the things that gets festivals a lot of bad press. They could turn that around with some extra effort.

@CoffeeImpala, did you cycle there and home?

How did that work out? Route, gear, bike storage, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭rubick

I think they had this in 2019, but it caused a bottleneck. I remember trying to get through to Anachronica from the bottom of Freetown but they had closed the route and we were redirected around the long way (Eco/Chaplin - Joplin Junction, Warhol/Hendrix).

Remains a mystery as to why they don't have it on earlier/later - I can only guess licensing issues. Seems a huge waste, especially as there's a massive bar there too which wasn't open until Terminus itself opened.

They definitely need seperate Entry and Exits. I was thinking one in each corner of The Oscar Wilde field. But looking at the layout, it looks too awkward.

Did they have turnstyle type entry points at the entrance? I havent been in there in a few years. I must go back and refresh my memory.

I can only assume that Terminus closes alongside the main stages to ensure it's not a focus for 30k/40k people at 1am. The dance stage that was open later became a problem at Woodstock '99 and Glastonbury struggled with overcrowding in the SE Corner until they moved Arcadia to its current position. The Salty Dog, Rave in the Woods, Body & Soul main stage, Trenchtown and some other small stuff can only take a certain number of people. It wouldn't currently be safe to have it open at 2am and thus they need more stuff to distract people in the main arena til 2am. Main stage dance acts on Fri and Sat would be a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Yes, I cycled the full round trip this year. I think it's best way to get to EP. I'm not really covered by the traffic plan so can pick whatever route I like.

Going to EP I went Celbridge, Clane, Prosperous, Kildare, Kildangan, Vicarstown, and then Stradbally. This route was hillier than I remember it being in 2018. With food breaks and picking up cans in Stradbally I had my tent up six hours after leaving home.

On the way back I went on to the canal at Vicarstown, came off at Monasterevin, R445 to Newbridge, backroads to Sallins and then Ponsonby by Bridge where I got back on the canal. Off the canal at Hazelhatch, as the canal isn't surfaced between there and the 12th lock, and on to Lucan by road. I had few more close passes than I'd like on this route. Usually when you're carrying luggage on the bike drivers give a lot more space when overtaking.

I have new routes picked out for 2023 which I think should be better. I'll need to do a trial run on them once the greenway works are completed either side of Monasterevin.

I had a little difficulty getting my bike into the site in 2019 so I bought a trailer for the bike over lockdown. As it's a bit awkward to walk with the bike and trailer, I locked the bike to a road sign outside the paintball entrance, put the panniers on the trailer, and strolled down to the wristband exchange and on to eco. I then went back for the bike, cycled down the road to the Silver campsite, and walked the bike into Oscar Wilde from there. I had pitched my tent beside a few silver birch to which I locked the bike and trailer.

Sounds great. I was looking at the route completely on the canal path to Vicarstown before. I would love to do it, but I'm not sure if I could force myself to pack light enough for the weekend though.

I went as far as Robertstown a few months ago and the unpaved sections are hard. Must push myself a bit further the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Fair play to you, I'd say a cold beer tasted nice after that cycle and putting your tent up.

For anyone interested Fire in Cairo, Cure cover band, are playing a few gigs in October

Oct 14th Ruby Rooms - Castlebar w/These Charming Men

Oct 21st Fibber Magees - Dublin

Oct 28th Set Theatre - Kilkenny

Oct 31st Crane Lane - Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The set gig might be a go'er.

Are they any use?

I see Karma Police are touring later in the year too. I'll definitely hit that one, they look savage from the few clips I've seen.

Have never seen them but might hit the fibbers gig

Interestingly Night and Day Festival not accepting cards or cash at bars only tokens. Confirmed a draught pint is €6 which better than EP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭endainoz

Lack of cards could be a wifi issue, not taking cash might just be a case of convenience. Sounds like an awkward thing to manage. Saw a few images of people at vantastaval, looks like they have great weather for it today.

Cash at the food stalls. Tokens will be interesting to see how it works. Have pre-ordered some to avoid any delays in getting drink on day 1

• Advertisement

I’ve used tokens at Primavera Sound and BST in Hyde Park. A mess in both cases and the festivals gave up on them. Queues for tokens (you’ve kind of avoided that but will still have to queue to receive them) and you either end up with too many or too few. The unnecessary queuing will frustrate many but it may not have a heavy drinking contingent so that may help. Hope you enjoy it.

Advertisement