Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's been happening on and off since this all started.

It's probably hosted by some small service provider with limited capacity and the site is getting hammered by people looking to find out about the school.

Before this I doubt many people had ever heard of the place.

It’s been like that a while. If you search for Wilson’s hospital admission policy or whatever you might have a chance.

Current Status of his challenges

This is a list of everything he wants an injunction for and the status of each. Looks like 4 injunctions requested in total

To restrain the school’s board of management from holding its meeting on Wednesday

Status: Dismissed as no longer relevant as the hearing is cancelled until Enoch comes out of the joy

To restrain the school from placing him on, or continuing, administrative leave;

An injunction against the school’s disciplinary process;

Status: Dismissed as no longer relevant as the hearing is cancelled until Enoch comes out of the joy

To restrain the school from dismissing him. 

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

"She just can't catch a break since she was sacked"

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah thank you. Your report is classic 🤣

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This whole thing only moves forward when Enoch agrees to abide by the Injunction.

It's as simple as that. He can dance around and put forward poorly constructed pseudo legal arguments that will get tossed by every Judge he brings them in front of all he likes.

But absolutely nothing happens until he cops on and behaves like an adult and accepts the terms of the injunction and allows the disciplinary process to work through.

If it's as wrong as he thinks , then he'll win and get his job back (and probably damages too).

But I think that Enoch doesn't actually want to end as it means that he'll lose the public pulpit for his views.

• Advertisement

Was the email from the then principal mentioned in court? I'm looking for a link to it.

Possibly, articles only included excerpts from the proceedings. However, if you are looking for the content of the email itself, you are unlikely to get it as I don't believe its been made public in the same way the principals report has not been made public, but references have been made to it.

Given Enochs assertion that these things reflect very poorly on him its unlikely he'll want them to ever be released but I guess oyu could always ask him. I believe if you send a letter to Mountjoy he'll probably get it

Of course "they reflect poorly on him" - They are accounts of his alleged extremely bad behaviour.

Does he expect a disciplinary report to reflect well on him???

It's such a nonsense argument - "Your honour , the evidence of my crimes makes me look guilty , I'd like it to be excluded"

"Nonsense" is being very polite in your description

• Advertisement

I would definitely include 4.

I would seriously question a school that would have hired someone like Burke in the first place, given his public profile and connections.

Unfair as that may seem, it's well known that employers check out potential employees' social media accounts. Whomever hired him, must have known his leanings.

I find the verbatim reporting of his court performances in full an unusual step for rte or the times to take.

i cannot recall this being the norm and im wondering why they arent just summarising or giving the quick version as they do for any other person up before the court

Likely to head off some of the misinformation that so far has been associated with this case

Hard to make stuff up or infer what might have been said when it's printed word for word

I knew I had referenced it earlier in thread so a bit of searching and voila. Post 1509 by dacor. (Source?) I think the contents will come out in time anyway. I was more interested in when it was sent.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Firstly - It's of interest and they want the clicks

Secondly - It may be an attempt to reset the perception of what this about, lots of people that only read article headlines got the wrong impression on why Enoch Burke is in Prison. Providing the details of his largely spurious court-room antics helps ensure that people are very clear on why Enoch Burke is where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I would disagree that every infraction has to go through the same processes regardless. Depending on the seriousness of the incident there can be an extra thing like suspension.

Eg in my job I do something wring in my work or not do something on time I can be talked to however if I bulied someone or a fight then due to the nature on what went on I would be suspended .

Exactly - There's a massive difference between an employee getting sanctioned for too many late arrivals and an employee being caught stealing or whatever.

Minor infractions warrant a quiet chat with the manager in the first instance followed by steadily increasing penalties if the infractions continue (like the lates above)

But if you do something very bad you go straight to the end of the process which involves suspensions and dismissals etc.

Any implication that the school is culpable in this sorry spectacle is unwise imo. There are all sorts of logistical reasons as to why a school may have hired someone without people having to imply fault. These have been widely mentioned in the media since the introduction of the two year PGDE qualification. Discretion is the better part of valour on what you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Why do people get to use religion in court as an excuse? It’s crazy in this day and age that belief in a sky fairy is tolerated.

If he abides by the court injunction then he will get out and can have his hearing with the school.

Such nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sky fairy beliefs have certain protections enshrined in law - unfortunately.

The sad thing here is that if Burke can find one little thing wrong that the school did in relation to his suspension, then he could be on to a winner. That's a big if though. It doesn't look like the school did anything wrong at this stage.

• Advertisement

Procedural challenge is common enough but I don’t think it could remove the process. Maybe lead to a replay of stages. He doesn’t seem to be looking at that side from media reports.

Actually, the situation is completely different. The school suspended him so they were obliged to pay him.

However he has now effectively sent himself to prison so there appears to be absolutely no need for the school/taxpayer to pay him while he's locked up.

As soon as he purges his contempt, he will be available to teach (or continue his suspension) so can be returned to the payroll.

there appears to be absolutely no need for the school/taxpayer to pay him while he's locked up.

Any decision like that would only occur as part of disciplinary hearings which are on hold until he frees himself from his self-imposed incarceration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Really? some of the posts on this thread show that it is actually quite easy.

There is misinformation, agendas, exaggeration, drama, misreading, deliberate misreading, information direct from media, information from wherever, answer the reply you hoped you’d get rather than the one you got, political twitching, personal abuse, death wishes, rape wishes, ….. typical social media thread. Apart from that it’s fine. Mrs Lincoln fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"I don't agree with it therefore it's media misinformation."

It's fine, Mr Trump, fine.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

He knows exactly what he is doing, from what I read on Reddit (if it’s to be believed). He does not teach the student and would normally have very little contact with them. They are collection donations from the US, by the end of this they could be sitting on a nice pile of cash. He's probably making more sitting in the Joy than he would as teacher even though he is still been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bit of an impasse - Enoch won't agree to terms of injunction and school can't hold disciplinary hearing.

Could drag on for quite a while and every time it comes up, not great publicity for the school. You think they'd want to resolve as soon as possible to get it out of the news but caught in a bit of a trap.

• Advertisement

Enoch is exactly where he wants to be for now.

He'll keep coming back to court with spurious legal arguments based on the Religious wing of the "Free man of the land" school of law and keep getting knocked back.

All the while getting donations from various US based Evangelical funds to help him in his "fight against the evils of the world, threatening their way of life".

I suspect that once the courts are fully back in session you might see his current open ended stay in jail converted into a fixed term stay by a Judge.

I can't see the courts allowing him to just keep up the charade indefinitely.

If he continues to refuse to engage properly with the process, then a judge may decide that a formal sanction of a jail sentence is appropriate and simply sentence him to 3 months in Jail or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement