Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

"President Putin".....President Putin?

I know that's technically true, but it's been a while since I've seen that monstrous cancer onto the face of humanity be referred to on here with a title that would make him sound like some kind of statesman.

"President" is the title a democracy ideally gives to a person who has the consensus of the electorate and will do their best for them. It's a title that has taken a lot of abuse in the past few years alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Looks like its not all plain sailing for the Russian navy in the black sea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

In fairness, getting rid of Donegal mightn't be the worst! Always contrary up there when it comes to referendums and have a big bill in the offing for 'restitution'. We could hand both problems to the Brits.

But back on topic, depending on the winter in it and current progress towards Kherson, I think we could see a slow strangulation of supplies to and bombardment of Crimea. It might be easier to make progress in that south & south easterly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Obviously they would need a pretext to do that. Would they be justified invading if we were sheltering terrorists that attack their people and they requested our help to arrest the terrorists and find the arms dumps and our government refused. Would they not consider us a rogue nation? Would their domestic population demand their government act? Suppose we made it mandatory for protestants in the border counties you mention to only speak Irish, would the population across the border feel insecure and might they make the fate of their brethren an issue with the English government?

Or maybe it's the 1940s and you declare yourself to be a neutral country and follow that code strictly. Would they be justified in sanctioning you (i.e. cut of your access to coal and market for beef). Would you allow them overflight rights of Donegal and Leitrim to carry our war operations in contravention of that neutrality? If the Germans (substitute NATO countries) were about to invade or providing substantial aid to the terrorists attacking their enclave, would they be justified in invading Ireland? Obviously Ireland of the 1940s was in no position to fight either side, how many lives would you sacrifice?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Was a similar (edit: no, worse I think) head-melter (or at least head-scratcher) in another of Pa ElGrande's posts, about Putin and Biden's "terms" of office as if comparing apples to apples.

The longer this goes on the deeper we get pulled into the conflict with Russia and I reckon this can drag on another two years to the end of both Putins and Bidens terms

🤡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That's hardly a bulletproof air stair he's using is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You are all over the place.

It appears that Ukraine has air superiority in more places these days than Russia, which is a big turn of events.

A lot of your post is off the cuff with no facts to bear.

The thing is, Ukraine has more time in Kherson than Russia. If the winter sets in, how prepared are the poorly trained conscripts willing to freeze when they are low on rations, winter gear and ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hometruths_real

it wouldn't surprise me if it was.... very different arrival to Xi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Russia seems to be losing a lot more jet's lately. Either they're taking more risks to support troops or Ukrainian air defense has really improved.

I used to look at the Kherson battle and think Ukraine should try take the north and north west first before encircling the city for an attack.

But the Russians seem heavily dug in all along those lines with big numbers. Maybe it's better they instead focus on a direct breakthrough from the south where there's the least distance to travel. Maybe attack the city first before worrying about the north.

I'd imagine the issue is the open fields gives the Ukrainians narrow paths to move through and if they move in large numbers but get help up for any length of time they'll get bombed to bits from Russian artillery on the other side of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

And the innocent explanation, a bog standard traffic accident......they do happen, especially when a large Nr of vehicles are maneuvering together. I've seen them, and especially when civilian vehicles get into the mix.

• Advertisement

Also, if they drive anything like their Russian neighbors, a very common occurrence. Do a YouTube search for Russian driving, and you'll start to wonder why they even bother with traffic lights....or road markings even...

Nah, that's just a covered stair in case of rain. Makes it a little more "fancy" in airports that can't be arsed to build jet-bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think retaking Crimea will be quite far down the road if it ever happens. It's taking quite a long time to make inroads on the Russian positions on the right bank of the Dnieper and they have had limited supplies for the past 2 weeks. If and when they do retake Kherson, I just can't see them undertaking a crossing of the Dnipro when they can achieve similar results by attacking overland south of Zaphorizhia. Although, the Russians will have that part of the front well fortified, it would be much easier to break through the lines than to attempt a crossing of the Dnipro further south. There will be long battles to secure Melitopol and Berdyansk, before heading west. Only then might the Ukrainians contemplate a river crossing in order to split the Russian forces and draw some strength from their front lines. And even then, they might never attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

Used to live there Rawr........and whatever you do, don't delay, or God Forbid actually cause any big black 4 x 4's travelling 2 or more vehicles to stop, and the occupants to get out to you.......

Melitopol is key to much of this I feel. If they can take back there, they'll probably break up that "Land Bridge" to Crimea.

Crimea itself is a daunting objective. Historically it has been a nightmare to invade. The "Little Green Men" of 2014 was one of the very few examples of successful invasion there in modern times. The Nazies had to use some of their most destructive munitions over a very long and protracted battle to take the place during WWII.

This all of course depends on the resolve of the Russians. Losing Crimea puts an end to their Black Sea fleet (what's left of it anyway). They'd have to build a new naval base from scratch in Sochi or near Rostoc, but all of that would be withing Javelin-range of a Ukrainian Crimea. They can't afford to lose it, but can they still put up enough of a fight to stop an invasion? That's what I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

@Yurt2 "The truth is out there" - so is Putin.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

There are estimated 25,000 regular Russian troops in Kherson. Most of the army the Ukrainians took out in Kharkiv were conscripts a lot were from Luhansk. Here is an example of Ukrainian air superiority forced to fly under the radar. If they had air control it would make seizing Kherson much easier. You will also know they are changing the battle space using flooding to impede the Ukrainians supplies in the pocket they are building. Kherson is a knock down battle of attrition, the Ukrainians have already sapped a lot of men trying to take it.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Where does it mention in that article that the Kherson offensive has killed 4,000 Ukrainians?

Oh look team russia.

So they supposedly have 25000 men in Kherson,they Lost 50,000 men in 7 months. How long does it take to remove a large number of that 25,000 ,oh and talks of russians surrendering enmass is still ongoing ,.

So any thing to back up your claims

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Putting aside the liberation of Kharkiv and just looking at Kherson counter offensive

Ukrainians captured 450 sq km around Kherson alone in this offensive in last two weeks

for comparison Russia only managed 450 sq km across whole front in July and August (remember Severodonetsk)

But hey who needs facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'd love to see the figures of how much land the Russians took since the begining and how much they have lost. They must have lost at least a third at this stage.

Attacking generally takes more casualties than defending. The terrain in Kherson is flat and open and the Russians had mapped out the areas in advance and successfully range in artillery strikes to devastating effect. (3 minutes in to the video below to get an idea). I have read other reports indicating the hospitals are full.

I do hope that Russian surrender is for real and happens. For one, of course it's a less bloody way to win this fight that avoids needless death. Another things is that, although the Russian army is choc full of war criminals, I feel that there is also a good few Russian kids in there who are as much victims of Putin and don't want to be there. They'd be safer under Ukrainian custody for the duration.

Finally, and more importantly, if Ukraine can be seen to be humane to their POWs; offering warmth, safety and a chance to call home to let the folks know you are ok...surrender might look like a decent option for those soon to face the Ukrainians. Might make the fight easier.

That is Ukrainian propaganda to demoralise the enemy for the last two weeks. By in large the Russians are holding in Kherson, the Russian command does not have a choice, they need that canal from the Dnipro to Crimea. By the way, cutting off water to civilians is a war crime. The Ukrainians cut the water supply to Crimea since 2014.

Under the provisions of the International Humanitarian Law, related to international armed conflicts[v] and non-international armed conflicts, it is prohibited “to attack, destroy, remove, or render useless objects indispensable to the survival of the civilian population, such as foodstuffs, agricultural areas for the production of foodstuffs, crops, livestock, drinking water installations and supplies and irrigation works“. The Rome Statute[vi] of the International Criminal Court defines “intentionally starving civilians as a method of warfare by depriving them of the materials indispensable to their survival” a war crime.

source

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Polar101

So, to continue the analogy from the previous page - if the UK conquered Donegal and Ireland refused to provide water to the new Donegal People's Republic, would Ireland be committing a war crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

apologies if already posted, but......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

And where in you're previous article is the 4000 dead Ukrainian troops? Is that the propaganda number?

Ukraine's Kharkiv offensive certainly did not take more casualties than the Russians.

On the Kherson front, that's more akin to a siege not a direct offensive. There's no major urgency as the Russians cannot effectively resupply, cannot charge forward and cannot flank. Grind them down so they surrender or swim!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement