Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks for that - tracks almost exactly with the way I've been feeling and thinking during sessions myself lately, actually. What you are describing is strength, I think - mental as well as physical, and a willingness to endure. Not everyone has the same quantities of this (I'm definitely lacking myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Here's the link if anyone feels like donating a couple of euro 😜

I am going to run my 3rd marathon on October 30th. This will be my 2nd Dublin marathon. I am half way through my training & it's going really well. I have chosen these 2 charities which mean a lot to me personally & really really help people in times of need & uncertainty. 

Any donations no matter how small will be greatly appreciated & help these 2 organisations to continue the already great work they do. 

Thanks so much💛

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congratulations on your public speaking E. Not an easy thing to do at all. Best of luck with fund raising too and well done for taking it on.

Thurs 1st Sept - W/U, 4*1K, C./d

Out after work, nice run.

Fri 2nd - EIM mixed run, 5*400,5*200,5*hills, C/d

Again headed out after work, nothing very memorable about this.

Sat 3rd - 80mins easy with surges

Had a little lie on then headed out for this run, nice easy pace.

Sun 4th - 60min progression(9:15 - 7:54)30min Tempo(7:06-7:17)C/d

Decided to head out to the park for this, beautiful morning out there. Passed by C early on with his group of runners, smile & a shout from me to say morning, he coped me as they went by but his friend waved & smiled straight away so I did feel silly🤣 The progression went well, enjoyed picking up the pace for each bit whilst keeping it controlled. Passed by a lot of friendly people this morning which was really nice. I was a little worried about the tempo on tired enough legs but decided not to stress too much & just take it loop by loop. Passed by J when I was completely in the zone, he was on the opposite side of the road so copped him last min but in enough time to shout morning & smile! Surprised myself with this run & am happy to say it never got too tough which is great!

Mon 5th - 60mins easy

Tues 6th - W/u, 3*2k,3*1k, C/d

Another run after work, felt good for this.

Weds 7th - 20mins easy, 8*1min Vo2 max(5:57-6:03)off 2 mins, 20 min easy

WFH today so got out at lunch time. Planned the 20mineasy so I would end up in the park I found a few weeks ago with the very smooth loop. Set off for the 1mins & really enjoyed hitting the paces. Turns out the loop was exactly the 3 mins I needed for the reps & recovery. Happy with this then did some of the 20mins easy on the grass.

Thurs 8th - EIM mixed run, 5*400,5*200,5*hills, C/d

Fri 9th - Easy miles with strides

Was only to do this if I could get out early so I made sure I got up & out before work. A very miserable morning but not cold. Happy just to shake the legs out.

Sat 10th - Rathoath half marathon - New PB 1:33:01(CHIP TIME)

Was at a family party last night but didn't drink, was home & all for 11:30 but took a while to fall asleep. I had laid everything out for the morning. Woke at 7 & went & had a bowl of cherrios. Pottered around for a bit then got myself dressed. Looked like a perfect morning for a race. Still wasn't exactly sure how I was feeling about this race, hadn't put too much emphasis on it & decided not to taper for it. With my training going so well I really just wanted to see where I was at in the middle of my marathon training on an honest course(especially as Antrim had measured short last year). Got there in plenty of time, really handy to find & the parking was great, right beside everything. Parked up & set off on a W/U. Got back to the car to change into my running top, which had my white feather & yellow ribbon for my dad pinned to the number like always! Put the super shoes on & off I went to use the loo then off to the start. Lined up near enough to the front & got chatting to a couple of men who I had heard saying they were aiming for a similar time to me. The announcer then informed us of the very sad passing of Thomas, which I had heard the night before. We observed a minutes silence & then we clapped, so so sad, RIP.

Miles 1 - 9(7:07,7:07,7:10,7:13,7:06,7:16,7:10,7:09,7:14)

Off we went & I settled into a nice pace, the man I had been chatting to was just ahead of me but decided to stick to my own pacing. I had thought if I could go between 7:07 - 7:10 for at least the 1st 7 or 8 miles I should be in good nick then reassess. Mile 2 saw me settle into a small group, 3 women ahead & 3 men behind me. One of the men settled beside me at about mile 3 and asked me a few questions about my target etc. He was a Raheny runner named Brian, he had been injured so was using today as more of a progressive run himself but he said he wasn't too sure how long he'd last at this pace. He was such a great help, very encouraging, I told him my plan to keep at the paces roughly till mile 8 as I wanted to be consistent & feel strong not like FD. He almost took on the role as my personal pacer, I went ahead a couple of times but he always got back to me & said I was doing great & was running really strong. I felt really good at this stage, taking on water at every water station as it was getting very hot. We passed by the 3 girls in front briefly then by mile 7 they overtook us again but Brian was encouraging anyone around us, really nice man. Just before mile 9 I decided I was going to pick up the pace as things were going really well for me. I thanked Brian & he wished me the best of luck & that he'd see me at the finish! Off I went & could still hear him in the distance behind me again offering support to others.

Miles 10 - 13(6:57,6:55,6:52,7:00,6:19(0.1) )

I felt good picking up the pace & was delighted to see I had past the 10miles faster than FD(1:10:46) this instantly gave me a lift. I remembered how sh!t I felt at mile 5 in FD & I was no where near that pain either mentally or physically. I don't really remember feeling like this was just too hard which was great, as I looked up ahead I could see people turning into the racecourse so knew there wasn't too long left but also knew this would be mentally tough because it was around the race course. People were cheering said brilliant running, keep going, almost there etc. The support was brilliant. At this stage I had well passed a few people I had my eye on at the start & this was a great feeling. As I entered onto the sand leading onto the racecourse I seen AMK on the opposite side, I shouted out to him & felt so bloody jealous that his race was almost over! This bit was defo the toughest part of the race, I knew I was slowing down(not by too much but to me it felt like I was walking) As I passed mile 12 I just thought oh god here's the suffering, for a few seconds I let the doubts in but quickly banished them! I knew timewise I was either on for a very similar time to Antrim if not better. I started picking up the pace as I seen the sand again so I knew it was almost over, as I ran onto the straight leading to the finish line I really picked up the pace & finished strong absoultely buzzing!

I got my medal & goody bag & ate my banana straight away whilst waiting to see Brian finish a couple of mins after, he came straight over to me & said well? I said yep a PB & he gave me a huge hug, delighted for me he was! I thanked him again then headed off to my car. Set off then for a C/D & bumped into AMK so he joined me & we chatted all things running which was really nice, I felt like the littlest person running beside him though🤣 Said goodbye then I set off for home with the biggest grin on my face!

Although getting a PB is always amazing, more than that I ran the race I really wanted to run. I stuck to my plan & played the waiting game, the 1st couple of miles were downhill so I could have went out fast but I didn't, I had the discipline to run a good well thought out race & for this I am so so proud. Getting a PB is just the icing on the cake really 🤗

Sun 11th - Easy miles

Still grinning I set off for this run later than usual as I'd had a few drinks with some friends the night before. I really enjoyed these easy miles & decided to run down by my dad, blew him a kiss & the biggest smile ever, his crazy running daughter still doing what she loves but doing it just that little bit better than before💛

Whilst all this is really positive I do know that the next few weeks are going to be tough & just because I did well yesterday it's no guarantee for the big day but I am going to work damn hard to be just as happy & proud on that day too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Well done on a great race at Rathoath. As you said, it’s a good honest course to see where your half marathon time is at. It was my fallback to enter it if Tullamore hasn’t gone to plan. Think you got the one good days weather in the week to run for it. Can relate to finding the last section the toughest, between finding the ability to see other people finish - but also because that lap of the race course is so bloody long. I remember when I ran it previously I got overally excited seeing the race course, pegged it forward only to suffer around the race course that was exposed to the wind! Your going from strength to strength and no doubt you are building some great confidence for it all.

Great stuff E, just the kind of race you need at this stage of the proceedings and how great to get a PB as well (not that I'm surprised). Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Fantastic E. Delighted you ran such a good race and that you are so proud of it. The best feeling ever! Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That was a complete joy to read , especially the Sunday.

Nothing to say other than a superb run. Well done you. Brilliant, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

those last 3 miles are fantastic - very well ran!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Such a strong finish. Congrats on the PB.

Four miles plus! Yes, a really powerful finish, lots of strength there.

Thanks all💛

Congrats on the PB and the brilliant run! That was a super read. You have come on so much this year even with a rocky patch earlier in the year. Much deserved for the consistent work you put in. Lovely confidence boost ahead of the main thing too 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on the PB. There is something really satisfying in going into a race with a plan and then being able to execute it. Such a strong finish. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done on your race. It reads like you were very strong throughout. It's great when a race goes so well like textbook, a real boost. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Absolutely stunning E. Cracking race report too.

Was chatting to S last night and was telling him how amazing I thought you were.

Plan to link up with the two of you on the 16th for a long one.

Thanks a mill C , nothing amazing about me haha!

Looking forward to catching up with you😊

Mon 12th - 5mile easy

Tues 13th - 10min easy, 10min Tempo, 5*1min Threshold to Tempo, 10 min Threshold, 10min easy

Did this run after work. Wasn't really sure how it would go, once I warmed up I got into the Tempo which is 7:06/7:17 for me, felt comfortable & made my way to my local little tarmac track I found😉Set off on the 1min Threshold(6:46/6:55) then the recovery was my tempo pace. The loop was perfect for these, really enjoyed them. Ran the 10 mins Tempo quite comfortably then finished with the easy miles. Was buzzing after this, great session! Cheers S😁

Weds 14th - 70mins easy with surges

Managed to get out for this at lunch time - not much to report!

Thurs 15th - W/u, 8*1k EIM, c/d

Headed out as soon as I could after work, slightly longer than my usual EIM 1k reps but felt good.

Fri 16th - W/u, 5*400, 5*200, 5*hills, c/d

A very familiar run at this stage of the plan, a nice run!

Sat 17th - 30min v.easy, 30 easy, 30 moderate, 30 HM, 30easy

Got out nice & early for this, the 30min moderate into the HM was a bit harder than I had expected but I managed to keep a consistent pace, slightly slower than I had thought I might manage but as S had said it was better to keep the 30 mins consistent than go too fast to keep the pace then dying off, so that is what I did - overall happy with how it went.

Went to Corkagh park for a 2k colour run with my grandson & my youngest daughter, highlight of my year I think!! It was brilliant, he loved every minute of it. Standing at the start line &I looked down at him with his face full of excitement he said "nana I'm sooo excited, I'm gonna run a race like you" well my heart just melted💛 It was so well organised & such a lovely day that we sat down in the grass & enjoyed some food from the markets there!

The day was topped off by heading out & having a few drinks watching a band(as we were supposed to head to see Aslan but that had been cancelled due to Christy being unwell) A nice way to finish off the day with a bit of dancing😄

Sun 18th - Easy miles

Thankfully I didn't have too much of a hangover. Headed over to the Park & met S. It was a beautiful morning & the miles passed by so quickly whilst having the chats, always great having company😊

Mon 19th - Rest Day

Tues - 20th - W/u, EIM 8*1k,C/d

Again another nice run after work, getting used to the longer miles now mid week!

Weds 21st - W/u, 20min Tempo, 800m jog, Mona fartlek, C/d

Got out at lunch time, great benefit of working from home! The Tempo part went well, felt comfortable then headed into the park onto the tarmac track. Completed the Mona fartlek but think I went a bit too hard on the hard bits, I didn't feel in bits after but knew it was a fair bit faster & harder than any of the sessions I had done in previous weeks. Mentioned it to S & yes I had been a bit too eager but no real harm done once I ran very easy the next day as was in the plan for the week.

Thurs 22nd - Very easy miles

Tough day at home & in the office & even though this was probably the slowest & shortest run of the plan it felt like the worst one! Felt sluggish & like time was standing still! Suppose you won't enjoy them all!

Fri 23rd - W/u, 5*400, 5*200, 5*hills, c/d

Much better than yesterdays run!

Sat 24th - W/u, 60min moderate, C/d

A lovely morning for running, felt comfortable for this.

Sun 25th - 3hr Long run

Woke up early & had brekkie & got a few things sorted. Set off with my water & fuelling in my belt. Ate a natural fruit stick that I had been trying on previous runs, then decided to take a Gel at about 3miles, was using the sis beta fuel 40g ones with some water. Stuck pretty much to the route I did last time. Took another fruit stick then another gel a bit after. All felt really good until halfway then my stomach just didn't feel great so it started to feel harder & very uncomfortable. It felt like a much longer run home!! Happy I could still keep the pace as steady as possible but not a great way to feel on a long run. Ate out in a pub yesterday & had pork nachos so not sure if that could have contributed? Will really need to be careful nutrition wise now going forward as that would be my worst nightmare feeling like that in the Marathon. Anyway very happy to have another couple of weeks ticked off & almost at my target for my charities but of course anything extra would be a bonus😊

Super consistent stuff as always. I'd say the gel incident is just the stomach getting used to it - have you been practicing much? I actually had a similar feeling after taking a Maurten on my midweek session - thought I might have to jump into a bush but the feeling passed in a few minutes, thankfully. I'll be ingesting as many as I can afford between now and race day!

• Advertisement

Great stuff E, the colour run bit with your grandson is really special, what a moment.

It's gas, I was running through there yesterday and the remnants of it are still on the ground in places. Such a fun thing.

Agree with D, maybe it was simply that particular gel not working for you. That's the point of them though at this stage I suppose, practising what works. Maybe avoid the type of food you ate yesterday on Oct 29th just in case.

Mon 26th - Rest - 1st ever sports massage, battered but enjoyed it in a weird kinda way😉

Tues 27th - W/u, 4*1k, C/d

Legs felt surprisingly good for this, nice run after work.

Weds 28th - W/u, 3*12min threshold (6:46/55) off 4mins, C/d

This went well enough, got into a rhythm early on in the 1st 12mins, 2nd one went ok too but felt the 3rd one more as I was running into the wind. Overall happy with it & just got in the door before a really heavy shower.

Thurs 29th - Easy hour - 8:50 pace

Happy to just plod along listening to Tommy, Hector & Loretta podcast. I am hooked on this lately, anyone who see's me must think I'm the happiest little runner around😂 I do be in stiches laughing & have laughed out loud so many times. The stuff they talk about & between slagging & laughing at each other it really is a good tonic!

Fri 30th - W/u, 5*400, 5*200, 5*hills, c/d

It's mad how grief can just hit you. I have been thinking of my da all the time but not with sadness, then driving home from work I looked over at the shops where I would bring my da to get his pension & then looked at the time & it would have been then he would be ringing me to ask where I was & I'd say almost there da, make sure you're ready, I have a run after! My eyes all of a sudden got so stingy, the tears started flowing, 1st time in a good while but I obviously needed it. Was gonna listen to my da's playlist but decided to go with some more upbeat songs.

Another really good run, just felt fairly zippy for the whole thing. Loved that Titanium came on full blast just as I got lashed on, made me feel proper hard😉Then as I got to my hill reps, Ain't no mountain high enough came on, perfect timing!

Sat 31st - 6 miles V Easy - 9:29 pace

Procrastinated for most of the day, but was lovely to get out for this.

Sun 1st Oct - W/u, 75mins Tempo(7:06/15), C/d

Seen this on the plan & wasn't really too sure how to feel about it! I decided to head into the PP for this as it was a lovely morning. Parked up & set off on my warm up. It wasn't long before it kicked onto my tempo pace. Took a bit longer to get to the pace but was happy enough once I got a rhythm going. I passed a lot of runners this morning, lots of smiles & good mornings, great to see. I stayed at the 7:13/14/15 pace & was hoping for the last maybe 15/20 mins to be able to up the pace but that never happened, looks like I just had one gear this morning but that's ok, It was a really nice solid run & a step closer to my marathon😁

The excitement is really kicking in now especially seeing others run their marathons. I still have some hard weeks to go but so far it's all going according to plan! I'm still working hard to achieve my goal😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great week- smashing run that today. I must have been close to crossing you this morn!

Cracking week E, nice one.

I wouldn't mind having only one gear if it was one of your gears 😅 Super week, not too long to go now!

Aw thanks a mill, I know it sounds like self pity👀I just thought I might have been able to pick it up a bit but when I sat & thought about it I realised what a solid run it was😊

I am honestly soooo excited E😁

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

Whats the definition of ‘tempo’ on the plan, E? I mean that looks not far off 10+ miles at 10 mile pace. 🤔 Fantastic session if you just ground it out like that.

It's based on Tinman times using my 5k time. I'm happy it was a nice solid run😊

• Advertisement

Solid is one word for it. Frank Duffy must have been a real off day for ya!

Advertisement