Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property and inheritance taxes should be raised, says State’s commission on tax and welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Income tax individualisation

11.6 The Commission recommends a phased move towards individualisation of the Standard Rate Cut off Point as a step towards addressing disparities in the Income Tax system, facilitating increased employment, and decreasing the gap in the employment rate between men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Recommendation 7.2 will further reduce liquidity in the property market, making it very difficult for people to move home. It is completely impractical.

If someone buys a house today at €500k, and sells it in 5 years for €1m, they will be facing a capital gains tax bill, which would hamper them from trading up or if trading down, reduce what is affordable for them. It is a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Absolute scum the government are just so they can look great to their EU buddy's let's ride the middle classes ( that's a joke) keep funding NGO's and keep taking more and more into this country. Can't even let the house to your kids without the government takinga big chunk in taxation.

Tell you what let's make highly paid civil servants sackable for poor performance and no pay increases for anyone in the civil service earning more then 50K

Fed up of this kip of a country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

But it is presented to the minister and he will implement a lot of it probably by stealth.

The cowards gave up the Corporation tax without much of a fight.

From my memory, in the 2020 GE, SF propose to increase CAT from 33% to 36%, to raise 45m in extra tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

This is where we are beating dogs listen to the amount of plucking taxes being paid and you think its normal??. The chains of tax needs to be broken in this country the more we pay the more they waste and the worse our services become. As I said there needs to be marches if there is any extra tax forced on our people. We pay enough where is the State commission on spend and where they are going to cut the fat.

Some of what you say is false, but I agree with you on some issues, e.g. waste in the HSE, too early starting of the 48.5% marginal tax rate.

However, the general pop are shifting away from your view, and are voting more for higher tax parties.

The support for SF is rising, and they want to increase taxes.

Have they got a majority yet? What have I said thats false? Our spend is out of control and the proof is 240Billion of debt and being the third most indebted country in the world. Until this is gone through route and branch there should be no more taxes in any guise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Only because the high tax parties are saying that only the "wealthy" need to pay more tax. That sounds absolutely brilliant when you're on low income or on welfare. Of course you want the "rich" bogeyman paying more as long as you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭combat14

time for an increase in corporate tax and the introduction of a wealth tax, lower earners will have to contribute something as well - middle earners are being absolutely financially raped with taxes in this country - time to leave at this stage if any more taxes are introduced for ordinary workers who are already contributing more than their fair share....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Economics101

You seem to say that because high tax parties are getting more support than the Commission's position is OK. The Commission is supposed to be non-party-political; it should not allow its views to be influenced by SF polling. That's why we have Commissions which are supposed to rise above the party-political fray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Problem with listening to SF is that it’s the middle that will pay the tax.

The wealthy have the means to stay wealthy and will just invest and keep their assets abroad far away from revenue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No they didn't. They maintained the Corporation tax level against significant EU opposition for decades.

The "gave it up" when there was an OECD movement (i.e. basically all economies worth caring about globally) to set a baseline only marginally above what ours was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Haha I remember that red line alright. Always said they will do what they are told. Remember them all saying it's never on the table or EU cannot this that and the other. Yet here we are. Reminds me of the fines for no water charges that we never got EU must have forgotten about that or as people said it's up to the state to decide.

Well perhaps I didn't explain myself.

Fliball123 is correct that we have a huge public debt, and also correct that we are biased towards budget deficits..

There are few politicians calling for prudent public spending, cutting foreign aid, cutting waste in the HSE, etc.

I would like more mature politicians, who take harder decisions.

However, maybe people are voting SF as a protest against the Govt/housing crisis, and I sort of can't really blame them.

Yet many of the same people are against higher taxes.

I wonder do all the new supporters of SF realise they plan to increase many taxes.

SF now are Labour 2011, people think that they are voting for something different, and they are, it is just not the different that they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So not one cent of taxpayers money went it to paying and feeding it's authors or for the running of the commission. If you would kindly prove that, I'd be obliged.

Lets be clear we are paying high taxes as it is I am arguing paying no more on top of what we are already on the hook for ( if that comment about high taxes is aimed at me about not paying high taxes). I feel it repulsive to ask anyone to pay more while the money is just p1ssed away. The spend side needs addressing and after all fat and bloat that is there is cut by all means if we need more taxation then we need more taxation.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

Can anyone who thinks Property Tax is fairer than Income Tax please explain? I'm genuinely curious.

Income tax is broadly a % of income you earn, while property tax is a payment of cash on a non-earning principal private residence, as well as other non PPR properties obviously.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Property tax taxes wealth rather than income and is very hard to avoid.

A retired person living in a mansion is wealthier than a PAYE worker spending half their paycheck on rent.

For a start, you don't know how much income a retired person in a bigger house has. Secondly, how is it fairer because it's hard to avoid? Thirdly, how is fairer than income tax if you have two neighbours, one earns 40k and one earns 60k, they both pay the same amount of property tax.

The question is not whether LPT is fair, but how can it be considered fairer than Income Tax?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Property taxes are superior in many ways, this has been known for 100 years, since the days of Henry George.

The best type of property tax is an SVT, which is a tax on land, not on the building itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_value_tax

It is good that the COTW proposes a SVT on all land, excluding residential land.

The problem with a residential SVT is that most people can't separate the value of their property into site value + house value.

Advantages of property taxes

(1) property taxes do not cause the labour supply to fall. The 48.5% marginal tax rate in Ireland on incomes over 36/37k approx causes people to refuse overtime, progression, promotion, and to work less, and you can't blame them.

In contrast, nobody will ever refuse extra work due to the LPT.

The negative distortions due to taxes are much less with property taxes

I see a quote that land taxes are "the perfect taxes". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_value_tax

(2) property taxes are difficult to evade, as you can't hide land/houses

(3) property taxes tend to be a stable source of revenue, it doesn't go up and down as much as income and consumption taxes, less linked to the economic cycle

(4) property taxes are natural as local taxes, which is why many/most countries use property taxes to finance local governments.

Have a read of ch 16 of the Mirrlees report on Optimal Design of Taxes

https://ifs.org.uk/sites/default/files/2022-08/16.%20The%20taxation%20of%20land%20and%20property.pdf

https://ifs.org.uk/sites/default/files/output_url_files/adam_0311.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

You see an awful lot of waffle and BS from economists and various studies re Property Tax. Economists and academics love property taxes, in the real world everyone else hates them more than all other taxes.

Income taxes are considered to be progressive, Property Taxes regressive, Sales and consumption taxes very regressive.

Progressive is fairer and better than regressive when it comes to tax, so Income taxes are fairer and better than property taxes. FACT! :)

• For average families, a home represents the lion’s share of their total wealth, so most of their wealth is taxed. At high income levels, however, homes are only a small share of total wealth, which mostly consists of stock portfolios, business interests, and other assets that are generally completely exempt from property taxes.
    • For homeowners, home values as a share of income tend to decline at higher incomes. For example, a typical middle-income family’s home might be worth 6 times as much as the family’s annual income, while a wealthy person’s home might be valued at twice his or her annual income or potentially much less.
    • Renters do not escape property taxes. A portion of the property tax on rental property is passed through to renters in the form of higher rent — and these taxes represent a much larger share of income for poor families than for the wealthy. This adds to the regressivity of the property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I will qualify the below by saying I haven’t the full article. On the face if it - a 24 year old has two kids and is looking for a council house. It is very unfair to expect the taxpayer to subsidise that life choice. Of course you are going be under stress when you can’t afford them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Average house prices in ireland at the minute are around the €300K mark and while there are plenty of taxes associated with buying/building/owning a home the reality is if you are passing on an asset of this value to your kids after passing they get it tax free (currently) - on average.

Advertisement