Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It is impossible to schedule meetings in this place.

“We need to have this meeting late in the day because we have people dialling in from the US, can you maybe schedule something?”

Ok, no problem.

”Oh I can’t make 7pm, that’s dinner time for my daughter. 7:30 also won’t work because whatshisface has quality time with his child then and that’s really important to him so he won’t be able to make it. 8 pm is still a bit too early for me because I have to put her to bed, but I could make 9pm when I put her to bed maybe”

Then the next person realises that they have something else on that evening, and naturally nobody ban re-arrange anything in their calendar in the afternoon. And surprise, the same issue for the next few days.

Why don’t you get **** secretary to manage your calendars or block out chunks like any normal person. Or better even, get a job that suits your personal life and let the rest of us get on with it.

I’m going home now. Schedule your own **** meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It always happens to me when eating a hot pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Emm, in Ireland and the UK it doesn't depend on the word - it's always -ise!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Don't know if this is a latest fad or not, but I thought it was ridiculous.

I saw a cyclist earlier in busy enough lunch-time traffic, towing her two toddlers behind her in some sort of buggy contraption. It looked to be made from a canvas material so would surely crumble under any contact with a vehicle. All it takes is one unalert driver not to break on time for there to be carnage. I can't understand how anyone would have kids that young on a road when there is a perfectly serviceable footpath.

Have to be environmentally friendly I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Two types of people who have been on my annoyance radar recently.

People who wear a bike helmet on their heads but don't use the chin strap.

People who litter within eyeshot of a bin. People who litter are bad enough, but littering close to a bin is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I have seen this around my area but always on the foothpath .

I dont know how anyone thinks they're safe for the road !

My TA the last hour in work is soooooooo long

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My understanding is that words that derive from French are ise whereas words that derive from latin are ize.

Is that not the case?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Had to change my deliveries by dhl, to me picking them up at a local service point.

Imagine a courier company the can't manage to deliver to my postal address 🙈

Sat down to watch my usual late afternoon quiz shows on ITV and they’re all repeats, obviously a result of the queen’s death

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Companies that required multiple references at the hiring stage then having a no-references-given policy themselves.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They've been around for years, I remember seeing them in Baggot Street and in Fairview in the late 90s, but I'm sure they were probably around way before that. They have a little flag to show people where they are. With cars it's scary enough, but if you're near lorries or busses (with bigger blind spots).... I'm sure they're wonderful in countries where there are proper cycling facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Never heard of that but I'm always learning! 🤓

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

They have ones that are on the front of the bike. One chap online goes around with one of those 360 cameras that you can get to rotate to what position you want and he just seems to be looking for opportunities to complain with the kid sitting in the front trolley. Completely agree they are not designed for safety especially in cities with little or no cycling infrastructure. Never mind distracted driver if the cyclists makes a mistake then it could be the kids life put on the line.

Road runners, not the meep meep ones but the groups that jog in packs that take up the footpaths and spill out onto the main roads. How hard is it to run in 2 columns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

In your own post you spelt realise as realize!!!

even money they done that on purpose 😃 also, pretty sure spelt is wrong here 😃

TA at dem 'shouty' comedians - Oy 'oward, i don't care how many decibels ya use, i'm still not swayed by into agreeing with your POV..

wouldn't see Stewart Lee at that craic 🙂🤗

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

@Sweet Talkin Romeo

pretty sure spelt is wrong here 😃

Spelt is a correct form for the past simple and past participle of spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Bought the last 2 pairs of ratchet straps* in Aldi.

*For those not familiar, theyre a strap, and a ratchet, one feeds into the other and you can tie down a load.

A pair, therefore would be 2 of each in a box.

I went home put them down, looked into the boxes to put them away and realised kne of the boxes was missing a strap, so 2 ratchets, one strap. Other box was fine

I was almost not going to even bother going back with them for 11.99 but I did.

Hey, *presents receipt and box to the checkout*

I'm missing a strap. I bought 2 sets but this one is missing a strap.

She looks at me quizzically, then looks at the box, no she said, I think that it's right, it's only one.. I reply- no, it's a pair, the other box has a pair, the picture on the box you're holding is a pair, and ummm, it says PAIR on the box.. she goes off to the managers office to confer

Back she comes and offers a refund, I said we'll, I'd rather just replace them, sorry, have no more.. OK, I said, and she processed the refund.

I head down the Isle to buy a few bits and pieces. Behold - a whole shelf full of them.. in PAIRS. So back to the till I go, basket full of chocolate cereal and ratchet straps

Cheers NH. You always have my back 👍🏾👍🏾

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well apparently not. I hope all of their children disappear or die suddenly so they stop being a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Both are correct. My preference as a copywriter is "spelled" as a) it's more consistent with other English past participle verb usage and b) spelt is a type of wheat as far as I'm concerned. But it very much depends on what style guide one uses most (if any).

My degree is in English from an Irish university and "spelled" and "ise" verb forms were standard.

Tonight's TA: dozed off on the couch with my book at 10pm and woke up 30 seconds later at 11.47.

That happens me except I wake up at 2 and can’t sleep.

TA is my reading glasses don’t do the trick anymore and I’ve a library of books to get through

Post edited by blade1 on

Of course, both are correct, that's why I said 'A correct form', not 'THE correct form', but it's not listed among the irregular verbs for no reason.

Was just thinking during the week wondering what's the craic with COVID cases these days as I don't hear of anyone catching it.

Then, yesterday evening I get a call from the nursing home saying they have an outbreak and I can't call to see my mother which I was doing today.

Furthermore, even the the fact I have to book a time slot to visit my own mother is a sign of the times we have to live with these days. 🙄

• Advertisement

NH are a nightmare, for the most part. As for Covid, people in charge seem to think that what we don't know won't hurt us, ignorance is bliss, people are all vaccinated, anyway (as if that was stopping people from catching it and spreading it) etc, so the numbers aren't as readily available as before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement