Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Oh it's the energy producers that are making money, not the suppliers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Isn't it hours and not days in the calculation?

EDIT: @KCross has better eyes than me and spotted that it's already in @curioustony's calculation

The deemed export is supposed to be an abstraction for the full year, so it's definitely worth more in winter but on the flip side might be worth less in summer

They do seem to have scewed the numbers slightly to make the export amount larger. I suspect this is to encourage uptake of solar PV whole people are waiting on smart meters

Post edited by the_amazing_raisin on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Agreed - and I believe that also raisin (that it's the Shell/Exxon/etc of this world making the huge profits). Although people sometimes remark on here with conspiracy theories about supplier cartels "fixing" FIT rates and nefariously gouging customers, and yet they are leaving the marketplace presumably as it's not profit making. One would seem to preclude the other.

I've zero love for the suppliers, nor dislike either, just saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Isn't it hours and not days in the calculation?

He has accounted for that in the "24" in the calculation.

• Advertisement

I'm in two minds regarding the suppliers. I do feel like there's a bit of brinksmanship going on between them, for example a bunch of suppliers holiding off announcing the FIT before EI and BG announced theirs

That probably a sign that they aren't acting like a cartel but they're certainly not doing their best to bring value to the customer

Similar for the rate increases, I'm pretty sure Energia held off announcing as long as they could so they'd be cheaper on bonkers for a while and lure some more customers over.

Again, not exactly anti-competitive, but not in the best interests of the consumer either

I do feel there's some cartel like behaviour regarding FIT payments. I find it slightly difficult to believe that all the suppliers in the Irish market somehow failed to implement a payment system for the FIT despite having ayears warnng. It's also worth considering those suppliers are often using the same underlying software as each other and other suppliers in the UK which has no issues paying their FIT

The cynic in me is saying they're all holding off so they can complain to the CRU that they're not ready to pay the FIT. And since the CRU has as much backbone as a jellyfish they're not willing to penalise the suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

And since the CRU has as much backbone as a jellyfish they're not willing to penalise the suppliers

Yup, well established pattern in Ireland: create a regulator (to turn a blind eye on industry) so the politicians have plausible deniability when the stuff his the fan.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Again, I've no love for them, but I don't hate them either. They are what they are, trying to make a buck off the customer (us) and that's ok. I think we read too much into the FIT payments. In terms of residential customers we've ~25K houses with solar out of 2.5m homes. So like 1% and of that 1% they'll have to give back maybe 30% on average (?) of those houses revenue. So (and I am ballparking it) it's probably like 0.3%. Sure every company looks after the pennies, but I think paying FIT won't effect their bottom line too much.

No, the whole FIT payment fiasco can probably be put down to laziness rather than malice. As a software developer myself, most of these companies have custom accountancy billing systems. I'd bet they've just put it off and off for as long as they can as they've had competing priorities. A bit like....

"well ESB haven't done there's so why should we?"

and they were all standing around like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACFF39dU6I - LOL !

I dunno how long it took in the UK either though. Granted though, they could have gotten their finger out in Ireland sooner to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Why have you 2 different formula?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

Why have you 2 different formula?

@wexfordman2 it's the same formula, one is just multiplied out using the constants in the CRU decision. I didn't describe the thinking behind all the constant factors either...

Looking to simplify the calculation to just the variables you need. Number of days and size of inverter

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Advertisement

Maybe someone can check my math, if I install 6kWp then next year I'll get

6*0.8148*365 = 1784kWh

At Energias FIT that's worth €350

So I'd actually need to restrict export otherwise I'll go over the €200 tax free limit 😱

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

What's not clear, if they're going to be giving it as a discount against your bill, how does it get counted as income? Is there a separate income declaration you'll have to make? Will the supplier issue you an income statement?

It's like any non PAYE income, you'll need to declare it in your annual tax return as income and provide some documentation to prove it.

Presumably your electricity supplier will have a line item in your bill to show the amount you were paid from the FIT

So you'll need to send electricity bills along with your tax return and revenue will very kindly calculate if you owe them any money

I suppose if it's less than the €200 limit then you might not have to declare it, but I'd check that one with revenue first

Actually have revenue published the details of the tax exemption for the FIT?

I wonder if you go over the exemption limit to you end up paying tax on the excess or the whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

DO we have a rate per provider for each FIT.

I believe Electric Ireland have locked in 14c. I would guess this is before vat. I think I say BG was 18C.

Could be important when you change provider as the comparison sites do not take this into account yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The real money makers in this chain are generators, who have some or all of their generation as renewable. Prices are pegged with fossil generation prices so renewables are making a killing. If I had a spare few million I'd be installing a solar farm.

Yeah and to be fair they're taking advantage of a broken system. It seems like there's some hostility from the like of the EU commission towards renewables making a big profit when it's the gas producers that led us to this situation

I'm happy with the idea of paying back the PSO levy this year since they basically got free money they don't need

But the idea of a renewables price cap seems silly to me, it's just going to stifle investment in the sector

A windfall tax on profits seems like a better move since it forces companies to reinvest their revenue into building more turbines and solar farms

I think perhaps the problem with that idea is that a lot of fossil fuel companies also own wind farms. So there's nothing to stop them investing the profits of renewables into more fossil fuels extraction

So you'll need to send electricity bills along with your tax return...

I very much doubt that. It will be self-declared. You calculate your total FiT from your bills and declare it in your annual tax return. The revenue system will then just add anything over the €200 exemption to your income.... so you wont make much money on FiT beyond the €200, it would make MUCH more sense to consume anything over the €200 somehow, than get FiT for it, as presumably it will be subject to USC/PAYE etc.... i.e. 50%+ will be taken in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It might make more sense to consume anything above the €200 limit. But if you don't have a smart meter and your NC6 states 6kW as an example you will be over the €200 based on their estimate.

€200 is very low anyway when they are trying to get people to install renewables. Is the FIT taxed in many other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wish we had net-metering like in the Netherlands and Germany, where you can offset a huge overproduction in summer against buying from the grid in winter. By definition you don't need to pay income tax if your total overall consumption of electricity for the year is not negative (easy to resolve by just using electricity to heat your home in winter, should you go into net production)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yeah, that €200 limit was announced last year or the start of this year, before the recent rises of around 70-80% in unit cost. they really need to increase it proportionally, even up to €300 would see most out of taxable exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

There should be a windfall tax on the profits of the companies that are involved in the construction of the "green" infrastructure. Funnily enough, the politicians don't want to draw attention to these...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Who has responsility for setting the FiT rates,is it the energy companies themselves or would the CRU tell them they have a range that they must work within? They are all similar enough between 14 and 18 cents so maybe this was the range?

Id also wonder how the FiT could go up or down, has anything been said it being pegged to a % of retail unit prices? Because you could see a scenario where retail unit prices rise but the FiT doesnt rise alongside it which would seem unfair on the consumer who is helping out with generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

+1 to that. Would see huge take-up on home renewables. Which helps the grid all year round (to some extent). Afaik that's one of the reasons they offered it. I read that about Germany I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭con747

The CRU set the rate @ .0c and let the companies work from that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Netherlands has the second highest PV home installs per capita in the world after Australia. Where the sun always shines and electricity is mega expensive.

PV in Ireland is better than it is in the Netherlands though and the population density is almost 10 times as high as in Ireland, so nobody over there really has the space for ground mounts and there are very, very few McMansions like in Ireland. Despite all that, there is a huge uptake. The main reason of course is that there is net metering, secondary reason is that the people are much more aware about climate change and the need to quickly transition to renewable energy than the people over here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I have some experience in working with ESBN and suppliers and implementing changes to the billing system. It takes years in planning to do this as any shut down and updating of the SEM and market message system has to be planned years out and scheduled to the day/hour when the system is updated. We were introducing a few tariffs to unmetered supplies and the suppliers were extremely cautious and wary.

Regarding FIT this again is another level of complication and how they do this so I can imagine the fuss going on behind the scenes

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

Think it's the regulator that sets it, and all they specified was a minimum rate of 0c. up to the supplier then really to set their own rate. I was surprised so many gave the rates they did, thought they would start at a few cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ok I wonder then is that a source of concern that the regulator is just telling them to have at it and do as they please starting off at 0c. Im not sure what way other countries regulators handle it but you would think as a matter of climate change public policy in renewables that customers who are helping with generation would be a bit more protected with any rise in retail unit prices being pegged to a subsequent rise in the FiT. There seems to be a conflict of interest between self generation by individuals and an energy company supplying power.

The other thing that could happen is energy companies convince consumers to invest in solar becasue of an 18c kwh FiT but then when it suits drop that down to 8 or 9 cents while retail rates are sitting at 45c+ a unit. I would have thought that a well regulated market would at least promise consumers x% of the headline retail rate otherwise there is no certainty of prices remaining as they are.

Advertisement