Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He did care. He gambled his entire premiership on it because he thought that Remain would win and that the papers would back him. Classic entitlement.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yep. Cameron was cocky and assumed he could win. The 2014 Indy ref win probably fuelled his cockiness. Damned fool will rightly be judged very harshly by history (and present).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

After winning IndyRef, ARV and the 2015 election (which people often forget was a shock overall majority with Miliband marginal favourite for most seats the day before), Dave thought he was invincible at the old voting lark. If Remain had won, he'd probably have continued using referenda as a tool before eventually making a calamitous misstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

To be fair to him, I doubt he ever expected that it would be even close. The UK, as seen with the continual voting for the Tory party, are very slow to make a change. They much prefer to keep things as they are even when they accept that it doesn't work. Look at FPTP. Nobody thinks it is working, but you would be hard pushed to get people to vote to change it.

As was said, INdyRef was pulled out of the fire, the surprise election result all gave his the feeling that he was unbeatable. The UK have been paying the price for his hubris ever since.

But he is not solely to blame. Farage, Johnson, JRM, IDS, Baker, Davis, and many media outlets. They all sold the lie to the UK public that this was easy. Nothing was going to change, except everything would be better. And richer. And the NHS would be properly funded. And wages would go up. And bills would come down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He was in the top job so ultimately, he's the man who's most responsible IMO. His expectations are irrelevant beyond explaining his motivation. He gambled the constitution in 2014 and won so he did it again. The country should come before the party but he didn't want to make hard choices so the rest of us are now paying for it.

45% of voters chose an independent Scotland. That should have sobered him up. They ran a fear-based campaign with the press behind them and still only got 55%.

I see no reason to sympathise with him to be honest.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,099 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

IndyRef really only turned when the UK government promised a load of the devo max concessions that they instantly went back on.

Maybe every city should copy Limerick and have a bit of rock in the town centre to remind people never to trust an English promise.

Rock in Limerick town centre? King John's castle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

EU proposes windfall tax on Energy companies - so this might be one of the (elusive till now) 'benefits' of BREXIT that UK does not need to do the windfall tax and because of this tax by the EU all the big energy companies now will leave the EU countries and only do business in the UK from now on - possible!!!

I'm not sure if you are serious but do you propose they pack up their power plants and move them lock, stock and barrell to the UK?

Creative transfer pricing probably wouldn't be looked on favourably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Creative transfer of profits coming up.(unless the British cop on) what’s to stop somebody (in say) England leaving the heating and electricity on all day, and just paying the cap?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How does the cap work?

Is it a cap on the rate charged, or the actual bill amount?

I appears to be a daft scheme if it is the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MustangMick

EU Companies already own the vast majority of Electricity supply in the UK

eg EDF (Electricite de France) so guess where their profits go...out of the UK.

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't believe that's how the cap works. Like its not as if you can heat your swimming pools and stables effectively for free, because of a 'cap'.

It's more that it's a max price per kw, and the media & gov press releases translates that into the GBP value of what a normal suburban 3 bed-semi/terrace would expect to pay for average use. And thus they say the cap is £4000 a year or whatever. But if you use twice the normal kw, you'll have an £8000 bill.

It probably shouldn't be called a cap, bad choice of word really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Yes, it's great for European electricity producers: they get to fleece the British public. We should thank the British for their generosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Steady on,you wouldn't want the country you live and work in struggling would you?

The ESB own a decent amount of shares in a few companies over there too.

• Advertisement

I think the cap includes oil gas and electricity..I’m not sure how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Just think of it as colonialism in reverse - this time its the British whose wealth is being syphoned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's a rate cap not a bill cap. The media quote the average annual bill figures as they are vastly easier to understand than unit rates for most people

More depressing news:

I think nothing's going to change until there's civil unrest or riots. This can't go on. We've a decadent Tory party more concerned with bankers' bonuses than actual poverty.

Oil not included. (So much for calling it an energy or indeed a cap) Martin Lewis explains it here.

thanks to previous posters for clariying

https://youtu.be/eYH2zeilfZ8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭yagan

There were many cities in north England that reminded me of the material poverty I use to see in Ireland back in the 70/80s. I'm not saying Ireland doesn't have poverty spots but it seem relatively stable compared to some of the desolation in the post industrial wastelands of England.

Ireland at least feels more balanced. Most towns across the country will have a similar number and standard of pubs/cafes/shops as other towns the same size.

The difference between the UKs key and other towns and cities is shocking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So, the 20 newly recruited customs officers to cope with the Brexit checks are being made redundant. The start of these checks have been delayed for the third time. Looks like the checks are being postponed for yet another year - end of 2023. That is in the hope that importers will forget that the UK has left the EU and the single market. Funding for this customs checking station ran out in July. These guys were recruited in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not sure if it has been updated but previously there was a list of the 10 poorest regions in Northern Europe. 9 were in the UK. The UK has crippled a lot of regions and made them dependent on London.

The fact that the main reason against Irish unity at this point is that the UK has crippled the economy to the point where unity is a massive financial burden that Ireland would likely need EU help with is the biggest example of this.

• Advertisement

I think that NI, should it join to form a united Ireland, it would be a financial burden if Ireland had to fund it alone - that is true. It is currently a massive financial burden on the UK Gov, and if they cut back the subvention, then there would be huge poverty imposed on NI.

However, it is next to impossible to develop any truthful economic numbers for NI because they are not developed/published. For example, many figures are given for the whole of the UK with no breakout for NI. How much of state pensions are due to NI retirees, and how many result from working in GB? How much defence spending is directly attributable to NI? Even the NI/GB trading figures are not available. The NI NHS figures are derived from NI but are they published?

Now Brexit is in full swing, the trucks are into full scale smuggling, with no attempt to regulate the contents. Are M&S actually making correct returns on the imports into their exports south of the border, or is some or it all - well - smuggled?

Advertisement