Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Very lateslip for me on this but Mack Hansen did a fantastic interview on the Master of None podcast https://anchor.fm/stephen-murphy8/episodes/Mack-Hansen-e1njabs

A thoroughly decent lad with zero notions. Nice to hear an interview without any of the media training terminology we generally hear from lads involved in the Irish setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Chay Mullins confirmed, very solid bit of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think Mullins in particular could be a big winner from the emerging Ireland series. If he puts in a couple of decent showings there he could find himself moving up the pecking order at Connacht quickly.

https://youtu.be/-MF6Zq3hpm0 here Ralston makes it pretty clear he’s coming over to play mainly at 13. So back three depth would look something like:

11) Hansen wootton

14) Byrne Killgallen

15) Porch Toh McNulty

I’d expect Jennings and Mullins to get decent time on the wings, considering Macks time will be limited

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Lock/Back row John Forde has been given a trial in the academy. He made his debut for Munster against Wasps last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY SQUAD VS ULSTER RUGBY

Saturday 17th September 2022, 19:35 @ Kingspan Stadium

Number/Name/Caps ( * denotes uncapped)

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (206)

14. Byron Ralston *

13. Tom Farrell (79)

12. Tom Daly (61)

11. John Porch (59)

10. Conor Fitzgerald (53)

9. Kieran Marmion (209)

1. Peter Dooley *

2. Dave Heffernan (165)

3. Jack Aungier (31)

4. Gavin Thornbury (63) (C)

5. Leva Fifita (15)

6. Josh Murphy *

7. Conor Oliver (41)

8. Paul Boyle (73)

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (6)

17. Denis Buckley (208)

18. Sam Illo (2)

19. Niall Murray (35)

20. Shamus Hurley-Langton *

21. Caolin Blade (150)

22. David Hawkshaw *

23. Oran McNulty (9)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

That's Ok

No Wootton or Byrne in the 23 is the little surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Hopefully TOH is having a revival but on the evidence of last season hard to understand him being first choice. Would rather Porch at 15. Ulster have a nice back line, their pack is far from their best though.

That emerging Ireland tour could really make a mess of the start of season. One injury to Dave Heffernan away from having Grant Stewart and Eoin De Buitléar as our only available hookers for four games against two league finalists last season and Munster and Leinster. Likewise a Marmion injury would leave Reilly and Devine as only two 9s available.

If some of the 5 boys do not play the final Emerging game, I expect them to be released early, no mendatory rest period either, as it's not even Ireland A

Confident to have most of them available for Leinster..

They will fly back together, there won’t be early releases and they won’t be available against Leinster unless there’s an injury crisis in Connacht.

Attendances were well down last season from previous years (based on what I saw, I haven’t checked the figures). Start of the season was already very difficult for Connacht without taking away 3/4 lads from first 23. Start the season with a few hammerings and it could be a long year.

• Advertisement

Disagree

Even if the don't flight back early, those who did not play on the 9th of October will be available on the 14th

Same GMT, 10 days rest, no reason

They won’t be back in Ireland until the tenth so they won’t be available until Tuesday training at the earliest with the game on Friday and they won’t have trained with Connacht for a month.

Maybe Blade or Tierney Martin will be put on the bench if we’re struggling but they won’t be available for selection in the proper meaning of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Average attendance was around 5k last season compared to 6k the pre covid seasons.

I’m surprised it was as high as 5k to be honest but still a 15% drop.

Optimistic about chances of getting a win tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Looking match by match the big games seemed to more or less sell out while small games seemed to draw a lot of 3k crowds.

If you only have 8 home games and the three Irish derbies draw well all the drop is visible on the other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Let's hope the old adage about forwards deciding who wins a match is true, because I'm very concerned about our defense out wide against this Ulster team. Someone said that Adam Byrne was in a moon boot after the game against Castres, so maybe that explains his absence. And that TOH is picked for the season opener is not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Nearly all sporting events have suffered a similar or bigger drop in attendance post Covid.

• Can I ask an honest question?

What is the opinion of Connacht fans of so little Connact born players being in the matchday 23?

2 out of the starting 15 and 4 further on the bench.

I'm honestly not trying to stir and would just love to get the opinion of Connacht supporters.

More would be better of course but the reality is that Connacht has less than 10% of the population on the island and doesn’t have a strong tradition of rugby. There’s some talented prospects now with the Murray brothers Oisin McCormack and Shane Jennings, hopefully they can break through. The likes of Kieran Marmion who has Galway heritage and been here since he was 18 I more or less count as indigenous.

• Advertisement

Not ideal but not to be unexpected given the population size and how big the gaa is in Connacht. There’s a good crop of local lads looking to break through which could add a few numbers in the future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

As others have pointed out the small number of Connacht-born players is simply a reality of demographics. I see the province as being defined more by the style of rugby that it plays, open and attacking, than the heritage of its players. In fact the weak demographics have meant that the provionce plays the function of channeling players from the exile program and the overflow from other provinces bigger systems, especially Leinster. AF has also thickened the Australian influence.

As Clann of Lams mentioned, we have a strong cohort who represented Ireland at U20 in recent years and are now on senior contracts, lots to look forward to there. Unfortunately this is not the case with this years' U20s, U19s or U18s, which is a concern, as of course the objective is to grow the grassroots, and if there's no consistency it's difficult to really call it progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Not particularly focused on it for the reasons stated above but also I tend to look at what we have produced as well, players like Boyle, Marmion (mentioned above) and Conor Fitzgerald, while starting rugby elsewhere, have come through our academy system and played all their professional career (to date) in Connacht.

Realistically we are never going to enjoy the levels of home produced by the other three provinces due to population, lack of clubs and strong competition from other sports. Would I like to see more, absolutely.

For me, they're considered as available (if they don't play on the 9th)

In case of injuries

So basically it's mainly about keeping Murphy, Marmion and Heffernan fit for tonight and the next 3 games.

If so, there's no drop in performance compared to Prend/Blade/DTM

1 injury in the 3 and it's indeed a weakening

There will absolutely be a drop. Bringing Blade/Marmion on is a far better option than O’Reilly at this stage at least. Cian Prendergast has been one of the most impressive players for Connacht in the last two years, we are clearly worse off for him not being involved.

Time will tell but I don’t expect them to be involved on the 9th barring emergency. They’re not come back in for one or two days of training max after a month away and be selected.

Murphy is a very very decent blindside, Prendergast isn't fully made yet, so no, no massive gap. Dowling's there to play 6 if needed too

Marmion as any SH can play 70 minutes for 4 games, I don't worry about that position as long as he's fit.

And DTM at this stage is still barely 2nd choice, no bother to have Heff/Stewart experience

Not even talking about Illo (for now 3rd choice with Bealham there next weeks) or Mullins (not even in main squad)

Connacht are losing the option of bringing on a proven quality nine after 50/55 minutes, that can make a big impact in a game as we have seen in recent seasons. Losing one of if not our best player over the last two seasons. Josh Murphy looks an excellent player but with Prendergast we could have both in the back row or Murphy in the second row if needed or one adding impact off the bench, Prendergast is clearly better than most of our back five forwards other than Murphy. Losing the opportunity to give Tierney Martin gametime and see where he is before Delahunt returns, game time which will instead go to a six month emergency signing with no long term benefit.

Injuries have the potential to make it even worse of course but Connacht are clearly far worse off because of this bullshit tour already.

N.Murray/Thornbury is a great pairing, Dowling very efficent too, Fifita'a has a final year in him, very happy Murphy is kept to 6 for now

Disagree with DTM too, if we want to get points in this horrible run of game, we have to get our more experience pairing who is made of both international guys Heffernan/Stewart

Agree re Blade but Marms is able to play 4X70 minutes + Reilly can do 10 min (very lively guy) without much harm I'd hope

It's never good to miss players but it's better now than mid december with 10-15 injuries in the squad

Grant Stewart was released by Glasgow and is a six month emergency signing. Maybe he defies expectations but it’s likely he has no long term future here and Tierney Martin is evidently ahead of him currently.

Not trying to be smart but getting a Scottish cap is relatively straightforward if you are in Glasgow/Edinburgh squad, you’re basically a couple of injuries away from a spot. He has one cap, I wouldn’t have high hopes.

Cian Prendergast has been our best back row in the last two seasons, that’s why he went to New Zealand, he’s a huge loss.

Having both Marmion and Blade in the 23 is far better than not, I think that’s fairly obvious.

Look we won’t agree but this thing is very bad for Connacht with the potential to get even worse with an injury or red card even.

• Advertisement

4) (without Murphy if he's busy as n°6)

Thornbury, Fifita'a, Dowling, Murray 1, Murray 2

6) (without Prendergast)

Murphy, Boyle, Booth, Dowling, Butler (next week), D.Byrne

9) (without Blade)

Marmion, C.Reilly, Devine (great prospect), W.Reilly, Gilvarry

3) (without Illo)

Bealham (next week), Aungier, Robertson-Mc Coy, Fiachna Barrett 

We're not in a horrible situation for now

Advertisement