Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensee renting troubles

Options
  • 12-09-2022 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I moved in with a friend a month ago, I'll call him john. We had an agreement that I'd pay John rent for a room in a house that he is renting and living in. I thought it would be a good idea to let the landlord know I was living there and to get added to the lease. So my John asked the landlord if I could be added to the lease. The landlord turned around and said he doesn't want my friend to be subletting or to have a licensee as it's a breech of the lease/contract. I guess you have to tell your landlord about any guests or subtenants which John didn't do. His reason for not adding me was over crowding but there are 3 rooms in the house and 1 person for each room. Not sure what his issue is.

So now the LL is sending someone from the agency to inspect the property, we assume it's just so the agent can gather evidence to prove that I'm living here. I've been told by threshold that if they find evidence that I'm living here, they can issue a 28 day warning notice to the tenant John and if it's not resolved in 28 days, they can issue an eviction notice.

We are not doing anything bad in the property, we are maintaining it and not disturbing neighbours or anything like that. Keeping it very clean and making it nice with furniture we bought. Now I'm feeling very hopeless as I think I will be kicked out soon.

I don't know what will come of the inspection. I assume an agent will arrive, take a look around the property and take photo's of the rooms. He will probably tell the LL that he suspects someone is living in the spare room. The landlord will pressure John into kicking me out, by threatening warning notices or eviction. I don't think John has been here for 6 months so he probably doesn't have a part 4 tenancy yet.

Anyone know how fucked I am or have any advice? I'm starting a new job this week and this stress is so horrible and miserable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

You will have to leave. John could maybe stay even with eviction notices etc but you have no rights because you’re not a tenant. Not moving in extra people without permission is a clause in almost any rental lease. Where are you living before? Can you go back there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Smoke420meme

Was renting in a house share, can't go back now. Homelessness it is.

That’s rough. Get back on to Threshold for advice. Your best bet might be to appeal to the landlord’s better nature. From their perspective another tenant brings no advantages. There’s more wear and tear on the property but no increased income. If the whole place is rented as a single unit they can’t increase the rent because of the RPZ legislation (assuming it’s in an RPZ) but if it’s rented by the room they may be able to start charging you separately. If you stay, your friend could also get evicted. I really don’t have good advice for you but I hope you find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How long has John been renting?

(7) A person who is lawfully in occupation of the dwelling concerned as a licensee of the tenant or the multiple tenants, as the case may be, during the subsistence of a Part 4 tenancy may request the landlord of the dwelling to allow him or her to become a tenant of the dwelling.

If he's in Part 4 then you've a chance to get onto the RTB as the landlord has to allow you become a tenant. The only potential issue is that John might not have been authorised to allow a licencee but that's an issue between John and the Landlord not you and the landlord, as you have a signed licencee agreement with John 😉

I Don't think John has been renting for 6 months which I think is how long it takes for a part 4 tenancy to be enacted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can you pay the LL more rent?

It's in a rent pressure zone so don't think it's legal to pay more and the LL seems to like everything to be above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

The landlord has fair reason to refuse, they never agreed to this person or Licensees/subleters, could be from the point of view of fair wear and tear, consideration of neighbours regarding parking spaces whether they are limited due to being allocated or even when not as that can cause problems. Basically, I cannot understand where any person who was not originally assigned to the lease can be granted rights unless they were approved by the landlord, because as nice as it seems, it opens the landlord up to problems/liability they never agreed to take on, in some cases (not saying this instance) it can assist criminal activity.

No person should be able to have an automatic entitlement to a tenancy unless the landlord has signed off on it, regardless of their duration, its an example of well meaning (mostly) do gooders interfering but who have zero actual experience of problems it can cause.

In this case and many others, the person may be legit and genuine, but I still see zero reason they should be allowed to live there without the landlords consent, as its an RPZ, the landlord cant up the rent to account for this unplanned person on the tenancy as that would be breaking the law, I dont see why tenants or potential tenants should be allowed circumvent the law either, but it is accepted in other aspects of Part4, Tenancies and renting in general.

Thankfully I am not a landlord anymore, but anyone with an ounce of experience would say it should rightfully be at the landlords discretion OR any notice to request to be added to a lease should have a 6 months trial period (not as it seems to be, just claiming someone is there 6 months and automatically has part4 rights), ie a landlord should be notified formally, and if they dont outright refuse immediately, then the licensee has 6 months before they can be granted part4 rights from that first notification, where the landlord can say still decline them up to the end of the 6 months (in the case it didnt suit them/they had given some leeway to the licencee and found they still weren't happy with them or the situation).

You can really tell you used to be a landlord. Zero compassion for tenants and tonnes of compassion for the landlord. I'm glad you aren't a landlord anymore either. But sadly a lot of landlords out there are like you. More concerned with wear and tear than human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That's a load of bollox to be fair. A LL is well entitled to look after their asset.

Naturally You're not entitled to be added to a lease on a whim just because a fella renting another room said you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

licensee is really a visitor... and has about the same rights

does the LL really have the power to control who visits the house and stays overnight? one night? one week? or where is the limit?

what about a partner? also not allowed by a landlord?

the lease might say "no subletting", but the licensee is not a sublet situation

In my experience the lease often states the number of nights a visitor can stay in a month. This seems a little petty but it is the only way to avoid the problem you describe.

If you had two coats would you lend one to a coatless stranger for the winter for free because you care more about human life than wear and tear on your coat? If not, then you must also have ‘zero compassion’, no?

I know it’s a terrible situation for renters at the moment but painting all landlords as big baddies is simplistic. The reality is the LL hasn’t vetted you, and if they let you become a tenant and you were to cause problems they can’t get you out for years. They also can’t charge extra rent to cover the additional costs an extra tenant brings. Landlords did not devise this system. Populist politicians and tenant advocacy groups created this situation and it has backfired massively for regular, rule-abiding tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

So John is renting a 4 bed house on his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

You appear to be caught in an awkward situation where you will more than likely have to leave.

Your mate John would be benefiting from you paying him reducing his rent but it was a big mistake leaving your previous accommodation without getting permission from John's landlord.

One of the biggest issues facing the landlord is if they needed to end the tenancy for whatever reason and John agreeing to move but you refusing.

where did it say there are 4 bedrooms?

where did it say nobody else lives in the house?

why do you invent a fake story?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think you are missing the point CH is making, but carry on.

Sorry, just to clarify as I am unclear on this - is John passing on the money his friend is paying him to the landlord, or is he keeping it himself?

Surely someone renting a room in a private property, can't rent out a vacant room and just keep the money?

Or is John renting the whole house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

He says 3 rooms. I added John in for a fourth.

Ok, so as the other poster replied, what if someone renting decides on their own bat that their mate/sibling/cousin can stay, what if the landlords policy doesnt cover for example a smoker or not without being notified or the landlord doesnt want to deal with the problems associated with that after the original guy that rented has left, what if the landlord wants to vet the person themselves? what if the person drives a car, and everyone in the house has cars and the landlord doesnt want to have his tenants block access because they are considerate of the neighbours? what if they decided they just want X number of people and let it on that basis, its not about compassion or lack of it, but when you give an inch people take a mile, next it will be 2 people staying or more, it can also cause problems in that, maybe the other tenant didnt want or agree to this chap staying or felt obligated to agree. I am completely on board that there is a huge problem, but one which has not been caused by smalltime landlords who are fleeced/scapegoated/hassled for providing accommodation. I got out because of the hassle and one sidedness and the delays to deal with problems.

The current situation has been created by successive Govts across a few areas, 1. Not facilitating more home builds, not influencing councils in the last decade to make land available at a price and ensuring their developer mates are held accountable for not building crap on land that started out as public/state land. 2. Having laws in place to deal with delinquent tenants (and landlords) because the current setup encourages bad tenants & bad landlords, thats not to say their arent good landlords or good tenants, but good tenants are paying for the acts of foolish/idiotic decisions, which may be well meaning or they may be based on the fact the State (successive Govts) know the cost involved in providing accommodation would be huge, instead of rewarding smalltime landlords they are fleeced and blamed.

Your post is significantly indicative of this blame and reduces the potential for a problem down to it being a lack of compassion, its not that simple, it is not the responsibility of private landlords to fix the problems of the state, such as providing longterm accomodation, smalltime landords dont make Policy, but renting would be possible and viable for all if the Govt made the right laws/decisions, instead it is all stick and very limited carrot for landlords, so little that Landlords are leaving in droves, yet you still blame landlords for not having compassion, when in fact many have been (including myself) compassionate. Compassion doesnt pay the bills and there is only so much that can be given when the landlords own responsibilities and family are affected, many landlords are in that situation (some accidental, others not, neither of which should mean they have more or less rights), many other landlords just extract what they can (I had to put money in to make up costs) that was a fact of the situation I was in. It could in fact save the State and consequently taxpayers billions to supplement available accommodation provided by the state for rental with that provided by private landlords. So those that cant or dont want to/need to buy have a that option, but there needs to be something in it for landlords, so by the time you deduct tax, pay down debts it is not an easy task to balance the monthly budget. Buying shouldnt be a necessity to avoid a rental trap, I dont agree with it, but I do see it as necessary in this Country. I believe neo-liberal policies have influenced many Nations policy to provide less and less accomodation and just let it be a free for all where the whole thing is foisted onto the market and a capitalist free-market policy drives the entire process. I dont agree with that, I believe housing should be affordable such that it should be a less important consideration in peoples lives.

1. If a small number of problems were fixed and dealt with that would help (not completely) solve many of the problems that exist, basically you have Threshold and by inaction tacit support from the RTB for tenants and tenant landlord problems not to be dealt with, that means bad tenants get away with a lot that wouldnt be tolerated elsewhere. So if a landlord isn't allowed bend the rules (shouldn't be) why do you think tenants should be? The landlord never agreed to what is raised here and is within their rights to refuse.

• Advertisement

"His [LL] reason for not adding me was over crowding but there are 3 rooms in the house and 1 person for each room"

irrelevant to the question being asked by OP anyway - or what's your point?

What if there is a couple, and they have a baby? Does the LL have the right to kick them out?

Not sure if you are being serious?

Are the couple the original tenants? or someone a tenant invited to stay? if the the latter then yes, they can tell (not ask) them to get out,so Yes they do have a right.

For clarification, is the OP saying this is a 3 bedroom house and there are 3 original tenants? if so what room is the OP occupying?

Either way, the landlord is within their rights to refuse, if not an RPZ, the landlord may have taken the original number of tenants into account when setting the rent, which if so, confirms making deals favourable to a tenant can backfire (plenty of landlords being compassionate cant even increase the rent closer to market rates, let alone actual rates), so it is very difficult for a landlord to be compassionate and not risk getting stung. Same for other breaches of tenancy (by the tenants, not the OP, they aren't a tenant, Licensee or a subletter, because the Landlord has confirmed they have declined this) therefore landlord should deal with this formally as is their right and treat it like the contract is being reneged upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

It depends if it’s overcrowded. There’s an official definition, I believe. If it’s a one bed, I think that technically it would be when the child turns 1.

Edited to add: not advising this, just answering in respect of what the rules are as I understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OK so he's let a 3 bed house to two people, you have come in as a 3rd. There is nothing in it for the LL and having 3 flatmates leads to falling-out's then the tenants expect the LL to act as social worker and get involved. There is no upside to the LL for this.

How are you going to give them an upside or remove any risk for you 3 been there v the LL reletting it to somebody else. You need to figure this out for them and present them with a win win.

Another way of looking at it is that they LL approved of two people, he doesn't know you and you could be unreliable and cause hassle for them.

I had it with a tenant, they asked to let a friend stay in their flat while they went travelling, they were a good tenant so we said yes, this then turned in to two years or traveling and different friends, parties front door left open and Guards called....

So like it's a catch 22 because legally he can't accept more money from us, could do under the table but he seems like he wouldn't do that. Also if we offer him more money for me to stay there, then that's admitting that I'm here and grounds for him to use that as evidence for an eviction.

Might chance my arm if he does try **** us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

How will your friend feel if you're the reason he gets a notice to leave because of a breach of contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭lau1247

Take a walk in his shoe and you can see why he wouldn't agree to do it off book. It might suit you now to offer to do that but from his point of view, if future relationship goes sour. You could threaten to report him to Revenue/RTB etc as a parting shot. There is absolutely no upside for him as far as I can see.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement