Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is zero chance of the recommendations being implemented considering both Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael have already come out against the proposals and Sinn Féin want to go as far as abolishing the current Local Property Tax entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Where are all the money raising measures in the Budget coming from? All I see is huge spending increases proposed once again but little effort at creating new revenue raising measures. It seems like the expectation is for corporate taxes to keep rising and borrowing to keep funding our spending - that is how the country is being run. Not sustainable unless, maybe, housing costs were a lot cheaper which would put more cash into the pockets of individuals and therefore it would be easier to increase taxes. Seems like an easy win, but of course our politicians couldn't bear the cost of a falling housing market.

Seeing Varadker's comments as well against the sensible calls for broadening the tax take shows that truly the country is being criminally mismanaged.

It is really important to stress with our housing market that sensible analysis only goes so far as it is not a free and efficient market; it is being totally manipulated so it is all well and good focusing on things like building costs, density, supply/demand but I think understanding how the policies are implemented and who the gatekeepers are and what they represent is more important to understand what is going on. It's less about economics and more about human behaviour.

There were “some things in it that I absolutely agree with,” he said, but added that there were “other things that, quite frankly, are straight out of the Sinn Féin manifesto”

Sources on the commission told The Irish Times they were taken aback at his comments.

I think many people on here are missing the point. Yes demand for housing will be consistent for the next few years, we all know that. However, it will only remain the same or greater if everything stays the same as it is now. We are hearing about an imminent worldwide recession, it has started already in the USA if you believe what you read, significant job losses etc. If the same happens here, and MNC's lay off people then the demand will be nowhere near the same as getting a mortgage will be out the window if one loses their job. Unless all potential buyers have the house price saved in cash. Interested to hear peoples thoughts? Its easy say things will stay the same for the foreseeable but no way can companies stay going with the way energy costs etc have gone, job losses are inevitable. Just my opinion but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

A recession doesn’t necessarily mean cheaper houses there have been plenty of recessions over the years that didn’t result in a fall in property prices. It all depends on whether there are job losses and what sectors get impacted. If it is a case that a recession results in business cutting costs such as overtime but people keep their jobs or if the sector impacted by job losses is not a sector that generates a lot of demand for houses purchasing then it is unlikely to result in a fall in property prices.

There is a massive skills shortage in Ireland and a lot of businesses are still bringing in staff from outside Ireland to fill roles. It is not just tech companies in this situation and it is across the board including financial services and manufacturing. Let’s not forget that the ECB is deliberately raising rates to cool down the economy because it’s to hot.

Thats not to say that they won’t over cook it and slow it down to much. But even in the US the job market is still hot despite signs of recession. The business areas that I see being impacted the heaviest by the energy crisis is the hospitality sector as people cut back on spending and think a lot of restaurants, pubs and shops won’t survive the winter because costs have gone through the roof and if they increase prices they will have less business.

For house prices to drop you will need a recession that results in lower immigration and higher emigration. I know that in financial services there are little signs of this happening and only yesterday I heard how recruitment drives are now targeting Asia and the Middle East in an effort to fill roles and find staff because the shortage is that bad. We’re also not talking about one or two roles but multiples. This pressure has resulted in massive churn with people moving jobs for higher pay.

The other thing to remember is that house prices may fall in real terms (inflation adjusted) but not in nominal terms. This is an important point because with inflation running at 10% a drop in house prices by anything less than 10% means that prices won’t fall in nominal terms but housing is cheaper than it was a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

They make Bertie and Co look fiscally prudent

At least we had vastly improved road infrastructure, pension reserve fund, close to 0 debt, housing oversupply,

This crowd are going to leave a mountain of liabilities

• Advertisement

All your points are valid when house prices are linked to wages, but that's not the situation currently. Money printing, investment funds and state activity have priced out most potential buyers. Take for example property prices have reached there previous highs, rents are way ahead. Look at the public service, has the gap between new entrants from the crash and pre existing employees been closed? Those new entrant are today's market less pay and lower mortgages multiples

Was listening to the latest inside business podcast covering recruitment and there saying business want to recruit within the current pool as housing is too big an issue. In effect housing has strangled the growth in the economy. Its overheated and extremely vulnerable to an economic shock of which they are multiple potential causes out there right now. In particular IT looks vulnerable. From what your seeing is it predominantly the housed or unhoused that are leaving for higher pay. From the podcast it's 5 years experience there looking for

Most of our employment is in small business, one would imagine many of them could fold from the inflationary pressures. Many also had significant debt issues after the last crash, could these resurface in rushed interest rate rising environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

House prices are linked to wages there is no getting away from that. 85% of all housing transactions are from FTB’s and movers with 15% relating to investment funds and the state.

People give out about the housing situation with one lot demanding more social housing which results in a short supply for buyers and another lot demanding less state intervention. A balance has to be found somewhere but as I have said many times once the government focus on one area of housing it’s at the expense of another area.

I am surprised that your looking for higher pay for newer civil servants whilst your previous post is critical of government spending.

in relation to job churn I see it all levels of experience and with home owners and renters. It happens in waves where one person moves gets a 10-15% pay rise in additional to WFH and only needing to go into the office once a month as opposed to a few days each week.

I should also point out they are moving to equivalent role elsewhere and then once word gets out and thanks to referral bonuses another 10 move to the same company. it’s a game of musical chairs with people picking up pay rises above inflation each time they move. Have even seen a situation where one company hired staff from company A and then other staff in that company left to move to Company A with all picking up a nice bumb in pay in the process.

I do agree that housing is causing issues with over 50% of job offers to immigrants falling through once they realise that they can’t find housing and this is despite a housing allowance being offered over and above regular pay. It’s a regular occurrence now to get emails from work offering to rent any property or rooms directly with guarantees in an effort to find accommodation for new joiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well, your health and your job are your two most important assets in that order and if there are considerable layoffs there will be a massive reduction in demand, particularily if those layoffs mean people leaving Ireland for one reason or another. That's a simple enough outlook mind but it's probably what is coming.

It will make it harder to get a mortage, depending on your circumstances, but it should effect the supply of houses.

I'm not calling for higher ps pay, it was merely an example of existing conditions to show how house prices and rents have moved way ahead of people's incomes. This gets found out eventually.

Quantitative easing theory works on a trickle down effect. In reality it has resulted in a hoover up. This will get found out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I think that "trickle down" may have worked in the past, but it's becoming increasingly clear that consolidation of wealth is happening all over the world. Funny money is great if you're the first person to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Maybe that's why they want to get Bertie back, he might bring a more prudent and conservative approach LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭jj880

Hard to beat a Bertie budget. Pay rises and tax breaks for all. No quarry or bank regulation either. Go away and commit suicide if you dont agree with his policies. Bertie for president. Great lad and true patriot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Bertie does what bertie wants and that's all that matters. What a guy, probally drinking in pints in Fagans canvasing and chatting all the garth brooks fans last week end. A true campaign man, crazy they are looking for him back shows how Fianna Fail have lost a lot of their original voting base by joining Fine Gael and maybe pitching this might price some of the die harder baby boomer generation to vote for them again.

Anyway I'd love to see it happen just to see the carnage that would follow

Look at the school transport fiasco, nothing learned from the free gp care. Same mistakes repeated over and over again to grab a newspaper headline. Populism at its finest

There is some leadership vacum all around the world.

Now were going taxing the bejaysus out of renewable energy, no effort to push demand onto off peak hours at reduced rates to prevent these renewable sources being switched off when there is an abundance of wind

We installed smart meters across the country, installing smart politicians is beyond us

Of course the politically correct crew say we can't plug in the washing machine at night in case it goes on fire. I'm sure the same crowd have been plugging out there fridges every night since the greenfell tower fire was started by a fridge

If we could keep them busy developing voting machines, they'd cost the taxpayer less

#bringbackbertie

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Germany are shutting down their second largest steel plant.due to energy shortages. Can hou imagine fir one moment what that is going to do to the cost of steel n this country. It will decimate the construction industry. I dont know whats heading down the tracks but Germany is the industrial powe horse if Eutope, if they go under, we totally fecked.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/arcelormittal-shut-blast-furnace-german-plant-gas-prices-soar-2022-09-02/

Well what can one expect? We have have a system in Ireland, and the West at large, where those who make the decisions are utterly shielded from any consequences for their actions. The worst that can happen to a politician is that he or she loses his seat. For a civil servant, there is nothing at all except perhaps an early retirement.

Until the day comes when bureaucrats and politicians face severe punishments for misdeeds, Ireland will stumble from one disaster to the next.

Goldman Sachs, the vampirical squids, are predicting a significant drop in gas prices in the winter, perhaps a bit of a silver lining after 2-6 months of insanely high household bills come through from October - March, a silver lining maybe that could result in a short, sharp recession of maybe 6-8 months next year after those high bills obliterate many SMEs.

But then of course we'll probably have 3% interest rates.

Elsewhere, more "sky is blue today" news; again, I want to say that Ireland is a unique basket case with its housing crisis - do not believe other European cities are experiencing the same problems as us. They at least have supply, with the cost being the bigger issue in other places.

The French embassy warning its citizens to be very careful moving to Ireland due to the housing crisis, wow!

This news will be terribly damaging for Ireland Inc and a further movement of the lid of the coffin over the corpse of the MNC tax boon (the lid hovered over the coffin when the cash dried up in silicon valley, now our housing crisis will ultimately close the lid of the coffin).

The French Embassy in Ireland is warning those who are relocating here from France, that Ireland is currently experiencing "a severe housing crisis" and that new arrivals face significant difficulties in finding accommodation.

"The strong demand and the saturation of the rental market have led to a sharp increase in rents, which are currently much more expensive than in Paris, including shared accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭jj880

Daniel knows its time to get out! Now just needs some sap to pony up quick.

This may be a strange thing to say, but the idea of NOT having a recession seems more worrying to me. Consider if, after winter, the markets recover and the looming recession/depression does not materialise. House prices willing continue to rise, mass immigration will keep on rolling and accommodation will become simply impossible to acquire, which is not good for anyone, save the slum lords and investment funds. Weighed against that, I'd rather take my chances in a recession.

The state has demonstrated that it has no interest in resolving the housing crisis. Indeed, I would opine that those making the decisions here are benefiting greatly from this mess, for how many politicians and civil servants are invested in property? Beyond that, if one is not trying to buy a home or find a place to live, an out of control housing market does really matter, so likely it is of no consequence to such people.

Realistically, however, whether there is an economic upset in the next few months or in a a few years, there will be one eventually. The longer things go on as they are, the worse the fall out will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@jimmybobbyschweiz

The French embassy warning its citizens to be very careful moving to Ireland due to the housing crisis, wow!

The bit that caught my eye is accommodation fraud. I am not one bit surprised because fibbing/timewasting/dishonesty are endemic in the A&P market. Other countries may be more expensive but they at least cut the chase and legally mandate a certain level of honesty in adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I think the horse has bolted. We are going to have a recession no matter what we do now. There is no way the government can cover energy prices for all people and SMEs, Inflation flying up on everything and if someone has to borrow to get through interest rates are going through the roof (this includes our government). Also with our open economy we will be more impacted in what happens to Germany, UK and the US - All 3 are in serious trouble. I can see a flip in emigration, tax take and unemployment figures in the next 12/24 months so demand is going to be emigrating, dole queues rising and income tax declining.. People simply will stop spending on areas of the economy they once did ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Goodness, are you sure you're not propqueries? No sign of recession yet locally in Dublin, I guess once the electricity bills start to come in things may change?

I haven't seen much to suggest a recession either. Some people have told me that they are worried, but the shops are packed every Saturday whenever I've been there. This is why I'm not sure that there will be a major recession in the near-future.

However, Fliball123 does have a very valid point when he (or she) says that Ireland is very exposed to international troubles. Germany is in a bad place with the gas supply, and the US and UK do have major issues to contend with. If the technology sector takes a dive, and there are early signs that it is cooling off, Ireland could lose a major source of employment and tax revenues.

None of us know for sure what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Its not here just yet remember SMEs have only come off covid supports, people had a splurge for the first 6/7/8 months of the year with being released from their homes during Covid. September is always the month when outlook turns to a more negative outlook no matter what condition the economy is in for a lot of people the good weather is gone and the back to school costs are kicking in and people fix their mind towards the xmas.

So you see no signs of a recession REALLY.

So to me signs that we are going into a recession

Germany/UK/US all you have to do is a quick google to see the mire of sh1t they are in there is no way we will escape scott free from their issues we are too open an economy

Interest rates/inflation rising.

Construction numbers down.

Growth predictions are being revised downwards.

Consumer sentiment down.

Hiring freezes in the tech sector.

I just hope your not caught by suppressed come Spring/Summer of next year when things will have really changed.

I was looking on numbeo there and the difference in rent between Dublin and Paris is staggering. Not only that, but salaries on average are almost as high in Paris than in Dublin.

(Don't look at mortgage interest rates difference as it will be too depressing).

I have no idea why anyone would want to come to this country...

I've been told by foreign colleagues and friends that they absolutely loath Ireland. I even know a few people have left high paying jobs because it's just not worth it to remain when they must pay huge rent for bad accommodation.

However, if you're after the welfare and freebies, things may seem different...

It really is a horrible place to live at the moment, no good news stories at all. And whats worse the Government don't care...

• Advertisement

If you are coming from another European city, it must feel like a mix of the UK and the US, with little continental or Scandanavian European influence, with its grotesque hyper consumerism, car-focused cities and towns, homogenised shopping districts, poor environmental credentials and general inequality between renters (most immigrants of the last few years would be renters) and homeowners (mainly made up of the native Irish).

The economy has been propped up with an imported underclass which essentially embeds institutional racism in the country; all those English language students coming in and doing low paid jobs in hospitality, food factories etc., cramming into overpriced rented bedrooms in order to keep wages low and profits and rents high; the American neoliberal dream of which Ireland has attempted to replicate. The State has made little effort to give these people a real chance of making a sustainable and long-term life for themselves as it is expected that there will be a constant flow from the lesser developed countries to keep the whole gravy train going.

Ireland is closer to Boston than Berlin and I see why someone from Netherlands, France, Germany, Poland etc would find it poor value in terms of the quality of life provided. Affordable housing built en masse would've prevented this situation where the word is out that Ireland is now closed for business and represents poor value for money.

Advertisement