Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I didn't know there was a new entrance going at Preston St. Is that in the Connolly Quarter project planning? Horrible street to have an entrance from, but maybe that'll change.

Removal of the bus stop is a new change though, isn't it? So DCC, Dublin bus, haven't consulted Irish Rail I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

It's part of the Dart+ W / SW Railway Order. See attached PDF for Connolly. It's a fantastic plan to open up the station and improve access.

I always find it frustrating that you can see the Dart platform from Amiens Street but it takes forever to get there.

You can see in the image below, the platforms in Red, proposed new entrance in Blue and the bus stops in Purple.

They plan to remove the stop beside Preston Street, so you'll need to get a bus to main entrance of Connolly and walk all the way backwards. Or get off at the start of Amiens (Seville Place) and walk up to Preston Street.

I used to get dropped to the dart for school. You could see the train coming over the bridge, as I was getting out of the car at Buckingham St., and still be able to make it, using the old entrance there that's now converted to an office.

Yeah apparently that old stop was closed due to high anti social behaviour. The plans for the new entrance include opening up ALL the arches under the platforms which is a HUGE area. They will have some shops and cafes there.

If they execute it right it could be really cool and massively improve the connection to the platforms. Hence why I'm so annoyed that DCC are removing this bus stop. A huge oversight on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

...Although a lot of the "Homes" around there aren't really homes.

Eh, what?

Work hasn't even finished at the Alfie Byrne section, and already there's plans for a diversion for some other DCC works nearby. 🤣

Digging up the pipes probably uncovered more issues. One can only hope they're not digging up work they've just completed. Sadly it wouldn't surprise!

I'm also curious what is meant by "not really homes".....

The not really homes comment, to me, comes across as meaning the houses that have multiple bedsits in them. But maybe that's just my cynical thinking.

Well where did that map come from and what does it say they are working on? There have been ‘temporary’ sandbags all along that area for years, maybe something do do with that? Doesn’t look like anything to do with recently completed works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That area hasn't been rederveloped. Current works only start at the "corner" of the water

No, it's to do work on the stormwater outfall there, to improve it. But it looks like they expect pedestrians and cyclists to share the footpath by the road.

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/environment/middle-wad-flood-alleviation-scheme-contract-e-clo-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A bedsit is a (hopefully temporary) home for many.

Generally if at least the road surface is properly remade after the works, it'll be something. Works followed by bad resurfacing mightn't be noticed in a car, tho it does damage given time, but it's worse on a bicycle (they seem to be splurging on cycle lanes with a usual low quality surfaces), but I also mean in standard lanes, which someone uses after the junction with Alfie Byrne rd. I hope that lane doesn't have those kissing gates. A Guard could sometimes do his job and not allow rowdies to bring scramblers and whatever down off road cycle routes (tho the rangers in Tymon Park have no issue chasing them down in their pickup), if that might never be an issue there amongst the 'quality' of Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Seeing all these dumper trucks and diggers moving round has me starting to think why don’t construction vehicles pay any road tax/NCT? 🤔

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. We don't have road tax
    2. NCT is for cars. The CVRT for commercial vehicles including the following...
    • Fast (>40km/h) tractors
    • Compressor
    • Concrete pump
    • Drain cleaner
    • Hoist or crane
    • Road gritter or chip spreader
    • Road maintenance vehicle
    • Road tar sprayer
    • Travelling machine or workshop
    • Watering or sweeping machine
    • Driller

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

But no sign of any discs on diggers or dumper trucks (road maintenance vehicles surely).

I was sitting today, waiting for the signal to change to Go in the sh1tfest that is Irish Water’s attempt to change the water pipes in Clontarf and a mini digger was pushing a digger head (or whatever they are called) along the road gouging a big hole in the road as he went. Didn’t give a toss. 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Not sure what time you are passing through here but as somebody who does a few times a week on the bus there is huge traffic disruption. Fairview is full from 7:00 onwards and there are definite tailbacks from that onto the Malahide Road (don't know what the Howth and Clontarf Roads are like). Also the amount of traffic now coming of the Ballybough Road onto Portland Row means that there are delays back on the NCR coming on to Portland Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭bikeman1

That’s been like that for years and years in September. Once the buses get past the idiot drivers blocking the junctions and past Edges Corner they have the road to themselves along with the bikes and can sail in to 5 lamps.

I was there this morning, looked to be good compliance and a huge number of bikes which was great to see.

My comment about traffic being busy was a direct response to a poster who said it wasn't busy. It's mad busy and there is extra disruption because of the restrictions. This isn't a reason not to do the works but despite some people trying to pretend there isn't any knock-on effects the reality is that there is disruption.

Ironically it's now a fraction slower on the bus in the mornings from Fairview to Amiens Street at the moment because there are less opportunities for buses to overtake bikes with only one inbound lane. But again this will change when the project is completed and cyclists and buses are in different lanes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've been taking the Howth Road, and it's same as it's always been. Bit more of a delay through fairview and onwards, but that was to be expected.

Hi there. I cycle the route every day from Fairview into town at different times, but usually between 8 and 9. I'd often be out earlier than that running so I get a good idea of the traffic build-up between Howth Road and Fairview Strand. I've been living in and commuting to and from the area by bike, car and bus for 27 years at different times of the day so I have a very good idea of the historical traffic flows throughout the area.

It is not worse than ever. It gets busy at rush hour, sure, but Philipsburgh Ave, Fairview Strand, Fairvew have always been clogged to the gills at busy times. It is definitely moving better at the moment - not because of the works themselves, but because motor traffic is avoiding the area and (hopefully) more people are using alternative means. Your bus might be fractionally slower because of difficulty overtaking the bikes - I understand that, and it's inevitable at the moment - but that's fair enough isn't it? There are also a few 'special' car and van drivers who like to abuse the bus lane, but you will always have that, and they slow the buses through the Five Lamps junction more than cyclists, I would think. There's a delayed red towards Amiens St at that junction too the last couple of weeks, it's not obvious to me why (not because of pedestrian lights), maybe to ensure the junction is safely cleared?

There are a lot more bikes on the route at certain times (especially between 8 and 9) or at least it seems that way, which is great to see and I definitely feel a lot safer surrounded by other bikes than by buses and vans and cars.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nice to see. Love his maniacal laugh when he sees the guards.

And I've been commuting in this route for the same length of time (bar a few years in the middle) and yes I know Fairview has always been busy but there is more disruption because of the works. It's simply inevitable. Maybe some traffic is avoiding the area but it's worse than it used to be. There are knock-on effects beyond Fairview itself that aren't immediately apparent, such as Portland Row and the NCR.

And no, the few cars that ignore the restrictions don't slow down the buses more than the cyclists because they are moving at the same speed as the buses. The bikes do because inevitably they are travelling slower. It's just the reality of the restrictions and I experiece it three times a week so please don't tell me it doesn't happen.

I'll keep saying it, I'm not against the works because in the longer term it's better for everyone involved - cars, buses and bikes - but there is disruption which is mainly felt by those commuting by car and I don't see why people keep trying to say otherwise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, it's definitely worse. Not to the extent that some doom merchants were banging on about, but it's still worse than what it was. I think that some people want to see progress in these types of projects that they'd almost ignore or brush over the evidence right in front of their eyes. In fairness to them, I can see why they think that way too, with a media that continually misrepresents nearly everything about these public transport infrastructure projects in a vastly negative light, and a wider population that doesn't have any interest in these types of projects until it impacts upon them, hence the whole "we weren't consulted" whingefests all the time.

At the end of the day, all these delays are ultimately necessary for this project to go ahead. I can't see a way of doing this project without this level of disruption, and this project is definitely worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I cycled through Fairview yesterday and it was actually the buses holding up the cyclists. There were 3 buses in a row so when the front one had to stop they all had to stop. There were 5 or 6 cyclists stuck behind them.

In general buses don't move much faster the bicycles

Buses are so much slower than cycles, even when there is no congestion. People give out to cyclists, but within the city every other road user gets in the way of cyclists…..not the other way around

Well we can agree to differ. As a resident I’m happy with the works and how they are affecting our own mobility into and out of the area at all times of day and night. Your own experience seems to be based on the main through route, mine extends to the areas where traffic is being diverted as well.

By the way, re cars slowing buses, I meant by being in the queue at the lights. Only so many vehicles will get through. The more selfish drivers ignoring the signs, the longer buses have to wait at lights. Bikes have always been the fastest vehicles on the stretch of road we are talking about, and have always shared the lane, so can’t slow the buses compared to pre-works. It’s just an illusion between stops, because buses can’t overtake. That’s built into the design.

Happy commuting!

I don't think you understand how traffic flow works. When a bus stops to let passengers alight and board, that's time when a cyclist is still moving. So busses are constantly playing catch up to cyclists moving at a faster pace than them.

Yeah, I often find myself held up by busses, waiting for a break in oncoming traffic so I can overtake safely.

• Advertisement

And I don't think you understand that I'm the one experiencing this and I can tell you that at the moment the journey is marginally slower and it is caused by a lack of overtaking opportunities for buses because of only one inbound lane. It's not a lot but it is slower. I've only been doing this journey for years now.

It's truly amazing how you all seem to know far more about what I'm experiencing as opposed to myself who is actually sitting on the bus seeing it happen. Dear God, no wonder people talk about the arrogance of cyclists. Don't bother replying. I'm out of this conversation.

Advertisement