Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Ah yeah, sure we supported 8 million people before.

The idea between letting immigrants into Ireland.. its to supply cheap labour, and to pay rent to the REITs.

The whole thing is a scam.

Anyone who speaks up about, then you are a right wing racist.

I am planning to emigrate, as I think this country is finally Fcuked.

Post edited by Viscount Aggro on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Plans on becoming an immigrant whilst complaining about immigrants.

Seems legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

And do you think the gang who have been "steering us " for the past ten years are doing a good job?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My head remains wobble free thanks. Syrian refugees have also noted this difference in response, though their fellow Arabs with the exceptions of Turkey and Jordan gave two fecks about them, instead pointed them west, even threw them out. Over a million Syrians ended up within the EU, Germany took the most, around half if memory serves(though not without some "cultural problems", so frankly I'm quite glad we didn't take too many and only took in actual women, kids and families.), Greece and Italy both EU members were heavily stressed by the numbers. There were huge queues of Syrians and the usual pick and mix of chancers among them lining up on roads into the EU. Did your memory hole swallow up those images. Convenient. The EU has already paid billions to Turkey to keep the Syrians there and away from the EU and is considering more, or was last year. That was the directive there. We've too many, a million is enough thanks very much, here's a few billion to Turkey to keep them sweet and the war refugees out of the EU. Yet with Ukrainans...

But we're also talking about Ireland. No other EU nation, directive or not has handed out close to what we're handing out, or with the exception of Poland and Germany in the numbers involved. France has taken in 100,000 under the same directive, so around double of Ireland, yet France has a population thirteen times larger. And they're not giving them close to the benefits we are. If or when we hit 100,000 here we'll be on a par with Germany per population and again they're not giving them close to the same benefits. Ukrainian refugees in Germany get 330 euros per month and only after checks. We're giving 200 plus per week with zero checks. If anyone was interested in "shopping around for the best deals" in the EU, Ireland is top of the list by nearly every metric.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

No they were wrong.

We will have an eternal housing shortage if we keep giving houses out for free to all comers. On the plus side the taxpayer will eventually cop on and hopefully elect a government who don't spend taxpayers money like drunken sailors.

• Advertisement

You are making my point for me.

Millions of Ukrainians refugees poured into the EU in mere days.

That didn't and couldn't have happened with Syria. Again look at the map you posted.

It's geography not racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭archfi

Is your question 'are/have they always been pretty useless? - If so, yes. And that includes almost all opposition parties/TDs which sing from the same hymn sheet. Democracy FTW.

I mean anyone with one braincell could have foreseen the insanity of 'no limits'/'all welcome' when coupled with zero plan or resources. It's a massive fck up in the 'steering us' as a nation responsibility of government.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You know it's a simple enough concept. We are struggling to provide for our own in terms of housing. We can't provide adequate health care for our children for example. Yet we seem to want to bring in refugees who we simple cannot accommodate.

We really should be looking after our own Generation X before we agree to take in an unlimited amount of refugees.

However if you mention the above the likes of Paul Murphy will label you far right and a danger to democracy.

I can guarantee you one thing. If these Refugees were coming from Africa and not the Ukraine then attitudes would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

This country was over a long time ago. We are a puppet of our EU overlords now.

The same EU we took to court to give a private American company back 13 billion?

Forever tilting at windmills.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope. We're not. Not even close. We can't offload our ills and internal stupidity to Brussels, like we conveniently did with London and then Rome in the past.The vast majority of problems Ireland faces are down to us, the muppets we vote in repeatedly and our civil service.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

I'd be more inclined to believe there was no direct EU support/directive for Syrian refugees because there was thousands of returning ISIS fighters amongst them. Politicians look to 5 years down the road and if they signed off an EU order saying X amount of Syrian's have to be housed here and then some of them turn out to be extremists that knife randomers or drive trucks into crowds... How does that look for their next election?

Not the same gig with Ukraine, it's only a win/win for politicians to take refugees in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Why? Are Ukranians getting the vote now?

Nonsense lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Like Sinn Fein?

They'll suggest doubling their benefits.

As many have said if there was a party willing to grasp the immigration nettle I'd vote for them over anybody else.Im not even talking so much about the Ukrainians as although there are chancers the vast majority of them didn't plan to be in this situation.

The economic migrant issue will eventually take over from the Ukrainians and then the fun will start.

Currently there's no viable party to vote for to deal with this but either a party will form and rapidly expand or one of the main parties will shift focus.It won't happen over night,but this will absolutely come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

No there is nothing wrong with people working low paid jobs (if they were irish you would most likely say, they should upskill, change industry, move somewhere less expensive)but the government's logic is as follows. Import them in to a country overwhelmed with a housing crisis plus a multitude of other issues, a shambles of a healthcare service, crazy childcare costs,almost non existent public transport in rural areas etc. Pay them a low wage and where shall they live in the future? (You know when some of the hotels buckle under their crippling utility bills, ah its grand the government can buy them aswell, probably get them cheap if things get bad enough)Non existent social housing? Be subsided to privately rent non existent private rentals? Buy non existent affordable homes? Plenty of "our own" do and are willing to work for low pay. Silly me they are going home I forgot.

Post edited by CeCe12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

BS again,

Greece EU member.

"Greek Island of Kos, Overwhelmed With Migrants, Tries to Move Them Along".

Source at the time NY Times.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/world/europe/greece-kos-migrants-refugees-syria.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

No, in my eyes it's like this:

Businessmen/women who lobby our politicians/political parties get cheap/cash-in-hand labor for the short term to backfill all the lost positions from people not returning to work after covid.

Politicians themselves will waffle on about how the housing crisis is now the fault of the Ukrainian's which is a nice distraction from their inaction the previous years. Keeping the rents high and housing scarce only serves them. Some are landlords and those who aren't, get lobbied by groups that own property so it's benefits them in the long run and keeps them in their power/position.

If you haven't noticed in recent times by the way, your vote counts for nothing nowadays. All elections, worldwide, are susceptible to foreign interference and have been for a while now.

I'm not for one second blaming any Ukrainian for doing what they're doing, I'm blaming me, you, every other Irish person for watching wordlessly while our Government continues to rape us.

Elephant in the room. Unlimited Ukrianinan immigration taking space's provided to Irish passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Agree with all that. SF would be even more of a disaster, though outdoing Roderick the Gormless will require some doing. Scary thought.

Sweden has eventually copped on but too late. We do have a responsibility to take some legitimate refugees but we are being taken advantage of by our own NGO refugee industry and tens of thousands of economic migrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

This was a desperate situation which we as EU members did our bit (other states did more).We had an obligation to help these desperate people.Once this war is over and Putin gone the majority of these Ukranians will return home to help rebuild their country and society.We should be proud that we were able to help fellow Europeans in their hour of need.Even if some of us found it inconvienent.

Did millions pour into that small island in a few days? no, no they didn't. This is the first time we have activated the directive.

Stop making a show of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In case there was any doubt, SF have clarified they are in full agreement with the government re the OP's question

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not really though.

There was not enough capacity in the first place once they opened it up to all ,

We've 7000 Ukrainian children In schools here not all are on school buses but we need to have about 25,000 seats to cover all those in need

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees entering Ireland?

clearly not, and the people who say yes...what are you smoking?

what happens if 500k arrive over?

that'll never happen!

but it could. just have the balls to set the limit that we can deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

So Ireland doesn't have control over its own borders?

You do know what the European Union is right?

You know the whole freedom of movement, etc?

Well think of Ukrainian refugees as temporary EU citizens. This is all in the directive that I assume you have read?

Any more questions, just ask. Glad to oblige. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This 10000%

all about getting cheap labour, getting tills of businesses ringing more often and getting the schmucks.. ie.. the rest of us to suffer and pay for it…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Do you understand what an Eu Directive is?

Focus you thoughts on the definition of "directive"

Let's see what you come up with.

Use Google

Your description is too basic and doesn't actually address my question.

• Advertisement

I'm very familiar with it I have actually read it. Have you?

We took the choice to incorporate into our laws. Denmark chose not, but still created a law to mimic it.

What's your exact problem?

Advertisement