Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Nobody said the term "women" isn't appropriate, a Tweet was shared about a certain experience shared by people who have given birth. How? By referring to people who have given birth as "birthing people." How exclusionary! The sheer tyranny. What's next from the wokites? FORCED HYSTERECTOMIES?

Not every person who gives birth considers themselves a woman, nor does every woman give birth. People who give birth = birthing people. Simple as that.

Highlighting all of this is just someone who is uncomfortable with transpeople existing, and the change in language since ignoring them is becoming more and more taboo. This all reminds me of all that "marriage is sacred and strictly between a man and a woman" stuff from 15 years ago. They were trying to legitimise homophobia then, and they're trying to legitimise transphobia now.

I don't know what "Tavistock" is, incidentally. I'm sure it's something outrageous and woke.

It's difficult to be trans, it's difficult to be an abuse survivor, a war survivor, a torture survivor, it's difficult to lose a child, a parent or spouse/partner early in life, to lose a sibling, a friend, it's difficult to have a degenerative or terminal illness, to lose the use of one's legs, to have an extreme facial disfigurement or disability... all of these people have to go about their days with constant reminders and triggers... but it only seems to be trans ideology that demands alteration of language and definition.

What ISN'T difficult is for a man to state absurdities like women who take issue with redefining the meaning of woman/language change excluding women = having a problem with trans people existing.

By that logic I could say that that poster just doesn't give a sh1t about women... but I won't, because I can't read minds and I have arguments, not cheap shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,080 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Post edited by silverharp on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Why change if the old term - "women" - isn't appropriate any more?

Tavistock has been front page headlines in Irish newspapers recently; it's well worth you reading up on. It's the NHS' gender dysphoria department for kids which has been shut down for, among other things, giving false diagnoses, having many of its own psychiatrists complain of internal bullying if they challenged a diagnosis of gender dysphoria (by suggesting that in fact it's linked to depression, autism, a brain impact, or even just confusion over sexuality), and failing to keep any real record or analysis of treatments and clients and the drugs they proscribe.

In other words, it's the "no criticism allowed" argument that you're pushing, when really we should be challenging the bigger issue as, at least in part, nonsense.

Because otherwise in the real world, people are going to suffer (like the client who has in fact successfully sued them)

But hey, something something inclusion I'm sure.

Anyways, back to the mockery of stupidity (though a fair bit of stuff on here lately has fallen short, for sure)

At least you're honest enough to admit your massive prejudice against trans people. Well you are now at least.

Can you extend that honesty to admit that you posted that post about "birthing people" so people would join you in having a go at them? Admit you weren't being fun and light hearted. You wanted people to join you in an anti trans pile on. I see right through you.

• Advertisement

Be. More. Subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It excludes women.

Again, we are not merely a biological function or a body part.

We are women, not birthing people, people who menstruate, people who breastfeed, people with a cervix, vulva-owners, vagina-owners, ovarian custodians, or people with breasts. We are women, and that's a biological fact rather than me getting my fallopian tubes in a knot (to save anyone the accusation).

You are a man, not a person who ejaculates, a person with a penis, a producer of semen, a person with a prostate or a scrotum-owner.

What is wrong with the terms trans woman or trans man? Why do you get your vas deferens in a knot over it?

Are we to believe the girl posted about here who identifies as a cat is actually a cat? Should her parents leave her out at night to hunt? Put a litter tray on the ground and expect her to lick her arse clean after toileting? The answer is no, because she is not a cat.

Who's saying you can't call yourself a woman? Nobody, that's who. All of this "exclusionary" stuff from your rant is in your own head. Ultimately you're telling people what they can and can't call themselves ("why not just say you're a transwoman?") instead of the other way around. Live and let live.

You really are a master of those classic boards.ie diversionary tactics. "You don't really mean that," "of course you don't mean ALL trans activists" and accusing people of operating wind up accounts. Call me a troll all you like but at least I'm not a bigot.

Is it in my head that these terms are now used by health professionals? Why should language be changed for fear of upsetting transpeople?

Care to address the rest of my post?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-56007728.amp

3 examples from a very quick google. People who chestfeed FFS!

• Advertisement

The classic tactic of pretending you said something completely different to what you actually posted. Objecting to being called a body function or part is twisted into being transphobic. Thanked by his trusty sidekick too.

Why should language be changed for fear of upsetting transpeople?

Language changes all the time in order not to upset people and vice versa. Words such as “idiot,” “moron” etc used to be medical terms. Some of the worst racial and homophobic slurs you can think of started off as mainstream descriptors until they shifted to insults and shifted again to words so ugly that they are practically unutterable. That’s language for you. Get used to it.

Frankly if phrases such as “person with testicles” or whatever enters the mainstream in order to make a minority of the population feel more included, then I am all for it. I suspect you and your friend up there would be all for it too if it related to traditional “right on” neoliberal demographics of acceptance: such as black people or homosexuals.

However trans acceptance is “too far” for the 45 year old boomers of boards who think society peaked in 2007 and just wish everything should go back to the way things were before the financial crisis.

Incidentally you have an unreal sense of entitlement, with almost every interaction with I have had with you you make demands for an explanation for my sig, that I respond to stupid points about girls licking their own arses and so on. Here’s a gendered term you’ll be happy with: you’re such a Karen. Get over yourself.

The classic tactic of pretending you said something completely different to what you actually posted.

Except that didn’t happen. That poster did come in here to have a go at trans people, and they have a long history of same on boards.ie. They shouldn’t be so annoyed because someone wouldn’t hop on the pile on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

More attempted bullying. Now you're commenting on which posters like which posts.

I have been infracted for saying how many people liked a post but here you are trying include a poster in your abuse for liking a post.

That's totally the sort of behaviour I would associate with someone arguing in good faith. /s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

"Live and let live" is far too simplistic. As the Tavistock scandal - which you've ignored again - is showing.

Medical people unquestioningly pandering to dubious ideologies is damaging people's lives. That was a central element to the court case, which the NHS lost because the claimant successfully argued that the NHS psychiatrists hadn't challenged her enough on her condition, and as a result she was needlessly subjected to very invasive surgery, with attendant mental health issues.

Maybe you're ok with that though, because "inclusion" and end of debate. Certainly you're speaking like the (losing) defendants in the court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Sorry don't think you ever clarified if the us democrat party are "the left" or not?

Those posters genuinely think their personal attacks and caterwauling is righteous. They really can’t get over the idea that anyone is invading their safespace for piling on the underprivileged in our society. The sense of entitlement is incredible. It’s a discussion forum for god’s sake.

Like I always say, I hope this thread is open in perpetuity. Showing up the righteous bigots is like shooting fish in a barrel. It’s an honour.

The only issue they have is the societal pressure to allow transwoman into women's prisons, changing areas, sports etc with no acknowledgement of potential problems.

Report the post if you think there's an issue or a double standard at play.

• Advertisement

What was that you were saying about trusty sidekicks? 😂 Youse are thick as thieves, like two nuts in a sack.

I've read her posts, it might surprise you to know that we disagree on other issues.

You've levelled ageism (45 year boomer) and a misogynistic trope (Karen) at me, how does that fit into your inclusive and bekind ideology? That and the earlier "bitchfit" reference seems very at odds. You're wrong on my age BTW, and I don't spend my days complaining to managers.

Tavishock (which I have since been able to read a little about) doesn’t have anything to do with references to “birthing people,” bar a superficial connection with transpeople.

Like I said a few weeks ago, this “they’re coming after our kids” stuff is a common tactic when shovelling shït on minority groups. The Russian government did something similar before the 2014 Olympics, urging gay people not to groom kids when they were visiting Sochi and so on.

I am against child abuse in every form and I do believe that there is some ambiguity about teenagers transitioning. However I am also smart enough to know that the “think of the children” angle is exploited by people to demonise trans people, like it was with gay people in the recent past.

Similarly with changing rooms and combat sports, they are topics relating to the trans community with grey moral areas therefore (for some people in this thread, not me) their whole existence as transpeople is immoral. The kind of people who parrot these views are what I call useful idiots.

I clarified numerous times that they are to the left socially, and more right-wing economically? Good lord, psychosis. Truly.

Attempted bullying - because you said "The classic tactic of pretending you said something completely different to what you actually posted. Objecting to being called a body function or part is twisted into being transphobic. Thanked by his trusty sidekick too". Where in that post is there possibly bullying? Every word of it is accurate. I mean if that's bullying, then the Livia posts are uber bullying.

That's what the guy behind the "Livia" account does though - the statement that someone said something which they didn't say at all, the insults, the various other unfounded claims and wild conclusions, absurdity (e.g. "language changes", giving the example of "idiot", as if "woman"/"mother" is on a par with that) and the hypocrisy, which they're completely aware of. It's just a cyber-bullying campaign by a group of guys for years, who in particular target women. You can be sure they are NOT woke. 😊

And are laughing their holes off right now.

Cyber-bullying can affect less savvy people badly though. They should consider that rather than convincing themselves over and over it's only a laugh.

We STRONGLY disagree on one particular issue! 😊

I don't read all the vitriolic rants but oh he said boomer and Karen, wow.

It's just a cyber-bullying campaign by a group of guys for years, who in particular target women. You can be sure they are NOT woke. 😊

Evidence please. Your mate Berties Horse used to say the same thing. All without a sliver of evidence.

I seem to recall being accused of “bullying” more male posters than female posters in my time here. Cognitive Dissident, Bertie’s Horse, klaz. All men who I have been falsely accused of bullying. All men who have used Boards to share odious, vile comments towards women, Tony Holohan, or Africans.

I have provided evidence for all of those in the past. You? You bandy about accusations of bullying, wind up accounts, and conspiracy theories. All because you can’t stand someone confronting you on your odious views. It’s called debate for gods sake.

It's quite remarkable that you've copied Bertie's sig, I'm sure he's immeasurably flattered at the gesture.

• Advertisement

Then the doubling down and gas-lighting, like "odious views" over not wanting woman redefined. And pretending it's debate.

Pretending to be mad over the allegations that they're on a windup with their mates is another part of it. They WANT people to see this. See image above (it's only the Livia and Emmet accounts that are used for toxicity, the others are grand).

The evidence is them being a team on the etiquette thread, back slapping each other, Livia being Woke Hogan and AdrianBalboa - all very abusive accounts saying the same things and having some laugh I'd say. The way some of them will come along to defend each other. Plus some of us have been on this website in various guises for years upon years, and know the histories of various stuff, members, but obviously can't go into it.

But anyway, women who don't have, and never had, a problem with trans people (women are more compassionate towards trans people in general) are being demonised now for objecting to aspects of gender identity ideology which are appallingly undermining of women. It's the new misogyny - much coming from "feminist" men, who have no issue with using sexist and ageist terms like right-wing men would use. And this lot have tapped into that for the laugh. You have to ignore most trolling - but this I won't, because it's misogyny. "Benevolent" misogyny maybe, but it still demonises, ridicules, insults and undermines women.

They're having a laugh at me right now, but what of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement