Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Worries If Not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Really disappointing. In saying that, of that bunch, Justine Stafford is the only genuinely funny person

I suppose Instsgram sketches etc. don't always translate well to TV, when they suit more snappy style videos/editing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched it...couple of laughs.

I do like Michael Fry on twitter and the koh samui song was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭FlicFlak

I watched the second half of this the other night. Thought it was extremely poor, dont know if its just me and my sense of humor but nothing really had a punchline, no jokes and nothing ever built up to anything. I understand parody and the like but couldnt find anything funny!

The bit with the man and woman entering some talent show, trying to get people to vote for them around town, and the weirdo they dont like but he thinks hes their best friend, it just stopped!! Nothing funny happened!

And the song at the end, looked like they had more fun making it than anyone watching it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Just watched the first episode of the new RTE sketch comedy show. The next episode is on Thursday night. I'll give it one more chance but that first episode was dross so I don't have much hope for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

The ad told me all I needed to know painfully unfunny dross. It's a pity as I like your man Burke's short videos on instagram twitter etc the one on the bank Ads is brilliant I guess that humour just doesn't transfer to the longer format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not too sure I'd give it another go. I think I had two mild laughs during the show but mostly it was actually embarrassing to watch.

Normally you'd try to put your best foot forward for the first episode but if that's the best foot, ouch!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I was looking forward to this, and was hopeful, having seen some of their individual efforts on twitter. I hate saying it, but I hardly laughed and was rather disappointed with the 1st episode. Will see what the next episode brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Was hoping this would be so bad you'd have to see it.

But no, just dull like an Amy Huberman vehicle, wonder which one of them was so well connected as to get funding for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Neckofit

Some thoughts.

1. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put "The Sesh Report" as the opening sketch is in the wrong job. Such a weak and overdone premise.
    2. Killian doing a report on hedges def came from someone going "he did a funny bit about walls a few years ago so let's get him to do a worse bit but with hedges.
    3. The "Dublin 1998" was a really weak idea that went nowhere.
    4. Having Darren and Joe take over a woman's sketch to break the 4th wall and do a "aren't voice notes bad?!!" bit. I can't believe someone thought that was either funny or a good look.
    5. The tiktok bit about people you meet in the club felt like it lasted 8 hours and not in a good way.
    6. The sketch about the 2 siblings in a small town could have been okay if it wasn't a pretty blatant rip-off of This Country.
    7. Ending the show with a parody of a voice note that they can't play on air, that went mildly viral 3 years ago and that the vast majority of people haven't heard seems like not a great idea to me but hey, I'm sure RTE know best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wanted to look up some reviews first before watching as I enjoy the instagram sketches of everyone but I had a bad feeling this would end up being the Hardy Bucks all over again. Seems like I'll be sticking to the online stuff so

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

The Hardy Bucks was excellent for the first series or so.

RTE just cant do comedy, Savage Eye was good but they'd never be allowed do that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Agree 100% with everything in this above ☝️post

I genuinely think think that this could be the worst thing RTE have ever produced and I've seen Upwardly Mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭sully123

I liked the first day of work sketch. Very triggering

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Yea watched the second episode a few minutes ago, wasn't expect much from the adverts looked pretty safe and pedestrian and that's exactly what it was. Had to watch a few clips from The Savage Eye on youtube just to remember RTÉ used to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Neckofit

It's such a confused mess of a show. All the good elements of what these guys do online has been stripped away to be replaced by dull, by-the-numbers sketches that feel like they've been written by someone's da. Like, Irish mammy gives out to zombies wouldn't be out of place in Mrs Brown's Boys.

I missed last night's episode. Did I miss anything or was it as bad or worse than the first episode? I'll probably go onto RTE Player and watch it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

The people involved surely have to be looking at this through gaps in their fingers as tears of embarrassment stream down their face, their loved ones and friends slowly leaving the room around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

they were written by themselves, I though the zombie scene was humorous, just every sketch should be shorter and more of them.

• Advertisement

Just watched episode 2 on RTE Player.

The first sketch 'Tight Wagons' was woeful. Not even a smirk from me.

Second sketch 'Backers' was scandalously bad. Embarrassing to watch.

Third sketch about zombies......... I'm starting to lose the will to live. Zombies being told to clean up. Not even a hint of anything funny.

Acting with Andrew........... he's talking about wanting to cry............... I'm wanting to cry after watching this.

Zane Blowback ................... God almighty, this programme is getting worse.

The Boop Beep show sketch...........who came up with this crap. A talking printer that doesn't say anything funny, who'd have thunk it.

Part 1 over. The fuppin Angelus is funnier than this so far.

The Taken sketch............ how in the name of God did someone think this was funny. Not a hint of a grin from me watching it. It's seriously not funny.

London............. the Guinness ..........this sh1t is getting worse. Best sketch so far, maybe 0.000001 out of 10 for that sketch. Comedy programme me hole.

Countryside sketch .......... difference between hills and holes...........would ya ever get ta be fcuked.

New employee sketch............ so unfunny that I think if I was offered heroin, I'd take it right now.

Sibling rivalry bullsh1t .............. no way this is a comedy programme.

Thank fcuk that's the programme over.

Ok. I can say with 100% confidence that this episode was far worse than the first episode.

How RTE either funded or bought this programme is beyond me. It simply isn't remotely funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Why are you going out of your way to watch a programme on the RTE Player that you clearly loathe and writing long think pieces about how terrible it is? Surely there is a better use of your time. I don’t get it.

Have to say I’m not liking this series so far which is disappointing as I like the cast separately on their social media platforms. Think that’ll be it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Shank Williams

havent watched but sounds like a shame as like most of these guys online stuff.

why do RTE castrate good comedians- they even made Francis higgins **** on republic of telly- milust be some toxic connected waste of space people calling the shot’s behind the scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oldBirk

Seen 3 now and am concerned I'm becoming a bit masochistic.

They seem to have forgotten that comedy is supposed to make people laugh, not to feel embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's Joe.ie on screen (two of them used to work for them). The "aren't we gas lads" online comedians. The only funny one of them online is Sean Burke. Was never going to be good. Should have gotten Shane Clifford involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'm laughing more reading this thread than watching the show. Watched the first night and turned it off fairly fast but decided to give it another go the other night. Yer one going around thinking everyone is propositioning her was funny, the rest was many many poor sketches that were like all they can do is move it quickly along to the next sketch. The organised crime gang thing and a few other sketches had the potential to be funny but only ever ended up half baked. The Twins' talent search sketch just went on too long and I didn't have it in me to hang in there and keep watching what was getting worse the longer it went on, it was just so poor. Some of it just seems like laziness, that they just throw it out there anyway, even knowing that it's not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Just watched this there. Episode 3 I believe. Woeful. I mean there were sketches on it and I still don't know what they thought was funny. Really really bad.

The sketch with the magician. I don't get it, what's they joke. All I experienced was cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I liked the sketches from these people on twitter but was disappointed with the first episode. I turned it off after the first half, because it seems like RTE have RTE'd it by making them direct everything at a Dublin audience. It seems they can't break away from "northsiders sound like this, southsiders sound like this, isn't it gas when we all go to coppers" bollocks that people outside of Dublin don't give a shite about. Hardy Bucks, Rubberbandits, Young Offenders all had to build their profile independently before RTE grabbed them.

That could have just been the sketches they led with but it was enough for me to not be arsed anymore, it has all been done before by Republic of Telly. Not sure on where all the comedians are from but it does seem to be east-coast weighted compared to the mix you see pop up on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No

Advertisement