Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭omri

I believe tho its limit per household its per account really. So if you change delivery address it will still get cancelled. If you used your points discount but order got cancelled I would imagine youll get it back. Just email CS and they should sort that out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'm in the same position. Currently on bag4 of the set and will have it setup for Christmas. Noticed the 2 light kids i won't be spending €210!

Surely it's just well placed LEDs? So it shouldn't' cost more than a set of Christmas lights from Home store and more for €10 - so €40 seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I came across these ones which are more reasonable. Seem to have good reviews too

https://gameofbricks.eu/search?type=product&q=Home+alone

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

Turns out I can't use my VIP card in the Lego shops in Singapore. They have a different system there. They asked was I a member and then for my phone number. I showed them my digital VIP card and they wouldn't accept that. I was only buying a couple of small things to squeeze into my bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Saw it just a shame has to be used by the 30th of this mth

The new winter village set is up, I'm not liking this new price increase 😭 hopefully it comes into Smyth's and there are some discounts before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There was a thread on Reddit about the rising cost of Lego and how its really starting to price people out of sets.

There are some fantastic sets out there that they have placed way beyond the average punter and the recent cost increase is making it easier for people to pass on sets either fully or until a sale is on. Case in point is the new UCS Razor Crest, how many fans can/will splash out for it at €600 in this climate? Would it not have been smarter to scale it down slightly and price it around €450? There will of course always be people happy to pay it but

Whilst I'm happy to drop a decent wedge on some sets I like, the value for money is clearly dropping. The amount of sets I've bought this year is way down on previous years; not because I can't afford it but because I feel like I need to be more strategic with what I'm buying.

And whilst the cost of raw materials being up, its worth remembering that Lego's operating profit was up a mammoth 32% for 2021 at $3.4 billion; so its not as if they couldn't absorb it.

Yeah I feel exactly the same way. I got a bit this month but no where like I was buying for a long long time. I think the price increases have annoyed me a bit now. Even seeing in smyths some sets are reduced but there reduced to what their full price was prior to the lego price increase so in my mind I am thinking there is no savings as I can remember what their prices were. The razor crest was meant to be 530 euro but upped to 600 with the price increases. I say the price increases will put a lot of people being selective and more careful on what they buy now. I wonder will lego's profits be huge tho this year still or will the price increases cover them and no dip to profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Got the Lego email this morning about the retiring soon sets. There were two that caught my eye, the Imperial Probe Droid and the Patrol Trooper Helmet. I hadn't been particularly fussed about either of them. I'd said before I had not gotten that helmet because then I'd want to get the others and I'm not pushed about them. I'd come to the conclusion that 70 was alright for the droid, then I figured well if I'm spending 70, then I may as well get a speed champions car, or something small for 20 to get the gift with purchase sandwich shop, which again I wasn't really pushed about.

Went up to Grafton Street on my lunch break anyway and I wasn't expecting them to have that set because it is old and retiring soon. Ended up getting the 40574 Lego Store set. In the space of about hour beforehand I'd gone from not planning on spending anything, to spending €70, to not spending anything because I didn't really need/want it, to spending €90 because I'd get the GWP, to not spending anything because I was firm with myself that I didn't need it and I've loads to build already, to spending €37 on something that wasn't even on my radar. 😄

My "big" sets tend to be in the €70-€110 range and I wouldn't be getting a huge amount anyway, I know what sets I want to get. I suppose it doesn't affect me with like the Aston Martin double Speed Champs going up €5, or the Technic MacLaren going up €20 as much as someone who might be getting four or five sets a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Yes exactly what i thought - i was thinking to post on the UCS Razorcrest (why i came on boards at this hour ha). Love Mando but like come on how many people will go for that 600 damage at this climate ye...

For me I will still follow lego news as usual but ya I would only buy some set when there is great offer (like the Mario ? box at 130e).

why should they absorb it? they're not a charity. Lego price increases are c20% and the exact same region as most manufacturing companies. you need to get over it and get with the times.

UK gas was 50p per therm 3 years ago and today it's 300p. Lego are well within their right to do what every other company are doing - manufacturing costs have increased 40-80% in just 18 months.

If they see volume drop they will react and drop their prices to take a hit in margin, that's up to them. They've obviously decided financially the increases will hold volume and profits.

"They're not a charity"

"You need to get over it and get with the times".

I think you need to relax a bit and get some fresh air given how triggered and dismissive you are during a fairly amicable discussion.

The majority of my comment was addressing the release of high value sets and the widening gap between mid-range and high-end sets.

your post that i replied to was about the rising cost of Lego and how its really starting to price people out of sets.

there's always a market for €400+ sets and that market is actually growing. In a recession a lot of people get richer or not impacted - the divide between rich and poor gets wider.

In terms of price increases - yes I would be dismissive on your view that they'd even consider absorbing these costs. I dont find this triggering more amusing that people would think they can evade manufacturing cost increases.

Anyone picking up some sets for the GWP this evening? Probably the most interested I've been in a GWP set in a long time.

Kind of tempted by the lighthouse, boutique hotel or the Bowser set. The lighthouse looks an awesome display piece but is a bit pricey for what it is. Anyone picked up the lighthouse or boutique hotel and can recommend?

I'm guying some xmas presents this week but waiting until tomorrow morning to get Ray the Castaway set.

Boutique Hotel is a stunning set. I building home alone right now and have the castle to build so once done i'll pick up the hotel early next year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How are the queues at the store at the moment? Have things calmed down? I'll be in Dublin in two weeks and was hoping to make my first trip, but I'll only have before work or else lunchtime.

No queues in anymore but the minifig station is always jammed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great news, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Was up there at lunchtime on Tuesday and it was fine, there was no queue or wait to get in. Not particularly busy or crowded inside.

I was there yesterday at lunch, no problems moving around the store. However, I'd say the minifig station is a lot like Penney's 🤣 very disorganized and hard to find anything, nothing where it's supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Jacovs

How much does a minifig cost there in the store?

I am picking up my daughter the van Gogh set for Xmas so I will buy it after 12 to get the free gift castaway set and Halloween accessories bag. Ha them I will keep for me. A few flower sets as well for her but from the 10th October it's double VIP points for 5 days I believe. It overlaps with the desert island set for 2 days but it will probably be well sold out online but maybe in the lego store in town they won't be sold out so might be lucky there for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Weekdays are fine, I was heading there on Sunday afternoon and there was a queue of around 30 people so it seems weekends and public holidays will always be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Will the new GWP be available at the Lego store or just online? I'd prefer to give my custom to the shop if I can, but the extra sets come in handy as presents for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Ryano87

Bought the new office set @120. Got the gwp and something else spooky for VIPs. Gwp had said over 120 but I was 120 bang on and still got it

• Advertisement

Great set to get i will grab that for sure at some point

Advertisement